Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN: Jackson signing risky at best

MattFancy

Another player speaking out on behalf of Jackson:

Appearing Monday night on NFL Network's "NFL Total Access," safety Malcolm Jenkins acknowledged the Eagles' shaky secondary might have trouble containing the explosive duo of Jackson and Pierre Garcon.

"Once he stayed in the division," Jenkins said, "that's when a little bit of concern comes in."

Playing for the Saints last season, Jenkins explained that Jackson was dangerous enough to dictate New Orleans' coverages in the January playoff matchup. The new Eagles safety admits Jackson could be more imposing with a chip on his shoulder this coming season.

LeSean McCoy and Jenkins aren't the only ones suddenly showing respect for Jackson.

After striking a deal with the Vikings on Monday, former Eagles safety Kurt Coleman told SiriusXM NFL Radio that he "appreciated" Jackson as a great player and "a good guy in the locker room."

"He was one of those guys you wanted to have play every single Sunday because of the explosiveness, the X-factor that he brought," Coleman added. "I think Philadelphia is going to miss him."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000341496/article/malcolm-jenkins-desean-jackson-in-nfc-east-a-concern

There's a video at the link as well. I didn't know that the Eagles' rushing game averaged 5.5 ypc when DeSean Jackson was on the field, but only 3.0 ypc when Jackson was not on the field.

Another player speaking out on behalf of Jackson:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000341496/article/malcolm-jenkins-desean-jackson-in-nfc-east-a-concern

There's a video at the link as well. I didn't know that the Eagles' rushing game averaged 5.5 ypc when DeSean Jackson was on the field, but only 3.0 ypc when Jackson was not on the field.

Makes total sense - Jackson would dictate that the safeties would have to help over the top, which means more room for Morris.  I'm thinking The Butler may be a good pick up in fantasy this year.

Also, it's becoming more and more clear to me that Jip Kelly - pun intended - told the players they were not allowed to speak out or that there would be repercussions if they did so.  He's treating grown men like they are his adoring college players; that will get old very quickly.  I would be on the lookout for some locker room dissension this coming season - especially when they hit a rough skid.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/two-former-eagles-teammates-defend-desean-jackson-162300613.html

i think this is related to the articles above. 

“I’ve never seen that,” McCoy said. “I’ve never seen the two of them get into it. Coach Kelly, the good thing I will say about him, is his understanding. If you have an issue or problem he seems to always work it out.”

“I think Philadelphia is going to miss him big time,” Coleman said on Sirius XM Radio, via PhillyMag.com. “I find it troubling to hear some of the stories — and I don’t know who is really putting them out there. I thought DeSean was a good guy in the locker room. He was someone I could talk to and could relate to. 

Makes total sense - Jackson would dictate that the safeties would have to help over the top, which means more room for Morris. I'm thinking The Butler may be a good pick up in fantasy this year.

Also, it's becoming more and more clear to me that Jip Kelly - pun intended - told the players they were not allowed to speak out or that there would be repercussions if they did so. He's treating grown men like they are his adoring college players; that will get old very quickly. I would be on the lookout for some locker room dissension this coming season - especially when they hit a rough skid.

This is my thinking too...all the evidence seems to blatantly point out that Kelley is the Sheriff in town, the FO wanted to back his position & released DJax, then they made it clear (internally) that speaking in favor of him, or questioning the release publicly would be seen as insubordination.

Heck. ..they probably didn't need to say anything. The act alone probably makes fringe players nervous: "they just cut an all-pro who makes $10mil per, whaddya think they'll do to me?"

I could see Andre Roberts being upset but he got 4 mil guaranteed that imo no other team in the league was going to offer him.

What this does do is give him the option of being a great number 3 provided he can beat out santana moss leonard hankerson aldrick robinson which for the money we are paying I hope he does win the number 3 job.

As long as Roberts shows up to OTAs/TC ambulatory he will beat those guys out for the #3.  

Yeah, we should be nervous...as we all know, only the worst of the worst in the NFL go to clubs in the offseason.

Now now, don't you know that NFL players aren't allowed to have a life outside of the game???  Its football 24/7/365 and everything else be damned!!!

Now now, don't you know that NFL players aren't allowed to have a life outside of the game???  Its football 24/7/365 and everything else be damned!!!

Yep. Show up to all voluntary workouts, take no vacations with new teams (though a lot of jobs will allow you time off as long as you let them know well ahead of time and they sign off on it) think nothing but football football football. Don't go out, don't talk, don't think about talking, and constantly listen, and give a damn what morons in the media/social media world think.

Have rabbit ears so damn big they can pick up a rock hitting the ground on Mars.

Yeah, we should be nervous...as we all know, only the worst of the worst in the NFL go to clubs in the offseason.

I just feel like with all of the negative attention Desean is receiving. I would have hoped to have seen a pic of him going to bible study with RG3 and Darrell Green. or a photo of him working with troubled gang members in PG county. Anything but night club flyers!!

Just for the record. Supporter of every aspect of this signing and feel risk only on the POTENTIAL fall out on contract renegotiation..

I got clobbered for starting a pre-draft/post FA lull thread for some toots and giggles. Yes, I was bored. Obviously enough to envision the entire season and post season and subsequent theoretical hold out.

Just wanted to clear air as I got locked out. Man, I like the 'tude. I really thought the thread had the POTENTIAL to be legit, kinda a tweener.

Just for the record. Supporter of every aspect of this signing and feel risk only on the POTENTIAL fall out on contract renegotiation..

I got clobbered for starting a pre-draft/post FA lull thread for some toots and giggles. Yes, I was bored. Obviously enough to envision the entire season and post season and subsequent theoretical hold out.

Just wanted to clear air as I got locked out. Man, I like the 'tude. I really thought the thread had the POTENTIAL to be legit, kinda a tweener.

I can see why that thread got locked, but good luck starting a new thread on this board ever. You'll have the board police and administrative Gestapo on you in a matter of seconds. That's why this is the most stale forum on the internet. Just look at the front page. I check here every day, same old stale threads... every day.

I can see why that thread got locked, but good luck starting a new thread on this board ever. You'll have the board police and administrative Gestapo on you in a matter of seconds. That's why this is the most stale forum on the internet. Just look at the front page. I check here every day, same old stale threads... every day.

Try joining Twitter... worse thing to ever happen to this site ;)

I usually find that those who complain the most about there not being many good threads are the ones who rarely, if ever, start any.

And I chalk up the lack of new threads every day to the possibility that--gasp--the Redskins aren't doing anything controversial (no, signing Jackson isn't controversial, it's just newsworthy for about a week). All Jackson talk can fit into the few threads about him that already exist on the site. All free agency talk is being held on the FA thread. All draft talk is being held on the Draft thread. All RG3 talk is being held on the RG3 thread. We no longer have 12 different threads all being slight variations on the same topic ("Will Griffin make the Pro Bowl", "Griffin will return to form in 2014", "Hey, who here thinks Griffin will rebound next season?"). We don't have too much to complain about right now. Compare that to the Cowboys, where at CZ.com they actually created a Rant Zone forum for all the complaining lol...head over there if you're wanting 17 new threads a day.

I can understand Roberts' frustration, he thought he had the #2 locked down and then this happens, but this is good for him, not bad.

When DJax, Garcon, Reed, and Roberts are all on the field together, someone is getting open.  Being the shifty slot guy is a good deal, and he can Wes Welker it up all year while people play the outside.

The other thing is that Washington may only keep Jackson 2 years.  Roberts has a much lower price tag.  2 years from now if Jackson leaves, Roberts gets an automatic bump in targets, and keeps that for likely 2 years.

I prefer knowledgeable posters posting in the same threads day after day than 40 threads on some minor thing that have 2 posts each.

If this forum were like other forums, Jackson having gone on vacation for a few days would have resulted in literally a full page of threads on the topic, most of them totally superfluous.  The mods here want this board to be the best football board around, and you can't do that if you've got 200 new threads every day, with about 190 of violating the "not all thoughts are threads" rule.

It's the offseason. :)

There isn't a whole lot to bring up new right now. Free agency seems to be pretty much over. The draft is still three weeks away. Training camp is three and a half months away.

Don't expect much newness this time of year.

I usually find that those who complain the most about there not being many good threads are the ones who rarely, if ever, start any.

I've started a few threads in the past but not many. I think most people like me - long time lurkers, seldom posters- are probably afraid of the backlash they'll receive if they start a thread not deemed worthy. I've seen threads started and the OP get banned the next day because he didn't come back soon enough to edit his thread title. Um...No thanks. I'll just lurk.

I hear what you're saying about it being a dead time. Doesn't stop espn from having something to talk about every single day for an hour, offseason or not.

And most people probably don't want to dive into a 20 page thread that was started two months ago to ask a question or make a point that might not be 100% on topic to the thread they haven't had the endurance to keep up with.

The Diesel writes:

I've started a few threads in the past but not many. I think most people like me - long time lurkers, seldom posters- are probably afraid of the backlash they'll receive if they start a thread not deemed worthy. I've seen threads started and the OP get banned the next day because he didn't come back soon enough to edit his thread title. Um...No thanks. I'll just lurk.

There is an easy way to prevent "getting banned" for poorly laid-out thread titles......

Wanna know what it is? It's called.... "Read the Rules!". :)

There is a link for them right at the top of the board. Just follow the instructions for title set-up, and you'll never have a problem with the mods on it. Simple.

I hear what you're saying about it being a dead time. Doesn't stop espn from having something to talk about every single day for an hour, offseason or not.

Yes, they do have stuff to talk about in the offseason. Sometimes they drone on even when they don't have a lot to talk about. :)

However, they don't create a new series every day to talk about a new angle in an old football topic on ESPN. They use shows already around like "NFL Live" and "NFL 32".

Same principle here in the offseason. We don't need to start 25 different RG3 or DeSean Jackson threads when the ones we have will do.

Not all thoughts need to be their own thread. :)

What people need to remember is that with 3 legitimate WRs on this team instead of 1, the offense is going to be able to get more creative in how you put the ball in the WR's hands.  Jackson is a threat not just in the traditional WR role but really any time you put the ball in his hands, weather it be a screen pass, a WR reverse etc etc.....

Also, Jackson is going to demand the extra attention over the top, and defenses will still have to also game plan for Garcon, that will leave Roberts often one on one with the lesser caliber DB's on opposing defenses.

In the past this team always had the problem of elevating lesser players into prime time roles, but now we have what seems like it could be a Solid 1-2-3 punch at WR, not to mention Jordan Reed who kind of feels like having a 4th WR out there, and the Morris fueled running game. 

I have a feeling once Roberts gets to training camp and sees what having Jackson take the top off a defense means for the rest of the passing game, he will get pretty happy, pretty fast.

Teams like the 49ers and Seattle are winning with conservative offenses that move the ball methodically and once in awhile make the big plays, but the bread and butter is their defense.  The 'Skins look like they are going a different route, trying to put together a dynamic offense that can challenge those defense and attack any weak spots.  Not saying this offense will be there yet in 2014, but folks should remember that not every championship team is built the same way.  Especially in today's NFL, you can win it all in several different ways.

Diesel- think about it this way- given the thousands of members on this board (it's a big one)- if every member posted every thought as a new thread, it would be an absolute cluster****.

Very few threads have been closed that couldn't have gone in an existing thread.

Diesel- think about it this way- given the thousands of members on this board (it's a big one)- if every member posted every thought as a new thread, it would be an absolute cluster****.

Very few threads have been closed that couldn't have gone in an existing thread.

Heck, I remember when it WAS an absolute cluster****.  That *used* to be my complaint about this place - that it was just overrun...a mess.  Now that they've cleaned that up I will complain about how rigid it is here.  I think that's just my nature.  :)

In all seriousness I think I looked at the rules one time and basically said, Ok no new threads for me.  If I remember correctly it was verrry long...and detailed....with lots of words.  

The point I made about the board being kind of stale like this - just bumping month old threads to have a conversation about something - was absolutely made in a serious vein though.  I'm on a few sports boards and for the most part things keep moving with interesting discussion throughout the offseason on those.  I know there's a balance to be found.  Still I check this board daily and I'm just not interested in diving back into a Cousins wants to be traded, Orakpo's overrated, or any of the other 2-90 month old threads populating the board.  

In the end that's my problem so I'll live with it.  Sorry for taking this thread so far off-topic with my complaining.

Archived