Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2015 FA Thread - OP Updated - Signings: Paea, Knighton, Culliver, Johnson, McCoy, Hill, Goldson

DC9

I don't even mind staying with the 3-4 so long as we bring in the right guy for the job... I wanted Kirby Smart last year and would be ok with Wade Phillips too... However, Smart is the better choice when it comes to youth and Wade may not be able to swallow his pride and work for someone nearly half his age

Smart also may not be leaving Alabama.  Why would he to be a DC here?

Also, Smart doesn't really do anything special - Bama just recruits REALLY well.  Simple system with superior athletes.  When your "X's" win 60 - 70% of the time you're going to win most of your games.  I'd rather have someone who can coach well with less as well as with talent.

Smart also may not be leaving Alabama.  Why would he to be a DC here?

Also, Smart doesn't really do anything special - Bama just recruits REALLY well.  Simple system with superior athletes.  When your "X's" win 60 - 70% of the time you're going to win most of your games.  I'd rather have someone who can coach well with less as well as with talent.

I personally love the guys intensity... he's a defensive mind, regardless of the talent even when he was with LSU and the Dolphins under Saban. Yea, they recruit well, but he pulls out the best and always has a top defense. He knows how to adjust week to week to the speeds of the offense (which varies much more in college than in the NFL) and I believe him, Olivadotti and Baker would create a masterpiece...

But would he want to leave such a successful college program for our crap... probably not. He'd probably beat his wife and kick the dog after one week of practice in Ole DC.

D @KDawg_ES 1m1 minute ago

@LaVarArrington: Outside of the love of the DMV the franchise stole my career1f4a3.png” wow.

LaVar Leap Arrington @LaVarArrington 3m3 minutes ago

My career led me to not having a choice as to where I landed in the draft. Outside of the love of the DMV the franchise stole my career1f4a3.png

JsteelzHttr24-7 @JsteelznSkins 14s15 seconds ago

It is a fact that Yes the Redskins are talking with Morris about D Coord Job

Talking to him and offering it to him are different things

I would just avoid free agency at all costs. Mail it in next year and look to the draft. It doesn't appear like RGIII has a future here so there's no point in trying to patchwork the team.

You cannot avoid free agency. You only get 7 picks a year on average to make changes on a 53 man roster. The math doesn't add up. However, avoid the first wave and perhaps the second wave of the high priced guys and try to find some bargain players or players who are released late like DeSean was. But you "cannot" avoid free agency. You'd literally have too many scrubs on your team.

You cannot avoid free agency. You only get 7 picks a year on average to make changes on a 53 man roster. The math doesn't add up. However, avoid the first wave and perhaps the second wave of the high priced guys and try to find some bargain players or players who are released late like DeSean was. But you "cannot" avoid free agency. You'd literally have too many scrubs on your team.

Collecting compensatory picks should be the goal for this "organization."

Yes you can avoid free agency. Speaking of shades of numbers, lose more free agents than you bring in.

We really don't have a choice, we simply have to. An example, the Raiders did it for two years in a row, now they have record cap space. They didn't have to forfeit a season because they couldn't get a 53 man roster. 

You literally bite the bullet. 

So what do compensatory picks do? - They give you more draft selections to satisfy your limiter of "you only get 7 picks a year on average."

Disagree on your philosophy of targeting "some bargain players." That's what our Free Agency philosophy was like last year, directed by Morrocco Brown. It was a loser of a Free Agent class. 

That bargain player free agent has been our philosophy since Bruce came to power in 2010. I remember some poster last offseason blew my mind away by listing nearly all of the "cheap" free agent signings we've had over the years under Bruce. Artis Hicks ring a bell? 

****. I nearly fell on the floor when I read it. 

How many guys did we bring in last year? - 12? ... 15?

I literally can't remember. Anyway, a bunch were no-names, back-ups, oft injured candidates. Collectively they did **** for us. Many cut, many zero impact. 

I literally hated the free agency philosophy last year and posted in media res during last year's thread. We had like somewhere between 14 to 16 "holes" on our roster and we tried using free agency to plug as many as we could. Often times the targets were cast-off back-ups. Didn't like it. 

I'm not missing Brown one bit. If we have openings for our special teams, 3rd string LB or personal punt protector, get those players from after the Draft. 

How do you make the math work?, as you asked: Undrafted, rookie free agents.

Additionally, you trade off commodities if you can secure multiple draft picks for one player. Even if that means selling your commodity at reduced yield.

"Too many scrubs"? - Is that even possible? 

We are already pretty talent depleted. What's the name of the LB we got in free agency from the Texans? - Ok, whatever his name is, he's had as much impact to our 4-12 success as any undrafted rookie could have. 

Sure, we'll have scrubs, but cheap scrubs, cheaper than the Free Agent scrubs we've been bringing in by the drove. Meanwhile, we might actually get a few compensatory picks at the end of the 3rd and the end of 4th rounds, to placate our talent deficiency. 

I like the idea of brining in, at most, somewhere around 3 guys during NFL Free Agency, this year. 

And, in most years, you target just a few "impact," starters for Free Agency. Maybe it's upwards of two or three, "impact" starters if your organization is trending upwards after successful drafts. 

Simply, I would target known commodities, not just bodies to fill out the spread sheet. 

But even if we followed my philosophy of targeting better athlete, impact, free agents ... for this year and probably the following year, I'm doing whatever it takes to get compensatory picks at the end of the 3rd round ... in that late #90s area. 

That means allowing starters to leave while not replacing them with starter level guys. 

To get compensatory picks you got to lose more free agents than free agents you sign. So, when someone says "avoid free agency," that should loosely be translated to: "bring in 2 or 3 guys, lose 6 or 7 guys." 

Then you've got the whole super-secret equation formula of how the NFL determines what type of compensatory picks you receive based upon the "talent level" of the free agent you lose versus the "talent level" of the free agents you bring in. 

Simply, you lose a "starter" like Orakpo, you don't replace him with a "starter level" free agent during the same window. You insure you lose more free agents, more talented free agents, than what you gain. 

The "late release," guy you mentioned in DeSean, I actually think he fits your other category of the "high priced guys." Not because of the actual money on the contract ... don't confuse that aspect.

You see, this is (in part) why I hate free agency, money seems to be the adjectives that describe ability for a lot of folks. It's simply that DeSean is a rare talent, and "impact" player. A starter, who by his own talents, would (should), receive a decent contract. Incidentally, he is worth a decent draft pick or picks. 

The "high priced guys" as you call them are the guys who have DeSean like ability. It is clear, hands-down, that DeSean has ability that few do in the NFL. Regardless of what his actually contract is, his ability puts him in top tier of talented NFL players.

So you see, despite whatever issues from the locker room and whatever issues off field that prevented the eagles from selling Jackson for draft picks, all that lead to his "modest" contract value with us. BUT his physical ability is clearly that of a "Day 1 Free Agent" type. Which you are saying we should avoid. 

I disagree.

compensatory picks aren't really something you can collect easily in the NFL, since it requires other teams to sign your free agents.  And there's only 32 per draft total

plus I'm pretty sure that only UFAs count.  Cut someone and he's picked up it doesn't count.

Look at our FA.  Rak will get interest.  Jenkins, Helu and Paul might, maybe Colt, but he did end the season hurt.  Now considering what we need it's not likely we'll get many compensation picks

compensatory picks aren't really something you can collect easily in the NFL, since it requires other teams to sign your free agents.  And there's only 32 per draft total

plus I'm pretty sure that only UFAs count.  Cut someone and he's picked up it doesn't count.

Look at our FA.  Rak will get interest.  Jenkins, Helu and Paul might, maybe Colt, but he did end the season hurt.  Now considering what we need it's not likely we'll get many compensation picks

Did I say anything about cutting someone to get a compensatory pick?

No.

But that works in the inverse for us. Signing someone who was cut doesn't count as an acquisition.

Read this: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/04/03/packers-prefer-compensatory-picks-over-unrestricted-free-agents/

Packers prefer compensatory picks over unrestricted free agents

Of course it's qualified unrestricted free agents. That because there are rules involved with restricted free agents which will involve direct compensation like draft picks ...

The ease of it is irrelevant.

The act of using the draft to fill a random roster spot is a better plan than using free agency. 

Teams are able to get compensatory picks every year. 

And we should be one of them.

To do so, you have to let the "starters" we have, which have brought us miracle seasons like 3-13 and 4-12, GO, and not sign someone else's overhyped player. 

It's that simple. 

Look at this blurb:  http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/24499306/nfl-gives-out-32-compensatory-picks-ravens-jets-lead-with-four

Steelers (third, #97 overall)

Packers (third, #98)

Ravens (third, #99)

49ers(third, #100)

All received a single third-round compensatory pick, the highest pick available.

Haha. What is the common denominator between the Packers, Ravens, 49ers and Steelers?

They are all lightyears ahead of us in terms of functional organizations and personnel departments. If getting compensatory picks are good enough for them, it's good enough for us. 

A top 100 selection is a "premium" draft selection. Of course, a Top 50 is better, a Top 30 is even better than that. But we are in no position to turn our nose up at the #97 overall selection. Not at ALL.

With a good scout and good GM, that can become a contributing player. I know ... I know. Since we cut our 4th and 5th and 6th rounder every year that statement is surprising, but it is true.

​Do you know how many compensatory picks baltimore received? - FOUR.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/24499306/nfl-gives-out-32-compensatory-picks-ravens-jets-lead-with-four

Four mother****ing compensatory picks in one draft. 

Jesus, that would blow the ****ing minds of the personnel department for us. 

Yes, you have to have a decently talented player leave in order to meet the compensatory criteria.

Yes, you have to draft well & be able to let that talented starter leave and fill from within the roster.

But ...

I mean, why not hand out a contract double the size of the average 4th rounder, in the upcoming draft, to a former 4th round Line-Backer who spent last year (or the previous year) injured and is now suddenly available in unrestricted Free Agency?

****, let's get TWO!

Special Teams baby!

Said this last year too but If there is any possible way to get Monk4thaHALL into our front office we have to figure it out.

Haha. You're going to give me a bigger ego than I already have.

Besides, Rufus might spontaneously combust, explode, if I were. 

If I get beamed up, so too does SteveMcQueen, Dukes & Skins, KDawg, Laron Burgundy, and DarrellGreenie. 

to get compensation picks other teams have to sign your players.  The Skins don't actually have many of their most talented available.  Rak with his injury history, Merriweather, Clark and Moss at their age.  Everyone else is role players, and many of them have injury histories.

Sign me up for:

1. Jared Odrick - DE, 28 years old, 6'5 304... great five technique if we stay with the 3-4

2. Brandon Flowers - CB. 28 years old, 5'9 187... rated as #1 corner through first 8 weeks

3. Clint Boling - OG, 26 years old, can also play RT, 6'5 310... key cog for Benglas OLine

4. Rahim Moore - S, 25 years old, 6'1 200... Battled back from that nasty leg injury. Ball hawk

I was wondering when I'd see a Boling suggestion.  Big need and someone I see Gruden wanting to bring in.  Didn't know the RT part, but I'm hoping for him a bit more now.

edit, kept reading and see he came up a bunch.  Gresham seems like a good idea as well.

Two common conceptions many of us have, that I don't think Jay shares.

1.  Jim Halsett needs to go.  Jay seems to think he's a good D coordinator and said today he's done a good job, on the weekend he talked about how he can whip out smart exotic blitzes, etc.

2.  Our Ogs aren't good.   In two recent interviews on 980, he complemented both Lauvao and Chester as having good years.    

With 1 looking to be being nice/political, maybe it's the same with 2.

I was wondering when I'd see a Boling suggestion.  Big need and someone I see Gruden wanting to bring in.  Didn't know the RT part, but I'm hoping for him a bit more now.

edit, kept reading and see he came up a bunch.  Gresham seems like a good idea as well.

I would be good with Boling for sure. But I would rather have Charles Clay or Lance Kendricks as our TE. Dudes can play.

I hope people realize that we're going to spend big money on DEF in FA, to help the new DC succeed and give him a higher chance of validating our choice to hire him.

Which probably means we spend more draft resources on the OFF, get Gruden "his guys". But you never know I guess.

I would be good with Boling for sure. But I would rather have Charles Clay or Lance Kendricks as our TE. Dudes can play.

I know Clay can't block, but I'm not sure about Kendricks. We need some dudes at TE who can block.

Getting compensatory picks would be nice. But basing a strategy around is frankly silly. Take this year's group. Suppose we sign nobody. Then, to get anything, you're hoping for an unlikely scenario where Orakpo gets a contract based on his reputation from a couple of years ago, and ignoring his health issues, and then he has a big comeback year. All that goes right, maybe you get a pick at the end of the 5th round. A 4th would take a mini-miracle. The rest of that group you're hoping for a 7th or two. Balance that kind of best-case return vs what even one god FA could do, say a Bryan Bulaga to shore up the pass pro,

The league's top teams often don't sign FAs because they have lots of talent to start with and the primary concern becomes keeping as many of their own as they can and that's where their cap gets spent. So they re-sign most of their talent and whatever leaves they get comp picks for what they don't. They don't go sign FAs because they don't need them and don't want to create cap problems by doing so. While Green Bay and Pitt avoid FAs as a rule, the other top teams (New England, Seattle, Denver, San Fran, Baltimore) can actually be pretty aggressive going after veteran talent. It's not that teams like that get comp picks because that's some super strategy for winning, it's an offshoot of what their organizational needs dictate. If they had major talent deficits like we do and decided not to acquire talent so they could get an occasional late round pick that would not be a sign of genius.

The smart way for us to use FA would be to identify a couple of young, long term solutions and sign them to contracts that maximize our cap space in the future, not now (i.e. not backloading contracts).

Archived