Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Foxsports: Source, Teammates Bullied Martin

Destino

Miami Dolphins tackle Jonathan Martin loves playing football.

But what a source told FOX Sports was an abusive environment that developed during Martin's 1 1/2 seasons with the Dolphins led to him taking a personal leave of absence to spend time with his family.

Martin left Dolphins headquarters on Monday when finally reaching his limit with the persistent bullying and teasing from some teammates that has plagued him since joining Miami as a 2012 second-round draft choice. As first reported by FOX Sports NFL insider Jay Glazer, the latest taunt – a group of players stood up and left when he tried joining them for lunch – led to Martin getting up himself and walking out the door.

There is no timetable for a return, which could lead Miami to ultimately place him on the reserve/non-football injury list. It also raises questions about his future with the franchise.

This wasn't an abrupt action by Martin, who is Stanford-educated and the son of two lawyers who attended Harvard University. A source said Martin has tried dealing with a slew of indignities that crossed into personal and family insults, including being bestowed with the nickname of "Big Weirdo."

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/jonathan-martin-miami-dolphins-leaves-team-bullying-taunting-teammates-103113

Chickens see one of their own with a wound and they will peck at it until the chicken dies.

At every level (PeeWee, High School, College, Pros) it is up to team leadership (coaching staff & senior players/captains) to prevent situations where players are ostracized from the team.  I have a hard time believing the team leaders did not know this was going on.

That being said, you're a professional football player and you have to deal with things most people don't in 'real life'.  Have to overcome it and be mentally stronger.

I feel sorry for people like this. He probably has a brain and sensibilities too advanced to properly survive in the world of low IQ ego-maniac jerks that is a professional sports team. Oh well.

I agree.

And lol at the big boy football comment. As if not being good at your job qualifies you to be opened up to insults about your family. That's how people snap and hurt others. Good thing these guys are around to put him in his place in the locker room! Big weirdo with his feelings and stuff.

On that note I do badly want my name changed to that. TK can you hear me? I'm serious about this.

If he were any good they wouldn't tease him and he'd still be around.

Sounds like he's not meant to play big boy football.

The old thought process surfaces.  Blame the victim.  Not tough enough.

I guess you are forgetting that some people are assholes, and those assholes can have a psychological effect on people.  It doesn't sound like this guy is a baby.  He played football at Stanford and I'm sure they had some freshmen hazing there.  It is at least possible that he was bullied and it was actually quite bad.

Also, I'm not familiar with the guy's play, but he is described as one of their best lineman.  So, he probably is meant to play football since apparently he's pretty ****ing good at it.

If he were any good they wouldn't tease him and he'd still be around.

Sounds like he's not meant to play big boy football.

Martin was damn good at Stanford and unless I'm mistaken he's played pretty well for Miami.  Adult players acting like douche bags has nothing to do with playing "big boy" football.  They're being paid astronomical salaries to play a game, the least they can do is act professional.

That was my first thought too. It just seems odd that run-of-the-mill pranking would drive someone to leave the team like that. My guess is there's something more going on there.

There's a difference between "run of the mill pranking" and being abusive.  You don't leave the team because a few guys are ribbing you in the locker room.  Of course there is more going on.

I expected better from some very senior posters here. 

We want and expect respect & equality from one another as humans.  I left another website because of the lack thereof.

HTTR

*EDIT*

since I can't un-ring a bell, sorry about that.  I may have taken a post or two out of context, I can't claim clairvoyance as to the others' posted intended meaning.

Damn. :P  

I'm putting on my new headphones & heading to the youtube thread......we're still the REDSKINS, and all is good.

Hail, y'all!

Seriously though? You leave the team over it?

This isn't 7th grade. 

But the Miami coaching staff should have done more to curb this.

You're right, in 7th grade you don't have the option to leave if your classmates are assholes. Martin is an adult and made an adult decision to remove himself from a situation he did not like. Does it hurt the team? Too god-damned bad, they should have thought about that before it came to this.

If I were working a job where I was constantly harassed by assholes, you better believe I'd hand in my papers and take my talents somewhere they'd be appreciated.

They're saying on NFL Insiders that Richie Incognito was involved. I'm shocked.

Of course he was involved. I would have guessed it if I had remembered he was still on the Dolphins.

If you gave me the Dolphins roster and told me to pick ONE player that I thought had something to do with this, that douche would have easily been my first choice. He always seemed to be up to no good. 

I expected better from some very senior posters here. 

We want and expect respect & equality from one another as humans.  I left another website because of the lack thereof.

HTTR

*EDIT*

since I can't un-ring a bell, sorry about that.  I may have taken a post or two out of context, I can't claim clairvoyance as to the others' posted intended meaning.

Damn. :P  

I'm putting on my new headphones & heading to the youtube thread......we're still the REDSKINS, and all is good.

Hail, y'all!

Allow me to clarify.  When I first heard the story, it seemed confusing.  I have ties to the South Florida and have been to several Dolphin games...I follow the team.

After thinking about the situation, it occurred to me that, perhaps, the teasing was sexual in nature and extremely offensive...though not out of character for an NFL locker room.  This type of thing could certainly cause a guy to abandon his team.

Came to ESATL.  Posted an off-the-cuff assessment.  I used the word "Gaydar" because I felt it succinctly described the situation, maybe.  A word we all would understand on some level.  I meant no offense, but I was attempting to be provocative.

Cool?

Came to ESATL.  Posted an off-the-cuff assessment.  I used the word "Gaydar" because I felt it succinctly described the situation, maybe.  A word we all would understand on some level.  I meant no offense, but I was attempting to be provocative.

Cool?

Oh, absolutely. As I apologized in my post for my quip...I meant no offense, either. Cool?

The people who can't shrug off a joke at their expense are always the ones that get picked on the most.  I learned this lesson from watching full house as a kid.  You gotta have thick skin in this world. 

Yes, you definitely must have thick skin if you are willing to admit publicly that you watched Full House......

Archived