Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Post game thoughts, rants, etc

Zazzaro703

Our defense is nothing short of terrible. Why it is that way is up for debate but we all know its bad.

RG3 brings that winning attitude to the offense. Our two wins this season rest purely on his shoulder and what he brings to the game. He inspires others around him to perform better. He improves our running game instantaneously. He is the lynchpin of our offense. If he isn't in there, we look like the team last season or worse.

RG3 is THE most important player to this team. He's the most important player that this team has had in the last 20 years. It's like the Colts without Manning.

There was no reason to think this team had a shot without RG3. He's single handedly turned the offense into something respectable.

That is just silly reasoning IMO. Have you ever heard the saying, "Defenses win Championships"?. It is WAY up there for debate because it is a team sport. Your saying let's have a shoot out at the O,K Coral every week with RG3 leading the shootout, which we did for the first three games of the season, and lets see who wins? Well we went 1-2 didn't we?

Yes, RG3 put together a very good drive to win last week that brought us to 2-2. At the rate of the shoot out proposition RG3 could bring us to an 8-8 record, especially with a decent QB on the opposing team. You need a decent D to have a winning record and to advance into the playoffs, which is the goal. I would say with even an average D we could go into the 10 win region but you need a D that can hold a lead. And given that you are putting it all on RG3's back to carry us, I would say that is unreasonable, unrealistic, and it may happen some weeks, but certainly not every week.

It baffles me that people are still defending Kyle Shanahan and his frat boy playing Madden playcalling. The conventional runs were workin all game long with RG3 in there and he went to them sporadically at best. The first missed field goal came as a result of an absolutely atrocious call on third down. Almost anything else would have been better than a slow developing run to the outside against a fast flowing defense. Then you get down inside the 10 and he craps the bed again. I think it's absolutely inexcusable that Morris finished the game with less than 20 carries while mr hot shot d**** around calling plays like he's not even paying attention to the game. He was a crutch for the Falcons defense in the first half.

Bad Coaching is responsible for this 2-3 record. PERIOD!

Amen to this statement. I bet if 30 other teams had this roster as it is we would be much better Jim Haslett stinks to high heaven. Kyle needs to disappear as does his father this coaching staff has become a cruel joke we have talent but even with talent you can't win with DOO DOO BUTTER play calling......

Let me clarify = not saying Cousins is terrible or lost the game for the Skins. He may in fact turn out to be a starting QB in the NFL. The point was that he was a luxury pick since the Skins already have a decent backup QB. The Skins would have been much better served in drafting a backup OL or help for the secondary to address their more immediate needs. As you said Cousins is a rookie and can't be expected to do much and the Skins are not good enough to use a 4th round draft pick for someone that might be good in the future

Thanks man. Sorry, your initial post read like Cousins threw the two picks today and so was a wasted pick on that basis.

The above makes far more sense, and is a valid, on-going argument.

Apologies for the misunderstanding.

If you couldn't see the problems with the playcalling, there is nothing I can write that will convince you otherwise.

Want to keep up with specific posts and responses before you flippantly jump in?

Hail.

Cundiff sucks. I hated the move from the beginning.

Haslett sucks. The secondary actually played okay, but Haslett has ZERO ability to dial up a real blitz. Real 3-4 coordinators can make do with MUCH less than Haslett has to work with - Cofield and Bowen push the pocket all day, but in a 2-gap 3-4 scheme you must have EITHER 2 stud OLBs OR creative blitzing ability (see what Ryan has done with the Jets), and preferably BOTH. We have only 1 stud OLB and no creative defensive playcaller. Thus Tony Gonzalez catches every first down pass.

Kyle, I love his offense, I love the creativity and misdirection, but at some point, you have to give your stud RB 25-30 carries and play ball-control. I really believe a big reason the Texans are actually winning football games now was because they went from a one-dimensional passing team to a balanced ball-control team. We needed to win TOP today, and we lost it badly.

The WRs played terrible for the most part, Davis was the sole bright spot. RGIII was a bit off anyway.

Cousins is going to recoup that 4th and then some. He threw 2 picks, but he's poised and pretty accurate, but came into a bad situation cold. Don't be surprised if in 2-3 years he becomes our Kevin Kolb (the guy that gets us a 2nd rounder and a quality young starter, not the guy starting for the Cardinals)

RGIII made a rookie mistake, I really hope he's in against the Vikings.

In short, Haslett needs to go at the end of the season unless Rex Ryan gets fired mid-season, and Smith and Cundiff need to clean their **** out this afternoon.

That is just silly reasoning IMO. Have you ever heard the saying, "Defenses win Championships"?. It is WAY up there for debate because it is a team sport. Your saying let's have a shoot out at the O,K Coral every week with RG3 leading the shootout, which we did for the first three games of the season, and lets see who wins? Well we went 1-2 didn't we?

Yes, RG3 put together a very good drive to win last week that brought us to 2-2. At the rate of the shoot out proposition RG3 could bring us to an 8-8 record, especially with a decent QB on the opposing team. You need a decent D to have a winning record and to advance into the playoffs, which is the goal. I would say with even an average D we could go into the 10 win region but you need a D that can hold a lead. And given that you are putting it all on RG3's back to carry us, I would say that is unreasonable, unrealistic, and it may happen some weeks, but certainly not every week.

I'm not advocating that RG3 SHOULD carry this team, I'm saying that he IS carrying this team.

Our defense sucks and while it looked a little bit better today, it's going to be pretty poor all season long. There isn't much that can be done to change the performance of a defensive unit mid season. That's something that we'll have to put up with all season. I do agree that a team needs to have an above average defense to win championships but the reality is that nobody thinks that this team is championship worthy. Only a few think that it's playoff worthy.

Thus, RG3 is The most important player on the team BECAUSE we have to win in shoot out style victories. I'm not an advocate of it but its the reality that we face given our defensive performance. That and the QB is always the most important player of the team, sets the tone, shows leadership, etc.

Nitpicking perhaps but I think not even trying a simple endzone fade, adds pressure to III to try to score himself. I would wager we wont try one all year despite perhaps never being taller at wideout; its just not in the playbook. Not every TD needs to come from III improvising, on long slow developing plays.

Direct snap to Morris had fail written all over it. They were certainly ready for III up the gut if they didnt their homework. Running Morris there is the same play.

I find it interesting that Rex is not our game day #2. Why do we even have him around.

It baffles me that people are still defending Kyle Shanahan and his frat boy playing Madden playcalling. The conventional runs were workin all game long with RG3 in there and he went to them sporadically at best. The first missed field goal came as a result of an absolutely atrocious call on third down. Almost anything else would have been better than a slow developing run to the outside against a fast flowing defense. Then you get down inside the 10 and he craps the bed again. I think it's absolutely inexcusable that Morris finished the game with less than 20 carries while mr hot shot d**** around calling plays like he's not even paying attention to the game. He was a crutch for the Falcons defense in the first half.

it baffles me that posters on an Internet message board think they're more qualified than an nfl coordinator. it shocks me your not employed as one, since your expert analysis includes citing a play didn't work in hindsight. Kyle shanahan has coordinated an offense that is currently one of the top scoring offenses in the league, and top 2 in rushing. what are your expectations for Kyle? To coordinate a number one overall offense? I can't stand this board on game days. the overreactions are incredible.

Want to keep up with specific posts and responses before you flippantly jump in?

Hail.

Look, GHH. I didn't "flippantly" jump into anything. I said in several earlier posts that K. Shanahan's offensive gameplan was terrible today. You offered absolutely no specifics supporting your apparent position that the playcalling wasn't the problem today, but you expect me to do what you weren't wiling to do yourself. If you want specifics, here are few: We had 12 first downs the entire game and were 1-9 on third down conversions. We ran 48 total plays to Atlanta's 81. We ran the ball only 21 times but averaged 6.1 yards per carry against a defense we knew coming in couldn't stop the run. 5 of our 12 drives went three and out. There was absolutely no imagination or thought put into the offensive gameplan. The running was working and then we would inexplicably turn away from it. We ran a slow developing play action pass that almost got RGIII killed; we ran some BS direct snap to Morris. It was a horrendous gameplan--no two ways around it.

And by the way, just because you say "Hail" after every post, doesn't make you the king of this board, sir.

I pretty sure Aaron Rodgers won a SB in a shootout style

To the post the above was a reply to ..... how the HELL do you blame playcalling on the hit that took RGIII out of the game?

Seriously, explain that one to me.

Hail.

I never blamed the playcalling on RGIII's injury. That had nothing to do with playcalling IMO and everything to do with RGIII not knowing when to give up on a play and live to see another day. Not sure how you read that into any of my posts.

It's FedEx field. We need to play in a high school before we play another game there or relocate to the team to the closest decent sized college until we get a stadium back in DC. The Hokies can't win there either. The curse is so strong it follows us on the road too. Send the damn ghost busters in there and make a movie about it.

No, no...from what I understand, this goes back to the Norv Turner years. The early Norv Turner years. This kind of stuff has been happening since the final seasons at RFK.

It isn't FedEx. Hell, we've won a playoff game at FedEx.

Look, GHH. I didn't "flippantly" jump into anything. I said in several earlier posts that K. Shanahan's offensive gameplan was terrible today. You offered absolutely no specifics supporting your apparent position that the playcalling wasn't the problem today, but you expect me to do what you weren't wiling to do yourself. If you want specifics, here are few: We had 12 first downs the entire game and were 1-9 on third down conversions. We ran 48 total plays to Atlanta's 81. We ran the ball only 21 times but averaged 6.1 yards per carry against a defense we knew coming in couldn't stop the run. 5 of our 12 drives went three and out. There was absolutely no imagination or thought put into the offensive gameplan. The running was working and then we would inexplicably turn away from it. We ran a slow developing play action pass that almost got RGIII killed; we ran some BS direct snap to Morris. It was a horrendous gameplan--no two ways around it.

And by the way, just because you say "Hail" after every post, doesn't make you the king of this board, sir.

Seriously?

You jumped in on a two post debate regarding RGIII getting injured, and the playcalling having jack to do with that. The overall game calling is a separate issue and wasn't even being discussed before you decided to be flip and sarcastic and take a specific into a generalisation. Even more ironic as you were the protagonist of both posts on Roberts injury that brought this around.

But hey, thank you for for the 'game' rant and presuming that was being discussed when it wasn't.

And thank you for the tawdry point on the way I finish my posts. Classy job all round.

Hail.

*Edit* Had you replied with the last post you did above on this, instead of being a wise ass and presuming. we wouldn't of gotten to this point.

3rd down play calling sucks!

Cundiff Sucks....oops who knew? (Sarcasm) Oh yeah and the punter is pretty bad now also..

RGIII has to go out of bounds or throw it away.

RGIII throws 10 passes???...Coaches call the game like he is not a franchise QB.

Defense was held all day? Skins need to put together the video of the massive holds and put it on the Redskins web site. I'm sick of the 3 or 4 allowed holding games every single season.

Skins would not have won with Grossman..keep Cousins at no.2

Skins stayed close with a good team...but they are not smart...period!

I feel like everyone needs to calm down a bit with the play calling argument. RGIII is a rookie QB and you have to scheme around the things he does well. He's limited right now because he can't do everything yet. There is nothing wrong with saying that either. He's a rookie QB!! Lets just calm down. it's reassuring because the skins have played well in the first 5 games with RGIII being the main reason for that however the schedule is very tough and this team has A LOT of holes still left to fill.

They will get better but to expect so much so soon is really not reasonable.

Before Sean Taylor got injured, there was a bad call on Fletcher for defensive taunting (which it wasn't) on third down. Then Sean got hurt later on that drive. Which made him not play. Which made him be at home that night.

Basically, the ref killed Sean Taylor.

That's the type of logic behind the playcalling getting RGIII hurt on a *PASS* play when he decided to run and the defender chose to ignore the slide.

I wasn't blaming his injury on the playcalling.

Archived