Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Post game thoughts, rants, etc

Zazzaro703

I was very confused about the playcalling on the 1st and goal from the 9 series on which RG3 got hurt. Alfred Morris had been running people over all game... and not once did they give it to him down near the goal line. It made no sense. I made the comment to my girlfriend that it seems Kyle Shannahan is more interested in being "clever" than he is in being successful.

Also, on another note, I was at the game. The energy level in the stadium was very high, but when Cundiff missed that 31 yard field goal it was as if all that energy was just SUCKED out of Fedex field.

Regarding Cousins, while he did make those two bad mistakes (under a very high pressure situation), that pass he made to Moss was a thing of beauty. I'm glad they drafted him, and I hope he grows into a good backup for RG3, because we're going to need a good backup.

1. We should have pounded Morris more. Run game was rolling but we didn't stay with it.

2. We were the victims of some untimely drops that stopped drives.

3. Our defense played better, but still gave up way too many yards in the air.

4. Lack of QB pressure hurt us yesterday. We didn't blitz very often, and our secondary was not able to cover for the length of time that Ryan had.

5. Many times RG3 was trying to release the ball so fast that the play didn't have time to develop

6. Cousins was OK but also made some rookie mistakes trying to force the ball into tight spots resulting in INT.

7. Didn't run stretch boot plays, it was there for much of the game (over pursuit by Falcons, D).

8. All in all not a bad effort against a good team.

Well, let's see -- Ryan Kerrigan had another pick-6 and this one was really impressive. Alfred Morris may not have a top gear, but he moves the chains in big chunks. Cousins had a TD and 2 ints -- which is fairly Grossman-like, except that Grossman probably wouldn't get that TD and he's not a rookie. We're a young team with some holes -- RT, K, CB, S. Those can be acquired in rounds 2-7. This year, we're going to find out what we've got and what we can do.

We stilled played well enough to close them out and we did not. I would have ran the ball alot more than we did,.

Next the Defense, still has major issues. They ran twice as many plays as we did and the time of Possession killed us at the end. The Second half the offense did very little, should have had more points the first half. Our 3rd efficiency has fallen way off....

By the end of the game the defense was tired and just could not make a play. So we still need to find away, I do think the front three are okay but there are no pro bowlers there... We need a dominate nose tackle... One that causes havoc so the others can get pressure...

We are still a couple players away on the D line and in the secondary....

Tbone...

I am so sick of hearing about how many more years its going to take to turn this mess around.

I get screamed at by other people in this board that its "only year 3".

Watching the colts beat the Packers yesterday was just so illuminating. They have already doubled their win total from last year and they were utterly hopeless last year. They won 1 freakin game last year. Now they are beating the packers.

Cinci in the playoffs last year is another great example.

St Louis is scrapping big time.

Pete Caroll had the Seahawks going the right direction in less than a full season in a labor dispute year with no off-season.

Its just so frustrating that we can't seem to turn the corner. I'm not talking about a superbowl contender. I'm talking about a real team that can compete for a playoff birth. A team that can win a game like yesterday when everything was going our way .. . at home. We close the deal - not choke it away. . .again. Its just beyond frustrating.

I am so sick of hearing about how many more years its going to take to turn this mess around.

Watching the colts beat the Packers yesterday was just so illuminating. They have already doubled their win total from last year and they were utterly hopeless last year. They won 1 freakin game last year. Now they are beating the packers.

Pete Caroll had the Seahawks going the right direction in less than a full season in a labor dispute year with no off-season.

Its just so frustrating that we can't seem to turn the corner. I'm not talking about a superbowl contender. I'm talking about a real team that can compete for a playoff birth. A team that can win a game like yesterday when everything was going our way .. . at home. We close the deal - not choke it away. . .again. Its just beyond frustrating.

For christ's sake we are 2-3 and have been in every game. Chill the **** out.

Wait, I just realized what thread I am in. Sorry, please continue. Just don't hurt yourself.

I don't know about anyone else, but I wanted to throw my remote through the television with the end of the first half play calling. Why is the ball being run three straight times when there is 30 seconds on the clock and there are two time outs left? That was a chance to put a little drive together and attempt a fg. Whether cundiff makes it or not is another issue. This team is way too content to sit on a lead when they have it, and are always content with going in tied at halftime. Show some killer instinct every once in awhile. We are tied with a team who was Supposed to beat us. You have to try and get points there.

then they try to score before half and throw a pick 6 giving an already confident atlanta team more confidence going in to half. there was nothing wrong with running the clock out before half.

-Not ONE single blitz from Haslett. Not ONE!-London Fletcher was flagged a season or so ago for hitting Tom Shady in the same fashion as Griffin was. Still, we get NOTHING in the way of a flag.-Does anyone know how fast Rocca is? Maybe a trick play on Special Teams here and there might make things more, oh I dunno, SPESHUL?!-I love Santana Moss!

We're 2-3, going into a winnable game, in a division that's completely wide open, with 11 games to play.

I'm sorry, I know this is the rant thread, but if you're in panic mode right now you can't be helped...

Isn't RGIII's injury at least cause for minor panic???

Here is my recap on Shanny's presser about RGIII's status:

-Spoke to Robert for about 15-20 minutes and said Robert is feeling good.

-Said Robert never blacked out unlike Aldrick who was out for 1.5 minutes

-Said Robert is NOT currently experiencing any concussion symptoms

-Said he will undergo tests today and tomorrow and if he passes them he will get a light workout in tomorrow and will be able to practice on Wednesday with no contact

-Is going to monitor Robert throughout the week and if he passes his tests and doesn't have any setbacks plans for him to start.

-Made sure to emphasize to Robert sliding sooner. Also emphasized to Robert how vital he is to the football team

-When Robert first came off the field, he knew the score and quarter. It wasn't until a few minutes later when Robert was taking to the training room behind the bench that he couldn't remember the quarter or score

-Shanny looked at Roberts eyes when he came off the field and knew something was wrong despite Robert telling him he was fine. Told Robert to go see the doctor

-Shanny stands by his in game injury status of Robert as "shaken up"

hard to quote this and not leave it all in there because I feel your frustration there for all for all of the reasons you named. Those other teams are improving and turning things around, why can't we do the same...not just in looks but in actual wins. We can see progrerss, RG3 is a huge difference maker, yet still not totally getting it done. It is frustration. I hope we are closer than we think.

---------- Post added October-8th-2012 at 04:42 PM ----------

I had the same feeling, soon as Robert was out, I was like crap. Game over. and Cundiff missing another, what should be an easy make for a professional NFL kicker. wtf. ugh. Get well Robert.

We have some deficiencies, CUNDIFF!, Sedondary, safeties, o line, coaching in some regards. A couple more playmakers, at least one on each side of the ball are needed.

The only thing I was dissapointed in was the lack of the "bootleg" I felt we should've ran it more often. This was the best game that I seen thus far for are running attack. We should have use the play action,bootlegs,ect.more! FD83 was killing them why not dial up his numbe more in this game? If I do have a complaint or rant this would be it, just not agressive enough for my liking. You're playing a 5-0 team, you must play agressive to win

then they try to score before half and throw a pick 6 giving an already confident atlanta team more confidence going in to half. there was nothing wrong with running the clock out before half.

Or the opposite happens and they put a little drive together and put up three before the half. Hell maybe there is a busted coverage and santana is running wide open down the field lol. It could have been valuable experience for a rookie qb. Far to long this team has played to NOT lose. They need to start playing to win.

The only thing I was dissapointed in was the lack of the "bootleg" I felt we should've ran it more often. This was the best game that I seen thus far for are running attack. We should have use the play action,bootlegs,ect.more! FD83 was killing them why not dial up his numbe more in this game? If I do have a complaint or rant this would be it, just not agressive enough for my liking. You're playing a 5-0 team, you must play agressive to win

this x 1000

I was almost over this loss and then I saw a clip on NFL Network today and I need to vent more...

I am SO SICK of seeing the opposing teams players on our field with huge kool-aid grins on their faces and dancing around and having the best time in the world!

I can't wait for the days were these players have to sit on the bench and go through the set of emotions I have to go through after another :censored: loss by this team!

:rant:

Here is my recap on Shanny's presser about RGIII's status:

-Spoke to Robert for about 15-20 minutes and said Robert is feeling good.

-Said Robert never blacked out unlike Aldrick who was out for 1.5 minutes

-Said Robert is NOT currently experiencing any concussion symptoms

-Said he will undergo tests today and tomorrow and if he passes them he will get a light workout in tomorrow and will be able to practice on Wednesday with no contact

-Is going to monitor Robert throughout the week and if he passes his tests and doesn't have any setbacks plans for him to start.

-Made sure to emphasize to Robert sliding sooner. Also emphasized to Robert how vital he is to the football team

-When Robert first came off the field, he knew the score and quarter. It wasn't until a few minutes later when Robert was taking to the training room behind the bench that he couldn't remember the quarter or score

-Shanny looked at Roberts eyes when he came off the field and knew something was wrong despite Robert telling him he was fine. Told Robert to go see the doctor

-Shanny stands by his in game injury status of Robert as "shaken up"

Just tells you how tough this kid is. You know he wanted to keep playing. And that comes as a shock to me that he actually did know where he was and what the score was after he got hit. Kid is tough as nails and smart as hell. Just has to learn when to give up on a play. We'll be fine, and RGIII should be good to go on Sunday.

+1. I was actually thinking the same thing yesterday. I see progress on this team, but it is painfully slow. And, now with loss of draft picks (for a good reason, but nonetheless picks we need and do not have), AND the friggin capgate nonsense....well, we may be like this for a couple more seasons. We need Oline help, secondary help, maybe a stud pass rusher, a kicker. We may also need a stud WR. I thought we had brought in one with Garcon....and maybe it will still develop that way....but he has not looked good during the past two games.

Yet, we are still only a game out of first place.....if our D and O can get on same page for one game we may actually win a couple at FEDEX.

I was almost over this loss and then I saw a clip on NFL Network today and I need to vent more...

I am SO SICK of seeing the opposing teams players on our field with huge kool-aid grins on their faces and dancing around and having the best time in the world!

I can't wait for the days were these players have to sit on the bench and go through the set of emotions I have to go through after another :censored: loss by this team!

:rant:

Have a feeling that will be a long, long time before we and our Skins can have days like that. Just my opinion.

YES...minor. But if Kirk has to take every snap this week in practice, my bet is that he won't throw 2 ints next week.

I want RGIII back asap, but only 100%. It's not worth it to rush him back into playing. Capt. Kirk needs to get his ladder legs, and no better way to learn than by doing.

Hail!

YES...minor. But if Kirk has to take every snap this week in practice, my bet is that he won't throw 2 ints next week.

I want RGIII back asap, but only 100%. It's not worth it to rush him back into playing. Capt. Kirk needs to get his ladder legs, and no better way to learn than by doing.

Hail!

I agree. If Groosman has to step unto FedEx field come this Sunday I will be sick.

Let's not leave Shanahan out of this -

(1) Why hasn't Cundiff already been cut?

(2) The decision to dress Cousins as the #2 QB was a clear mistake. With Grossman at the helm, we beat the Falcons. Grossman would have found Santana on the broken coverage. Furthermore, Grossman runs the 2 minute offense very well. It's hard to deny that we could have done worse than 2 interceptions and 2 sacks in 5 "drives". Furthermore, Grossman outplayed Cousins in the preseason. Sure, Cousins looked very good. However, Grossman threw a virtually perfect game against the Bears and thereby earned the #2 gig (as if he already needed to earn it). The cost of having a rookie backing up another rookie was as clear as day yesterday.

(3) Shanahan continues to kick field goals on 4th and short deep in enemy territory. Does this man have any balls? You have one of the best red zone offenses in the league and you don't trust it on when a potential TD is on the line? Cundiff is having one of the worst seasons I've ever seen from a kicker, but we also have to question why he is even kicking 31 yard field goals in the first place.

(4) The third down offense is downright pathetic. We've had some dismal offenses in Washington over the past decade plus, but I don't think I've ever seen such pathetic displays on 3rd down.

+1 on Rex being the game day backup. Why risk losing both rookie QBs in the same game, when its obvious Cousins doesn't have nearly the practice week work needed to be able to safely and competently step in. Rex is Rex sure Cousins may be better but Rex has experience. Its a TD or INT, flip a coin. He can get us through emergency duty. Only thing worse than losing Griffin to injury is forcing Cousins in not fully prepared, and risking him too.

And for the love of the game, please stop playing not to lose. Who started that in this town, i bet it was Norvous. Who blew a lead last night, I saw. Our team strength is our dynamic approach on offense, it must be used to win games for us.

Let's not leave Shanahan out of this -

(1) Why hasn't Cundiff already been cut?

(2) The decision to dress Cousins as the #2 QB was a clear mistake. With Grossman at the helm, we beat the Falcons. Grossman would have found Santana on the broken coverage. Furthermore, Grossman runs the 2 minute offense very well. It's hard to deny that we could have done worse than 2 interceptions and 2 sacks in 5 "drives". Furthermore, Grossman outplayed Cousins in the preseason. Sure, Cousins looked very good. However, Grossman threw a virtually perfect game against the Bears and thereby earned the #2 gig (as if he already needed to earn it). The cost of having a rookie backing up another rookie was as clear as day yesterday.

(3) Shanahan continues to kick field goals on 4th and short deep in enemy territory. Does this man have any balls? You have one of the best red zone offenses in the league and you don't trust it on when a potential TD is on the line? Cundiff is having one of the worst seasons I've ever seen from a kicker, but we also have to question why he is even kicking 31 yard field goals in the first place.

(4) The third down offense is downright pathetic. We've had some dismal offenses in Washington over the past decade plus, but I don't think I've ever seen such pathetic displays on 3rd down.

I would've been a lot more comfortable with Grossman at the helm as well. We're talking about someone that started the majority of games for the team last year as opposed to a rookie who has never sniffed the field. Sometimes I don't understand Shanahan's logic. Yesterday was a perfect scenario where Grossman would be very useful

Archived