Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2015 FA Thread - OP Updated - Signings: Paea, Knighton, Culliver, Johnson, McCoy, Hill, Goldson

DC9

I still can't believe we freakin signed Lavao last year out of the gates. Good god.

If you told me at this point last year, "hey, guess what ... we're going to sign a RG in Free agency for $5m a year and trade back and draft a LG and RT in the 3rd round" ... I would say ... YES! ABOUT TIME! I'm so happy we are going to address the OL!

How is it possible that we are worse off than we were last year?! LOL

I still can't believe we freakin signed Lavao last year out of the gates. Good god.

If you told me at this point last year, "hey, guess what ... we're going to sign a RG in Free agency for $5m a year and trade back and draft a LG and RT in the 3rd round" ... I would say ... YES! ABOUT TIME! I'm so happy we are going to address the OL!

How is it possible that we are worse off than we were last year?! LOL

Because we have idiots building the football team.

If the Redskins do spend big on free agency this year I hope there are teams cutting some good players for cap reasons because the current list of free agents sure isn't worth getting excited about. Also if the current front office structure doesn't change it will be very hard to get excited about the players they will bring in after the Porter, Hatcher, Roberts, Lauvoa, crappy ILB haul/fiasco from last year.

based on reputation isn't having Bulaga on your team kind of the exact opposite of that

He's had two season-ending injuries, but he preceeded those with full seasons of solid play. Even if we label him as injury prone, though, we'd also have Don Barclay returning who's a solid backup at the position that and played in for him during those injury seasons. As of right now we're just an injury away at Tackle from being in trouble (unless J.C. Tretter shows he can play there at the NFL level, but we drafted him to convert him to a Center). Bulaga re-signs and Barclay heals and I feel comfortable being able to withstand injuries which has been rather important in GB (although aside from losing Barclay and Raji before the start of the season, we've actually been pretty fortunate this season; at least compared to what we've dealt with the last few years).

Your next Green Bay offensive lineman is Cody Whitehair from Kansas State. 

Get to know him, Ted will get him.

On a related note, I should start checking out the comprehensive draft database thread. I guess we're far enough into the season to have an idea of what we need. Just curious, is this guy expected to go in the 4th round? That's where we hit on our OL (Bakhtiari, Sitton, Lang, and Tretter). Also, is he a LT? I think Linsley is the only OL we've drafted in forever who didn't play LT in college.

I really don't get the hate for free agency. How does the 49ers d look without Justin smith? How about that Seattle offense without marshawn? Buffalo d without mario? NO without brees? Denver without peyton?

Hell, just look at some of our own FA signings.  London Fletcher, Santana Moss, DJax, Garcon.  For all the bad signings there are quite a few good ones too.

Just curious, is this guy expected to go in the 4th round?

He's a 2nd rounder in my book. 

He's got very good movement skills, light on his feet, he bounces. But he likewise recognizes stunts and movement quickly. He picks 'em up and can redirect with ease.

His movement skills mean he can play edge at the next level. He's just got it. However, sizewise, he's a bit on the small side. The frame just isn't all that big. That's the only reason his stock will be somewhat tempered.

Lots of people lazily call him a Guard because of his size or frame, they be off. I don't think you put him in a place where he'll have to face the larger and heavier d-linemen, you keep his movement skills for the edge, against speed.

Besides, your Packer offensive linemen are all basically cookie cutter molds anyway. Everyone the same height and the same width.

Anything could happen, he could last to the 3rd, who knows. He's a 2nd for me.

That's where we hit on our OL (Bakhtiari, Sitton, Lang, and Tretter).

I think Whitehair can start Day 1 at RT. And mind you I posted often, was high on, and wanted to draft both Bulaga and Barclay -- in their respective years. Whitehair beats 'em out. I think he could challenge Bakhtiari at LT as well, assuming Bakhtiari is still your LT. 

Interesting, he gave me an immediate Packer vibe at first glance. Later on, he gave me a bit of a Sitton style of play, with movement skills that rival Bakhtiari movement skills.

Also, is he a LT? I think Linsley is the only OL we've drafted in forever who didn't play LT in college.

Yep, he plays LT.

He started off his K-State career at Right Tackle and then Left Guard. But like I said, because of his movement skills, he's just the most talented guy in their corps and as such, he's put at the premier spot.

He's a redshirt Junior, doesn't have to come out this year. But is a top 100 if he did.  

Damn! Chris Harris, Jr. Re-signed with the Broncos for 5 years $42 million. Didn't think they'd be able to bring him back with Demaryius and julius being FAs

They couldn't let him leave with how he's played this year.  At 8.4 mil a year he took FAR less than he could have.  He accepted the 11th biggest contract for corners when he has been a top 10 corner the past 3 years.

Bright side is they can't possibly resign everyone and I really like Orlando Franklin at RT or G (except for his amount of penalties, they're among the worst in the league by a mile).

I'd take Demaryius Thomas .... but he's probably going to sign a Megatron type of deal ... 7 year $120 million range. :/

And plus we have too many wr.  I think they'll work hard to resign him and Julius Thomas, both of them are playing at very team friendly deals, so they are going to take up a much larger portion of the cap next year.  I wouldn't mind poaching Franklin and Nate Irving from them.

Bright side is they can't possibly resign everyone and I really like Orlando Franklin at RT or G (except for his amount of penalties, they're among the worst in the league by a mile).

I would love to get Franklin

Also if the current front office structure doesn't change it will be very hard to get excited about the players they will bring in after the Porter, Hatcher, Roberts, Lauvoa, crappy ILB haul/fiasco from last year.

I know that haul was bad but you shouldn't lump Jason Hatcher in there.

Some FA targets-

Da'Norris Searcy-FS

Michael Roos-OT

Joe Barksdale-OT

Iupati-OG

James Carpenter-OG

If Griffin is traded-QB journeyman/vet QBs with wco/pro-style college roots-

Dan Orlovsky

Matt Flynn

Christian Ponder

Jake Locker

Ryan Mallett

Jimmy Clausen

(yes folks that is what the FA QB wilderness looks like)

Some FA targets-

Da'Norris Searcy-FS

Michael Roos-OT

Joe Barksdale-OT

Iupati-OG

James Carpenter-OG

Dan Orlovsky

Matt Flynn

Christian Ponder

Jake Locker

Ryan Mallett

Jimmy Clausen

Um, let's just keep RG and get an o line.  Oh yeah and a coach.  And Wade Phillips as DC.  And a GM....

I can't imagine RG3 is back ... but I think we're just as well off rolling with Cousins or McCoy at QB over any of those journeymen. If you really do intend to target QB in the 2016 draft, then you see what those guys can bring you next year. 

Devin McCourty is still my #1 target. I imagine the Pats will do whatever they can to retain him. Hell, I wanted him bad in Madden, and simulated a season to get him 3 times and every time the Pats re-signed him to a huge deal (and his rating was up to 99 by end of 2014)

I can't imagine RG3 is back ... but I think we're just as well off rolling with Cousins or McCoy at QB over any of those journeymen. If you really do intend to target QB in the 2016 draft, then you see what those guys can bring you next year.

I'm certain McCoy and Cousins will be back and IF Griffin is gone you would have to think they're either gonna bring in a vet/journeyman QB to compete and/or draft a developmental QB mid/late round. 

Devin McCourty is still my #1 target.

I don't want to get into a bidding war over a player a team is looking to re-sign. McCourty is good no doubt, I was talking about him awhile back. But if Searcy or Moore is gonna cost less it allows to spread FA dollars to address more areas.

I don't know about Matt Flynn. Hasn't he flopped in every chance he's had to be a starter? Wouldn't mind a look at Ponder or Mallett though.

Flynn hasn't had many opportunities. Last season was the only season he had the chance to start more than one game (also he had to do having been on three separate teams). Despite moving around so much, he managed a QBR of 85.7 for the season. He managed to lead GB to a .500 record in his playing time with us last season, including a tie where he came in off the bench in the second half to lead us in a comeback. Also had a big comeback win against Dallas after they took a huge half-time lead (however he was the QB in the first half, too).

Since you were speaking specifically to him as a starter, here are his stats in games he's actually started: He's 3-4 (3-3 in GB and 0-1 in Oakland) with a completion percentage of 64.6%, 16 TDs to 7 INTs, 7.8 Yds/Attempt, and a passer rating of 98.2.

Maybe he's not anyone's long-term solution, but perhaps a veteran who can start while a team grooms their future QB and builds an O-line.

Flynn hasn't had many opportunities. Last season was the only season he had the chance to start more than one game (also he had to do having been on three separate teams). Despite moving around so much, he managed a QBR of 85.7 for the season. He managed to lead GB to a .500 record in his playing time with us last season, including a tie where he came in off the bench in the second half to lead us in a comeback. Also had a big comeback win against Dallas after they took a huge half-time lead (however he was the QB in the first half, too).

Since you were speaking specifically to him as a starter, here are his stats in games he's actually started: He's 3-4 (3-3 in GB and 0-1 in Oakland) with a completion percentage of 64.6%, 16 TDs to 7 INTs, 7.8 Yds/Attempt, and a passer rating of 98.2.

Maybe he's not anyone's long-term solution, but perhaps a veteran who can start while a team grooms their future QB and builds an O-line.

Thanks for the info.  I honestly didn't know much about him other than having a few opportunities and still bouncing around until he landed in GB again.

Dan Orlovsky

Matt Flynn

Christian Ponder

Jake Locker

Ryan Mallett

Jimmy Clausen

Dregs

What's amazing is that it's probably BETTER than what was available in 2010. I've posted that list a few times. And the QB Draft of 2010, apart from Bradford, was hideous. Tebow. Tebow was the second QB taken.

Edit: why I want Griffin back.

Also, shouldn't McCoy technicaly be on that list?

Given that Snyder owns the team, we will never win sh*t. I firmly believe that short of a Donald Sterling like scandal, we are forever doomed.

That being said, in the meantime we have to content ourselves with speculating and hoping for small changes like FA signings, draft choices, etc. What else can you do, really? We all follow the team and even though many of us know it's all for naught, our fandom prevents us from giving zero sh*t about the day to day, season to season happenings. Even though, rationally speaking, we shouldn't care what color we're painting the poop deck when the Titanic is going down.

Anyway, first time posting after lurking for a while off and on. These are my thoughts on FA:

1) Cut pretty much everyone you can short of franchise building blocks like Kerrigan, T. Williams, K. Robinson, Morris, Kory L., and those guys on their rookie contracts who show promise. Perry Riley, Hatcher, Bowen, Paulson, Merriweather, Clark, Chester, etc can go screw. Cut

RGknee.

2) Get comfortable with the idea that we are in major rebuilding mode. Draft, bring in a TON of young talent for try outs and start building a team from the ground up. Be comfortable with going 4-12, 6-10 for a couple seasons. Most championship teams do this in the years preceding their SB wins.

3) Have a QB competion between Kirk Cousins and a FA signing. Draft a QB to develop in the mid-late rounds. If Kirk is the guy, great. If not, it's not a big issue because we're building a team, not building s team around a particular QB

4) Do NOT make a splash in FA. Make the kind of small moves that build for the future. A few ideas: A) Chris Conte. If Chicago lets him walk, sign him to a deal. He is incredibly underrated. I do not mean he is great, but I think he is solid esp in coverage and can be had for a bargain. Would immediately upgrade the safety spot, which has been in shambles.

B) Clint Boling. The one position I think a splash should be made is Guard, since both of ours are terrible and it has been hard to evaluate QB play with such a bad line. If we're going to develope a QB, we should protect him. Draft Schrieff at RT in the first, get another guard on the cheap. That would give us a competent OL. The Cincy connection with Gruden could give us an inside edge on signing him.

Sorry if I've strayed from the FA topic at all with my thoughts on rebuilding the team, but I had to clarify why I think FA is not the answer to our problems. Long and short, my view on FA for this team right now is DONT.

Sorry if I've strayed from the FA topic at all with my thoughts on rebuilding the team, but I had to clarify why I think FA is not the answer to our problems. Long and short, my view on FA for this team right now is DONT.

All you had to say was our past 15 years history is proof that FA isn't the answer to our problems.

Archived