Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Post game thoughts, rants, etc

Zazzaro703

My thoughts are where were the WR's in this game? Other than Moss getting behind the D, the WR's played a pretty poor game IMO. Garcon was off and Hank didn't really do much at all. I feel Kyle called a pretty conservative game and only started to attempt to open it up when we were behind.

garcon has always had the dropsies, and hankerson is overhyped by this board.

Hank is big but he's slow and he's a lumberer. Guy doesn't move smoothly at all. I'm confused why we use him so much on screens and reverses. Guy is not a speed threat at all. He needs to just run crisp routes and catch everything thrown to him. He won't be a star but he could be a solid possession guy.

I want to see more of Robinson. He's got more speed and playmaking ability.

garcon has always had the dropsies, and hankerson is overhyped by this board.

So where was Aldrick Robinson where was Josh Morgan where was the Brandon Banks formation?? Oh yeah that's right They were either not being thrown too because of the crappy play calling by Mr. I have a NFL Job because of my Daddy Kyle Shanahan is the Offensive Coordinator and we have thousands of fans that don't know any better.......

Ok guys, I am going to say what people might not want to hear, but "raw speed" might be one of the most overrated aspects. The key is sharp route-running and being able to get cornerbacks and safeties to bite on double-moves and fakes. Also the playaction pass goes a long way into getting WRs open.

The fact is, most WRs in the game, whether they are considered "fast" or not, will run away from defenders if they get a few steps on them and catch the ball in stride. It happens all the time. You can sign all the track stars in the world as WRs, but if they can't bait a cornerback and safety into looking for a short pass and getting them to commit and then burning them on a double movie, you are worthless.

Hankerson showed against the Rams that if he can bait a defender, he has what it takes to get behind the defensive backs and go all the way. Hell, he did it while bobbling the ball, which probably have the DBs more time to catch up to him, and he still scored.

The speed of our WRs is not the issue. It is partly their overall ability, and partly the O-line not giving time to set up the plays. Also, I hear that Moss was open a few times for huge gains and he was missed...so who knows what could have been.

A good example of this is DeAngelo Hall, in a foot race, he is probably as fast as 99% of the WRs in this league, however he often gets beat on long passes, why? Because it isn't just about the speed of a WR, but how they run routes, how they try and bait the DBs, the time the QB has to sit and wait for a play to develop, etc etc etc....if speed was the determining factor, D-Hall should be a shutdown corner. LOL.

Ok guys, I am going to say what people might not want to hear, but "raw speed" might be one of the most overrated aspects. The key is sharp route-running and being able to get cornerbacks and safeties to bite on double-moves and fakes. Also the playaction pass goes a long way into getting WRs open.

The fact is, most WRs in the game, whether they are considered "fast" or not, will run away from defenders if they get a few steps on them and catch the ball in stride. It happens all the time. You can sign all the track stars in the world as WRs, but if they can't bait a cornerback and safety into looking for a short pass and getting them to commit and then burning them on a double movie, you are worthless.

Hankerson showed against the Rams that if he can bait a defender, he has what it takes to get behind the defensive backs and go all the way. Hell, he did it while bobbling the ball, which probably have the DBs more time to catch up to him, and he still scored.

The speed of our WRs is not the issue. It is partly their overall ability, and partly the O-line not giving time to set up the plays. Also, I hear that Moss was open a few times for huge gains and he was missed...so who knows what could have been.

A good example of this is DeAngelo Hall, in a foot race, he is probably as fast as 99% of the WRs in this league, however he often gets beat on long passes, why? Because it isn't just about the speed of a WR, but how they run routes, how they try and bait the DBs, the time the QB has to sit and wait for a play to develop, etc etc etc....if speed was the determining factor, D-Hall should be a shutdown corner. LOL.

Good post.

It's not so much speed as it is fluidity of movement. Look at the way Alfred Morris runs. He's big, he's not particularly fast, but he's a natural runner. There is no wasted motion in his muscles. He's very graceful and smooth when he runs, very impressive considering his strength.

Then you look at a guy like Hankerson. It's like he's got bricks on his hips and calves when he runs. Very clunky.

RG3 can't get well soon enough. Game was over as soon as he took that hit.

This is a one man team.

one man team? he didnt do much for the half + he was able to play, what did he leave the game with? 90 yrds passing?. Other then the N.O. game he has had terrible halves of games 2 weeks ago, going into the 4th he had 100yrds passing, last week the only thing that made him look good was the drive in the end of the game to give us a chance at the game winning FG. Take away the scoring by the D and he is doing and hes not doing much better at scoring as the other QB,s we have had. Given the fact the defense cant stop them when it counts We need to score a hell of alot more to win games

#23 again stinks refuses to play bump and run press coverage and even #26 is more of a gamer than 23.

Disagree with this...not sure why Hall gets the rap he does around here. He's one of our leaders in tackles, and even showed up in run support, by having a tackle for loss today. Our defensive gameplan was obviously to double both receivers which left Gonzalez matched up primarily with LBs, and the leeway to rip us to shreds.

Do you think that our DBs decide arbitrarily how they're going to line up each play? Hall playing off is a part of the playcall (not that I agree with it most times)...but against receivers that are bigger than him, he wouldn't be effective in bump and run.

My rants center around the offensive playcalling...I remember the announcers saying that Shanahan scripts the first 20 plays...maybe that's too much, especially when your offense is consistently going three & out. That can take you to the 2nd quarter without adjusting your playcalling to exploit weaknesses in the opposition. Whatever the case may be, there's absolutely no reason to get away from the run when it's working, and you know it's a defense's weakness. This game was never out of reach.

Beyond that, why were there virtually no shots downfield, minus that one TD pass to Moss? That should've been done while RGIII was still in the game...I only recall there being one play action...just a really weird offensive philosophy this week.

I like Cousins, I really do, but Grossman should be our backup. We don't benefit in any tangible way by losing games, since we don't have a first rounder in 2013, so right now it doesn't make sense to put in a guy that will limit the plays you can call. If you're not going to play Grossman in these situations, you should've just offered him a coaching job in the offseason and saved a roster spot.

Griffin let the team down by not throwing it away on a play that he obviously couldn't squeeze a TD out of. Offense was just horrid on third down, that might have been the biggest killer.

Defense were playing over their heads in the first half, you knew they couldn't hold. Offense didn't help them out by having so many quick drives stopped. Defense can't get to the QB.

Cundiff obviously blows and shouldn't be here, but I think most people saw that. That falls on Shanahan.

If Griffin is out next week, I hope we see Cousins again. He's got a lot of potential, helped keep it close.

Griffin let the team down by not throwing it away on a play that he obviously couldn't squeeze a TD out of. Offense was just horrid on third down, that might have been the biggest killer.

Defense were playing over their heads in the first half, you knew they couldn't hold. Offense didn't help them out by having so many quick drives stopped. Defense can't get to the QB.

Cundiff obviously blows and shouldn't be here, but I think most people saw that. That falls on Shanahan.

If Griffin is out next week, I hope we see Cousins again. He's got a lot of potential, helped keep it close.

I'm not sure this has been mentioned, as I haven't read all the posts in this thread, but RG3 had Garcon open on the play he was injured. Garcon pivoted and was open for a TD, if RG3 looks his way. Toss a quick strike and we're up 14-7.

Well, the game was disappointing. BUT, we have a tough schedule this year and RG3 is going to mature to the point where he more aptly avoids situations where he's placed at high risk for injury. Clearly we need a stronger secondary and we need Orakpo NOT to be on IR. With the number of offensive plays the Falcons shot off, our defense clearly wore down at the end. Obviously we need a new kicker b/c Cundiff SUCKS. I'd say that about wraps up my thoughts for today. Good night, don't forget to tip your waitress.

I hear ya! Although I feel that somehow, even if it's Capt. Kirk, we'll pull this one out. I mean we simply CANNOT make it 9 in a row.

That's what we said about today's game. haha I just hope that we can play the same type of D we did this week. Gotta force Ponder into mistakes, and shut down All-Day.

Hank is big but he's slow and he's a lumberer. Guy doesn't move smoothly at all. I'm confused why we use him so much on screens and reverses. Guy is not a speed threat at all. He needs to just run crisp routes and catch everything thrown to him. He won't be a star but he could be a solid possession guy.

I want to see more of Robinson. He's got more speed and playmaking ability.

Agree 100%, when he ran the reverse today, I'm thinking "WTF Really, why are we running Hank on reverses"

I think we played Atlanta too conservatively. It was as is we played them like we were surprised we were keeping it close. I think we ran way too much. Though Morris was gashing them, we relied on it to much, and kept Robert to much as an after thought. Robert is an excellent passer. It didn't help our receivers kept letting us down on third down. We never got a rhythm offensively. Geez, Ryan threw like 52 times. I notice Indy really lets Luck pass. We seem to only let Robert pass when we are behind. Just a thought.

---------- Post added October-7th-2012 at 11:08 PM ----------

Agree 100%, when he ran the reverse today, I'm thinking "WTF Really, why are we running Hank on reverses"

He's terrible after the catch. Terrible on reverses. I wish we would use Briscoe more.

Archived