Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN: Jackson signing risky at best

MattFancy

NFL Network (I know, right?) said that Garcon and Jackson are one of the 5 best tandems.  I liked hearing that, and I happen to agree.  Add in Roberts, Reed (if he can stay healthy), the rookie, plus Morris, the rookie, and maybe Helu and we have a pretty potent group of offensive guys.  I only hope that we upgraded the OL to keep Robert upright and to create holes for the RBs.

Call me too optimistic, but yes, yes I am.

Interesting that was your focal point in this video. HTTR

There are a few in there that Foles under threw Jackson on (which I'm sure is easy to do throwing to that speed) but could have been bigger plays. The deep one against the Giants that was nearly intercepted is one that pops out as well as the Green Bay throw which should have been intercepted but ended up being a TD anyway.

This gets me excited

He doesn't run, its like he flies, legs are so fluid

I think it's his acceleration that kills. You see him running with a DB and then suddenly 2 seconds later he is peeling away from him. But yeah I agree, he is a very fluid runner.

• 1 month later...

lol

Haven't heard a peep about Jackson being "risky" in at least a month.

Ridiculous that we just absolutely lucked into a division rival's top-15 WR, and he's got a massive chip on his shoulder.

You don't hear any Giants, Cowboys, or even Eagles fans really worrying about it much now that the news has died down. It's like they completely forget how nasty Griffin's deep ball in college was.

Ironic that this thread pops up again the day after the other Jackson was banned again. Risky business indeed.

I don't know anything about this other Jackson you are referring to...

I just hadn't been here in a while...

...I will tell you the one legitimate complaint fans had about D-Jax, and it's not about his attitude. Too many times in big games he just disappeared. This shouldn't happen on a team with a top RB, solid TE's, and a legit receiver on the other side. But it did happen...

Yeah, this was one of those things I used to tell people about Jackson that kept him from being one of the best.  My only explanation for it was that he was the prime receiving threat.  I think teams were faced with either/or.  Either you make McCoy the focus of your defensive plan, or you make it Jackson.  If Jackson's covered, then you had other guys to pass the ball too.  Teams decide to stop Jackson, but let the other team beat them in another way.  Other than that, I'd say maybe it's that he doesn't like when DBs are physical with him (i.e. Randy Moss).

I take this and other criticisms of Desean seriously, but I know what it has felt like to watch him play against the division....

Which is exactly why I'm excited to have him here.  It was just like watching Hatcher last season.  After the first game I was left speechless, as the guy destroyed our OL and I had to figure out who he was because I was dreading him when the second game came around.  

I think the Skins made a list of "players that whooped us" and went out to get those guys.  If nothing else, at least it's addition by subtraction (from our opponent's teams).  Glad Jackson's here and we really don't have to worry about someone like that now.

In reading the article, Chadiha's lack of objectivity is obvious.  Game planning for Jackson and Garcon will have a lot of DCs burning the midnight oil.

That's what I'm most excited about.  If they want to double Jackson, or game plan around him, Alfred is dominant enough in the run game that it will destroy them, or Reed can be a 10-12 reception guy, or Garcon can catch them underneath and turn it into 20 yards.  There are just too many ways to beat opponents now for them to just decide to clamp down on one guy, IMO.

...You don't hear any Giants, Cowboys, or even Eagles fans really worrying about it much now that the news has died down....

I'd assume Giants and Cowboys fans aren't talking about it because nothing's really changed for them.  They still face Jackson twice a year.  As for Eagles fans, they are probably trying to figure out how their offense is going to work without him, and justify why he wasn't necessary and why Kelly's offense will be great, even without one of its 2 best players.  

Since this is a Redskins thread, I'll just keep those thoughts to myself.   ;)

• 4 months later...

Nice bump! I'm almost thinking we're not getting enough credit for this move because it was kind risky and it's paid off. But I will add, it wasn't as risky as this jackass made it out to be.

Im loving the guy. I'm still kind of waiting for the other shoe to drop, but hell so far so good.

Yeah reading all the comments about how Roberts is pissed as he thought he would be the #2 is funny.  Obviously this turned out to be a great move but I"m not ready to send roses to Bruce just yet.  Let's be honest, DJax fell into his lap and he had a huge advantage because he was set to sign with an NFC East team.  Now let's review the big signings that Bruce decided on after evaluating tape and many many meetings:

Lauvao:  Right after it was announced Browns fans were saying he was one of their worst OL and were shocked that he got this type of deal.  You know it's bad when a Browns fan is laughing at you

Roberts:  After getting us all excited in preseason he has had more drops than impact plays

Jason Hatcher:  Really liked this signing at the time, we needed an inside pass rush desperately.  After Game 2 it appeared as if finally we had not signed a DL who will lay down after getting paid.  Game 2 was 2 months ago.  He may be second to JJ Watt in QB pressures but no Redskins fan will say that he has had an impact in the last 7 games.  

Various players signed for their special teams ability.  How's that working out so far besides the punter? 

Archived