Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Sean Taylor A Football Life Air Date 26 September

Hail Em Up

When he died, there was an Onion article about it.  I heard about it and was angry until I clicked and read it.  Poignant sarcasm ripping all the dickhead mediots who came up with crazy thug conspiracy smears.  The gist was "NFL commissioner warns players about staying in their homes after midnight."

I really didn't go along with all the ST love until his 3rd year.  Initially he was making too many mistakes going for the kill shot.  His 3rd year he was as good as any DB  in the game, including Polamalu and Reed, who were then in their prime.  Interesting to hear GW talk about how he had to convince ST to play so far back in year 3.  I might add that Laron Landry was a near perfect compliment to ST, playing up close to the line, but utterly useless without him (think Tom Carter without Darrell Green).

Heading to bed.  Really want to thank you guys, most of who'm I've never even met, who can share in our appreciation for Sean.  It's just really, REALLY nice to see that even in the age of Twitter (hell, most of Sean's games weren't even in HD) and where "storylines" are sought after rather than being just a mere backdrop, Sean can still have an impact.

Also to many of you on the board when this happened, I am so, so grateful to having been able to grieve with you guys.

Diss said it best:  As long as we remember, Sean Taylor forever.

It is hard to imagine that he wasn't even 24 yet. He was still such a young man.

I remember how the misery of the 2003 season on this board was only lightened up by thinking about Sean Taylor in the next draft in 2004

There were threads, debates, everything with our band of brothers at the time. Taylor or Winslow for months?

What a joy to watch him play. It is actually hard to remember just how dominant he was until you see it again. Unreal how talented he was

I can't believe its been almost 7 years. 

I was a junior in high school in 2007.  I remember constantly checking different new sources online for any possible updates and reading extremeskins forum posts.  I was so optimistic and hopeful at the news that was being reported in that he was responded to Doctors and squeeze the hand.  It took a while but I eventually fell asleep.

I woke up at 6:00AM with that feeling you might have when your alarm does not go off and you feel late for work or school.  I woke up with that feeling immediately anxious to see the latest reported news.  I vividly remember opening up my internet browser to find out if Sean had made it through the night.  My home page was Yahoo and I immediately saw Sean's face with the article title saying what happened.  

I broke down.  I was living with my mom and I just stayed home from school that day and broke down, for some reason I felt like I lost a family member.  In a weird way my mom understood.

I found myself wondering how could I be so depressed and heart broken, ultimately it hinged on the fact that here was this football player who had brought me so many good memories of Redskins victories, thrilling unbelievable plays that I had never seen any other football player make and just taking away from his family by thieving cowards.

I'm glad the show pointed out the Green Bay game in 2007.  Sean had slimmed down that year and was SO fast.  They pointed out how he got 2 INT off Favre and dropped another 3 in that same game.  Sean was leading the league in interceptions and entering his prime.

I was at the Tampa playoff game  he returned the fumble for a TD, I remember what sports bar I was at with my dad and brother when Troy Vincent blocked the Cowboy's Vanderjagt game winning field goal attempt, Sean Taylor picked it up and returned it, facemask penalty led to Novak's game winner (If only Sean would have cut left side down the sideline he would have scored!)

In 2005 I remember 5 IN A ROW OR WE DON'T GO!  Sean Taylor leaping into the end zone against the Eagles.

I am so grateful for everything I have and it was an honor to have Sean Taylor wear a Redskins uniform.  I will continue to wear my Sean Taylor jersey during Redskins games because of the man he was and the player I looked up to.

Hail to the Redskins.

That was really great to be able to see some of that seldom seen before game footage in HD. Thought the documentary was very well done.

But am I the only one who is disappointed that the documentary skipped over the 4 game winning streak to end the season and make the playoffs and the massive outpouring of emotion and support from Redskins nation?

I understand that it is "A Football Life: Sean Taylor," but I think it would have been nice to show a little bit more of the outpouring of fan support other than a short pictures of fans holding vigil and the flowers around his parking spot. I literally cannot remember an athlete that was cut down in his prime that was mourned by a fanbase to the same extent Sean was.

The 4 game winning streak was special too. They didn't show a single highlight from it, only a Portis TD run from that Gibbs double timeout disaster vs. the Bills. They could have shown some more clips of Santana and Portis throwing up the "21" during the streak, especially the win vs. Dallas in week 17 (by 21 points no less) to make the playoffs. 

Why did he tape up his face mask? Never really noticed that. Was there a purpose or did he just like the look of it?

I dunno why he did it, but it looked stupid.

Anyway, I have it on DVR. Haven't gotten around to it yet though. I'm definitely interested in watching it. But I'm sure I won't tear up or any of that stuff.

I will forever being at that Bills game.  The vibe of the crowd.   We were all a big family morning the lost of our family.   It was heartbreaking losing that game on a penalty because gibbs called the two time outs back to back.   I remember the weather was very fitting given the moods of us skins fan.  Grey ugly out raining just a dreary day.  That walk back to the car was mostly in silence.  RIP Sean gone but never forgotten.

Pic from the game.  That video at the beginning had me in tears.

SeanTaylorMemorialGame083-1.jpg

I also remember this guy walking around the stadium.  

SeanTaylorMemorialGame064-1.jpg

I dunno why he did it, but it looked stupid.

Anyway, I have it on DVR. Haven't gotten around to it yet though. I'm definitely interested in watching it. But I'm sure I won't tear up or any of that stuff.

Oh really, prove it put a live cam in the room while you watch it.  There is no way you cant tear up if you were ever a ST fan. It's just so sad. LOl, but good try though man. If you really wasn't going to tear up you wouldn't have made mention about " not going to tear up". It's okay we all did the guy was a beast! RIP Meast

Oh really, prove it put a live cam in the room while you watch it. There is no way you cant tear up if you were ever a ST fan. It's just so sad. LOl, but good try though man. If you really wasn't going to tear up you wouldn't have made mention about " not going to tear up". It's okay we all did the guy was a beast! RIP Meast

I was a fan of Taylor's. But I didn't know the guy. I wont shed any tears, I'm sure. That doesn't make me any less of a fan. I would say more on the subject, but I will just keep it to myself. Will definitely watch though.

It's hilarious how some people take offense to that little Giants series thing the NFL Network was trying to promote there at the bottom corner. And to even say that it's a slap in the face of Sean's family. How pathetic. Get over yourself. Some things are bigger than football and a dumb rivalry especially. I didn't even notice that thing because I actually paid attention to what the guys had to say about Sean.

Why did Sean change his number? I assume 21 was simply freed up but I cannot remember who had it before.

I thought it was telling we lost that Buffalo game, almost a game to mourn, and then reeled off 4 straight wins to make the playoffs. Maybe if he played vs Seattle it would have been us with 2 INTs for TDs. 

I remember Gibbs texting or calling Sean trying to get him to report for voluntary workouts. After 2-3 weeks Sean reported or called Gibbs, and told him that he had gotten a new phone number.

It seems rare how inspired he was to stay in shape workout voluntarily. Run home from practice. He clearly got that from his dad. 

Why did Sean change his number? I assume 21 was simply freed up but I cannot remember who had it before.

I thought it was telling we lost that Buffalo game, almost a game to mourn, and then reeled off 4 straight wins to make the playoffs. Maybe if he played vs Seattle it would have been us with 2 INTs for TDs. 

I remember Gibbs texting or calling Sean trying to get him to report for voluntary workouts. After 2-3 weeks Sean reported or called Gibbs, and told him that he had gotten a new phone number.

It seems rare how inspired he was to stay in shape workout voluntarily. Run home from practice. He clearly got that from his dad. 

From what I understand Sean changed his number because the 21st letter in the alphabet was....the U

(Smoot orginally wore it)

And what's really sad is it seems we are cursed at the safety position. It's been years now, and nobody has been able to come in whether free agent or draft pick and play that position. It makes you appreciate the talent he was, because nobody else that comes here can do it

I saw it one more time and then some videos on youtube.

For what I can see from Sean his tackling technique was very solid, IDK maybe just me but that is the league wants, "body tacklings". He nailed some guys and maybe today will be a flag but man, what a player WHAT A PLAYER!

Thanks for the good and fun memories Sean.

For what I can see from Sean his tackling technique was very solid, IDK maybe just me but that is the league wants, "body tacklings". He nailed some guys and maybe today will be a flag but man, what a player WHAT A PLAYER!

Aside from the loss of his life, there's another angle.  The way he played the game (in his first two years) has been completely legislated out of the game.  The hit he put on Willie Parker in the flats, him being in the right place at the right time to dislodge passes, or obliterate receivers...we'll probably never see that again.

I hated that Gregg Williams put him 25 yards off the ball in 2007.  He was so talented he thrived anyways.  He was so good, you wanted him to be there on crossing routes, and to come up and hit RBs.   Even though 2006 was our worst year team wise while he was here, watching him be everywhere, all over the field was truly amazing.  

Not sure what you are even talking about to begin with, anyone who watched the documentary had to be frustrated by not being able to read many of the names because of an ad in the lower right corner the whole time... But I digress, this isn't the thread for that kind of posting. Bite your tongue or report a post next time

I went back to watch the documentary and i could read all the names just fine.  Are you guys sure it isn't your broadcast or your tv?

The only thing I'd caution here is the tone I see some taking about turning the emotions surrounding ST into some sort of indictment of the current team.

ST played three full seasons in Washington and in two of them we lost double digit games. One of them our defense was horrible. HE certainly wasn't horrible, but it's a team game and his heart and passion wasn't able to lift us in 2006 at all.

In 2007 honestly we only probably wound up above .500 and in the playoffs because of the raw emotion/Gibbs leadership after his death.

During his tribute game in 2008, we lost because Zorn was horribly overmatched by Coughlin and the Giants were just a far superior team. It had nothing to due with lacking heart or disrespecting ST's memory. That's nonsense.

EJ Biggers doesn't get roasted because he doesn't have the same passion that ST had. He gets roasted because he doesn't have the TALENT and gifts that ST had.

He was a rare find, a very unique size/skill combo. He was also a ferocious hitter and had a bit of a mysterious personality with a touch of bad boy rep mixed in--- that all combined to make him a fan favorite. Then, just as his immense raw gifts were starting to translate into actual football dominance (he was amazing in 2007), he was taken away. And it seems that he was also simultaneously maturing as a man. An absolute tragic shame all around.

And it was a crushing blow to an organization that was unstable and maybe just rounding into a more stable era.

He was not the best defensive player I've ever seen or even the best safety. But it looked like he was on his way there. And of course there will always be the question of what he was going to become. And I'll personally always wonder what the direction the organization as a whole would have taken had he not been killed.

Archived