Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Foxsports: Source, Teammates Bullied Martin

Destino

You have to feel for Martin.  With the way the world is now and how mental health is at the forefront, I'm happy that Martin removed himself from the situation before things could have gotten worse.  You just don't know what he's battling with on the inside and what exactly would be enought to make him snap. 

The people who can't shrug off a joke at their expense are always the ones that get picked on the most.  I learned this lesson from watching full house as a kid.  You gotta have thick skin in this world. 

You learned life lessons from watching Full House?  I'm sorry, but that did make me chuckle. Not saying your post lacks merit, that just literally made me laugh for some reason.

http://www.miamiherald.com/2013/11/03/3729152_incognito-dolphins-push-back-against.html

The latest twist:

Young Dolphins players are under pressure to dig deep into their pockets to pay for veterans’ social outings, a phenomenon that has put strain on their finances and locker room chemistry, according to a source with direct knowledge of the situation.

One young defensive player, whose privacy the Miami Herald is protecting, is on his way to going broke because he has been unable to say no to the older players, the source said.

“Everything tastes better when rookies pay for it,” veteran defensive end Jared Odrick wrote on Twitter this weekend. “Yes, the bill would make you sick.”

Younger players were handed the tab for a $30,000 team dinner, according to a source. The rookie minimum this year is around $400,000.

Will Davis, a rookie cornerback, tweeted Sunday: “The bill was definitely split. ... They would never put that on one man to pay for it all. Haha now that would be crazy...”

Every team has a rookie dinner outing, which is what Odrick was referring to in his tweet, but these are instances that extend far beyond a onetime deal.

The source characterized Dolphins veterans using younger players as ATMs to finance their nightlife whims. These older players have been caught up in the fast-paced Miami lifestyle without the burden of having to pay for it, the source continued.

Multiple sources plugged into the organization agree that it’s happening in Miami — but it’s not just a Dolphins issue. It happens league-wide, and organizations and the players’ union know all about it. They simply don’t care, another source said.

Jonathan Martin's camp has informed both the Miami Dolphins and the NFL Players Association that guard Richie Incognito sent Martin text messages and voicemails that are both threatening and racially charged in nature, according to multiple sources.

Martin's camp told the team they have those messages saved and plan to share them as part of the investigation into why the offensive tackle left the Dolphins this week.

As the revelation was made, the Dolphins announced they have suspended Incognito for conduct detrimental to the team.

"We believe in maintaining a culture of respect for one another, and as a result we believe this decision is in the best interest of the organization at this time," the team statement said.

This new information resulted in the team changing its tone from claiming it was not notified of any bullying to saying the club would ask the NFL for help in investigating a matter the organization takes "very seriously."

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/jonathan-martin-richie-incognito-racially-charged-texts-voicemails-miami-dolphins-nflpa-investigation

Good. Incognito is a big pile of poo.

Just out of curiosity, cuz I don't know.   What is the background on Incognito?  Feel like I keep up, but I have noticed several posters commenting about issues with Incognito, and I don't personally remember anything.

Serious question: does Martin really have a mental illness problem i.e. emotional sensitivity?  I thought it was reported that he went to his doctor and never came back to the team's facility. 

It sounds like professional football may not be best fit for martin, afterall.  And this Incognito sounds like your typical high school d-bag bully.  The type that normally picks on easy targets.

A thought crossed my mind....  Is it possible that Martin is gay? Seems like there's a big part of the story missing here, but some of the undertones seem to be that he's "not one of the guys," "he's not tough" and he's "strange."  Typical words and phrases that a bully might use to describe a gay person.

I feel sorry for people like this. He probably has a brain and sensibilities too advanced to properly survive in the world of low IQ ego-maniac jerks that is a professional sports team. Oh well.

Nah. This is the fault of the coaches and veteran leadership in the locker room. 

There are always some jerks in a locker room - if they are producing on the field its tolerated but they need to be kept on a tight lease. There are also normally some players who are the butt of more jokes and 'pranks' than others - and some people can deal with being the guy being picked on better than others.

But there is a line that you don't cross, where its stops being part of being in a locker room (which can be a 'robust' environment) and starts being bullying and counter productive to the team.

Thats when coaches need to step in. They can see and hear whats going on - a word in the ear of a couple of the veteran leaders is normally enough for some self policing to take place ("You fix this or I will" is how that conversation normally goes). If it does not get taken care of the HC takes care of it - and makes sure it stays taken care of.  If coaches let this sort of thing carry on it gets assumed that its OK and the line keeps getting pushed further and further until something breaks.

Incognito has history so he is someone coaches should have been keeping an eye on anyway. 

If he were any good they wouldn't tease him and he'd still be around.

Sounds like he's not meant to play big boy football.

I'm one of the least politically correct people I know, and I hate the ongoing pussification of this country, but your post couldn't have reeked with more ignorance and arrogance. 

The NFL locker room is not your everyday work place. It's a world of the ultimate alpha male. You gotta man up and grow a pair, defend yourself. Do you really want a guy like that on your team who runs away because guys are being mean to him?

If only every issue one could face in this world truly boiled down to "not having a pair," and was solved by "Manning up."

This is obviously more than teasing someone because they're fat, or posting dumb "Kick me" signs on them. He had a choice, and he made it. Congrats to him for doing the smart thing, and not falling into the "Man up" trap (which would have done nothing but make matters worse), which needs to die, very badly. It is false machismo at it's finest. Yes, there are certain issues that could improve simply by acting like a man. Unfortunately, many men seem to not be able distinguish the real ones from the ones they feel pressured into doing for stupid and selfish reasons, or ones they create out of their own insecurity.

How do you "make" someone give up 15k for a trip? 

What could have Incognito done to him if he said no? I really do not get it. 

I think people are thinking of this from too much of a physical abuse standpoint. If someone became aware of certain issues, preferences, etc that you may or may not have, and threatened to go beyond the locker room with them, depending on the victim's state of mind, I think it would be pretty easy to "Make" them do a lot of things...

Archived