Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2015 FA Thread - OP Updated - Signings: Paea, Knighton, Culliver, Johnson, McCoy, Hill, Goldson

DC9

Is there a 2015 roster thread?  

Yeah, I think you've found it.  Start with the OP...

Redskins 2015 Free Agents

Brian Orakpo - OLB and Franchise Player

Tyler Polumbus - Right Tackle

Roy Helu - Running Back

Jarvis Jenkins - Defensive End

Brandon "French Pastry" Meriweather - Safety

Jamarca Sanford - Safety

Leonard "Hank Time" Hankerson - Wide Reciever

"Swiss Army" Niles Paul - Tight End

Chris "Pocono Punisher" Neild - Nose Tackle

Santana Moss - Wide Reciever

Colt "Aww Shucks" McCoy - QB

Akeem Jordan - Inside Linebacker

Ryan "the mouth" Clark - Safety

EJ Biggers - Cornerback

Trent Robinson - Safety

Duke "Cup of Coffee" Ihenacho - Safety

"Kobra" Kai Forbath - Kicker

Tom "Straight Outta" Compton - Tackle

Jackson "Papa Was a Rolling Stone" Jeffcoat - DE/OLB

Greg "Don't Call Me" Durce - Cornerback

Nick Martinez - Guard

Monte Lewis - Defensive End

Sam Kirkland - Wide Reciever

Tanard "Can't Get Right" Jackson - Safety

Chris "I'm not Jason" Campbell - Tackle

Brian Orakpo I would let walk and see what he can get on the market.  He could come back if the money is right.

The players in red I would not offer contracts to.

The players in bold I would consider priorities to resign.

The others I don't have strong opinions on either way.

Edit - the list may need to be updated because we've added players.  Chris Thompson (back), Justin Rogers, Steve Beauharnais, and a few others.  i would give any of them a shot as well this off-season.

I think Jarvis Jenkins could be a serviceable, cheap back-up. Same with Paul. Also, keep Jeffcoat and Travardo Williams around as ST guys who can play in spots in relief. We need depth and they are young guys we can keep around for cheap.

I've seen some "top 50" free agent lists but most are out-dated. I will see if I can come up with some today ... but does anyone know who the top young FA are at FS, CB, NT, DE, OG and RT? Those should be areas of emphasis and then use the draft the fill in the gaps and add depth/playmakers. 

I like the idea of bringing in Jermaine Gresham as a blocking TE to line up opposite Jordan.

Anyone else think its a good idea to extend Kerrigan his offseason?

The guys proven quality who deserves a long term deal, if we let him play 2015 out on his final year then we'll potentially be looking at the tag next year at 10mil plus on a one year rental.

His 2015 cap number will be 7mil anyway....I say lock him up on a long term deal this offseason.

Hell yes, he absolutely needs to be extended! Probably the most consistent player on the team.

Also, at least from the looks of things, there's only three premier *young* OL in FA:

1. G Mike Iupati, 27 years old (SF)

2. T Bryan Bulaga, 26 years old (GB)

3. G James Carpenter, 25 years old (SEA)

Some interesting names at ILB if we choose to go that route:

1. Ray Maualuga, 27 years old (CIN)

2. Rolando McClain, 25 years old (DAL) - Dallas won't have the money to pay him after his big year

3. Brandon Spikes, 27 years old (BUF)

OLB:
1. Justin Houston, 26 years old (KC)

2. Pernell McPhee, 26 years old (BAL)

3. Jabaal Sheard, 26 years old (CLE)

4. Brian Orakpo, 28 years old (WAS) *Deep 3-4 OLB market likely drives Rak's price down

*Left Jason Worilds off list, since I'm assuming PIT didn't future tag him last year with no intention to sign long-term

CB:

1. Brandon Flowers, 28 years old (SD)

2. Kareem Jackson, 26 years old (HOU)

3. Byron Mawell, 26 years old (SEA)

4. Buster Skrine, 25 years old (CLE)

FS:
1. Devin McCourty, 27 years old (NE)

2. Louis Delmas, 27 years old (MIA)

3. Rahim Moore, 25 years old (DEN)

4. Stevie Moore, 27 years old (NYG)

5. Nate Allen, 27 years old (PHI)

6. Da'Norris Searcy, 26 years old (BUF)

SS:

1. Antrel Rolle, 32 years old (NYG)

2. Patrick Chung, 27 years old (NE)

My FA Pipe Dream List from the above list:

1. Devin McCourty, FS New England - 5 star signing

2. Brandon Flowers, CB San Diego - 4 star signing

3. Clint Boling, OG Cincinatti - 3 star signing

4. Rolando McClain, ILB Dallas - 3 star signing

5. Brian Orakpo, OLB Washington - 3 star signing

6. Jermaine Gresham, TE Cincinatti - 2 star signing

5 star = $8+ million/yr

4 star = $6-8 million/yr

3 star = $4-6 million/yr

2 star = $2-4 million/yr

1 star = $500k - $2 million/yr

Those signings, IMO, would free us up to go OG/OT in the 2nd ... SS in the 3rd ... trade back and go DL in the 1st with a WR/DL 2nd round pick acquired via trade-back.

Of course that sort of off-season would be shot down as an "off-season championship" ... but we've got the money and those signings would all be considered young, up and coming guys.

what about 3-4 DE

I'm not as familiar with the scheme fits for these guys but here's the list of DTs. They have a couple listed with 3-4 DE in parentheses but only two of them, so I don't know if that means the others are in-between, could be fits, or what. But here's the list of the young guys:

DT/DE:

1. Jared Odrick, 26 years old (MIA)

2. BJ Raji, 28 years old (GB)

3. Dan Williams, 27 years old (ARI) - unsure on him

DT/NT:

1. Ahtyba Rubin, 28 years old (CLE)

2. Terrance Knighton, 28 years old (DEN) - might be too tall to play Nose. Plays DT and is a monster but height, not sure a fit. 

Yeah, in a flooded pass-rushing market (Jerry Hughes, Justin Houston, McPhee, Worilds, Sheard) I would imagine Rak, coming off an injury and being older than the rest, could be had for what would amount to a "Bargain" given his skill-set. Same with Gresham ... he's not much of a downfield threat and hasn't lived up to his first-round pick status ... but could be a good blocking TE and a spell for Reed in the pass game. 

Gresham and Boling make a lot of sense to me ... Boling can come in and play LG and is obv. going to be a Gruden guy ... same with Gresham. Those two would go a long way in improving our pass-protection given their abilities. Takes a bit of the onus off drafting OL ... would still like to see someone like Erving who is versatile get taken in the 2nd, but that would free up RT for Moses/Compton and allow us to focus primarily on the defense in the draft. 

I can't really think of an occasion, outside of maybe Mario Williams ... where the top paid guy in an off-season really pans out for the signing team. That's probably different this year with so many outright studs available, but I would love to continue the approach of bringing in young guys on medium-level contracts ...

If we are going to spend "big" on anyone I would prefer that it be a FS ... Devin McCourty seems about as close to can't miss at that position ... and would be worth every penny given our issues back there. 

I'm not in favor of drafting Landon Collins ... but IF IF IF that were our pick, and we also signed McCourty to play FS, I think our pass-defense would be markedly improved, even with no improvement in the pass-rush front. Add in a CB like Flowers and bump Amerson to CB4/5 behind Breeland/Flowers/Hall/Porter and you might have one of the best secondaries in the league, and the DL would benefit from coverage sacks.

a Breeland-McCourty-Collins-Flowers secondary with Hall/Porter/Amerson in Nickel would be real nice. 

I would only consider re-signing Niles Paul, Jarvis Jenkins and Colt McCoy......All as backups and low cost.

and that's why you're not a GM -

Neild would be solid depth for NT as would Robinson for Safety, Jordan inside and Helu as 3rd/change of pace.  Compton, Forbath, Jeffcoat are starters or on the cusp of starting and would be had for cheap.

You can't just let them all walk, especially for as cheap as they will come.  If you let them go then that is more depth/capable starters you're losing.  By doing what you say, you're just making a hole deeper.

and that's why you're not a GM -

Neild would be solid depth for NT as would Robinson for Safety, Jordan inside and Helu as 3rd/change of pace.  Compton, Forbath, Jeffcoat are starters or on the cusp of starting and would be had for cheap.

You can't just let them all walk, especially for as cheap as they will come.  If you let them go then that is more depth/capable starters you're losing.  By doing what you say, you're just making a hole deeper.

wasn't he just talking the UFA?  Robinson is an ERFA, Jeffcoat would be too(I've never even seen his name on the lists),Compton and I think Forbath would be RFA.  And if Jordan means Akeem Jordan he was cut from IR. 

I would not spend big money in Free Agency for a D Lineman ever again.  It may work out sometimes, but it's so rare.  

We've been burnt so many times over the years with signing or trading for D Linemen that I just want to draft that position from now on.

Pick up depth if needed after the 1st wave of players sign, but small money and no long term deals.  We need to focus our drafts on the big boys, because teams don't usually let them walk.  

The good ones that are free get paid too much for team building, leave them for contenders.

Draft the fat boys.

I can't really think of an occasion, outside of maybe Mario Williams ... where the top paid guy in an off-season really pans out for the signing team. 

I think the guys on the outsides like corners and wide receivers do better playing for their new teams after free agency than the big boys usually do.  Again, you just don't let those guys walk unless there's an issue, and even then they get really well paid.

The moves you describe are sound to me.

I would not spend big money in Free Agency for a D Lineman ever again.  It may work out sometimes, but it's so rare.  

We've been burnt so many times over the years with signing or trading for D Linemen that I just want to draft that position from now on.

Pick up depth if needed after the 1st wave of players sign, but small money and no long term deals.  We need to focus our drafts on the big boys, because teams don't usually let them walk.  

The good ones that are free get paid too much for team building, leave them for contenders.

Draft the fat boys.

we've had worse luck signing FA offensive linemen.  And while I'm not a big believer that DL is a drastic need I expect we'll be saying good bye to some people for cap reasons so we'd need replacements

Archived