Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN: Jackson signing risky at best

MattFancy

I think Desean has been an actual A signing.  And I agree and have gone back on many of my previous thoughts about a few of our other signings this year. 

His contract is very manageable for being at the absolute worst a top 10/12 WR in a passing league.  And I know people don't want to hear it, but like how I project future possibilities with everything else, I take into account this being an A grade signing even if he demands more money next year, because honestly, he would deserve it given how much of an impact he's made and how cheap we got him compared to what he probably would have earned in a more "normal" FA situation.  The team would still be in the power position since we have the rights to him anyway.  Maybe he won't do that, but I would not be surprised of course.  We can currently thank the Eagles trashing of him, most likely to keep him out of the division because they knew he'd want to sign for an NFC east team first and foremost.  Didn't work I guess. 

I don't see how he's anything but an A signing, considering that he's had signature plays in pretty much every single one of our wins or close losses.  His stats are ridiculous when you consider what our QB situation has been this year so far.  He is definitely a hot-head when it comes to on the field extra curriculars, but I'm sure that he would be reigned in by the HC if he ever took it too far, because Desean knows he's a media darling and wouldn't want to hurt that reputation if he really thought about it.  He might be the biggest name WR in the league, other than Calvin Johnson or Larry Fitzgerald, but I dunno, there are a lot of people that seem to know who Desean Jackson is, people that don't even watch football I mean.  

People saying that he's neutralized Garcon are half right but half wrong too.  Yes, he has mitigated Garcon's productivity this year, but that's because when push comes to shove Jackson is the more lethal WR getting open and I'm sure our coaching staff realizes this.  Because of, well, however you want to debate it, we need to get the ball out very fast as an offense and I'm sure when these guys are lined up opposite field, it's going to rule out Garcon on many plays.  If we had a better QB and/or protection situation thus far where our O was more wide open, I'm sure the ball would be getting distributed more than it is now, with everyone's stats inflating. Not that Desean's would have gone down, his would inflate too, just not as much as everyone else's. 

Archived