Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Almost 2/3rds of ES predicts Redskins to be a losing team. Gets upset when they look like a losing team.

Springfield

OC - we can do much better, but no one will notice or care as long as we're racking up 30+ points a game

You need to explain yourself on this one. Kyle is one of the best OCs in the league. As evidenced by our offense this year. Our offense is producing in every facet of the game - run, pass, red zone, short drives, long drives.

Not sure how you can do "much better" than the highest scoring offense, #5 in yards per game, and fewest turnovers.

Besides scoring 33 points a game nothing is very surprising. The majority probably had us at 1-2 right now before the season started. 2-1 at best. Opponents fear RG3 much more than Grossman/Candle/Brunell so of course our defense is going to be attacked more. Our defense was always overrated though.

Besides late in 05 when the D stepped it up along with Portis this team would lose most games when the opponent scored 20.

Haslett can't be fired soon enough. Just to see if Morris would be a good enough replacement.

I totally agree with you SS but there is another factor to it. Not many, myself included, thought the D would be THIS bad. I mean, we're leading the league in scoring and can't buy a stop. This is the same group of guys, essentially, that were a decent group last year, not great but nothing like this. So you've got Williams starting instead of Doughty (huge downgrade, I know) but the starters are the same otherwise and they're just getting torn apart. A middle of the pack D has us 3-0 right now. That's really frustrating because RG3 and the "work in progress" offense are playing great and the defense that was supposed to boast an impressive front 7 couldn't stop a D2 team right now. It's frustrating because we've been waiting 20 something ****ing years for a QB and the offense in general to show up to the ****ing games and just happens to happen the same year that the defense appears poised to be epically bad. It's a little bit of a gut punch thinking about the damage we could do this year if the D was even mediocre. In the long run, no I didn't expect a playoff team this year and yes I'm very excited about the (Haslett-less) future. Doesn't change the fact that it's disappointing that the defense chose this year, of all years, to decide to challenge for the "worst Redskins defense of the last decade or two" award.

I agree with what the OP has said and every Sunday the games will be entertaining. Last year it was often hard to watch some of the low scoring games.

I predicted 8-8 and it will be interesting to see where we are at the half way mark in the season. There were several positives today offensively. If the 49ers

lost Willis on defense and one other key defensive lineman they would be struggling to beat teams in their division. We did not bolster our secondary in the offseason

because we got the huge fine from the NFL and we could not upgrade the offensive line either. Give the General Manager time to figure out our next moves.

The SF Giants baseball team blossomed after their GM made some mid-season moves and before that time, their fans were very critical of the General Manager.

Now the fans have changed their tune because yesterday they made the playoffs.

I don't know about you, but I don't consider a .500 season to be a winning season. I'd assume by the reactions on the board that you'd (ES et al) would be inclined to agree.

That's fine, but it is considered a winning season. We'll either do that, or be 1 under or 1 over.

My friends, this is a losing team. This is what a losing team looks like. A losing team will break your heart in one way or another. They will be inept on offense, their defense will be unable to stop the opponent. That is the fact of the matter with any losing team. They lose, the fans feel the pain.

What doesn't make sense is the fan base's reaction to such a team. Before the season started, almost 2/3rds of ES voted that team was .500 or worse. I don't know about you, but I don't consider a .500 season to be a winning season. I'd assume by the reactions on the board that you'd (ES et al) would be inclined to agree.

Now what I'm saying isn't something new. We've had posters who have pointed out that knew there were holes in the secondary. We've had posters who have pointed that our offensive line was suspect. Why do we cry for heads to roll when the exact same holes that we predicted still exist? Did our first win lull us into an ideology that this was no longer a rebuild project? I suppose that is exactly the case. A win against a team that was great (as expected) to start the season brings about a great amount of expectations. Chest thumping runs rampant.

My opinion, as if it even matters, is that we don't need sweeping changes in the front office. We don't need a new DC, OC or HC (ST is still up for grabs and I'd land on the side of the mob in that respect). What we need to do is let Bruce Allen bring his plan to fruition. If he thinks we need to keep the people whom we despise then we should let him do it. As I said before this is a work in progress.

Let's just treat this like a team that we expect to be 8-8 at the very best. We should not expect a win every week because it's not realistic. Before the season started, most of us knew this. Demanding more (and replacing) those that we did not expect the world out of is unfair.

Just be fair. Be realistic. Cheer the team for what it is, not what it can not be.

Almost forgot. Here's the proof to my title:

http://www.extremeskins.com/showthread.php?368812-***-GUESS-our-2012-SEASON-RECORD-CONTEST-***&highlight=guess+record

I'm not speaking for everyone else but I'm pissed because there is no reason our defense should be regressing to this extent and the anger I have is being fueled from the fact that our offense is now explosive even when things don't go so smoothly like today but our defense is now playing at a lower level than it was last year. When I picked us to go 7-9 I did it because I felt like the O line and a rookie Qb would be a stumbling point for this team but its not, people can cry about the O line all they want but the fact is we are scoring more than enough points to win games if our defense was just playing average instead of below average or hideous. Look we have guys coming up in the last year of their contracts after this season and we will have some decisions to make with the cap penalty as well. We cant afford to have this defense be this bad.

I expected us to be a losing team because I figured our rookie QB would make lots of mistakes. I didn't expect to have the most dynamic QB in the league playing lights-out but having the rest of the team and the coaching suck so bad that we are a losing team. That's why I am upset.

This team was expected to struggle at the qb position, along the O line, and possibly in the run game on on the offensive side of things. As far as defense goes, we expected the front 7 to be elite and deep at most positions. We expected the secondary to struggle at times.

Here's what we have: Our rookie qb is playing at a pro bowl level. The O line is playing fairly well and our run game is ranked in the top 5. We are scoring 30+ points a game! We're NOT turning the ball over. We're causing turn overs.

Our front 7 is average at best. We stop the run but we can't create consistent pressure on the front end or cover well at the LB position or in the secondary. Our secondary and LB core is as porous in coverage as I've ever seen it averaging 335+ yards passing allowed. Our special teams play is below average with good kickoff and punt coverage (and FGs made), but poor protection, terrible returns, and poor discipline.

This team is almost flipped on its head.

We have a playoff caliber offense which NO ONE expected and a qb playing at a higher level than ANYONE expected. We have a defense that is porous who can't seem to stop anyone from scoring in the air. Teams don't even have to run the ball b/c they just gash us in the air at will.

I'm not upset we're losing. I'm upset that this team SUCKS on the whole. Most of the suck comes from personnel moves and mishandled FO moves too. That's on the FO and staff not the players.

I'm shocked that we have a qb that's rated 6th in the league who was supposedly coming in to a young, solid, deep, well built team in its third year and we look worse in many ways than when Shanahan and Allen arrived.

Getting RGIII was the right move. We just don't have the roster to win with him, we gave up too much to get him, and we've no cap space to build quality pieces around him.

OP nice post.

Yes, most everyone here predicted that we would be a losing team this year. Now people got there hopes up when we won our very first game, and Griffin looks like he is the real deal, so people disregarded their earlier thoughts, and had dreams of going to the playoffs. That is what it seems to me.

Yet we knew in the beginning that our offensive line was suspect, as well as our secondary. Some people are saying, well we could have been a playoff contender last year if we were putting up 30 points a game. That is simply not true. If you just went by the numbers, sure, but teams always change up their play-calling when they are up so they can bleed-off the clock. They run the ball more, but as you can see from this year, our run defense is still strong. That primarily deals with your defensive line, linebackers, and strong safety. On the Defensive side of the ball, that is our strength. Now teams, when they are close or behind, will tend to pass more or have a more balanced approach, and like I said, our secondary is suspect. So if we had Griffin last year as well as other pieces on the offensive side of the ball, I still say we would still be playing like we are now.

We all knew that we would not be great, and I for one, was willing to give the Shanahan's time to get rolling; The full 5 years, and I think they are going to need all that time. We need Offensive Line, Secondary, and depth, which we will get in time. It sucks we couldn't try to address these things in the offseason because of the whole "Let's Practice Collusion" fiasco, but we will through the draft. If there wasn't a huge cornerback in the second round next year, I would trade down a few times to get additional picks in the second and third round, and parlay those picks with cornerback, safety, and offensive linemen.

We are who we thought we were. A lot of people just got there hopes up after the first game. No the sky is not falling, you just fell down back to earth. Welcome back.

I, like everybody else, am extremely disappointed in the D. One positive is that they are forcing a decent number of turnovers per game. But the big plays, especially all the third and longs they give up, are inexcusable. Many of us thought losing Landry and Atogwe wouldn't be a big deal, as they were injured for significant parts of last season. Maybe neither guy would have made a difference this season, either. But the defensive rot is so much deeper than just that.

The offense has shown flashes of greatness, but I'm not sold yet. Yes, RGIII is fabulous, but they have to do more to protect him from injury and his teammates need to do more to help him out. Morris has potential, but he's yet to have a 100-yard game. From what I see, he's put in a lot of the effort that has resulted in him gaining as many yards as he has. He also needs support, mainly from the line. As a general observation, though, the team has been forced to punt far too often. Far too often they get into 3rd and long and the conversion rate is poor. Yes, they can get 1st downs on 1st or 2nd down, but when those don't work, they struggle majorly. Yes, they can pull out the big play that goes for a touchdown, yes they can come from behind and level the score, but they also need to be a bit more consistent. Hopefully, that will change as the season goes on. But one thing's for certain: They need Pierre Garcon and Trent Williams back next week and playing for the rest of the season to stand a decent chance.

It's one thing to expect that we are a growing team and will likely not turn the corner yet.

It's another thing when you watch the defense line up in an 8 man front that has no chance of stopping the pass that went for a 300 yard touchdown.

Get beat, fine.

Beat yourself.. WTF?

~Bang

Also, something that should not be overlooked when talking about scoring is that the defense scored 14 points. They also produced an interception leading to a very short field in the Saints game. This doesn't give them much of a reprieve at all, nor should it detract from what the offense has been able to do when it works well, but people do seem to be pinning the ability to score purely on the offense.

I feel I should add though that I do accept that this is the first year of the Redskins under RGIII. Assuming he stays healthy, he should have a long and illustrious career, even if it's not until his third, fourth or fifth season with the team that the players surrounding him are able to give him the support needed for the team to be a dominant one.

I expected with the improvement at QB and the Defense being strong an improvement over last year, 8-8, 9-7. With the D in demise which I didn't foresee I must adapt my expectations and agree this is a losing team. At least with the picks being traded to move up we won't hear from the fans later in the year rooting for losses.

I still wonder why they didn't try to hire Wade Phillips over Haslett. That Texans D is humming in only it's second year in a 3-4. Wade has always had great defenses. We're stuck with a bum. Year 3 and we still suck? C'mon man!

Unfortunately, and I really really really wish it didn't go down like this, but Wade Phillips was fired in the middle of Shanny's first season; we already had Has. :doh: Wade sucks as a HC, but as a DC, the man is a beast. Some would say that the Texans have better talent then us, and that may be true, but I still think this defense shouldn't be this bad.

I predicted 8-8 and I am going to stick to that. I know I just trashed Has, but I think the defense funds a way to only allow 24 ppg for the rest of the year. We should be able to win 7 of those. :fingersx:

Hahaha, this thread delivers.

But I agree with the OP, I predicted 5-11

I predicted 6-10 but I wasn't factoring injuries into the mix. We are going to lose a ton of games. However, I'm not one of those fans who gets angry when we lose. I knew it was coming. I knew our secondary was going to be horrid and I posted about it many times in preseason.

All I can say is that the Shanahan/Allen team has made us deeper, younger, and faster than we were. It's still not helping our cause. :(

I am so sick of hearing this. I am going to be pissed when my team loses. I am going to criticize how they lost. Especially when they have not won anything significant in my lifetime as a fan. I dont care if i expect them to go 0-16. I think we are all fully aware that this team wasnt going to the super bowl, but what should we be like? "Oh hey we lost, but we expected it, so lets just be crappy and wait till next year and be ok with it for the 20th year in a row"? Come on now. This team has consistently taken 1 step forward and 2 steps back. OUr defense is pretty good last year, so we have a totally inepet offense. We draft and aquire free agents to fix offense,defense falls apart to HANDS DOWN the worst defense in the league. I mean, is it even close? Is any team averaging over 30 points against per game? It is totally inept. And its not like we dont have players there. Or maybe I am just thinking too much of these players. Kerrigan, Wilson, Hall, Fletcher, Bowen? We might as well give the other team 7 points each time and hope our offense, with a rookie qb, can hang 40 points a week, or else we have no chance. I mean, this is absurd. 32,31,38? And not against world beaters? The respective records are 0-3, 1-2, 2-1. And the bengals barely beat the soft browns. This team is king of dangling hope as far as they can in front of your nose so that you can see it, you can smell it, but you just cant actually have it. And its not the fault of our rookie qb at all. This offense has maybe 2 turnovers in 3 games, which is pretty awesome for a rookie leading the way.

Btw, i want to add, i can handle losing if it is a competitive game where we dont look totally inept, but we dont. That defense is the worst thing i have ever seen. It is disgusting. How many plays of what, 60 or more yards have happened this year? Because it seems like 2 or 3 a game are happening a game. We go down 24-7. Somehow, the offense ties it. Then the defense goes ahead and gives up 2 of the absolute worst, backbreaking, touchdowns. And we put it all on a rookie qb, who has played out of his mind, to win. With no help. Instead of the defense getting no help, its the offense. THey never, EVER, put together 60 minutes of good football and lose. Its always 25 good minutes and 35 bad, unwatchable minutes. AHHHHHHH!!!!! THey drive me crazy.

End rant

Archived