Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Foxsports: Source, Teammates Bullied Martin

Destino

He did have Bill Romanowski at one time. If they had twitter back in those days, I can just imagine some of the nonsense that idiot would say.

He also has Fred Davis. Every coach is going to eventually have a jackass on their team. (Aaron Hernandez goes above and beyond that characterization, I would say). The question is, do you let that jackass' jackassery impact the team at large.

Not a fan of Joe Philbin in all this either.  When confronted with evidence of hazing on Hard Knocks, his response was "I didn't watch the show."  So basically, either you're just ducking the question, which is telling in this case, or you're admitting that everybody in America knows things going on in your locker room that you don't know.

Not a fan of Joe Philbin in all this either.  When confronted with evidence of hazing on Hard Knocks, his response was "I didn't watch the show."  So basically, either you're just ducking the question, which is telling in this case, or you're admitting that everybody in America knows things going on in your locker room that you don't know.

As I said earlier, this is also going to bring the Chad Johnson issue back into the limelight as well. He (Philbin) is about to  get figuratively tossed into an incinerator. The best thing for him to do at this point would be to not feign ignorance on the issue. It'll only make matters worse.

maybe a good smack in the mouth at some point in incognitos life may have been a wake up call. 

You really don't think this jackass has taken a punch for his actions before? He's had teammates fight back against his jackassery since he was in college, it's done nothing to change him. He's the kind of guy that gets off on baiting people into attacking him, that's pretty much his whole MO on and off the field.

Again, the only thing that might have any effect is being beaten within an inch of his life, which would put the guy he was extorting and mentally torturing in prison for finally snapping and doing something drastic about it.

Nobody wins in that scenario. Nobody.

Here's Richie going Neanderthal at a Ft. Lauderdale pool hall from several months ago, via TMS sports.  Audio NSFW. 

http://www.tmz.com/2013/11/04/richie-incognito-n-word-bar-rage-video/

Yeah, that's DEFINITELY a guy that would totally chill out if someone just decided "Man Up"  and pop him in the mouth.

That might work with a middle school bully.

Not a rich, privileged adult male in his thirties that acts like that in public.

The "punch the bully" old timey life lesson thing needs to stop.  There is just so much wrong with that thinking as it applies to this particular situation that it really makes you wonder if the people pushing it have thought about what they are saying (I'm being charitable).  Even if you ignore the fact that these are adults, at work, and that as adults we know that fighting is more likely to create problems than it is to solve any, it is still a questionable action plan.  

In story-land bullies will all wilt after a strong punch to the mouth,and go on to join you on adventures afterwards as a loyal and reliable friend.  In the real world sometimes bullies can fight.  Sometimes they enjoy violence and welcome a fight with the same happiness most of us would feel getting an unexpected, wonderfully brewed, cup of coffee in the morning.  If Martin chose to punch a grown man still referring to himself as "Richie" he might have gotten his butt kicked.  No feel good moment of right triumphing over wrong, no end to the abuse, and no adventures.  Then what?  What is caveman plan B?  Accept Richie as your warchief and do his bidding?  

The "punch the bully" old timey life lesson thing needs to stop.  There is just so much wrong with that thinking as it applies to this particular situation that it really makes you wonder if the people pushing it have thought about what they are saying (I'm being charitable).  Even if you ignore the fact that these are adults, at work, and that as adults we know that fighting is more likely to create problems than it is to solve any, it is still a questionable action plan.  

In story-land bullies will all wilt after a strong punch to the mouth,and go on to join you on adventures afterwards as a loyal and reliable friend.  In the real world sometimes bullies can fight.  Sometimes they enjoy violence and welcome a fight with the same happiness most of us would feel getting an unexpected, wonderfully brewed, cup of coffee in the morning.  If Martin chose to punch a grown man still referring to himself as "Richie" he might have gotten his butt kicked.  No feel good moment of right triumphing over wrong, no end to the abuse, and no adventures.  Then what?  What is caveman plan B?  Accept Richie as your warchief and do his bidding?  

I agree, 100%. It's clear (especially from hearing his dads posts) that the dude was simply brought up in a violent household, and learned how to treat people like **** from watching his father do it. When violence and anger/hatred is simply who you are, a punch in the face does little to permanently resolve the situation. Even if Martin beats his ass, because Incognito is just a POS through and through, he will likely try to get revenge in some way or another, leading to issue after issue.Like someone else said, people like that do not stop unless something drastic happens.

Everybody wants to be a hero. Despite what you see in television, sometimes it really is okay to take the high road.

The "punch the bully" old timey life lesson thing needs to stop. There is just so much wrong with that thinking as it applies to this particular situation that it really makes you wonder if the people pushing it have thought about what they are saying (I'm being charitable). Even if you ignore the fact that these are adults, at work, and that as adults we know that fighting is more likely to create problems than it is to solve any, it is still a questionable action plan.

In story-land bullies will all wilt after a strong punch to the mouth,and go on to join you on adventures afterwards as a loyal and reliable friend. In the real world sometimes bullies can fight.

I may be making a complete incorrect assumption in assuming you are referring to my post, but for the sake of clarity, I'll restate my position. Because I'm charitable.

Bullies like to prey on the weak. it's possible- if not fact- that, based on what we know of incognito, that he was doing just this. Bullies often keep bullying because the weak (mentally, physically, or both) people they prey on cannot or do not stand up to them. It's possible nobody stood up to incognito when he was growing up. So, he kept bullying.

Easy peasy.

Incognito was trying to make Martin into a warrior...and he gets suspended?  Imo in the NFL, this kind of behavior should be expected towards the younger players in order to prepare them for war on Sunday.

I've already said my piece about Incognito's specific brand of douchebaggery, but I suspect (and speculate) that it's the overall offensive nature and persistent invasion of Martin's privacy that highlights this case. 

Oh- And it's not war. 

You think a guy who threatens to **** in your mouth is afraid to fight you back?

He has serious psychological issues. I'd bet his father bullied him growing up. You are a product of your environment.

It could be as simple as " he's legit, ted bundy crazy ".

Maybe not.

Is it really hard to threaten to someone who is weaker than you?

This is nothing new. Psych 101.

Boot camp, war and jails are full of people who act tough. Nobody's ever seen the biggest, loudest guy on the block cry like a girl when somebody steps to him?

Really?

Again, maybe if this was a first or second year guy but it's Richie Goddamn Incognito.

He's been kicked of teams for fighting teammates since college, fighting meaning the other person stepped up to him. There's stories of him being forced by his team at Nebraska to apologize to people in front of them, and then attacking that same person mid apology.

He doesn't cower, it's what he lives for. Pissing people off, even when they're on his own team, to the point that they'll fight him. There's ample evidence that what you're advocating has NEVER EVER worked to get him to change his ways. I don't get why you think it will.

Evil,

My original point was more about he became to be the way he was.

I never said Martin should have popped him (although who knows- is there evidence anyone ever kicked his ass as an adult ?) Sounds like Martin did the right thing by letting someone know. it also sounds like Miami and his teammates failed him.

You think a guy who threatens to **** in your mouth is afraid to fight you back?

He has serious psychological issues. I'd bet his father bullied him growing up. You are a product of your environment.

Probably true, Whodie, but let's not rush to make Incognito the victim. I want to enjoy the moment of his demise for a bit longer.  ;)

Lots of internet tough guys around today. :)

Just so you know "Screw you guys and your money. Good luck protecting your QB without a left tackle" is also standing up for ones self. 

Not standing up is cowering in a corner and taking it. Martin's not taking it. The bully has been outed. Those covering for the bully are being taken to task.

Martin did the right thing.

It amazes me how ignorant some people can be. This isn't just about the Dolphins, Incognito and Martin. There are far reaching consequences that this case involves.

Bullying is a major issue in our society and it's a BIG problem amongst our youth. It's been well documented that bullying has led to many suicides and that includes children as young as ten.

So to think this isn't a big deal means you don't understand the psychological effects that bullying has on those being bullied no matter the age. Their are circumstances where the bully knows that they can continue to prey on the weak because they know they are defenseless and that makes them feel powerful. It's almost as if the intimidation is a drug to them.

I commend the Dolphins for suspending Incognito and letting everybody else know that it will not be tolerated. It's a good message to send to the youth because deny it all you want sports figures ARE role models.

In a politically correct world I don't see this as a PC issue, but an issue of lack of respect for another human being.

And shame on those whose original thought was that Martin had sexuality issues.

I guess I should address this since I originally said I thought Martin's sexuality might have been a factor.

Bringing up Martin's sexuality was not meant to suggest he had sexuality issues. It was meant to suggest other players might have had issues with him because of it. Football players still stay in the closet these days, and I can only assume there's a reason for that. For a player to be getting bullied to such an extent as to drive him out of the league ... yeah I thought it may have been because he was outed. 

It was not meant as a criticism of Martin.

Archived