Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2015 FA Thread - OP Updated - Signings: Paea, Knighton, Culliver, Johnson, McCoy, Hill, Goldson

DC9

Getting rid of Garçon is crazy talk. He's our biggest playmaker with sure hands and he always fights for the ball. We will lose a lot if we ship him, the reason we're also not seeing as much of him now is that Cousins does not seem to have chemistry with him. We know Robert does and he needs Garçon, we need him. I would sooner get rid of DJax, he's a splash player, we don't need splash plays, we need good consistent football.

I'd be fine with parting ways with every player on the team over the age of 29, where we can without huge cap ramifications

Build around a nucleus of garçon, Jackson, Trent, RGIII, and Morris on offense. **** everyone else (depending on how reed finishes)

On defense keep Amerson, breeland, baker, Kerrigan, Robinson. **** everyone else

Lets get young. I'm okay with FA signings but I want 26 year olds, not 32 year olds

Will not happen. But fun to dream

Forgot about Keenan.  I'd keep him, too.  50/50 on Amerson but why not?

I love DJax and 88, but if we can trade them for some picks I'd prefer that. 

Not sure when the new trade deadline is, I know the old one would've just past.  But we probably don't have more than a couple of weeks at most.

!.  Tramon Williams CB

2. Joe Barksdale  OT

3. Clint Boling  OG 

4. Stefan Wisnnewski C

5. Rahim Moore  SS

I'd be surprised if Wisnewski made it out of Oakland. (edit:  Plus I like Kory Lichtensteiger)

None of the others tickle my pickle... I'd rather draft the linemen for the team.

Rahim Moore is hot and cold, but he's cold in coverage a lot... which is our problem at safety.

Tramon Williams is too old.  Too old to begin the training.

None of our FAs are inspiring, but I'd re-sign a good portion of them (only at a reasonable price) to compete in camp - Helu, McCoy, Jenkins, Paul, Forbath.

Maybe Clark, Compton, Hankerson, Nield and some of the other safeties.

Can't really comment on the unknown guys (Ducre, Jeffcoat, etc.).

I know Cofield is getting up there, but I'm gonna withhold judgement until I see him play alongside Hatcher. If he plays well, then I'd keep him around another year and look to draft a guy to groom as his replacement.

Really hoping coaches see good things from our young olinemen, because if they don't we're looking at needing a good corner, safety, RT, G and dlineman, and that's forgetting about replacing Riley and Paul/Paulsen (a pretty key position with Reed's history.

what about Nate Allen of the Eagles?  I always like it when you can improve yourselves and hurt your rivals at the same time

I wouldn't waste much time thinking about "hurting my rivals". We need to sign players who have talent, character, fit our system, work within the cap and, since we're aways away from contending, are young. Worrying about taking away from anyone else is so fr down the list I would essentially ignore it.

And Allen just hasn't been that good. If you could get him cheap and think you can coach him up, I'd be fine with that. But he's far from a sure thing and you'l have a had time noticing Philly being hurt by him leaving.

Well...

That list is interesting.

At least fourteen of them (skimmed quick) are active roster players... And we only have $8M or so to work with as it stands. That doesn't bode well with Trent Williams, Ryan Kerrigan, Alfred Morris, and Robert Griffin's contracts coming up.

To be honest, and its NOT a knock on Kerrigan, I think he's a guy we could move on from as well and move forward without either Rak or him. Why? Has nothing to do with skill. Kerrigan is solid. But if he expects 8-9M per season, we could use that money elsewhere. If he's willing to sign for around 6M, well, the Skins would be stealing.

Morris may even be a guy we look at and say, "Here's your offer. I know its not as much as you want, but this is what we can realistically afford for you". Give him a good offer, but keep in mind running backs can be replaced easier than other positions.

The cap will go up some and the Skins can cut several players to free up money. I would think the team could sign Trent long-term and still have between $15 and $20 million to spend.

But they are going to have a lot of roster spots to fill.

Redskins Free 2015 Agents

Brian Orakpo - OLB and Franchise Player-Gone
Tyler Polumbus - Right Tackle-Gone
Roy Helu - Running Back-Re-sign
Jarvis Jenkins - Defensive End-Re-sign
Brandon Meriweather - Safety-Gone
Jamarca Sanford - Safety-Possible re-sign pending level of play
Leonard "Hank Time" Hankerson - Wide Reciever-Gone
"Swiss Army" Niles Paul - Tight End-Re-sign
Chris "Pocono Punisher" Neild - Nose Tackle-Gone
Santana Moss - Wide Reciever-Gone
Colt McCoy - QB-Re-sign
Akeem Jordan - Inside Linebacker-Gone
Ryan Clark - Safety-Re-sign (band-aid/leadership)
EJ Biggers - Cornerback-Gone
Trent Robinson - Safety-Re-sign
Duke "Cup of Coffee" Ihenacho - Safety-Cheap prove it contract for offseason
"Kobra" Kai Forbath - Kicker-Meh
Tom Compton - Tackle-Pending playing time/level of play-Re-sign?
Jackson Jeffcoat - DE/OLB-Pending playing time/level of play-Re-sign

Greg "Don't Call Me" Durce - Cornerback-No opinion
Nick Martinez - Guard-No opinion
Monte Lewis - Defensive End-No opinion
Sam Kirkland - Wide Reciever-No opinion
Tanard "Can't Get Right" Jackson - Safety-GONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Chris Campbell - Tackle-No opinion

- Top 10 Contracts GONE for 2015 -
** Stephen Bowen - $8 mil  --Gone
** Chris Chester - $4.8 mil--Gone

I dont understand why everyone is finding hope in next years draft..the front office will screw it up anyway because they dont know what there doing..hope fully they will get someone good with the 1st round pick but after that ...its going be a joke like always.

there is no reason for people with that opinion to even be here or watch games or have anything to do with the Redskisn

there is no reason for people with that opinion to even be here or watch games or have anything to do with the Redskisn

sorry to bust your bubble ..but its the truth..and just because your a fan that can see what you favorite team is all about doesn't mean they shouldn't be on here...I can see that our current front office doesn't know what they are doing..that cant build a complete team..yeah they get a few pieces here and there but thats about it ..this front office blows..

sorry to bust your bubble ..but its the truth..and just because your a fan that can see what you favorite team is all about doesn't mean they shouldn't be on here...I can see that our current front office doesn't know what they are doing..that cant build a complete team..yeah they get a few pieces here and there but thats about it ..this front office blows..

I'm with you on this one. It seems like we all get worked up over the draft and the players we get, and none can deliver.

Murphy, Long and Moses were our top 3 picks in 2014. I would like to see them contribute at some point this year. They should all be starters next year. Breeland looks like a strong pick in the 4th. 

I'm with you on this one. It seems like we all get worked up over the draft and the players we get, and none can deliver.

Murphy, Long and Moses were our top 3 picks in 2014. I would like to see them contribute at some point this year. They should all be starters next year. Breeland looks like a strong pick in the 4th.

yeah. .exactly. .there where stronger players than Murphy on the board when we picked at the top of the second...im not sure if moses or Murphy will be starting material. .while the teams that draft well already have there picks making impacts on there team..more prove our front office isn't very good.

yeah. .exactly. .there where stronger players than Murphy on the board when we picked at the top of the second...im not sure if moses or Murphy will be starting material. .while the teams that draft well already have there picks making impacts on there team..more prove our front office isn't very good.

And how many of us were standing around screaming to take a flyer on Seantrel Henderson? Now he's the starting Tackle in Buffalo. We had a distinct need at OL/OT and we drafted Moses, which is great, but why not take a flyer on someone like Henderson. There are multiple instances where that has happened in recent years. I was pretty high on Breeland, and that does seem to be working out. But some of the other picks mystify me. If Long doesn't pan out, that's another 3rd round relative no-name OG ... drafted 2-3 rounds earlier than projected ... like LeReibus ... when guys like Cyril Richardson were still around.

And how many of us were standing around screaming to take a flyer on Seantrel Henderson? Now he's the starting Tackle in Buffalo. We had a distinct need at OL/OT and we drafted Moses, which is great, but why not take a flyer on someone like Henderson. There are multiple instances where that has happened in recent years. I was pretty high on Breeland, and that does seem to be working out. But some of the other picks mystify me. If Long doesn't pan out, that's another 3rd round relative no-name OG ... drafted 2-3 rounds earlier than projected ... like LeReibus ... when guys like Cyril Richardson were still around.

I have a problem with this kind of fan backpatting.  People were also saying we should have taken Cyrus Kouandijo with out original second round pick.  And he's the guy that Seantrel Henderson beat out for the starting job.  And LeReibus was unfortunately a guy who was drafted for a certain scheme.  He was also listed as 3-4 round from what I've seen of old scouting reports

I dont understand why everyone is finding hope in next years draft..the front office will screw it up anyway because they dont know what there doing..hope fully they will get someone good with the 1st round pick but after that ...its going be a joke like always.

Hope springs eternal.

Maybe they'll get lucky and mid/late round gem.

I think we'd woefully regret moving Garcon (not that I think it would happen). Garcon is actually helping to open Jackson a bit. Teams have to account for Garcon. He's a big bodied receiver who can catch the ball in traffic, make someone miss and get a ton of YAC. Garcon is a possession receiver. Teams have decided to take him away. As a result, Jackson has had an incredible impact. They compliment each other quite well. And Roberts is a very nice addition in the slot.

I agree that he's our best receiver.  He is also a punishing blocker.  But to zero out you have to say goodbye to some folks with value.  Realizing this is all hypothetical, of course, but of the guys with value that are not "100% not going anywhere" types, he'd be the hardest to say goodbye too.

Redskins Free 2015 Agents

Ryan Clark - Safety-Re-sign (band-aid/leadership)

Not 100% confident he'll want to play after this year. 

I agree that he's our best receiver.  He is also a punishing blocker.  But to zero out you have to say goodbye to some folks with value.  Realizing this is all hypothetical, of course, but of the guys with value that are not "100% not going anywhere" types, he'd be the hardest to say goodbye too.

Not 100% confident he'll want to play after this year. 

Also, he'll be 36, is slow, and is missing tackles. Time to find some younger guys that can play. First, Skins need to find some coaches that can coach those young guys up!

Also, he'll be 36, is slow, and is missing tackles. Time to find some younger guys that can play. First, Skins need to find some coaches that can coach those young guys up!

My confidence in the defense will go up with two words.... Lou Spanos.  Or - Wade Phillips.  Heck, even - Rex Ryan.

Our personnel isn't BAD and frankly I'm floored by how we are seeing the same crap year after year.

Not saying we don't need upgrades in areas and depth in others, but we definitely should be better than this.

Anywho... don't get me started on one James Hasbeen.

That's what I thought. I was sure that Bruce had set the cap up for future years. Not sure why some are saying we can't re-sign some guys.

Not sure anyone said we "can't" re-sign people, but as always, choices have to be made at some point.

Whether we are particularly "set up" for the future is debatable I suppose. But most of the "setting up" is the fact that the cap is going up and we haven't re-signed any of our important pieces yet.

What people seem to like to ignore is that, when the cap goes up, it does so for the other 31 teams as well. This is going to drive players' salaries way up in the process. It also means that while people think heading in to the 2016 FA period with, say, $30 mil available sounds spectacular, the odds are there will be about a dozen teams with $50-60 mil at hand. Which means maybe don't get your heart set on a certain player or two because we could easily be outbid.

Not sure anyone said we "can't" re-sign people, but as always, choices have to be made at some point.

Whether we are particularly "set up" for the future is debatable I suppose. But most of the "setting up" is the fact that the cap is going up and we haven't re-signed any of our important pieces yet.

What people seem to like to ignore is that, when the cap goes up, it does so for the other 31 teams as well. This is going to drive players' salaries way up in the process. It also means that while people think heading in to the 2016 FA period with, say, $30 mil available sounds spectacular, the odds are there will be about a dozen teams with $50-60 mil at hand. Which means maybe don't get your heart set on a certain player or two because we could easily be outbid.

w should have significantly more than 30 million IMO and I'm not talking about getting into a bidding war with anyone.  I don't care much about football besides the Redskins so I barely know who's out there.  There's no one I have my heart set on, and frankly I think it's dumb for a fan to do that, but I know there's people out there.

My main thoughts is that I want to see us invest in young guys to develop. I'd rather keep a quiet FA front (kinda like we started off last year). I suspect we'll be involved in dealing with a few young FAs who could make an impact, but I hope we don't go after guys like Hatcher again.

I have a feeling that after a year at the helm, Gruden will have a much better idea of the type of guys he wants. So I look to see 2 or 3 new starters on the OL (hopefully those are guys already on the roster), 1-2 new DL, 1-2 new LBs, 1 new CB, and 2 new S. By new I don't mean new to the roster, but new as in guys who aren't starters for us right now.

I want to see our young guys we drafted or who were backups this year (Murphy, Long, T. Compton, Lerib, Moses, Breeland, W. Compton, T. Robinson, F. Kearse) take some of these starting positions, and then for us continue to sign former UDFAs who could be talents if we invest the time in them either on the practice squad, or playing special teams, or small roles on defense as they grow into full players.

Archived