Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2015 FA Thread - OP Updated - Signings: Paea, Knighton, Culliver, Johnson, McCoy, Hill, Goldson

DC9

Grab Gipson in free agency and that kid(safety) from UVA in the 3rd round if he's available. Safety solved.

Grab one of the top 3 ILB when available in the 2nd. Turns into a strength.

And assuming we trade down with our first pick, grab the top OL(for either RT or guard) and Todd Gurley if he's available with our acquired pick. BOOM\

Wishful thinking.

B) Clint Boling. The one position I think a splash should be made is Guard, since both of ours are terrible and it has been hard to evaluate QB play with such a bad line. If we're going to develope a QB, we should protect him. Draft Schrieff at RT in the first, get another guard on the cheap. That would give us a competent OL. The Cincy connection with Gruden could give us an inside edge on signing him.

Sorry if I've strayed from the FA topic at all with my thoughts on rebuilding the team, but I had to clarify why I think FA is not the answer to our problems. Long and short, my view on FA for this team right now is DONT.

Two common conceptions many of us have, that I don't think Jay shares.

1.  Jim Halsett needs to go.  Jay seems to think he's a good D coordinator and said today he's done a good job, on the weekend he talked about how he can whip out smart exotic blitzes, etc.

2.  Our Ogs aren't good.   In two recent interviews on 980, he complemented both Lauvao and Chester as having good years.    

Got a bad feeling Haz stays. At least he comes up with some good game plans against NFC east foes.

if he stays, i would like to see the team make a rule that the ONLY teams he can call plays against are giants, eagles, and cowboys. every other game, get the **** out of the way and let someone else do it that actually knows what they're doing. that would actually be pretty hilarious :lol:

well, we drafted a guard and a tackle last year so we had to know the positions needed improvement.  And the tackle we drafted is likely to be out till the end of camp.  So hopefully the team's not deluded enough to think they're set at OL

well, we drafted a guard and a tackle last year so we had to know the positions needed improvement.  And the tackle we drafted is likely to be out till the end of camp.  So hopefully the team's not deluded enough to think they're set at OL

Maybe.   But if we are sticking with the script of honest Jay, in back to back interviews with Doc Walker, he went out of his way to praise both Chester and Lauvao for having good seasons.  If he really thinks that way, am guessing they don't look at guard.  The fact that they drafted a guard this last draft if anything IMO cements the idea that they likely think they are ok.

I personally don't agree.  But Jay has his own unique way of seeing things apparently.

The correct answer is that people go to work in exchange for money. Yeah, it's entirely possible that someone would go to New England or Denver if offered the same money to play there as here. Then again, they might come here for the increased likelihood of playing time.

Teams, no matter how bad or disjointed, have never had trouble finding players to take their money. The whole notion of "no one will come here" is tired and frankly nonsensical.

The problem is that if we have to spend a premium to get starting quality talent to come here then we have less cap space to sign quality depth.

Say what you want about Allen, but he doesn't dish out crazy contracts.

Lauvo could be considered crazy considering what he was worth and that he was our first target.

Hatcher has a big contract for an old DL with essentially one good year.

Perry Riley got too much money.

There are several more as well.

We might not have Haynesworth and Hall level contracts but that doesn't mean Allen won't screw the pooch with poor contract decisions

I'd be absolutely happy if Moses played ANYWHERE on the damn line. 

But he's got the dreaded lisfranc injury.  Isn't that one of the harder ones to come back from? When I heard it, I didn't think he'd be ready for the 2015 season regardless.  But I could be wrong. 

I REALLY REALLY want to see Long in there playing these last 2 games.  We're out of it.  Let's get him some reps.  I'd almost be inclined to say the same for Ribbs, but, eh, I've sortof written him off.  

IF, and this is a big IF, but IF Long actually could start next year, the pieces that you need to pick up look more manageable in 1 off-season.  I don't think you're going to get 2 OG and 1 RT to start in 1 off-season. And I wouldn't start 3 rookies on the OL anyway, if they all came from the draft.  

So getting Long to start, and maybe picking up a RT in FA, and drafting the best OG in the draft would really help things a lot...

Moses is a "forced" fit. We sooo want someone new to step up but Moses shouldn't play tackle. His feet are slow, he bends at the waist and DUCKS his friggen' head. Moses at guard is no better as he is passive and lets his guy come to him. He depends on his long arms and upper body strength to win his battles and he may be too "smart" for coaching. He doesn't finish like Scherf (few do) and he doesn't move laterally. At best we can give him a year to back up Trent and see what he can do..Compton's gotta play.Then we need at least one other starter on the line for day one next year. Agree that too many players in new places or positions lead to short term problems.

Just wanted to bring up some important facts for FA and the draft... I was doing some research and looking over team needs. I also put together a draft board. When ruling out our former/recent  draft picks we need to look at the coaching and time it takes to develop first. I want to bring to your attention a 2015 FA and possibly the top Offensive Right Tackle in Free Agency -- Joe Barksdale.

Barksdale would be a significant upgrade to our current RT situation. He has shown to be a dominant force in the run game and ranked in the top 10. However, he's the same Joe Barksdale who was drafted in the 3rd round of 2011 by the Raiders and could not even crack the practice squad and eventually landed on the Rams. At the time, there was a "should we" thread on  ES talking about Mr. Barksdale. I give you the link http://es.redskins.com/topic/356449-per-rotoworld-raiders-waive-2011-third-rd-pick-t-barksdale/. It's funny to go back and read some of the comments about how "if he cant even crack the Raiders squad, he won't do anything here."

It just goes to show you that it does take some time for guys to develop unless they are true blue-chip players. Now that same 3rd rounder who was cut by the Raiders and set on the waiver wire and could have been had is going to get paid a premium for his performance.

My goal in this is to note that Mr. Morgan Moses and Spencer Long could very well develop in what we need them to be and our OL situation may not necessarily be as bad come training camp. 

Do I think we should still look at pieces, well, of course... but you get the picture

Meoses isn't Barksdale even before the injury but you bring up a few good points: Barksdale was a SEC left tackle. He broke in as a left guard. Now he plays RT. Haven't see recent film but he SOUNDS promising. BTW, Rams took the second pick in the draft and made him a guard-for now. Why not Collins or Stanley or Scherff?

I really don't get the hate for free agency. How does the 49ers d look without Justin smith? How about that Seattle offense without marshawn? Buffalo d without mario? NO without brees? Denver without peyton?

All players are professionals, some may be looking for more of a payday than others, regardless of if they are signing with their old team or their new. There will always be bad fa signings, but there will be good ones as well.

As long as you aren't screwing your future cap, which we won't be, fa can be a valuable resource in building a team.

Well said.

It's poor player evaluation that leads to bad free agent acquisitions.

Anyone else think its a good idea to extend Kerrigan his offseason?

The guys proven quality who deserves a long term deal, if we let him play 2015 out on his final year then we'll potentially be looking at the tag next year at 10mil plus on a one year rental.

His 2015 cap number will be 7mil anyway....I say lock him up on a long term deal this offseason.

Before we realistically look at free agency or draft; we need to get the GM and Coaching situation straightened out.

Who will be making the personnel decisions?  This is vital we have someoine with competitence here.

Who among the coaching staff will be let go and who will replace them?  This is also vital.

We answer those 2 questions and then we can look at where we go from there.

Every position from QB, on down needs to be looked at.

Before we realistically look at free agency or draft; we need to get the GM and Coaching situation straightened out.

Who will be making the personnel decisions? This is vital we have someoine with competitence here.

Who among the coaching staff will be let go and who will replace them? This is also vital.

We answer those 2 questions and then we can look at where we go from there.

Every position from QB, on down needs to be looked at.

Right on bro...

The guys proven quality who deserves a long term deal, if we let him play 2015 out on his final year then we'll potentially be looking at the tag next year at 10mil plus on a one year rental.

His 2015 cap number will be 7mil anyway....I say lock him up on a long term deal this offseason.

Good thought. Though I'd want to know who gbs DC is first. And the system. If we're switching back to a 4-3, I might wait a year. If we're staying 3-4, I might do it.

Good thought. Though I'd want to know who gbs DC is first. And the system. If we're switching back to a 4-3, I might wait a year. If we're staying 3-4, I might do it.

The Kerrigan extension worries me because he has had good production on paper and he's going to ask for elite pass rusher money like Orakpo did. However, I don't feel he warrants it, as he is not the same class as the great pass rushers in this league. He's hardly ever pitted against LTs and doesn't warrant constant double teams. How the FO handles this will say a lot about this organization, and call me pessimistic but I'm pretty they'll find a way to screw this up.

I love Kerrigan, I think he is elite as a pass rusher..and I have no experience playing or analyzing football..BUT...it seems like he always gets his sacks at the beginning of the game, then disappears and just becomes a guy the rest of the game. Now, he admittedly has had some games where he makes a big impact...

I think part of the reason for that is that our DL isn't great so it doesn't help him, and the fact that Haslett fails to evolve his defense and adapt to the flow of the game, as probably another reason he disappears...anyone have any thoughts on this?

Despite all that, I say pay him. He is a young guy who has earned his money with on-field production and being a model teammate and player.

To quote Neon Deion, "Pay the Man" !

Archived