Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN: Jackson signing risky at best

MattFancy

Did you read how that online dictionary used the phrase in context?

"At best we found their visit pleasantly short. The dinner was not at all pleasant. At best the food was not burned. At most there were three people in line ahead of me."

They are talking about results...their visit was short, the food was not burned. "Risky" is not a result.

"At best" and "The best" are not the same thing. So "The best way to describe signing Jackson is to say it's risky" does not mean the same thing as "At best, signing Jackson is risky".

Wow. This is bordering on the ridiculous at this point.

Those  things are not "results" they are judgements.

The best I can say about their visit is it was pleasantly short.

The best thing I can say about the dinner is the food was not burned.

The best thing I can say about the Jackson signing is it is risky.

As opposed to the balderdash interpretation people are trying to use: In the best case scenario this signing will end up being risky.

There is a clear and correct interpretation of what he said. If you choose to ignore it and ascribe a different, nonsensical meaning so that you can then insult the writer for not making sense, then that is a sad exercise. At best.

Judging the mistakes the Redskins have made in the past and applying them to the Desean signing is narrow minded and the easy way out.  Never mind the free agent signings in the past 10 years or so that have worked out - Clinton Portis, Marcus Washington, Pierre Garcon, London Fletcher, etc.  But if we are judging the Skins of today on their past then I guess the draft will be full of busts too right?  You know guys like Alfred Morris, Jordan Reed, Robert Griffin, etc.  Point is this organization has changed and learned from their mistakes.  Even though the record did not reflect it last season, this team is much improved and seems to be functioning properly.

But what do I know, I've only been following the Redskins religiously for 27 years.

Saw Andre Roberts was frustrated with the Jackson signing.  I don't blame him, he could be a really good #2 WR.  Now he is relegated again.  Too bad.  You know Garcon or Jackson will get hurt eventually, that's why teams stockpile talent.

I'd want him to be disappointed about getting fewer targets or less playing time so that's good. Having said that, I would also hope that he's excited that his team (and his unit) got much better. If this team plays well and produces, there will be plenty of footballs to catch and plenty of spotlight for our play makers. It's up to them...many #3 WRs have become popular/famous in good offenses. 

I'm worried that he's speaking out. It says a few things. I wouldn't be worried about it in general because as soon as this all went down I thought (as I'm sure the coaches did as well) that all three guys can rotate positions. They can all play outside, & inside. I figured DJax's, & Garçon's numbers would go down, but Roberts will come up to their numbers & Reed will be close behind.

It worries me that he is "frustrated," & "was expecting a #2 role" because it doesn't say much for either his football IQ, or his confidence in communication with the FO or coaches. That he said this where it would become public laundry tells me that he's not ready to be a team guy. That he's more interested in numbers, or expectations than in what's best for the team.

I would watch this space, & if it doesn't buck up quick, I wouldn't rule out a trade to get rid of an unhappy camper.

Of course...we need to wait to see the if it's a context issue, or if the player has a retort. Still, I don't like this story one bit.

It's gotta be frustrating for sure. He was stuck behind Fitz and Floyd last year, thought he was getting a good shot at being a #2, only to have the rug pulled from underneath him. Though, I wonder how much of this is being overblown like the RG3 logo and other DJax topics. I read an article on ESPN that quoted him as saying he would be excited to return punts and kicks. Perhaps that is what he meant by "reassess his role"?

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10767909/washington-redskins-andre-roberts-calls-desean-jackson-addition-frustrating?ex_cid=espnapi_public

"If I can get back there and return some kicks and return some punts for this team, I'm going to be pretty happy."

Even if DeSean Jackson doesn't catch a lot of balls, the defenses must respect his speed when he goes deep.

This is what the great Bill Walsh said about the deep ball.

Most coaches will call it and just throw it one way or the other and hope for the best, but we'll call it often. If we call 10 deep balls, go patterns, we'll throw 4 or 5.  The others will go to our tight end or our backs...Again, primary, alternate, outlet.  With that combination you can call the deep ball often because you're not going to throw it unless it's there.

That's why Roger Craig lead the team in receptions most years.

Jackson will open up the offense for everyone else, in particular Jordan Reed.  Simply having Jackson on the field helps us a lot.  There's not a lot of risk in that.

This is why, if I was AlMo...I would be running routes, & doing whatever I could to improve my pass-catching skills before training camp. If he can stay on the field & be a good receiving threat then he could explode in production, & really make this offense click.

I'd want him to be disappointed about getting fewer targets or less playing time so that's good. Having said that, I would also hope that he's excited that his team (and his unit) got much better. If this team plays well and produces, there will be plenty of footballs to catch and plenty of spotlight for our play makers. It's up to them...many #3 WRs have become popular/famous in good offenses. 

Az Hakim comes to mind.

From Philly.com

Hmmm... This is "Shady". McCoy doesn't sound happy. Seems to be telling a different side of the story.

From the link below...

"Asked about the CBS-3 story that alleged Jackson had repeated conflicts with Kelly and cursed the coach out in front of the team, McCoy said: "I've never seen that. I've never seen the two of them get into it."

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/sports/eagles/McCoy-says-he-doesnt-know-why-DeSean-is-gone.html

More from that article.....

"It’s a surprise for sure," McCoy said when asked for his reaction. "I think anybody that tells you that they’re happy about it, I don’t know how honest that would be. It was a surprise. You heard so much, you didn’t really know. Not playing with him this year is gonna definitely be different. And playing against him is really gonna be different. I just imagine all the times we used to… knowing defensive teams are gonna try to defend us and different things like that, and now we’ve gotta defend against him, so it’s gonna be a little different.

Looks like someone in the Eagles front office did a job on Desean in the press. Ol Chip will find out that power in Oregon is not like the NFL. College players don't have unions, someone else will speak out about what happend.

Saw Andre Roberts was frustrated with the Jackson signing.  I don't blame him, he could be a really good #2 WR.  Now he is relegated again.  Too bad.  You know Garcon or Jackson will get hurt eventually, that's why teams stockpile talent.

Yeah man, Andre definitely sounds frustrated.  But then I got to thinking this could be a new version of the posse.  I could see Garcon getting about 1,200 yards and Jackson 900 to 1,000 and Roberts in the 700 to 800 range.  Having all three of those guys on the field at the same time will open up opportunities for Roberts because defenses will be so worried about containing DJ and accounting for Garcon.  This could work out pretty good for Roberts.  Not to mention injuries and whatnot.  I can't wait to see Garcon, DJ, Roberts, and Reed out there.  All 4 of those guys are legit.  This is the best receiving corp I can remember since #81/84/83.  Man I hope that Griffin and these guys connect and maximize their potential.  If anyone should be frustrated Hankerson should be.  Unless he comes out beastin' like a mofo he will see his playing time decrease quite a bit.  This is the first time since 1990 that I've been so realistically optimistic about our offense.  I think everything will start to come together soon.  And I actually have faith in that belief!

I could see Andre Roberts being upset but he got 4 mil guaranteed that imo no other team in the league was going to offer him.

What this does do is give him the option of being a great number 3 provided he can beat out santana moss leonard hankerson aldrick robinson which for the money we are paying I hope he does win the number 3 job.

He should see this as a great thing because now he will prob face the other teams number 3 cb provided desean and pierre stay healthy.

All 3 could get 1000 to 1200 yards if RG3 has a 4000 to 4300 passing yards type season.

I do not see the Desean signing as risky. He is only guaranteed 2 years of the deal from what I understand. After Haynesworth and Mcnabb left DC they each got 1 more chance and then the league was done with them.

I think Desean, if he can stay healthy, can have 2 or 3 more prime years in him.

Just posted by the same writer: http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10780145/eagles-coach-chip-kelly-rude-awakening

Someday we will hear Philadelphia Eagles head coach Chip Kelly explain the thought process that went into the release of Pro Bowl wide receiver DeSean Jackson a couple weeks ago. Until then, it's best to assume Kelly's ego had as much to do with this as Jackson's alleged misbehavior.

It's reached a point where even recent comments by Eagles star running back LeSean McCoy have created more questions about the relationship between Kelly and Jackson. About the only thing certain is Kelly will have a much harder time winning games with Jackson now playing for the Washington Redskins.

Of all the things McCoy recently told the Philadelphia Daily News -- comments that included McCoy saying he was surprised by his teammate's release -- the most important admission: The Eagles have some big shoes to fill. Whatever baggage Jackson compiled with the Eagles last season, he's still the best deep threat in pro football. The idea that a talent like that can be replaced easily is ludicrous at best. Kelly's apparent belief that one player doesn't dictate how successfully his fast-paced offense operates is an even sillier notion.

This is the NFL and any head coach who has won consistently will tell you that players win games. Great schemes do matter. Phenomenal preparation is paramount. But when the games kick off and the action intensifies, the teams that usually prosper have playmakers who produce on a weekly basis. This is what Jackson gave the Eagles -- a dynamic presence who could hurt an opponent from anywhere on the field. Aside from the maturation of quarterback Nick Foles last season and the brilliance of McCoy, Jackson's career year was the biggest reason Kelly's offense flourished in the coach's first season in Philadelphia.

When Jackson wasn't torching opponents -- he finished with 82 receptions, 1,332 yards and nine touchdowns -- his speed was creating opportunities for other receivers. Even Kelly admitted that his team saw quite a bit of man coverage last year and Jackson produced huge rewards as a result.

Archived