Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN: Jackson signing risky at best

MattFancy

So, was keeping Lawrence Taylor on your roster risky at best because of his drug problems?

I am sure there a lot of risky situations out there on teams.  Aldon Smith got drunk and got a DUI.  is it risky to give him a huge contract?

All you need to know about that article is in the comments when fans of other teams are even bashing the author, saying that he predicted doom and gloom for Seattle when they signed Carroll and drafted Russell Wilson.

I'm not sure you could grow up in the neighborhood where DJax was raised and NOT have some friends who were in with gangs.

I have been looking and looking for the fire underneath this "gang affiliations" smoke, and I have come up with bupkus.  The police sure aren't backing any of it up.   There may be more to this story that we haven't heard, but so far it looks like nothing but character assassination.  

but guys in gangs only hang with their gangs.  So if Desean hangs out with someone in a gang he must be in the gang too

Not a big fan of Chandiha overall.....just seems that several mediots like him want to live in the past with the Redskins, and cannot possibly think that maybe the organization is changing for the better.  Another mediot like this is UnWise Mike.....

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/redskins/desean-jackson-signing-with-redskins-seems-to-have-familiar-fingerprints/2014/04/02/88eabc1a-ba89-11e3-9c3c-311301e2167d_story.html

In this case, Wise opines that Snyder, not Allen/Gruden/team members, was the driving force behind the Jackson signing, a signing that he disagrees with. 

Just makes me appreciate other media guys like Keim, Graziano, Tandler, El- Bashir etc....who manage to cover the team fairly, present pro's and con's to various situations, and back up their opinions by doing more than just dredging up past history. 

Hahaha this line killed me " Jackson became a star because Reid knew how to relate to one of the most explosive talents in the league today"

Then he says that Jackson was released after his best season because " Kelly didn't wanna go out of his way to do the same" really? What a clown.

Obviously Allen, Jay, RGIII and Hall went out of their way to manage this explosive talent, hahaaa. 

That DeSean he has already caused quite a stir, by being humble, not slamming the Eagles and refusing to change numbers...oh wait....That wasn’t the case, and it appears Jackson has settled on No. 11., now available on the Redskins team store. Fellow receiver Aldrick Robinson will be switching to the No. 15 jersey.

With the speed we had already in two WRs who operate best in the short to intermediate game a WR who holds the S deep can make a 10 yard difference for that S to make the TD saving tackle.  What he is best at is something we struggle at and it makes a difference space wise.  

We're likely getting the best years of Jackson.  Entering his physical prime and emotionally much more mature than when he started out in the NFL, for an affordable contract  If we get a good RT in the draft we will be fielding a very dangerous team next year.  AlMo will  go off this year, again :)

If he signed with the 49ers or the Patriots the column would've been completely different. This is just reality as far as being a Redskins fan goes. I've grown tired of it so I just don't click on the articles anymore.

Exactly.  Same if he signed with Dal@ss.  Snyder's past is the all the fodder people at BSPN need to write articles like these.

I don't mind someone taking a logical approach to a move we made. I am not really high on our OL choices this off-season. That's fine, give us an X's and O's discussion why. But to take the stance: "The Redskins suck, they will always suck and should never do anything to get better. All players should sign elsewhere and be happy about it!" is trolling for webhits.

Oh, noes! Someone in the media didn't praise everything the Redskins did? Must be a conspiracy!

Not saying it's a conspiracy. Just saying the guy came off as just rehashing old talking points and not doing any research on the matter. Risky at best? To me that means he sees zero upside for DJax or the Skins out of this deal. So signing a Pro Bowl player coming off his career best season is "risky at best"?

You know what this reminds me of?

Does anyone else remember when Bob jackass Costas did that little monologue about Philly the year of the "dream team"? During Monday Night Football or Sunday Night, whatever it was, during his "full retard" time where he says whatever nonsensical things he's going to say for the night, he defended Philly's offseason moves to try and create the second coming of the Miami Heat? He essentially said, don't make fun of the Eagles, because though every team that has ever done this before has failed, this is different because Philly is smart and those other guys were stupid. Oh God, thinking about it still makes me want to vomit.

This wreaks of the same garbage. What is with this obsession with all NFCE teams? It seems like the Giants and Eagles are right up there with the Patriots lately as the NFLs babies, while the Cowboys and Skins are just those teams people like to laugh about, even when there's really nothing to laugh about. Whatever.

Lost all credibility when he mentioned diva and RG3 in the same sentence. I really don't understand where ESPN is getting that from? Maybe the media is spinning things with DJax like they do with RG3?

I don't see it as a risk. We got DJax for a fair price. He's the middle of his prime. He fills in the void for the missing 1st round pick. This was one slash move that actually made sense.

Sorry, but that's a pretty terrible mis-understanding of the quote. "at best" in that case clearly means "it's the best description I can give this signing".

Do you really think that "at best"--only used in the title, not in the article--was meant as "the best way I can describe this signing is that it's risky"?...Because if so, you're waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay off.

Oh, noes! Someone in the media didn't praise everything the Redskins did? Must be a conspiracy!

You really think the only reason Skins fans on this thread are bothered by the article is because there was no positive mentions of the McGlynn, Moore and Geather signings?...Because if so, you....

Oh, wait. You're trying to troll people with the patented "Fan Speak" hyperbole. Nevermind.

Well that's pretty damning evidence.  How can you say you're not affiliated with gangs if they have pictures of you hanging out with them...  

I'm guessing his crime doesn't involve gangs or he wouldn't be in the NFL.  That's still a bit much.  I hope he stays out of trouble because he's a beast on the field.

Simple when you grow up in the inner city like LA for example where neighborhoods become crip or blood territory and family members are born in to the gang. You're bound to be friends with a LOT of gang bangers, does that mean you're an active gang banger? heck no. but does it mean that a lot of your friends are probably active gang bangers? yes.

If Desean didn't make it to the NFL his friends would still be his friends, so he's staying loyal to them starting a record label trying to get them to go legit through music. 

Desean is a good guy but he's misunderstood because he doesn't walk talk and sound like say a "Bryant Gumbel" lol

You know what this reminds me of?

Does anyone else remember when Bob jackass Costas did that little monologue about Philly the year of the "dream team"?

Or the halftime hatchet job against the Cowboys last year where he actually defended The Cleveland Indians and Braves b/c those names "came from a place of respect and reverance." Yeah, ok, sure it does Baseball Bob....am I blind or do both those teams still use cartoon mascots 10,000 times more offensive than the Redskins name or logo?

The bread on that **** sandwich was two halves that saw Chris Collinsworth come a couple guys short of knob slobbering the entire ******* Dallas Cowboys roster while never once mentioning anything positive about the Redskins.

Do you really think that "at best"--only used in the title, not in the article--was meant as "the best way I can describe this signing is that it's risky"?...Because if so, you're waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay off.

Beyond question that is what it meant. "In the best case scenario it will turn out to be risky" does not make any sense within the confines of the English language. 

Didn't read the artical because I wont give this kind of story the satisfaction. But they should never be so hard on the Skins for signing Rob Jackson like that after all we did draft him. :)

I can understand the skepticism of this signing working out.

DJax is high maintenance.

Jay Gruden is a rookie head coach.

There isn't a ton of veteran leadership on this team of the winning variety.

More splashy moves under Snyder have failed than have worked out.

DJax has a ton of talent and this can work out. Or, this can be just another in the long line of splashy signings under Snyder that doesn't work out.

Only time will tell.

But, I don't hate the Redskins signing DJax and seeing if that can help RGIII.

Sources: DeSean Jackson Was A Problem For Kelly, Eagles In Locker Room

But what a number of sources close to and around the team, including current and former players, as well as additional sources within the Eagles revealed was that Jackson was not very well liked by his teammates, was blatantly insubordinate, with temper tantrums cussing out Kelly several times in front of the team, pushed the NFL rookie coach the way “a child would test boundaries,” and was more concerned with his rap label than he was about winning football games.

“The fact is, [Jackson] was a ‘me-guy’ with an attitude problem and [Maclin] is the complete opposite, a team guy, a great character guy you go to war with,” said one source. “Funny how [Jackson] has this anti-bully thing and he thought he could push [Kelly] around; he found out otherwise. His being cut had nothing to do with the gang stuff. The team knew it. Everyone knew he had ‘ties.’ Those were his guys. That’s okay. What put him out was his selfishness.

Kelly tried to reach [Jackson] plenty of times and [Jackson] tuned him out.

http://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/2014/04/04/sources-desean-jackson-was-a-problem-for-kelly-eagles-in-locker-room/

Archived