Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN: Jackson signing risky at best

MattFancy

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10714660/desean-jackson-signing-enormously-risk-dysfunctional-washington-redskins

Forget for one minute all the recent questions about DeSean Jackson's life off the field, the most scandalous of which have yet to be substantiated. Let's also not spend much time debating the arrogance that led Philadelphia Eagles head coach Chip Kelly to believe his offense didn't need its best wide receiver anymore. The most interesting aspect of Jackson's new three-year deal with the Washington Redskins has little to do with those things. Instead, it has everything to do with a franchise that has been largely dysfunctional ever since Daniel Snyder purchased it in 1999.

Anybody who thinks Jackson's arrival in Washington is destined to be a roaring success is in need of a serious reality check. He's a highly emotional player with a history of losing his focus and driving coaches crazy with his mood swings. Jackson became a star in the NFL because his first head coach -- Andy Reid, now with the Kansas City Chiefs -- knew how to relate to one of the most explosive talents in the league today. Jackson also became expendable in Philadelphia, after his best statistical season, because Kelly doesn't have much interest in going out of his way to do the same.

The question the Redskins have to answer today is whether they have the requisite leadership to get the best out of Jackson. It says here that they most certainly don't. Their new head coach, former Cincinnati Bengals offensive coordinator Jay Gruden, hasn't even met his entire team yet. Their star quarterback, Robert Griffin III, went from being a media darling to an alleged diva in about the same time it takes him to cover 40 yards. Finally, there's Snyder, a man who runs through coaches the way George Clooney runs through girlfriends, and rarely hits it big when signing a star free agent.

The reality is that Jackson should've taken more time to investigate his options. He should've been more honest with himself about what went wrong in Philadelphia and how his own actions factored into it. If anything, Jackson should've paid attention to how little interest Reid displayed in wooing him to Kansas City. The Chiefs may not have had enough money to compete with Washington -- or the other eight teams that reportedly displayed interest in signing Jackson -- but it says plenty about Jackson's maturity that Reid didn't even get into the game.

If Jackson wanted money, he certainly got it. If he wanted to stay in the NFC East, then that wish came true as well. But if Jackson coveted stability, a chance to win and a place where he could make the most of his vast potential, then it's difficult to see the logic in his decision. That's because he's just joined an organization that has been a long-running joke in the league for a good reason. And as Jackson is about to find out, that's not about to change with his arrival.

What in the world? I've seen mostly positive reviews of the Skins signing Jackson. This guy is going out of his way to bash the organization inside and out. Just wow!

Because its sensationalism. 

But don't worry too much, as Seahawks fans pointed out in the comments, this clown was talking up the Broncos as a team of destiny all year and that they would crush the Seahawks in the SB. He said they shouldn't draft Russell Wilson and that he wouldn't amount to anything. He said Pete Carroll would be a terrible HC in the NFL.

Him being against this move probably tells us its going to work out rather well.

There is always a lousy attention seeking journalist who is a bitter eagles fan. His article has no substance just pure  hatred.

Reality check said the guy who once said that Russell Wilson will never be elite and Carroll will regret taking the HC job in Seattle.

I guess my idea of "success" is different than the author's.  DJax has been to three pro-bowls in six years, yet he's been unhappy with money at the end of almost every season.  He's a lot to deal with, but its not like he doesn't enjoy playing football and making big plays.  It would be hard to argue that his time in Philadelphia, including the Chip Kelly year, wasn't successful.

If "success" is being happy with what he has been given, then its a sure thing he won't be a success.  He's happy now because he has $15M coming his way.  He'll be unhappy later when he see's that being released has caused his weekly paychecks to drop precipitously.  I just view that as part of the cost of signing him.

Can I just ask why he's labeled as a gangster?  Is it based solely on the fact that he flashed a hand signal during games or are there more situations off the field?

I know he got arrested once, what was that for?

Can I just ask why he's labeled as a gangster?  Is it based solely on the fact that he flashed a hand signal during games or are there more situations off the field?

I know he got arrested once, what was that for?

There's pictures of him on his Instagram with reported gang members.

There's pictures of him on his Instagram with reported gang members.

Well that's pretty damning evidence.  How can you say you're not affiliated with gangs if they have pictures of you hanging out with them...  

I'm guessing his crime doesn't involve gangs or he wouldn't be in the NFL.  That's still a bit much.  I hope he stays out of trouble because he's a beast on the field.

Well that's pretty damning evidence.  How can you say you're not affiliated with gangs if they have pictures of you hanging out with them...  

I'm guessing his crime doesn't involve gangs or he wouldn't be in the NFL.  That's still a bit much.  I hope he stays out of trouble because he's a beast on the field.

Well the guy is part of his record label. So whether its anything gang related or if the guy really is a gang member, who knows?

How exactly is that damning? He can know people who are tied to gang activities, but that in no way means he is affiliated with gangs. And what crime has Jackson commited? I've been lead to believe he has never been arrested, except once for pot.

How exactly is that damning? He can know people who are tied to gang activities, but that in no way means he is affiliated with gangs. And what crime has Jackson commited? I've been lead to believe he has never been arrested, except once for pot.

My parents always taught me to never hang around people I don't want to be affiliated with.  It was practically the same thing.  He didn't just group up with a stranger and take a picture. I'm not too concerned TBH though.  Don't think I'm one of those people that are going to quit their job over it.  I didn't know what the crime was for.  I assumed it wasn't for anything gang related and from your post I'm right. 

I've said this once before and it's the reason I would welcome Incognito on this team in a heartbeat right now.  Certain guys make mistakes and get away with them for a long time until it eventually comes to light for the entire world to see.  Then they have a choice to make: "Am I going to let everyone believe that this is the kind of person I am?  Or am I going to try to prove them wrong?"

Despite DJax's perceived arrogance and entitlement, I think we are getting a player who is a little older, wiser, and much more aware of the consequences of his actions than when he was in Philly.  When he comes out and says he's been humbled by this stuation, I believe it.  Choosing a team away from his hometown and one which forces him to change his jersey number (which has been a big part of his branding up to this point) shows that he might not be the exact guy everyone is painting him out to be.

And let's face it, Gruden's attitude is much more like Andy Reid's than Chip Kelly or Shanny-- so we've got that going for us.

Oh Jesus.

My best friend growing up is a band manager.  It doesn't make me affiliated with a band manager.  I have friends who are engineers; it doesn't make me affiliated with engineers.

Ok, so if Jackson had paid more attention to how Reid supposedly didn't want him, what should/could he have done about it? Maybe, uh, SIGN WITH A TEAM/COACH THAT DOES WANT HIM. If you listen to his press conference, a big part of why D Jax came here was how the players, coaches and fans embraced him. That will be the best thing for his attitude and work ethic. I'm not saying this will work out perfect, but he is where he wants to be and he knows he is wanted here. That's a good situation for a player like him to be in. 

I have friends who are engineers; it doesn't make me affiliated with engineers.

You should be so lucky!

All this is much ado about nothing.  Yes, he's a PITA, and primary reasons he was cut were money & coaches didn't want to put up with him anymore.  He'll probably be highly motivated, at least for the first year, in Washington.  There is risk to a brand new coaching staff and young QB as they try and assert their leadership, but most teams have at least 1-2 players of Jackson's ilk.  Good coaches can deal with it, at least in the short term.  Kelly obviously thinks the contribution Jackson gave was not worth the management of his personality, and feels he can replace Jackson's numbers on the field.  I'm certainly not sold.

I've said this once before and it's the reason I would welcome Incognito on this team in a heartbeat right now.  Certain guys make mistakes and get away with them for a long time until it eventually comes to light for the entire world to see.  Then they have a choice to make: "Am I going to let everyone believe that this is the kind of person I am?  Or am I going to try to prove them wrong?"

Despite DJax's perceived arrogance and entitlement, I think we are getting a player who is a little older, wiser, and much more aware of the consequences of his actions than when he was in Philly.  When he comes out and says he's been humbled by this stuation, I believe it.  Choosing a team away from his hometown and one which forces him to change his jersey number (which has been a big part of his branding up to this point) shows that he might not be the exact guy everyone is painting him out to be.

And let's face it, Gruden's attitude is much more like Andy Reid's than Chip Kelly or Shanny-- so we've got that going for us.

I hear ya...and I thought for a second about incognito. However, without any evidence to prove it, he has mental illness. I don't think it would be a good idea to bring him in this soon. Mybe if he stayed in shape for a year and counseling. Unfortunately, he's a little older, so that scenario not really ideal either.

No to Icognito right now. We have enough potential locker room disasters, don't need to push envelope. Plus, we've got a stockpile of guards that need to show up this year. We shall see.

Archived