Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Thoughts on Cousins and the next few weeks

Vick could run, but could not throw.  For his career, he has 1 year throwing over 60% completions and only played 12 games that year.  Robert after 2 seasons had 2 years of over 60% completions.  What people seem to over-look is that Robert is a very accurate passer that can throw with touch or velocity.  This is true on short, medium and long passes.  Robert really only has 2 problems.  1 is his list of injuries.  I am sure we all want that to stop.  2 is his pocket presence.  He can throw from there, but tends to move too much as the pocket shrinks.  This will take more practice (in games to master.)  Kirk, seems comfortable not moving too much from the pocket.  Right now, this is working for him.  So is his quick decision making.  I don't say quick release, because that is a different thing.

I am excited for our backup.  But, he is the backup and will remain that if Robert gets fully healthy (or we win 4 of the next 5 games!!!!)

Have you talked to Coach Gruden about that yet? I'm pretty sure he's got other intentions floating up in that brain of his.

BS, Vick can throw. That's a misconception IMO. His QB ratings are: 94, 100, 84, 78, 86 (2009 - 2013 with the Eagles). Might not be the best, but would you also say that Matt Ryan can't throw? Here are his QB ratings over the same time period: 81, 91, 92, 99, 89.

beat me to it ... Vick could throw in a big way.  Problem is he never studied or even bothered to pretend to run the plays.  He has said as much.  He took the ball dropped back ... waited to see where the best place was to run and he took off ... unless something opened up as a sick pass option in which case he gunned it.

Vick could run, but could not throw.  For his career, he has 1 year throwing over 60% completions and only played 12 games that year.  Robert after 2 seasons had 2 years of over 60% completions.  What people seem to over-look is that Robert is a very accurate passer that can throw with touch or velocity.  This is true on short, medium and long passes.  Robert really only has 2 problems.  1 is his list of injuries.  I am sure we all want that to stop.  2 is his pocket presence.  He can throw from there, but tends to move too much as the pocket shrinks.  This will take more practice (in games to master.)  Kirk, seems comfortable not moving too much from the pocket.  Right now, this is working for him.  So is his quick decision making.  I don't say quick release, because that is a different thing.

I am excited for our backup.  But, he is the backup and will remain that if Robert gets fully healthy (or we win 4 of the next 5 games!!!!)

Yeah I was talking Vick as an elusive runner, I wasn't talking about his passing ability

BS, Vick can throw. That's a misconception IMO. His QB ratings are: 94, 100, 84, 78, 86 (2009 - 2013 with the Eagles). Might not be the best, but would you also say that Matt Ryan can't throw? Here are his QB ratings over the same time period: 81, 91, 92, 99, 89.

I think when people talk about Vick not being able to throw they're referring more to his pre-prison stint. QB ratings of: 62.7, 81.6, 69.0, 78.1, 73.1, and 75.7

Also, a note about those ratings you just gave...

That 94 rating came from 14 passes in 2009. If you're going to count that in the sample size then you need to count this year as well, where he's sitting at a 39.6 rating.

So really you're looking at 100.2, 84.9, 78.1, 86.5

Three good, not great, numbers largely buoyed by that 100.2 in his first year. Since then he's regressed to to an average right around a QB rating of 83. With the 100.2 you're looking at an 87.4 average. Ryan's average over his first five years that you posted is 90.4

To Vick's credit, that's around 10 points better than his average prior to prison.

But  I don't think it's wrong to suggest that prior to prison Vick was a pretty pedestrian thrower of the football. He had a POWERFUL arm, but his accuracy and decision making weren't very good.

Post prison, Vick had an MVP caliber season and than has settled into being a pretty average to above average passer of the football. This is a credit to him beginning to actually try and do the time in the film room to improve.

Those 2 out calls after the runs, you'd think we were running out of time, wanting to be near the sideline. Sure maybe we are over thinking those last few plays, but the way Cousins was playing overall, and a lack of pressure from the pass rush, I think we had time to throw the ball more than a yard or 2 downfield. DBs are going to be all over 1 yard routes when they needed to prevent 10 yards for a FG. No Carlos Cushions for us.

And yeah on the most critical play of the game, that 4th down throw, consider not using an option route since it opens the door for communication issues.

It's not just Cousins learning, Gruden is his players as well.

It's a good question, and KDawg might be better able to answer it, but my understanding is that the route is determined at the snap based on the positioning of the defense.  And both QB and WR have to read the defense the same way for them to work, otherwise they don't, and it looks UGLY.

I think that may have been like the route earlier where Garcon caught that pass on the sideline for 30+ yards except this time the safety was playing closer to the sideline and Garcon hitched as if he was going outside then went inside and maybe Cousins didnt see the same thing. Cousins threw it right were it would've been Garcon fighting the safety for the ball if he'd kept going straight so it was obviously the wrong thing to do by Cousins.

No matter what QB you prefer, you have to admit RG3 is a really tough spot now.

Let's say KC continues to play well. I'm not talking lights out like the Philly game, but well enough that going back to RG3 is far from a no-brainer.

But in the end, Gruden does choose to go back to him.

RG3 will once again be rusty and once again be a work in progress. The expectations will be unrealistic and the pressure on him to perform at a level higher than Kirk will be enormous.

I think the best scenario for everyone is for Kirk to play well enough to ensure that Griffin isn't rushed back.

That way Griffin has time to work closely with the Jay and Sean and get comfortable with the playbook for a couple/few weeks.

Then IF Cousins struggles then Griffin will be ready and comfortable to take the reigns in the last 1/4 of the season.

I'm not even thinking about RG3 adaptability to Gruden's offense in the near future, i'm really focusing on his durability issues. Are we going to pay a QB 100million dollars that starts 11-12 games a year? Also, we won't have a Kirk Cousins backup ever again. A Cade Mcnown will be a standard for NFL backups.

If the skins decide to go with RGIII in the future, I think they need to spend another ~3rd rounder on a backup QB next year.  I realize that is a tough pill to swallow because of our other needs, but I just think we need to try to keep another young, developing guy waiting in the wings as a hedge against another injury.

I don't know what the right answer is, but if we stick with RGIII, our backup QB becomes a more important role than if KC is QB.

I think the best scenario for everyone is for Kirk to play well enough to ensure that Griffin isn't rushed back.

That way Griffin has time to work closely with the Jay and Sean and get comfortable with the playbook for a couple/few weeks.

Then IF Cousins struggles then Griffin will be ready and comfortable to take the reigns in the last 1/4 of the season.

I would be all on board with this.  The team could be setting itself up for another possible Cousins trade next year.  If he keeps flashing, but the team sticks with Griffin, I don't think you keep Cousins for next year.  I'm basing this on the fact that the team will have already picked up the 5th yr on RGIII's contract, ensuring that Cousins won't resign.  At that point, it's not worth one year of Cousins as a backup if we can turn that into a high draft pick.  Assuming that it played out that way, I think you re-invest a "higher" (~3rd) draftpick in another traditional pocket passing QB.

The second and third down passes were conservative, high-percentage " outs.  I would have called a slant over the middle and if that were not open ... a check-down to Helu.

But what the heck ... if KC doesn't throw for 427 yds. and 3 tds earlier ... we are not having this conversation.

True...ES would be having a conversation about how Cousins sucked. But luckily, we're just having a conversation about how Cousins' choked lol.

If the skins decide to go with RGIII in the future, I think they need to spend another ~3rd rounder on a backup QB next year.  I realize that is a tough pill to swallow because of our other needs, but I just think we need to try to keep another young, developing guy waiting in the wings as a hedge against another injury.

I don't know what the right answer is, but if we stick with RGIII, our backup QB becomes a more important role than if KC is QB.

Asssuming we can keep McCoy, he's a sufficient backup. He's got quite a bit of starting QB experience, and it's on terrible teams no-less, so he should be used to getting knocked around.

Cousins Named FedEx Air Player Of The Week

The National Football League on Thursday announced Redskins quarterback Kirk Cousinsicon-article-link.gif has been named FedEx Air Player of the Week.

Cousins turned in a career performance Sunday against the Philadelphia Eagles, completing 30-of-48 passes for 427 yards, three touchdowns and a 103.4 quarterback rating.

Click for rest : http://www.redskins.com/news-and-events/article-1/Cousins-Named-FedEx-Air-Player-Of-The-Week/c5b26881-cf44-4389-a5fd-490f6e17dc28

Cousins Named FedEx Air Player Of The Week

The National Football League on Thursday announced Redskins quarterback Kirk Cousinsicon-article-link.gif has been named FedEx Air Player of the Week.

Cousins turned in a career performance Sunday against the Philadelphia Eagles, completing 30-of-48 passes for 427 yards, three touchdowns and a 103.4 quarterback rating.

Click for rest : http://www.redskins.com/news-and-events/article-1/Cousins-Named-FedEx-Air-Player-Of-The-Week/c5b26881-cf44-4389-a5fd-490f6e17dc28

Doesn't matter.  He didn't come in and win in the 4th quarter like Joe Montana in just his fifth start so he's garbage and he'll never be a big late game QB, ever. 

Doesn't matter. He didn't come in and win in the 4th quarter like Joe Montana in just his fifth start so he's garbage and he'll never be a big late game QB, ever.

I don't even understand why they are giving him the start tonight.

Better option would be having Roberts run the wildcat all night.

Al least that would get the "run the ball" group the 75 carries a game they want...

Let's see we got one q.b that gets injured all the time then another that played well last few weeks then looks like a deer on head light tonight and leaves you wondering if he can ever turn the corner. .I would say it sucks to be a redskins fan like normal. .other than Gibson 2 and 99 season what the hell have we had to pull for ..except misery..just freaking blows!!!

Archived