Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN: Jackson signing risky at best

MattFancy

JeffC could have written this:

"The Redskins' big name free agent signings have burned them a lot in the past.  Therefore, this recent DJ signing has some questions based on that past history."

Yeah.  We know that already.  We don't need 2,500 words to tell us.  Give us something new.

I hear ya...and I thought for a second about incognito. However, without any evidence to prove it, he has mental illness. I don't think it would be a good idea to bring him in this soon. Mybe if he stayed in shape for a year and counseling. Unfortunately, he's a little older, so that scenario not really ideal either.

No to Icognito right now. We have enough potential locker room disasters, don't need to push envelope. Plus, we've got a stockpile of guards that need to show up this year. We shall see.

LOL, I would say there is probably a lot of evidence out there that confirms he's mentally ill.  But then again, think about how many NFL players suffer from mental illness who have never been to treatment.  Look at Brandon Marshall and how far he has come not only in his own maturity, but as a leading voice for mental health awareness.

I think DJax definitely has a few bats in the belfry, one too many toys in the attic, a couple of neurons short of a synapse-- however, I feel that an experience like this will definitely give him a new outlook/motivation-- even if it's in the short term.

Oh Jesus.

My best friend growing up is a band manager.  It doesn't make me affiliated with a band manager.  I have friends who are engineers; it doesn't make me affiliated with engineers.

That's obviously a little bit different than gangsters isn't it?  

Why is it that if someone in your car has 2 pounds of cocaine on them, you get arrested as well even though you didn't know they had it?

affiliate-to bring into close association or connection: The research center is affiliated with the university.

To be affiliated doesn't mean that he's popin caps in pigs.  It means he has a connection.  Which is why teams were a little nervous to sign him.  However, I'm glad we signed him because a connection doesn't mean he's a thug.  It just means he could have grown up around it or like someone said, known a business partner getting involved in something like that.

Like I said 100 times, I'm all for this signing and don't expect any problems.  I just asked a simple question about how affiliated he was with gang members.  

For a misdeamonor possession charge. Which was rectified if i do believe

Oh well TBH I really don't know why teams were scared to sign him.  It doesn't seem like he's a certified crip or anything.  

Oh Jesus.

My best friend growing up is a band manager.  It doesn't make me affiliated with a band manager.  I have friends who are engineers; it doesn't make me affiliated with engineers.

How do we know for sure that you are not affiliated with the engineering lifestyle

My problem isn't that he's a hater, those guys are a dime a dozen.  My problem is that ESPN is running his article as the flagship article on the Jackson situation.

I mean, the same as Haynesworth?  Really?  It's an absolute joke.  Our team's cap commitments are basically for 2 years, which interestingly enough gets us through RGIII's rookie deal, meaning we can cut him in year 3 to save 8M.

You know who's deal wasn't even remotely close to that in terms of flexibility?  Haynesworth.  If not for the uncapped year that contract would have haunted us to this day.  It sort of does still.  Jackson won't haunt us beyond two years from now, and that's good.

Hahaha this line killed me " Jackson became a star because Reid knew how to relate to one of the most explosive talents in the league today"

Then he says that Jackson was released after his best season because " Kelly didn't wanna go out of his way to do the same" really? What a clown.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10714660/desean-jackson-signing-enormously-risk-dysfunctional-washington-redskins

What in the world? I've seen mostly positive reviews of the Skins signing Jackson. This guy is going out of his way to bash the organization inside and out. Just wow!

I reread this article a couple of times--trying to see if I just misread it. I didn't. Chadia's whole point is: He shouldn't have signed with the Redskins because they suck and will always suck.

Clearly an emotional based article.

Hahaha this line killed me " Jackson became a star because Reid knew how to relate to one of the most explosive talents in the league today"

Then he says that Jackson was released after his best season because " Kelly didn't wanna go out of his way to do the same" really? What a clown.

That doesn't make any sense at all. So is he bashing Kelly, praising Reid? Both? I don't get it.

ESPN needs eyes to survive. 24 hour news cycle, need to fill most of it with junk like this.

Skins in the national media are damned if they do, damned if they don't.

We sign him and he's a headcase coming to a dysfunctional circus. We don't and we're so toxic we can't even get guys with red flags to play here. Same way the Patriots get ABSOLUTELY NO **** for Aaron Hernandez, the Skins get destroyed for just being.

There is absolutely no down side or risk in signing Jackson for less than market value and without having to give up any picks...they're a 3-13 team, starting a new regime, two decades removed from competing for a Super Bowl coming off by far the most bizarre/embarrassing season I can remember. There is no downside, we are in the downside. This only helps.

Icognito. Haha. Didn't Trent say he'd knock him out if he was on our team? Also, DJax runs an anti bully campaign, I doubt signing one would help.

Icognito should be an eagle.

Nah Trent said he would knock him (or anyone else) that was bullying him-- pretty much what every other player with a sack has said.

DJax threw up crip signs, talked ****, and even shoved DeAngelo last year... Now they are best buds it seems.  Shady McCoy said he could never respect Riley Cooper again-- the Eagles' locked him up anyway.  Bottom line: Doesn't really matter if people are getting along, front offices sign whoever they want and tell players to deal with it.

I'm not sure you could grow up in the neighborhood where DJax was raised and NOT have some friends who were in with gangs.

I have been looking and looking for the fire underneath this "gang affiliations" smoke, and I have come up with bupkus.  The police sure aren't backing any of it up.   There may be more to this story that we haven't heard, but so far it looks like nothing but character assassination.  

Which is odd, because DJax is a pain in the azz in the locker room, no doubt.  That's well documented.  Why bother to smear him as a criminal too, unless you are trying to get the Eagle fanbase scared of him, and not notice that you just gave away a pro bowl talent for nothing?

I'm not sure you could grow up in the neighborhood where DJax was raised and NOT have some friends who were in with gangs.

I have been looking and looking for the fire underneath this "gang affiliations" smoke, and I have come up with bupkus.  The police sure aren't backing any of it up.   There may be more to this story that we haven't heard, but so far it looks like nothing but character assassination.  

Which is odd, because DJax is a pain in the azz in the locker room, no doubt.  That's well documented.  Why bother to smear him as a criminal too, unless you are trying to get the Eagle fanbase scared of him, and not notice that you just gave away a pro bowl talent for nothing?

This was exactly what I was trying to figure out. Having past connections doesn't mean he's got hit men on speed dial. It sounds like teams are blowing this up a bit because of what Hernandez did. This does throw some flags to check on but I seriously feel like it was a safe risk for us.

Archived