Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Sean Taylor A Football Life Air Date 26 September

Hail Em Up

If only this clowns on the team have 25% of his passion ...

Talent man it's about talent.  We were a 3 win team last year.

Anyway that's off topic.  On talent I'm glad that among others they sort of called out Cowherd for being the ******** he's always been, but particularly in the wake of Sean's death.

If you did not catch it, it's a must-see for Redskins fans. 

I'll never forget Taylor - I was lucky enough to cover his time in DC during the first several years of ES coverage. I did a little tribute composed mostly of photos I took during his first 2 years.

My best memory ever as a Redskins fan was covering the last game of the season in Philly in 2005 with Blade and seeing Sean make the interception that sent us to the playoffs. Blade and I ran down the sidelines shadowing Sean as he made his famous leap. And there were tears in our eyes, knowing that Gibbs had gotten us back to the playoffs for the first time in forever. Amazing night. I doubt I'll ever have a more memorable one involving the Redskins.

So heartbreaking to watch. So bittersweet. 

But man, it reminded me of how special those Gibbs 2 years really were. Yes, they didn't live up to the hype when all was said and done, but there were some great players from that era, Taylor, Portis and Moss being among the best. When you look at that time in hindsight, it's actually amazing what Gibbs was able to accomplish. 

But that Bills game was probably the lowest point. I was at that game. The emotion running through that stadium was like nothing I've ever experienced, and that first play with 10 guys on defense was overwhelming. And then, we lose in heartbreaking fashion, and it seemed almost like the we'd lost Gibbs at that point, too, as he seemed like a doddering, forgetful old man who'd lost his magic. 

But what an amazing run they went on after that game. Incredible. They gave everything they had to get to the playoffs, and they just had nothing left once they got there. But they got there for Sean, and they can hold their heads up high. It was a fitting tribute to him. 

Anyone else feel a little misty seeing Gregg Williams again? He looked good. 

Seeing this tonight is so especially painful, though, in the wake of the current state of the team. So demoralizing, another season pretty much over before it even started. A lack of talent everywhere you look. No one that comes close to what Sean Taylor was and meant to this team back then. This is so much more than just a game to so many of us; the team is woven into our souls with often unbreakable stitch, for better or, usually, worse. It breaks my heart to see what this team has come to. But seeing that tonight made me put on a Redskins shirt with what's left of my football pride. Sean deserves that at least.

I agree: the entire team should watch this. This is the legacy they're tarnishing when they play the way they've been playing. And still having Santana on the team should make the message even more potent.  

We all know what an awesome player he was, and most of "us" knew what a cerebral and great man he was.  As hard as that was to watch - and it WAS hard as hell - it's good to be reminded of what a dedicated, hard working, genuinely good family man and friend he was to those closest to him.

He was always be remembered.  I will always remember him.

So heartbreaking to watch. So bittersweet. 

But man, it reminded me of how special those Gibbs 2 years really were. Yes, they didn't live up to the hype when all was said and done, but there were some great players from that era, Taylor, Portis and Moss being among the best. When you look at that time in hindsight, it's actually amazing what Gibbs was able to accomplish. 

But that Bills game was probably the lowest point. I was at that game. The emotion running through that stadium was like nothing I've ever experienced, and that first play with 10 guys on defense was overwhelming. And then, we lose in heartbreaking fashion, and it seemed almost like the we'd lost Gibbs at that point, too, as he seemed like a doddering, forgetful old man who'd lost his magic. 

But what an amazing run they went on after that game. Incredible. They gave everything they had to get to the playoffs, and they just had nothing left once they got there. But they got there for Sean, and they can hold their heads up high. It was a fitting tribute to him. 

Anyone else feel a little misty seeing Gregg Williams again? He looked good. 

Seeing this tonight is so especially painful, though, in the wake of the current state of the team. So demoralizing, another season pretty much over before it even started. A lack of talent everywhere you look. No one that comes close to what Sean Taylor was and meant to this team back then. This is so much more than just a game to so many of us; the team is woven into our souls with often unbreakable stitch, for better or, usually, worse. It breaks my heart to see what this team has come to. But seeing that tonight made me put on a Redskins shirt with what's left of my football pride. Sean deserves that at least.

I agree: the entire team should watch this. This is the legacy they're tarnishing when they play the way they've been playing. And still having Santana on the team should make the message even more potent.  

Awesome post, man.  So very well said.

Well, to bring it full circle, I remember the Skins played the Giants at home in 2008 when they were commemorating the one-year anniversary of Sean's death.  The Skins had hit the skids somewhat after their 6-2 start but were still at 7-4 after beating Seattle out there.  The Giants were having a great season following their improbable Super Bowl run but were losing one of their weapons Plaxico Burress after his gunshot incident in the nightclub, and seemed ripe for the upset.

Instead New York came in here and just dominated us, 23-7.

Prior to that game, I had always looked forward to every week being somewhat confident that the Skins could pull out any game.

The performance this team gave that day changed my outlook on this team for good.  RG3 brought back some magic for me with the 2012 season, but the cynicism remains.

No doubt in my mind that that kid was going to be the best safety ever. What really sucks though is how misunderstood he was. What did he ever do that was so bad? A drunk driving? Yes, it's wrong and against the law, but almost everyone has gotten behind the wheel after a few too many at one time or another and it wasn't like he was smashed to the point where he couldn't walk or talk. The doon buggie deal? He called the police several times and they didn't do anything, so he took matters into his own hands. Spitting in Pittmans face in the playoff game? It happens in the heat of battle.

Listening to all who knew and loved him, this was a special person that was every bit a good young man as he was a football player. To be taken away from his family is obviously such a tragedy and from a football standpoint it is the worst thing that has ever happened to this franchise.  

To be perfectly honest, football hasnt been the same for me since we lost 21. I enjoyed our run in '12, but nothing tops seeing him patrol the secondary. I may have had as much fun watching his 6-10 rookie year in '04 as I did '12.

Does that make me selfish or any less of a fan? So be it. Doesnt change the way I feel. (Perhaps it was the young man in me at that time)

Will always love CP Tana and Sean coming out of the tunnel together. Those will always be my guys. Ryan Clark as well. They, and his other family and friends, did a great job on this. Forget us. How strong did they have to be to go through that again.

Exceptionally well done.

I have a 36 and a 21 jersey. I don't wear them anymore, because it seems almost disrespectful to ST to wear his jersey while watching this team.

A coupe random thoughts:

- looks like his daughter inherited some of his strength.

- I hate Lavar more than ever.

- I'm shocked, surprised, amazed and so thrilled that they took the time to call out the media members who did a character assassination on ST after he died, especially Wilbon and Cowheard. Frankly, I'm a hocked how Cowheard is permitted on 570 which is owned by Snyder.

- his death changed the franchise. Gibbs retired almost as a result of it.

- love Portis more than I ever have.

Edit: it also gave me an amazing urge to go hug my wife and baby girl,

If ST were alive, I'd like to hear you call his teammates 'clowns'. We may not be where we need to be, but who the hell are you to call them 'clowns'. Grow up.

LOL dude, chill out.If last night game doesnt let you see nothing about the team to you its OK. Everybody was destroyed in the second quarter, nobody step up in the field or in the bench, nobody wants to lift the team, everybody was lost.

I know if Sean was alive that will not happen in anyway because he will not allow it.

Did you hear Orakpo? Did you know what Kerrigan said or Ryan Clark said after the game?

I'm a fan who still support this team in another country for more than 20 years of sucking seasons, just like you up there in the US.

Edit this: By the way, Tana is not playing I can say for sure at least he will scream with anger to everybody after that debacle to make them wake up. Who did it? no one. Because this team has no leader on the field. No more Tana, no more Fletch.

Archived