Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Foxsports: Source, Teammates Bullied Martin

Destino

+1. It kind of seemed that way to me as well.

I think the suggestion here is this: If you are being "bullied" in the locker room, and considering that the locker room is not your everyday workplace environment, you may have some of the same options that are available to the 12 year old on a playground. Like, if this guy keeps giving you ****, next time he does it punch him in the face.  Or spray Nair in his jockstrap, or accidentally spill a bucket of dog poop in his locker (but let everyone else know that you did it.).  If Richie wants to fight, then put the ball in his court.

Now, there's also the whole "you're an adult and things should be more professional" BS, but seriously, you're fighting an unwinnable battle there.  These guys have been well versed in locker room culture since their freshman year in high school. 

I think the suggestion here is this: If you are being "bullied" in the locker room, and considering that the locker room is not your everyday workplace environment, you may have some of the same options that are available to the 12 year old on a playground. Like, if this guy keeps giving you ****, next time he does it punch him in the face.  Or spray Nair in his jockstrap, or accidentally spill a bucket of dog poop in his locker (but let everyone else know that you did it.).  If Richie wants to fight, then put the ball in his court.

Now, there's also the whole "you're an adult and things should be more professional" BS, but seriously, you're fighting an unwinnable battle there.  These guys have been well versed in locker room culture since their freshman year in high school. 

Like I said, I think it goes beyond the scope of the "12 year old on the playground." The facts aren't out, so basically, I think people are going off of their own visual interpretation of what happened when they hear the word "Bullying." Simply clocking a cat in the locker room won't work for everybody.

I'm cool with some rookie hazing, but don't cross the line. It's up to the player to let the team and others know when you cross the line.

I don't care how much money I make, there is no way I will let someone bully me (make me pay $15K) for a trip that I'm not even going on. Best thing to do to a bully is punch them in the mouth (or some other action) and they will leave you alone.

If what Stephen A. Smith says is true, this will definitely open up Pandora's Box as far as locker room conduct.

Report: Richie Incognito Called Jonathan Martin A "Half-"n-word""

http://deadspin.com/report-richie-incognito-called-jonathan-martin-a-half-1458148723?utm_campaign=socialflow_deadspin_twitter&utm_source=deadspin_twitter&utm_medium=socialflow

There are several instances of threats as well, the sources said, and overall disturbing exchanges, including one in which Incognito refers to defecating in Martin's mouth.

Incognito also made reference to tracking down members of Martin's family and harming them in the texts as well, according to a source.

http://deadspin.com/report-richie-incognito-called-jonathan-martin-a-half-1458148723?utm_campaign=socialflow_deadspin_twitter&utm_source=deadspin_twitter&utm_medium=socialflow

There are several instances of threats as well, the sources said, and overall disturbing exchanges, including one in which Incognito refers to defecating in Martin's mouth.

Incognito also made reference to tracking down members of Martin's family and harming them in the texts as well, according to a source.

He also said in the same voicemail that he would kill Jonathan Martin... dude doesn't deserve to play another down in the NFL 

Martin is a "baby" or should man up?

He was being extorted by his teammates and verbally abused. These are criminal actions in any workplace, not ok on any level NFL or not. Pathetic that people in this thread even toook Incognito's side. Getting strapped to a goalpost is funny, this is not.

Albert Connell was thrown out of the league for taking money out of another player's wallet. What's the difference here?

WOW. If this is true, he better not ever play in the NFL again.

This is hopefully the last we'll see of Igcognito in the NFL.  Inexcusable. 

Here's an excerpt from an article up on ESPN (w/ the link below)

"Hey, wassup, you half ------ piece of s---. I saw you on Twitter, you been training 10 weeks. [i want to] s--- in your f---ing mouth. [i'm going to] slap your f---ing mouth. [i'm going to] slap your real mother across the face [laughter]. F--- you, you're still a rookie. I'll kill you."

Slurs in Incognito's messages

I think people are thinking of this from too much of a physical abuse standpoint. If someone became aware of certain issues, preferences, etc that you may or may not have, and threatened to go beyond the locker room with them, depending on the victim's state of mind, I think it would be pretty easy to "Make" them do a lot of things...

an adult though?

Telling him to **** off wouldn't have worked?? There was nothing Incognito could have realistically done to him. I'd like to think that the remaining 51 guys would have known that Incognito was a ****boy from the get go and wouldn't believe anything he would tell them. 

If it got that bad, he should have went to the coaching staff earlier. Maybe it's just me but I'm not going to let some dude on my own damn team pick on me like I'm five. I cannot fathom that. 

an adult though?

Telling him to **** off wouldn't have worked?? There was nothing Incognito could have realistically done to him. I'd like to think that the remaining 51 guys would have known that Incognito was a ****boy from the get go and wouldn't believe anything he would tell them. 

If it got that bad, he should have went to the coaching staff earlier. Maybe it's just me but I'm not going to let some dude on my own damn team pick on me like I'm five. I cannot fathom that.

You'd be surprised how easily someone of power can bully and harass someone of weaker stature. It happens.

Definitely on the coaching staff. To allow it to get to the point where a guy feels he has to leave is an indication of failure.

~BAng

Just another sign that the coaching stuff doesn't have a handle on things and will be one of the things mentioned when they all get fired after this year.

I'm looking around for a source, but supposedly Martin went to Coach Philbin over the summer to complain of the bullying.  Obviously, nothing was done.  This keeps getting worse and worse.  Coach might be without a job if the reports are true. 

This is a key point.  If Martin never went to the coaches or anyone in management than his handling of this is unacceptable.  Victim or not, as a professional in the work place one does not simply walk out one and bring down bad press on your employers as a way of letting everyone know there is a problem.  If however he did go to the coaching staff and they did nothing and allowed it to continue or even escalate, then those coaches might be looking for work sooner than they had planned.   

Either way Incognito looks like a total thug and he's going to have a tough time finding a job.

i think the guy meant "what is wrong with incognito" as in "whats wrong with him? thats stupid of him to do that". but yea nobody should be sticking up for him. hes a grown man..act like it.

I was talking about some teammates and maybe some friends refering to him as a good guy.

Archived