Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN: Jackson signing risky at best

MattFancy

How can something be risky at best?  Risk isn't a result but a description.  Further, if a thing an action is risky, there is some probability of positive results (at least from the perspective of the on that took the action).  Finally, an action that will fail is not risky.

That's obviously a little bit different than gangsters isn't it?  

Why is it that if someone in your car has 2 pounds of cocaine on them, you get arrested as well even though you didn't know they had it?

affiliate-to bring into close association or connection: The research center is affiliated with the university.

To be affiliated doesn't mean that he's popin caps in pigs.  It means he has a connection.  Which is why teams were a little nervous to sign him.  However, I'm glad we signed him because a connection doesn't mean he's a thug.  It just means he could have grown up around it or like someone said, known a business partner getting involved in something like that.

Like I said 100 times, I'm all for this signing and don't expect any problems.  I just asked a simple question about how affiliated he was with gang members.  

Dude, you're doing this right and wrong at the same time.

Engineers are different from gangsters, but institutions are a better analogy?  Come on.

You went to dictionary.com to get that, which was fine, but you may have wanted to put the synonyms down, too.  It was a writer who chose that word, and the writer had an agenda (getting more traffic is an agenda).

As for the two pounds of cocaine, you get arrested because you're caught with a guy in the act of committing a felony who could, with reasonable thinking, be holding it for you.  Last I checked, having a friend is not a felony.  As I said, I am not any more affiliated with the company my friend works for than Jackson is with his friend's gang until proven otherwise.  It hasn't been.

Remember when Tana put up the 21 symbol with his hand after Sean died?  Yeah, people thought that was a gang symbol, too.  I mean, after all, he went to Thug U with Sean.  And Wilbon posted a just plain ridiculous story saying that the murder was due to Sean's lifestyle and those he associated with.  Turns out that was anything but the case.

I don't like Jackson's attitude, I'm not a Jackson fan, but I am a fan of giving someone a fair shake.

Now, now. The man's grammar is perfectly correct.

Clearly, what the man is trying to say is that, two years from now, there are two possibilities.

1) It will blow up in our faces. (In which case, he will claim "I told you it was risky")

2) It will work spectacularly. (In which case, he will say "Yeah, it worked. But it was risky.")

How can something be risky at best?  Risk isn't a result but a description.  Further, if a thing an action is risky, there is some probability of positive results (at least from the perspective of the on that took the action).  Finally, an action that will fail is not risky.

Someone learned about transition words in English today . . . :)

but guys in gangs only hang with their gangs.  So if Desean hangs out with someone in a gang he must be in the gang too

I don't think you know anything about gangs at all and know the streets even less.

Without blowing this post to crap, I'll just keep it short and sweet: No.

EDIT: Open to you being sarcastic in this post.  Hoping that's the case.

Read about Kendrick Lamar's life sometime if you want proof that gang acquaintance is not the same as gang membership. If you live in a really crappy part of town and simply end up hanging with the wrong people, it can follow you for a long time. If Sean Taylor were still around, he could attest to that.

I don't think you know anything about gangs at all and know the streets even less.

Without blowing this post to crap, I'll just keep it short and sweet: No.

EDIT: Open to you being sarcastic in this post.  Hoping that's the case.

yes that was sarcasm.  

Remember when Tana put up the 21 symbol with his hand after Sean died?  Yeah, people thought that was a gang symbol, too.  I mean, after all, he went to Thug U with Sean.  And Wilbon posted a just plain ridiculous story saying that the murder was due to Sean's lifestyle and those he associated with.  Turns out that was anything but the case.

I don't like Jackson's attitude, I'm not a Jackson fan, but I am a fan of giving someone a fair shake.

I really copied that analogy with the definition during work during a busy time so my bad.

I don't think you understand what Im trying to say. I really just meant that if you don't want people to think a certain way about you, don't hang out with those certain types of people. Does it mean he's a gangster? No. I agree with you. Does it throw red flags? YES. We apparently only disagree with the definition of the word "affiliate" but agree with the signing. It sounds like you think I'm mad over the signing because I think he's a gangster when I was only getting info on why people call him that. It's seriously not smart to take a picture like that especially after Hernandez. However, I don't think he's like him at all and I too will give him a fair shake.

Philly continues to double down on this story.  Do I think Jackson is a diva?  Yep, no doubt about it.  However, the guy gets things done and is electric.  I actually think our locker room will be great for him.  Does anyone here actually think the Philly locker room was a place with stand up vets like ours will be? 

It's not uncommon for college coaches to come in and rub guys the wrong way. They're used to dealing with impressionable kids and not full grown men. I suspect if there was friction, this was the source. Jackson was probably not the only vet player who bristled at Kelly's management style, just the most vocal. I'm also not concerned that his team mates haven't stood up and defended him. They're still there and don't want to seem insubordinate. Kelly's initial season was good, but that happens all the time. What will be important is if he can sustain his success. It's easy to be in control when things are going well. If they falter, you might see a bit more chaos down the road. Should be interesting

Kelly screwed the pooch on this one, and it will come back to haunt him. Jackson is motivated, the Redskins energized and the Eagles left looking stupid. DeSean crafted his rebuttal and appears calm, focused and honest. Now he just has to stay with the program. 

http://www.csnwashin...-perfect-no-one

DeSean Jackson acknowledged to ESPN’s Stephen A. Smith that he made some mistakes early on his career but that he’s “matured to the utmost” in recent years.

“Have I always been perfect? Have I always done things the right way? No,” Jackson told Smith in a lengthy interview Friday afternoon. “Have I learned and found out a better way of doing things? Yes.”

“Me coming in the league at 20 years old, very young, not knowing the right and wrong things to do,” Jackson continued. “I had to learn it. I’m not perfect. No one is. But at the end of the day, I’m going to learn to do it the right way.”

BTW: the interview with Stephen A Smith was great... and he references this story.

Actually, I feel like DJax has been humbled considerably - he seems grounded in his interview with SAS.

I think TK started a thread with a really long post, containing a transcript of his teleconference, when he was hired. And boy, those quotes sure pushed all the right buttons, for me. He tipped his hat to RG3 and Morris. To the new coaches. Said nice, professional, things about his former team.

Now, I suppose it could all be an act. But it sure didn't read that way, to me.

But if Jackson coveted stability, a chance to win and a place where he could make the most of his vast potential, then it's difficult to see the logic in his decision. That's because he's just joined an organization that has been a long-running joke in the league for a good reason.

Oh yeah, going to the Raiders would have been MUCH better (he would have been paid less in SF). Long running is pretty accurate except for winning the NFCE just a couple of years ago. I've said that our offense would do well with a decent go-to WR, and DJax fits the bill in my book. A little more tweaking on the OL and I'd say to just concentrate more on draft day with the D. Whatever anyone thinks our pickup of DJax will be (pro or con), it's NOT the same as Fat Alberts. It's just a 3 year contract that we can get out of with cap intact. Seriously, the next couple of years it's going to be the Eagles we are going to have to fight to stay on top, and I can't think of a better motivator to get this done.

Did you read how that online dictionary used the phrase in context?

"At best we found their visit pleasantly short. The dinner was not at all pleasant. At best the food was not burned. At most there were three people in line ahead of me."

They are talking about results...their visit was short, the food was not burned. "Risky" is not a result.

"At best" and "The best" are not the same thing. So "The best way to describe signing Jackson is to say it's risky" does not mean the same thing as "At best, signing Jackson is risky".

Archived