Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Sean Taylor A Football Life Air Date 26 September

Hail Em Up

Starts in early September but not sure when the Sean Taylor episode is.  I hope they have more insight into his life and ST as a player instead of just a re-do of all the other stuff that is already out there.  Looking forward to it but I'm not going to be shedding any tears like some on here. 

He'd still be in the dam league today.. Honestly I'm tired of playing the "what if" card, I just want to move on already. I think of what his family is still going though, most of the time when I see a deep route get completed in his former area and the opposing fans cheering wondering if they know full well what could or couldn't have happened if he was still in our secondary.

But you wonder, if he was still around, would he have been a Redskin today? There have been many Redskins who were favorites early in their career only to see em finish elsewhere.

His whole story just bogs the mind. He was the only jersey in my 25 years of being a skins fan I spent hard earned money on and then his tragic end.   SMH

Personally, at the time Sean died everyone said he would have been one of the all time greats, and at that time I agreed.  But now, knowing what has happened to the rules of the league since his death, I don't think he would have been able to even play in this league.  His style has been all but outlawed.  It seems like every bone crushing hit draws a flag now, regardless of whether there was helmet to helmet or shoulder to helmet.  Sure he had the range to play center field too, but what made him feared was him blasting you.  It's almost as if when Sean died, hard hitting safetiess that punish opposing receivers died with him.

Personally, at the time Sean died everyone said he would have been one of the all time greats, and at that time I agreed.  But now, knowing what has happened to the rules of the league since his death, I don't think he would have been able to even play in this league.  His style has been all but outlawed.  It seems like every bone crushing hit draws a flag now, regardless of whether there was helmet to helmet or shoulder to helmet.  Sure he had the range to play center field too, but what made him feared was him blasting you.  It's almost as if when Sean died, hard hitting safetiess that punish opposing receivers died with him.

He would have had to adjust his game but if you look at his final season he was already moving in that direction.  He dropped from around 225-230 to 210-215 and was playing with more range.  I remember the Green Bay game specifically he was baiting Favre into two interceptions and had another couple nearly picked off.  It seemed he was transitioning from the "enforcer" role into more of a true center fielder.  I think Blache referred to his position in the defense as the "angel."   

Sean's form was flawless.  He also hit running backs with fury, so I don't see how hitting a guy with your shoulder would be banned.  It is true they have expanded defenseless receiver rules but people keep reflecting on ST like he was Mark Carrier or played dirty.  He'd give you the business but his tackling and hitting were very clean.

Most of his hits were delivered to the torso area.It just looked absurdly vicious because of the power he hit with

Most of his hits were delivered to the torso area.It just looked absurdly vicious because of the power he hit with

My point is, the NFL has been calling clean hits as penalties when they just "look" violent...and I don't think Sean Taylor would have been able to play in today's league with the way they call games.  It's flat our ridiculous.

My point is, the NFL has been calling clean hits as penalties when they just "look" violent...and I don't think Sean Taylor would have been able to play in today's league with the way they call games.  It's flat our ridiculous.

Sean was so good, he would have adjusted and been the premier safety in the NFL.

This is one of the two main reasons I watch Redskins games only.

Also, lets all man up a little bit here. We shouldn't be crying or sobbing because WE lost someone we liked watching on TV. Real feelings should go to his family, especially his daughter, who lost far more than all Redskins fans combined. It's not sad because Redskins fans lost their favorite player, it's sad because it was a senseless act of violence that ended in a murder and a baby who will never know her dad.

I don't know if we should go around telling people they can't have emotions.  Not everything with the human spirit makes sense, nor is all emotional release proportional to some rationally designed idea. The night I heard the news I cried my eyes out.  What I told people is that it is like what I might have felt had Michael Jordan been killed during his playing days.  

I still have a hard time watching the Elephant Man, a couple of sections of Brothers Karamazov make me tear up, and that is an actor in makeup and text on a page, respectively. I don't think we should be drawing lines about what's appropriate for someone, other than it should get better over time and maybe shouldn't make a show of it or do it every damn time (I think here of Brendan Fraser's 'sensitive' character in Bedazzled ha)

It's strange because emotionally I'm damn near cold as ice with actual people (other than losing someone I care for.)

I'd have to disagree with your take on his style. He wasn't known for being a dirty hitter. For the most part he was a fantastic form tackler. His hit on Tatum Bell in Denver in '05, Reggie Brown in Philly in '07, the Raider WR in '05 I forgot his name. The only time people called ST dirty was when he spit on Michael Pittman in the TB playoff game,other than that, I never heard people complain that he was a Meriweather type dirty hitter.

This is one of the two main reasons I watch Redskins games only.

Also, lets all man up a little bit here. We shouldn't be crying or sobbing because WE lost someone we liked watching on TV. Real feelings should go to his family, especially his daughter, who lost far more than all Redskins fans combined. It's not sad because Redskins fans lost their favorite player, it's sad because it was a senseless act of violence that ended in a murder and a baby who will never know her dad.

Because we can only either be sad for our loss OR sad for his family's loss.  There's no way it can be both.  You can define everyone's feelings towards Sean as just "someone we liked watching on TV."

Am I getting this right?  I hope that I'm not, because that's an extremely self-pretentious, contextually inappropriate, and idiotic things I've read.  Please clarify, because you couldn't POSSIBLY have meant something like that.

My heart was lighting up when I read this headline. NFL Network will do a 1 hour documentary on Sean Taylor this fall (Sept). Couldn't be happier!

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/dc-sports-bog/wp/2014/08/15/nfl-network-will-feature-the-redskins-sean-taylor-in-a-football-life-series/

Former Redskins safety Sean Taylor, who died in 2007 after being shot by intruders at his Miami area home, will be featured in NFL Network’s “A Football Life” documentary series this fall, a network spokesman confirmed. The hour-long program about Taylor is tentatively scheduled to air on Sept. 26; the network typically follows up such documentaries with additional programming, including further interviews and discussion.

This is the third straight year the series will include a prominent former Redskins star. In 2012, the network aired a John Riggins documentary, and last year’s topics included former tight end Jerry Smith.

The series, a production of NFL Films, “examines the untold stories of the most influential NFL icons with unprecedented access,” the network says in its promotional materials. “Each film tells the story of how their legacy is forever intertwined in the fabric of NFL history.”

Fans began speculating about a Taylor documentary in recent days, after NFL Network started airing “A Football Life” promos that included famous footage of the safety leaping into the end zone.

Taylor, of course, remains beloved in Washington, with fans frequently wearing his jersey and otherwise celebrating his career. The return of Ryan Clark this season has also meant more stories about Taylor, with Clark wearing Taylor’s No. 21 jersey during practice, as he has for years.

“People in Pittsburgh knew about it, and if you hear a fan ask me why I had a different number on, people who were there, who were at camp a lot, would explain to them, ‘Well, Sean Taylor, he was his friend, he played for Washington,’ ” Clark told reporters during training camp. “And so it always made people talk about him, it always struck up conversation about the player he was, about the man he was becoming. And so that’s exciting.

“Wearing it here is difficult,” Clark said. “There are some fans who never met Sean who say I shouldn’t wear it to practice. But I understand. That’s why they call them fans; they’re fanatics and they’re not always right in certain situations, so I don’t mind that. I just try to wear it and honor him. I know I’m not the player he was or the athlete he was, but he was my friend and I want people to remember him.”

Clark also often wears towels that pay homage to Taylor’s name and number.

“I’ve done it since he passed,”  Clark said. “I know a lot of people may think it’s something new that I do now because I’m a part of the Redskins organization, but nah, this is for me. And this is an opportunity for me to remember a friend, an opportunity to get other people to remember a friend, and that’s why I do it. I’ve got about seven of these towels actually, different colors, and it’s part of me. I made a vow that as long as I was playing, he’d be playing somewhere, too.”

Make sure you tune in!

Archived