Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Thoughts on Cousins and the next few weeks

That is what we started to see in the 2nd half of the Eagles game.  It's what a number of posters were pointing out as a major difference between the Cousins and RGIII toolset, yet at least a handful of other posters laughed at our posts.  I hate to say "I told you so", but "I told you so".

I'm all out of likes for the day .. but you and others were spot on. 

I don't know why I ever get my hopes up for prime time games. They always disappoint. As for Cousins, well he clearly showed he isn't comfortable with a little bit of pressure. We need to start Colt McCoy for the rest of the year and then let Cousins come in halfway through the 1st quarter. He seems to play better that way.

Just quoting Joe Gibbs, I have no clue who you are so i'll trust him instead.

Silly rabbit We have two good Qb's on our squad. We don't have a O line sir. The Media just brained washed you fans to believe it was all Griffin lol. Skins fan fall for the unsung back up once again smh 

The 2012 Outback Bowl between Michigan State and Georgia is really the definitive game, for me, when scouting Kirk Cousins at the collegiate level. 

I have a more in-depth post to make about that game, but for those of you who remember that game, it has been a microcosm of Cuz's career at the professional level. 

Here's the game

When you watch that game, you see the (presumably) mastery of simple short routes and some moments of seemingly great accuracy, but then you also see the limitations and the untimely turnovers. 

I mean, one drive he marches the team down the field, meticulously completing passes, ties the game late in the 4th, then all of a sudden, throws the ball right at a defender for an INT.

Scroll to the 2:43:09 mark of the video, a decisive Cuz INT to our very own Bacarri Rambo. Haha. 

That is what we started to see in the 2nd half of the Eagles game.  It's what a number of posters were pointing out as a major difference between the Cousins and RGIII toolset, yet at least a handful of other posters laughed at our posts.  I hate to say "I told you so", but "I told you so".

Since halftime in Philly, Kirk Cousins is 30-56, 54 %, 459 yards, 2 TD, 5 INT, + a Lost fumble. #Redskins

Cousins isn't an elite talent. At his best he's pretty good, but needs players around him. Basically, he's Eli Manning/Joe Flacco. At his worst he gets reckless with the ball and tries to do too much, akin to Rex Grossman.

Tonight he was at his worst. That's the problem with a QB like Cousins. He'll have games where he wows you but he'll also have absolutely awful games as well.

Just seems like he gets rattled. One thing I will say about RG3 is even when he's not playing well, I don't think the moment is ever too big for him. He is also much better in crunch time.

Both QBs have upside, but also have significant flaws. At this point our best course of action would be to just commit to RG3 and hope he can figure out the pocket passing thing while also staying healthy, because his upside is just so much better it isn't really even close.

Can't believe the quarterback debate even matters at this point.

Offensive line is atrocious at right tackle, and now Williams is hurt.  Tough ass mofo played through a deep thigh bruise in 2012, and those hurt like hell.  I've never seen him in pain even when injured, and he's hurt.

Hall being out hurts WAY more than a lot of you thought.

Our defensive line is held together by duct tape.  Not all of the duct tape, though, because that's what's holding together a few guys' hamstrings at this point.

We have no secondary ready to start (I do believe in Amerson and Breeland, but not yet ready for prime time).

Orakpo, god damn I was wrong about him.  Absolute waste of a roster spot and $13 million.

Our special teams aren't even worth mentioning, so that's all that I'll say.

Literally the only positives that I can get out of this is that Roberts, Garcon, Morris, and Kerrigan bust their asses and actually care.  And Way can punt. That's it.

It's a shame that half this fan base gave up on Robert too soon, now that the guy they wanted to be a franchise QB so bad has shown himself against a good defense, that half of the fanbase is washing their hands of both QB's instead of re-investing the time back into the guy who coaches felt was the better of the two.

I thought it wasn't about Robert vs. Cousins......but that was only until Cousins sucked, now it's like everyone refuses to admit they spoke way too soon and bailed way too soon.

Archived