Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Foxsports: Source, Teammates Bullied Martin

Destino

an adult though?

Telling him to **** off wouldn't have worked?? There was nothing Incognito could have realistically done to him. I'd like to think that the remaining 51 guys would have known that Incognito was a ****boy from the get go and wouldn't believe anything he would tell them. 

If it got that bad, he should have went to the coaching staff earlier. Maybe it's just me but I'm not going to let some dude on my own damn team pick on me like I'm five. I cannot fathom that. 

He may have already done that. And  none of us can really say what Incognito would or would not have done. It already seems like his teammates and the staff didn't have his back either, so there was a massive failure of communication somewhere along the way. Yes, adults can be bullied/harassed/extorted, etc at their jobs. In many cases, depending on how unstable the victim is, or becomes, it can lead to a workplace shooting/stabbing, where people turn to video games, their mental health, or Americas gun culture as their base for criticism, instead of including another issue... Assholes/terrible human beings in the workplace. They don't want to touch that one. It happens all the time. Martin may also have some underlying emotional/mental health issues, which would have made him an even easier target.

A profession like this,  is very much protective of their own. Getting blackballed, and "Burning bridges" is very real, despite what the media/league would have people to believe. Whether people choose to believe/understand it or not, the NFL is a very stressful place. Not everyone is mentally/emotionally up for that kind of daily grind, and it doesn't take much to send a guy who already has issues, spiraling out of control.

Any gathering "Sanctuary" of sorts (like locker rooms/bowling leagues etc) in very machoistic/testosterone filled professions, are a breeding ground for all kinds of abuse... But only for the guys that aren't as "Tough" as the others. Those guys get outed very quickly, and over time, become piñatas. It's the same with law enforcement, branches of the military, etc. Just because Martin may not be a violent guy, or even a guy that will step to somebody who goes to these lengths to diss/threaten him does not mean that he is to blame for the issue becoming what it was, or that he is a "Sissy." Maybe he did confront Incognito, I don't know.

I will agree, punching someone who physically tries to punk you at every turn, or puts his hands on you and tries to beat you, generally works, but sometimes, you have to weigh the consequences (whatever they may be). And again, there's no guranteee that an issue such as this particularly, would stop, and not get more violent. At the end of the day, Martin apparently did what he should have done from the beginning, and taken it up the ladder, and it was the organization that failed him. He ultimately did what he had to do, and left the situation entirely.

Sorry, but anyone who say Martin needs to "man up and stand up to Incognito" need to stop it.  Yes, physically Martin could probably beat Incognito in a fight. But would anyone expect a Stanford grad, who is basically a kid in the real world and was sheltered all of his life, to stand up to a bully?

Honestly, I don't even think it's about whether or not Martin could beat Igcognito in a fight.  There is a specific reason WHY Igcognito went the lengths he did to make Martin's life miserable.  He did it because he could. 

*Maybe you all missed it, but Martin DID go to the coaching staff in the Spring with complaints.  Obviously, nothing was done. 

He's a piece of ****. Always has been, and always will be. People don't change.

Although I'd much rather there had been no bullying case whatsoever, I have to admit one thing- I'm SO FREAKING GLAD it's Incognito. I have been praying to GOD for years that something bad would happen to this guy. His illegal on-field tactics and cheap shots that induce flags on the other team because they respond to his cheating has had me furious every time I've seen him play. 

He has made life miserable for the Redskins every time we've played against him. Not because he's a good player but because he's a cheating piece of dung and a crappy human being. Please please PLEASE, Goodell. Banish this turd from the league and take his money away for what he's done to Martin in Miami.

Dude is garbage.

I don't get the whole hazing attitude .. He sounds like of a pos person (incognito) but it's sad it got that far. It should have been dealt with inhouse.... Martin probably needs a bit thicker skin too but I suppose this is on the coaches and other vets.

Why do people keep saying this?  They're professionals, this is not college.  If I decided to do this to someone at my workplace I would not be rewarded as a team leader and a 7 figure salary, I would be fired and maybe much worse.  He doesn't need thicker skin, he's an intelligent kid who had enough and Incognito should be banned from the league for life.  He's been given just about every chance you can to be a quality human-being and he's failed the test miserably.

Why do people keep saying this?  They're professionals, this is not college.  If I decided to do this to someone at my workplace I would not be rewarded as a team leader and a 7 figure salary, I would be fired and maybe much worse.  He doesn't need thicker skin, he's an intelligent kid who had enough and Incognito should be banned from the league for life.  He's been given just about every chance you can to be a quality human-being and he's failed the test miserably.

The people that sat, "Martin needs thicker skin" are just condoning Incognito's behavior on the sly. They should be lucky Martin isn't some homicidal maniac.

Wow, it now appears Richie Incognito Sr. is trolling message boards:

Is Richie Incognito's Dad Blasting Jonathan Martin On Message Boards?

Richie Incognito finds himself at the center of the Dolphins' and the NFL's investigation of the bullying complaints of Jonathan Martin, who left the team last week. Incognito has been suspended indefinitely, and the latest report is that Incognito left Martin texts and voicemails "that are both threatening and racially charged in nature."

Even Dolphins fans seem somewhat fed up with Incognito, who can't seem to avoid trouble off the field and is one of the league's dirtiest players on it. But on a popular Dolphins message board, Incognito has at least one strident defender—and it might be his dad.

Early this morning, a poster with the username "idrd1994" left an impassioned defense of Incognito on the FinHeaven message board. In it, he attacked both Martin and Mike Pouncey as "black brothers that do drugs on a regular basis," and asked readers to "pray [GM Jeff] Ireland and [coach Joe] Philbin die of AIDS." He blasts the team from top to bottom, claims Incognito is getting railroaded, and uses the "black people say the N-word in rap music" argument to dismiss claims that Incognito sent racial messages to Martin. He also implies that Martin has pondered suicide, and "does not belong in an NFL locker room."

The post has since been deleted

Click for more: http://deadspin.com/is-richie-incognitos-dad-blasting-jonathan-martin-on-m-1457997230/@barryap

Richie Incognito has always been a head case, and the worst of the thugs in the NFL

I'll tell you what suprises me

1)that other people are suprised Incognito is involved

2)that Coach Philbin ruled with an iron fist when it came to Chad Johnson, but has be enabling this to happen

3)that Incognito was even on an NFL roster at this point, it just worse that he was in a leadership role

4)that there was no other players that stood up to him.

I'm not sure why some people continuously bring up the "Black  people say the N-word all the time" argument, as if they are somehow upset that they can't use it in public, or that the word is somehow okay for everyone to say. Like I've said before, women, gays, etc call each other derogatory names that are primarily used to describe them as well. It's different when someone on the outside does it, and we all know that. Sitting around and pointing the finger elsewhere really does nothing.

Wow, it now appears Richie Incognito Sr. is trolling message boards:

Early this morning, a poster with the username "idrd1994" left an impassioned defense of Incognito on the FinHeaven message board. In it, he attacked both Martin and Mike Pouncey as "black brothers that do drugs on a regular basis," and asked readers to "pray [GM Jeff] Ireland and [coach Joe] Philbin die of AIDS." He blasts the team from top to bottom, claims Incognito is getting railroaded, and uses the "black people say the N-word in rap music" argument to dismiss claims that Incognito sent racial messages to Martin. He also implies that Martin has pondered suicide, and "does not belong in an NFL locker room."

The post has since been deleted

Click for more: http://deadspin.com/is-richie-incognitos-dad-blasting-jonathan-martin-on-m-1457997230/@barryap

Interesting digging done by Deadspin. The guy's posting history makes it likely it's Cognito's father. Plus, the poster's board registration birthdate matches Cognito, Sr's.

The whole post is breathtakingly ignorant with a side dish of racism. Clearly the apple - the sour, worm eaten apple - didn't fall far from the Cognito tree.

I'm not sure why some people continuously bring up the "Black  people say the N-word all the time" argument, as if they are somehow upset that they can't use it in public, or that the word is somehow okay for everyone to say. Like I've said before, women, gays, etc call each other derogatory names that are primarily used to describe them as well. It's different when someone on the outside does it, and we all know that. Sitting around and pointing the finger elsewhere really does nothing.

preach

what makes people who say "he should have thicker skin" funny to me is that they are the same people who whine about every little misfortune in their life and blame someone else.

Athletes are human, and no one should go through what Johnathan Martin went through.

And shame on those whose original thought was that Martin had sexuality issues.

7uir.jpg

Incognito was trying to make Martin into a warrior...and he gets suspended?  Imo in the NFL, this kind of behavior should be expected towards the younger players in order to prepare them for war on Sunday.

black-field-cricket.jpg

Football isn't war.

Martin may(?) have needed to toughen up, but it was wrong of coaching staff to allow that stuff to go on (Incognito is obviously to blame too) and they should be held accountable.  Developing a team atmosphere is one of a coach's top priorities no matter what level.

black-field-cricket.jpg

Football isn't war.

Martin may(?) have needed to toughen up, but it was wrong of coaching staff to allow that stuff to go on (Incognito is obviously to blame too) and they should be held accountable.  Developing a team atmosphere is one of a coach's top priorities no matter what level.

I just found it odd that the voicemail apparently was from April during offseason training.  I'd be willing to bet that insults and slurs are commonplace in the midst of a football game.

Incognito was trying to make Martin into a warrior...and he gets suspended?  Imo in the NFL, this kind of behavior should be expected towards the younger players in order to prepare them for war on Sunday.

This might have been a good point in 1965. 

I just found it odd that the voicemail apparently was from April during offseason training.  I'd be willing to bet that insults and slurs are commonplace in the midst of a football game.

I highly doubt that.  Did you watch ESPN last night Chris Carter and Keyshawn going off on how this was unacceptable?  In this day and age, it's not appropriate anywhere for insults or slurs.  These guys are professionals and get paid WAY more than 95% of people out there.  They have more scrutiny than any other job, so there is no room for this childish crap.  Personally, I feel incognito should be banned from playing in the NFL and I would expect even more repercussions through the Dolphins organization.  More people were aware of this than just Martin.  I hope he sues the crap out of the Dolphins for harassment and he will win.

Guy was a second round pick with a lot of talent. Not sure about you guys but I played high school and college sports and when we had talented prospects on the team we did not haze them or anything like that we welcomed them and tried to make them better players.  I am sick and tired of seeing all these post about how Martin should man up and take, that's utter BS.  This guy has proven himself to the entire nation as a bonafide talent and is a professional.  These locker room antics and crap need to stop all around the NFL.  If I heard something like this was happening in our locker room I would hope RG3 and London Fletcher would put an end to it immediately.  I am actually shocked by the amount of post people have put in this thread that Martin needs to man up and this is normal.  It's not, so stop spreading that crap around.

Archived