Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Thoughts on Cousins and the next few weeks

But I think the organization is going to take a slightly longer termed view of this.  If they believe that:

1. Griffin can stay healthy, and his injuries are just freak accidents

2. He can develop as a pure passer like Cousins has

3. He's got all of his explosiveness and speed back

I personally love the position the 'Skins are in with their QBs.  Best position they've been in in 40 years.

This. A thousand times this.

If you told me every game plan was going to be similar to the Houston game or even the Eagles game, with a traditional drop back passing attack aimed at short passes with some attempts to go over the top sprinkled in, then I think a really reasonable case will be able to be made by the time Griffin's back or by next season that you go with Cousins instead.

If you told me the game plan is going to look closer to what it looked like it was in Jacksonville, routinely mixing in Griffin's running ability in designed runs aimed at giving him protected options to use his mobility, then I'm going to be hard pressed to not go with him.

With the caveat being that it would only apply if I feel he can stay healthy and develop, and he's I believe he has his speed back.

Why?

Cousins is the more polished traditional drop back passer right now now. And while I think Griffin can improve in that, so can Cousins. If I desperately want a traditional drop back QB, and only that, then the gamble that Griffin will develop into one as good as what Cousins can develop into in a similar amount of time is a gamble without a ton of upside. Could Griffin develop into what Cousins is? Absolutely! He could also completely fail at it. In the meantime, Cousins is already there.

On the flip side, if you believe he's healthy and will be healthy, and you're looking for an innovative new age offense that utilizes Griffin's mobile skills then the gamble of going with him has much more upside. While Griffin can potential develop into a pocket passer, Cousins is unlikely to "develop" into 4.4 speed and exceptional arm strength.

What this tells me is that I'm excited about our future, because the coaches have to very good options. One is a more traditional and established type of offense with a guy who looks like he will AT LEAST be a quality stater in that type of system. The other is a more innovative new age of offense with a guy who looks like he will have the POTENTIAL to be elite in that type of system.

That's an exceptional place to be in for a franchise. It's a bad place to be in for a fanbase, because the fan base can never be happy with having more than one good thing...but for the franchise its great.

It all comes down to how they internally evaluate Griffin in terms of his health and what Gruden and the front office want to do offensively moving forward.

If you told me every game plan was going to be similar to the Houston game or even the Eagles game, with a traditional drop back passing attack aimed at short passes with some attempts to go over the top sprinkled in, then I think a really reasonable case will be able to be made by the time Griffin's back or by next season that you go with Cousins instead.

If you told me the game plan is going to look closer to what it looked like it was in Jacksonville, routinely mixing in Griffin's running ability in designed runs aimed at giving him protected options to use his mobility, then I'm going to be hard pressed to not go with him.

With the caveat being that it would only apply if I feel he can stay healthy and develop, and he's I believe he has his speed back.

Why?

Cousins is the more polished traditional drop back passer right now now. And while I think Griffin can improve in that, so can Cousins. If I desperately want a traditional drop back QB, and only that, then the gamble that Griffin will develop into one as good as what Cousins can develop into in a similar amount of time is a gamble without a ton of upside. Could Griffin develop into what Cousins is? Absolutely! He could also completely fail at it. In the meantime, Cousins is already there.

On the flip side, if you believe he's healthy and will be healthy, and you're looking for an innovative new age offense that utilizes Griffin's mobile skills then the gamble of going with him has much more upside. While Griffin can potential develop into a pocket passer, Cousins is unlikely to "develop" into 4.4 speed and exceptional arm strength.

What this tells me is that I'm excited about our future, because the coaches have to very good options. One is a more traditional and established type of offense with a guy who looks like he will AT LEAST be a quality stater in that type of system. The other is a more innovative new age of offense with a guy who looks like he will have the POTENTIAL to be elite in that type of system.

That's an exceptional place to be in for a franchise. It's a bad place to be in for a fanbase, because the fan base can never be happy with having more than one good thing...but for the franchise its great.

It all comes down to how they internally evaluate Griffin in terms of his health and what Gruden and the front office want to do offensively moving forward.

Makes sense, only issue I have is RGIII doesn't want to run the Read Option.  I would agree though, if you want to run an offense designed around the Read Option, then you go with RGIII...without question. 

Either way, the front office has a tough decision to make!

rankly I don't know what a "freak" injury is unless it happened when someone is doing absolutely nothing

I think when people are saying "freak" injury the question is basically whether or not they think the injury is one that the person simply has a propensity for, or if it's simply a situational type thing.

I can think of it in terms of growing up wrestling in middle and high school. There was a guy I knew that basically was a shoe in to damage his collar bone some time during the year. It was a long time ago, but I want to say I recall him injuring it 3 or 4 times over the 6 years I knew he wrestled.

Hamstring issues are one of those ones people don't really see often as a "freak" injury if a WR or someone continually seems to have them year in, year out.

The other way one may talk about "freak" injuries is when it's coming about from a situation that isn't normal or wouldn't normally cause an injury. Take recently Stephen Tulloch blowing his ACL out while celebrating a tackle. That's not the type of situation you expect someone to be injured in.

The issue is whether or not you consider "freak" injuries to mean that it's unlikely to happen again because it's unlikely an injury should've happened...or if you think a "freak" injury is an indication that the person is PRONE to injury and thats why they got injured in that "freak" situation. There's two different lines of thought as it relates to that and I can kind of see both.

For QBs, you're usually epxecting injuries from being smashed in the pocket or taking a big hit outside of the pocket. For example Griffin's concussion in the Atlanta game.

You don't normally expect a dislocated ankle from a bootleg, or having a D-Lineman smash into your leg 20 yards down field. Those are unusual situations for injuries...but whether that suggests he's injury prone or suggests they were freak instances that don't point to a larger propensity for injury depends on the persons judge of the situation.

Makes sense, only issue I have is RGIII doesn't want to run the Read Option.  I would agree though, if you want to run an offense designed around the Read Option, then you go with RGIII...without question. 

Either way, the front office has a tough decision to make!

I've heard that a lot, and at times I wonder how much that's true and how much that's driven by outside talking heads. IF it is true then ultimately Robert Griffin may be the architect of his own exodus from DC. We'll have to see.

Some people flat out believe that only a traditional drop back game is the only way to win in this league. I don't believe that. I think the principles behind read option are sound. Defenses have caught up so you won't be running off 15+ yard chunks play after play after play, they've not caught up in the same sense as the "wild cat" where it's just not useful. And that's because you can't really "catch up" to that degree becuase the foundational theory behind the read option is sound. It forces the defense to account for everyone on the field, which creates potential one on one situations or hesitation where before it may not have.

That's why I do feel there is a decision to be made here. For those who just think the read option and mobile style modern offenses are not winnable or sustainable, then the question does become easier.

Some people flat out believe that only a traditional drop back game is the only way to win in this league. I don't believe that. I think the principles behind read option are sound. Defenses have caught up so you won't be running off 15+ yard chunks play after play after play, they've not caught up in the same sense as the "wild cat" where it's just not useful. And that's because you can't really "catch up" to that degree becuase the foundational theory behind the read option is sound. It forces the defense to account for everyone on the field, which creates potential one on one situations or hesitation where before it may not have.

You could look at Seattle, I think RW plays great in that system.  The only difference I see is you have to respect RW ability to read the entire field and even when running, is always looking to throw the ball.  Sometimes, it seems when RGIII is outside of the pocket, he is not looking at throwing the ball.  I could be wrong, but that is what I see.

I think that's a really good point.  I'm going to make a few assumptions:

1. Last year, the game plans that we saw, at least early, were because Griffin COULD NOT do the things that he could in 2012.  They tried to have him stand back there and sling it like Montanta, and that just wasn't going to work, because he's nowhere near good enough at that to be Montana.  Yet. 

2. The Houston game plan was evaluated, crapped on, and thrown away forever after they saw the results.  I think they thought they could be more effective in the pass game, both protection and actual QB play, than they were.  It was also Gruden's first game with Griffin, and his first as a HC.  

3. The Jax game is more of what you were going to get from here on out.  Force the defense to respect the QB run, which makes them change defensively, and then start slinging it around.  It's why they brought him here in the first place.  I don't think he has to run 10 times a game, but a couple, good, successful runs early will change the whole mentality of the defense.  

As I said, if you can combine the quick decisions that Cousins can make with the fear that Griffin can put into a defense with his legs, you've got an extremely unique weapon.  Honestly, that's what they're trying to do in Seattle. And Wilson is really good at it.  He runs JUST ENOUGH to make sure the defense knows it's an option, and that makes everything else easier for him. 

that's a good question ... 6 seasons plus 1.1 games ... NCAA and NFL = 3 major injuries each one season-ending magnitute (2012 knee injury would have killed an entire season if it was earlier in the season ... instead it kinda killed 2013 but that's clearly a contentious debate)

frankly I don't know what a "freak" injury is unless it happened when someone is doing absolutely nothing ... to me they all qualify as serious injuries and they are all football related (all happened while playing football) ... each one of these is a football injury.  Odds aren't that good ... 1 season out of 2 he gets a season ending caliber injury

*I get it that he may come back and play ... I don't beleive that he will be >80% though if he does and I consider that an injury that should end the season if you have a decent replacement available.

I think they are all serious. The question is, are the sorta wacky, one in a million types, or not.  The Ngata hit was sortof freaky.  Big DT wacking on the side of the knee while he's sliding down.  The injury in the Seattle game was more of a re-injury.  The ankle was just odd.  

But you're exactly right.  I have NO IDEA what the team thinks of these injuries. 

Steve Young also played back up role to Joe Montana, Joe "Frickin" Montana Man!: :)  That was a bonus and aided in his transition as well.  Unfortunately, RGIII doesn't have that in DC

Joe famously didn't particularly care for Steve, and vice versa.  There was no mentoring going on.  That said, he did get a front row seat for a QB master class for a few years.  

Voice of Reason killing it on the last page. (slow clap)

Thank you, thank you very much. :)

Voice of Reason, do you have to work hard to be the voice of reason? Great post. And the answer would of course be Griffin, assuming by healthy you mean "2012 healthy". If you mean the version where the Eagles just have to sit back and force him to throw then I would want Cousins. But that is the essence of the last 48 pages, isn't it?!

Yeah, when I say healthy, I mean 2012 healthy.  I also mean that he's able and willing to run the ball.

I actually think that he doesn't want to run the ball, or run the read option.  And has to be convinced that it's a good idea.  I think he's able to be convinced now.  

Joe famously didn't particularly care for Steve, and vice versa.  There was no mentoring going on.  That said, he did get a front row seat for a QB master class for a few years.  

Well, what about Brett Favre and Aaron Rogers?  Oh wait, Brett didn't particularly like AR either:)

This thread is full of emotion. I just want the see the look of the fans faces if we were to actually trade RGIII. "breaking news RGIII has been traded to such and such" . LOL Can you imagine how foolish we will be. We will be the laughing stock of the NFL once again. You think those other fans actually are telling you RGIII is a Bum and Kirk is better because they like to see the Skins doing well lol. Oh wait...Let me guess you really think other team fans want to see our team with the best QB on the field? lol The day if it were to ever happend we trade RGIII watch how quickly the tide will turn. Other teams fans will say things like " How do you let a beast like RGIII go" "Redskins mess up everybody career, RGIII was sorry with y'all then he got traded now he's a beast again" lol We fall for the same crap every year smh 

And you know this by watching one game? A game that we lost in fact.                

*Shrugs shoulders*

Yes. No one can refute that.

You could look at Seattle, I think RW plays great in that system.  The only difference I see is you have to respect RW ability to read the entire field and even when running, is always looking to throw the ball.  Sometimes, it seems when RGIII is outside of the pocket, he is not looking at throwing the ball.  I could be wrong, but that is what I see.

That is what I noticed recently but in 2012 he did keep his eyes down field. I remember vividly the analysts praising him for that.

I guess I can ask you this, where you willing to give RG3 a pass in 2013? This team was much worse on offense, defense and special teams. Yet, some where still calling for RG3 head regardless.

Now as far as your question goes, I thought Kirk played beautifully until it counted most. Blunders back at the beginning of the game doesn't matter when you have an opportunity to close the deal. Would you sit Cousins if we had 6 more games like that with great stats and he has a chance to win and don't get it done?

But yes I would sit him in that position he was in Sunday if he keeps losing. You have to give me more  to unseat the guy that I've hedged my franchise on and gave up so much to get. Having great stats won't do it. I know he (RG3) can do that. But I also know he can be a game changer.

So Capt. Kirk has to win. Moral victories are for losers.

I agree with that. If it becomes routine that Kirk plays well first half and falls off second half and we are losing then definitely put RGIII back in when he's ready.

I agree with that. If it becomes routine that Kirk plays well first half and falls off second half and we are losing then definitely put RGIII back in when he's ready.

Cousins plays first half when he's hot then RG3 takes the 2nd half when his fresh legs will kill defenses :D

You could even have Redd and Morris rotate the game halves as well.

Jon Gruden would love it, not so sure about Jay though lol.

I disagree with your "only difference".  I feel the only difference is that Robert has been hurt and RW hasn't.   If Robert had no injuries, we probably win at least 1 playoff game his rookie year.  Last year, the defense and special teams were so bad, that we likely still don't make the playoffs.  This year, we would be 2-1 at best.  With zero injuries, Robert > RW.  In real life, so far, RW > Robert.

Yes. No one can refute that.

That is what I noticed recently but in 2012 he did keep his eyes down field. I remember vividly the analysts praising him for that.

I said this in another post, and I don't know if this could be true for a QB, but maybe Kirk is worse in the 2nd half because of conditioning.  He isn't used to playing full games.  Does he get winded, stop thinking as clearly, does his arm get tired?  If yes, maybe that will disappear after 2 or so more games.

It wasn't really a 2nd half disappearing act. One drive in the 3rd Cousins hits Garcon for a 1st but Kerry Williams is draped on his back, obviously 10x more Pass Interference than what was called on Robinson or Breeland but of course no call which lost us 1 drive. Then the refs let Cox get away with sacking Cousins 3 seconds after the whistle blew which cost us first and goal at the 4 and instead we miss a FG. Besides that Cousins had 2 TD drives including the bomb to Jackson in the 2nd half.

That last drive though, yeah Cousins really blew it on that 4th down play to Garcon and should've known to go inside where Garcon was headed based on the coverage. That INT looked like Paul didn't do what he should've though. If Paul goes away from the safety there thats likely a catch or PI on the safety which of course wouldn't have been called.

I've watched the game a couple times now. I really don't think our defense played bad either. The Eagles were bailed out by the refs on so many 3rd downs on very BS or questionable at best calls that we never get that it's hard to say Haslett called a bad game and thats without even mentioning the dozen times Hatcher, Kerrigan, Orakpo were literally mugged, tackled, or layed on by their OL.

A few thoughts on our QB controversy:

1. I don't think the cost of each player should be a factor any longer. We spent 3 firsts, 1 second, and 1 fourth for 2 quarterbacks who are both now third-year players. What we should care about is how they play.

2. My football knowledge consists of playing for 2 years in high school half my life ago and watching it passionately for 30 years. I don't grade film, look at the all-22, or anything like that. So, I wouldn't call myself uneducated but I'm no expert. Having said all of that, we need to keep the guy who grades out the highest at the culmination of their time here.

3. To my previously mentioned untrained eye, Cousins looks more effective when he's playing. He looks more in rhythm, more decisive, and more comfortable. If he sustains this play for the next several games, I don't see how you make a switch back to Griffin.

4. The other factor is this whole concept of their individual ceilings. I assume someone on the staff has graded that but I would want to factor in an additional consideration: durability. Right now, given Griffin's history of injuries, his ceiling would need to be significantly higher than Cousins' to jettison Kirk from the roster and roll the dice on Robert.

So, as of this moment, I'm leaning toward Cousins being the answer because I just trust my eyes right now. That could certainly change if he cannot sustain this level of play and his TD/INT ratio flattens back out to 1:1. The other reason is that this supposed x-factor that Griffin brings seems to have disappeared. If he's not going to rack up yards and convert some third downs with his legs, where is he demonstrably better than Cousins? He doesn't move naturally in the pocket, so he's really only dangerous with his legs when he's running north-south.

Sorry for the length of the post...I just still believe that the answer will be evident by the time this season ends (one way or the other).

TD, great post.

I think the question is really about Griffin. If he's healthy, willing and able, he gives you a dimension cousins can't. So if you get into a late game situation where you need 40 yards and a score to win/tie, he forces the defense to play differently.

IF he's right. If he's not right, then s bets are off.

That's why I think the skins WANT Griffin to be that guy, and they are willing to give him time to develop other parts of his game. Because if you had a QB that was confident and quick reading defenses and throwing the ball, like cousins is doing, combined with somebody who can hurt you with heir feet, you get a real unique weapon.

That said, if cousins is playing lights out and the team is winning, you can't bench him. But under almost any other scenario, Griffin is probably going to get every chance to develop.

TD, great post.

I think the question is really about Griffin. If he's healthy, willing and able, he gives you a dimension cousins can't. So if you get into a late game situation where you need 40 yards and a score to win/tie, he forces the defense to play differently.

IF he's right. If he's not right, then s bets are off.

That's why I think the skins WANT Griffin to be that guy, and they are willing to give him time to develop other parts of his game. Because if you had a QB that was confident and quick reading defenses and throwing the ball, like cousins is doing, combined with somebody who can hurt you with heir feet, you get a real unique weapon.

That said, if cousins is playing lights out and the team is winning, you can't bench him. But under almost any other scenario, Griffin is probably going to get every chance to develop.

We're still talking about Griffin in this thread, huh? Lol, at least it's respectable now, though. :)

I can totally agree with this, however, I don't think it's just a matter of health for Griffin. A bunch of us were seeing this for some time now and that is that Griffin is NOT elusive. He's not making guys miss, period. In 2012, his first step burst was so explosive that's how he made guys miss, not necessarily cutting or juking defenders (though he had a couple really nice moves like against the Rams in the red zone where he split the defenders or the 4th down against the Giants).

Coming into this year, I wanted so desperately to see him stop on a dime or juke somebody or just simply make a nice cut... but I don't think I've seen it since his knee injury and it's not like he did it much anyway before that. The two RO runs against the Jags were nice to see, but he basically had a straight path and used his excellent straight line speed. I still wasn't seeing the elusiveness I feel he needs to truly thrive.  

I was jumping through the roof when he made that pass to DJax against the Jags because I thought he pretty much made a nice elusive football move and stopped hard to make the pass... but then I saw the replay and how out of control he was and of course he hurt himself doing it. 

I don't know what it is, if it's mental or what... but he doesn't have his legs under him when he does run or scramble and it looks like a train wreck is about to happen every time. What I'm worried about now is that, if it was just mental, now it's going to be worse because he messed up his ankle trying to make something happen with his legs.

At this point, will he ever be able to make those elusive football moves (hard cuts, stopping on a dime, juking, etc...) with what's happened to his legs so far? It's hard to see that happening.

If he can, I'm with you. The guy has the potential to be the best ever and we should try as hard as we can to help him realize that. I just have a tough time thinking he can return to a 2012 level, let alone actually improve upon that aspect of his game. It's really sad because I believe he gave up his body for us on that run in 2012 and it's hard to accept that it may have been everything he had. The good news is we have time to see if he can fix this.    

Now, the other side of it is that he does have quite the impressive arm and is an accurate passer. Those things alone can be the reason for why we don't move on from him. But if Kirk keeps playing like he is then it doesn't matter. Arm strength and accuracy take a backseat to timing/feel for the pocket and quick decisions when it comes to QB play in the NFL, period. 

Two of his serious injuries have come with him running hard to the right trying to throw back to the left.   Seattle in the playoffs.   And against the Jags.  Very similar plays.  It's as if he is so athletic he blows out his knees and ankle.   

I don't care what you say, after injuries it's never as good as God made it. 

Let me see would I rather have a QB like Cousins to be the full time starter b/c he looks more in rhythm, more decisive, and more comfortable in the pocket.He also has woke this offense up from the dead when it wasn't moving the ball at all,moving the chains and scoring TD's.

Or would I rather go with a QB in RG3 that can not run this offense to make it successful. He holds on the ball way to long,he panics when a defender comes torwards him,he doesn't step up in the pocket when he throws,He runs out of the pocket straight into a DLmen's arms for lost yardage.He looks completly lost out there and to tell the truth he isn't RG3 anymore and never will be.He will never be the same and he will never be healthy again which sucks for him b/c he was very talented.

The writing is on the wall and its just a matter of time that this becomes Cousins team.I am so confident in this that I don't even thing Cousins has to play the best ball he ever played.If he only plays average from here on out he still will be the full time starter.He runs this offense a hundred  times better guys and everybody see's it.

I guess I can ask you this, where you willing to give RG3 a pass in 2013? This team was much worse on offense, defense and special teams. Yet, some where still calling for RG3 head regardless.

Funny how quick we contradict ourselves isn't it .  Hell, RGIII didn't even get a pass for the Texans game lol..  Skins fans ain't loyal (Chris Brown Vocal)

You know what would be the perfect thing for RGIII....KC is the remaining starter while RGIII is sitting on the bench. Then Kirk gets hurt during a home game and has to come out ( not season ending just done for the game injury) When RGIII enters into that game the fans are going to go ape ****! It will give RGIII back his Superman Powers, He will relive 2012 again. Skins fans love cheering and rooting for the guy coming off the bench for some strange reason and if it just so happens to be Griffin watch how the cheers will pour down. He will come out on fire and the Kirk issue will be put to rest. All of these beloved KC cheerleaders will be no longer.  The RGIII bandwagon will be back on tracks. Meanwhile Kirk all I can say is "Skins fans aint Loyal". They will hate on you (KC) and love RGIII...well until we go on our first losing streak and then your turn will come again Kirky lol

Now I agree with some of what you're saying here TheGreek. If we are 5-4 I think Kirk should remain the starter. I think if Kirk can perform well on the road like he did in Philly, then 5-4 is VERY possible. If he can't, then 4-5 or 3-6 is possible. So I am rooting for Kirk regardless whether I think RG3 is better or not. I want to win.

One of two things will happen with RG3 though. 1) He's greatly humbled now and WILL have to fight like heck to get his starting job back and will take care of himself much better now. Or 2) The pressures of being a QB in the NFL is too great and will make him fold like a cheap tent and fade away.

But saying RG3 2013 was horrible is simply not true.  He WAS horrible at times though. But NOT the WHOLE season. However, defense and special teams where HORRIBLE the WHOLE season.

I can honestly say I believe that RG3 would've passed for over 4,000 yds in 2013 had he kept playing. And he still had more TD's than INT's with basically no team.

Now that Cousins move by Shannahan was all about Shannahan. And it backfired. So is it safe to say that Cousins need a dominate team in all fazes to be successful? I don't know.....But 1 or 2 games is not enough know what he is.

I just know Seattle shut Aaron Rodgers, Peyton Manning and Tom Brady down for the most part. And RG3 looked pretty good against them in the playoffs before he was hurt again.

I think the issue with Robert a lot last year was that he was leaving plays on the field by literally not seeing open receivers.  I.e. the eagles away game and in Denver.  It was becoming more evident in film study.   When Pierre say's "When you can't pass, you just can't pass."     This coming from a receiver that played with manning.  The truth of the matter, Griff is a work in progress.   He flashes, but he's not at Kirks level when it comes to running the offense.  Not yet.  

Also Robert has like 21 games of experience on Kirk.  So it's really not a totally fair comparison until Kirk gets like 20 plus more games to really see who is more ahead as an NFL quarterback.   That seems to always be missed.  It's not apples to apples. 

Right now Robert is a talented kid trying to become an NFL quarterback.   Kirk is a less physically talented quarterback, but already plays like a potential elite NFL quarterback in only five friggen games!  The operative word is potential.  You can see Kirk has the uncoachable intangibles needed to play quarterback at an elite level in this league. He is perfectly suited for the west coast offense.   Bill Walsh would love him.   Not to mention, the Grudens come from that tree.  

Yes Roberts has more upside.  But how many players drafted high ever reach their upside.  The grave yard for those that didn't make it is much bigger than those who have succeeded.  It's too bad for Robert.  He soooooo needed this time.   It's sad really. 

I'm thinkin the more Kirk plays the better he is going to become in this offense.  His baptism of fire will be Seattle and AZ.  He get thru those games okay, the sky is the limit with this team offensively.  I predict the offense will be much better the second half of the year, and it's decent now.  Barring injury of course. 

In fairness to Griff, I think he could still make this offense literally un-guardable with more playing time.   But, he still needs the read option to be most effective.  Ultimately, that's a liability.  

Just my opinions... 

Better athlete = RG3

Better arm = RG3

Command of offense = Cousins

Confidence = Cousins

Higher ceiling = RG3

Lower floor = RG3

Greater injury risk = RG3

Love having these two QBs. Both are good players and can play in this league. I think Cousins is in the best situation possible. Ton of offensive talent. System to get the ball out of his hands into into their hands. Gruden is good with QBs. I believe it would take RG3 maybe half a season to get to where Cousins is now with the offense. Conversely it would take a robotic implant for Cousins to match RG3's arm/leg talent. 

I think, unfortunately, the decision to go back to RG3 will be easier than we anticipate. We have a tough schedule and as teams gameplan for our offense and Cousins I think our effectiveness will decrease as an offense. I hope I'm wrong there. 

Either way, no point in making a decision right now. Too many unknowns and even if we made a decision now it's likely to change by the time RG3 could come back. Right now I'm enjoying Cousins playing and seeing what the offense is capable of. I think RG3 is going to learn a lot from watching Cousins trust the line and make quick decisions. 

Archived