Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Sean Taylor A Football Life Air Date 26 September

Hail Em Up

Aside from the loss of his life, there's another angle. The way he played the game (in his first two years) has been completely legislated out of the game. The hit he put on Willie Parker in the flats, him being in the right place at the right time to dislodge passes, or obliterate receivers...we'll probably never see that again.

I hated that Gregg Williams put him 25 yards off the ball in 2007. He was so talented he thrived anyways. He was so good, you wanted him to be there on crossing routes, and to come up and hit RBs. Even though 2006 was our worst year team wise while he was here, watching him be everywhere, all over the field was truly amazing.

That's the thing though, he still was in on almost every play and was having a career year at free safety. One can only wonder what could have been had he finished his career there at free safety. No part of the field was safe.

And what's really sad is it seems we are cursed at the safety position. It's been years now, and nobody has been able to come in whether free agent or draft pick and play that position. It makes you appreciate the talent he was, because nobody else that comes here can do it

No one will ever play at that level again other than the rare once in a decade talent and they might be playing a different position. That was a great program and I love the NFL football life's.... However at the end I just felt empty. What a completely tragic, pointless, stupid loss of a good life. I'm glad he got to turn the corner and find peace in his life before it was cut short.

God, that was hard to watch :(...

Great, great video. Extremely well done...but man, the rawness of emotions conveyed by his friends and loved ones was just devastating.

That shows you the caliber of the man he was. 

I was excited to see it. I always bring up ST and I wanted my girl to see what I was talking about... she likes the series... She wanted to watch it last night and I just couldn't.

That was great. Almost forgot how awesome he was. Clark and ST were developing into a huge force. Bad timing after the TNF embarrassment, though... Made it all seem worse.

I imagine he would still be playing safety for the skins if he would've just stayed in Va that night. Damn.

BTW that is an awesome Skins room!! I'm gonna have something like that one day...

The Sean Taylor Thread

Perhaps the only topic on this site where all fans are in agreement. 

agreed... that says a lot too

some amazing stories in here - both watching him and meeting him. thought id share one...

I think ive posted this before in one of his birthday threads a few years ago but it just kind of shares the same sentiments that others have expressed. It's that football, or watching the Redskins specifically, just isnt as fun anymore. It's missing something. This is the truest for my brother. Sean was my brothers favorite football player. He would get so hype for games and go nuts when Sean lit someone up. He was his role-model and he so much stuffed signed by him (signed #21 jersey, signed #36 jersey, and two separate signed sheets of paper). My brother and i used to watch games every Sunday and be so excited for the defense to take the field. Because we knew special things were coming.

Sean died on my brother's birthday. My brother was turning 21. Now at 27, my brother doesnt love football like he used to. He doesnt love the Skins like he used to. He's expressed how it's just not the same and he doesnt find joy in it anymore after Sean passed. And honestly, ive seen a change in him. He's a little harder, little more emotionless. I know a lot of people say "get over it, you didnt know him" or "grown ups (men) shouldnt feel that way about another grown up (man)", etc. But when you're young (or even older) and someone brings you so much joy, takes you away from all the drama and bull**** of life, has you looking forward to 4 hours once a week to have fun, and they're taken away so violently, so young? It affects you. At least for him it did.

A lot of different factors make it hurt. He was a father, a family man. So young. A beast on the field. Getting his life together. I'll always remember him and he'll always be my favorite Skin and I cherish and appreciate guys like Moss, Portis, Clark, Antrelle Rolle (weares 36 for Sean) who keep his spirit alive and play for him every Sunday.

I missed it Friday but im watching it at 8pm. I feel my eyes stinging as i type this so i know i have no match when it's on. Look forward to seeing his beautiful daughter and how much she's grown. 

Also, i have a bunch of pictures of Sean from training camp during his playing years. I'll see if i can upload them and post them.

The only thing I'd caution here is the tone I see some taking about turning the emotions surrounding ST into some sort of indictment of the current team.

ST played three full seasons in Washington and in two of them we lost double digit games. One of them our defense was horrible. HE certainly wasn't horrible, but it's a team game and his heart and passion wasn't able to lift us in 2006 at all.

In 2007 honestly we only probably wound up above .500 and in the playoffs because of the raw emotion/Gibbs leadership after his death.

During his tribute game in 2008, we lost because Zorn was horribly overmatched by Coughlin and the Giants were just a far superior team. It had nothing to due with lacking heart or disrespecting ST's memory. That's nonsense.

EJ Biggers doesn't get roasted because he doesn't have the same passion that ST had. He gets roasted because he doesn't have the TALENT and gifts that ST had.

Sanity.  Thank you.

Likewise. Tough memories, and so sad for his loved ones (especially his daughter). I was trying to explain to my wife how much he meant to us all, and how Sean was really the glue in the truly special team that was then in the making. That unbridled life-force that seemed to galvanize everything around him. We love all those guys, and of course Coach Gibbs, but man . . . what could have been . . .

Watching those clips again, it really illustrates how people have selective (or bad recall) memories of Sean's football career.  I hear, even on this board, how Sean would have been penalized by the league for his hits but every single time you see a highlight clip on this show, Sean is using his shoulder or forearms.  He is remarkable in that he almost never hit anyone using his helmet as a weapon. It's amazing to watch and puts the lie to such claims.

There were a few things I thought they would highlight, and they didn't:

- the hit that preserved the Monday night miracle game.

- the blocked punt return against Dallas in 2006. About the only highlight of the entire year.

- some footage of his daughter from the funeral. (I'm really glad they left that out, because I can still remember it, and it chokes me up every time I think about it.

- something about the 4 game winning streak

- I really thought it was going to end with some type of a quote about beating Dallas by 21. I think it was Portis who commented on it right after the game. Or said he went back out to look at the scoreboard, or something. Don't remember exactly

I also thought Lavar would have forced his way in somehow, and I'm thrilled he didn't.

Seeing Portis, Clark, Moss, Gregg Williams, Snyder and Gibbs talk about him was fantastic.

As an aside, I think as much crao as Snyder gets for meddling, and running a bad organization, some of which is warranted, I think he honestly and truly cares about his players.

As I said earlier, I thought it was exceptionally well done.

There were a few things I thought they would highlight, and they didn't:

- the hit that preserved the Monday night miracle game.

- the blocked punt return against Dallas in 2006. About the only highlight of the entire year.

- some footage of his daughter from the funeral. (I'm really glad they left that out, because I can still remember it, and it chokes me up every time I think about it.

- something about the 4 game winning streak

- I really thought it was going to end with some type of a quote about beating Dallas by 21. I think it was Portis who commented on it right after the game. Or said he went back out to look at the scoreboard, or something. Don't remember exactly

I also thought Lavar would have forced his way in somehow, and I'm thrilled he didn't.

Seeing Portis, Clark, Moss, Gregg Williams, Snyder and Gibbs talk about him was fantastic.

As an aside, I think as much crao as Snyder gets for meddling, and running a bad organization, some of which is warranted, I think he honestly and truly cares about his players.

As I said earlier, I thought it was exceptionally well done.

I completely agree.  I think that I went into it with the misconception that it would be about him as a player, but I'm glad it wasn't.

I would, however, like to see something similar focus on those things.

Since we're sharing stories I'll add mine. I'm 36 and have been a fan as long as I can remember. For the past 13 years a displaced fan in NYC. I'd listen to the radio, go to a sports bar or slingbox my way to see games. Sean at the time was my favorite player by far and right up there with Riggo as my top of all time.

When Sean passed I was working for a small company. I was comfortable and never in danger of losing my job. But when he pased it made me completely reevaluate where I was in life. How life is precious and not a minute of it should be wasted. I made the decision then to leave my job open my own company and six years later haven't looked back. A man who I never met changed the course of my life and I'll be forever greatful. I think about him often, he is definitely missed.

Archived