Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Per @chrisrussel... Gano released cundiff added

Missin Meast

180 yards in penalties.

What would you prefer to do in a game vs new england?

Play to the one strength of your special teams and kick it deep, where Gano has a 50% touchback average, backed up by the number one coverage unit in the league?

Or try to get cute and angle one to the sidelines where you have a better than even chance of giving Tom Brady the ball at the 40?

Guess what we decided to do last year?

~Bang

Again, you see him on the sidelines all the time talking to the HC. It's not like he has the final word on all this, some of these calls are coming from above him.

Neither of us can know who called what in all these game situations. It just seems like if it ever went wrong you're wanting to dump it solely on Danny Smith and no one else.

This is sort of a pointless debate to have because we're just not privy to all the facts of the situation.

I'm not exactly supportive of this move......Gano was younger and much better from 50+. Cundiff has the leg to be a great 50+ kicker, but lacks accuracy at that distance. There is a reason he has been with 9 teams in 12 years.....better not choke us away games

I for one is happy we have Cundiff. Gano has a strong leg but his kicks have no arch, too much of a line drive. That is why he had so many kicks blocked last year. Through the preseason, I don't think there was enough to show he had corrected that problem but it worried me. I would have preferred Rackers but there's a reason he has been on team after team over the last several years.

I don't understand the whole hoopla over bringing in Cundiff. Teams do that all the time, bring kickers in during the preseason, during the season, and during the playoffs. They don't add or subtract from team morale and chemistry. He and the punter are together and away from the rest of the team.

Let's go Billy.

Again, you see him on the sidelines all the time talking to the HC. It's not like he has the final word on all this, some of these calls are coming from above him.

Neither of us can know who called what in all these game situations. It just seems like if it ever went wrong you're wanting to dump it solely on Danny Smith and no one else.

This is sort of a pointless debate to have because we're just not privy to all the facts of the situation.

You're right, we don't know this. All we can do is speculate.

And I'd like to say that I don't just immediately jump on Danny for no reason.

these same multitudes of mistakes have repeated themselves with Gibbs, Zorn, and now Shanahan. It just hasn't gotten better.

At some point the buck has to stop with him.

remember those car care commercials (aamco ,i think) with the monkeys pounding on the transmission with baseball bats?

to me, cutting Rackers, now Gano, and bringing in another new guy is like taking your car BACK to that place again and again.

~Bang

I for one is happy we have Cundiff. Gano has a strong leg but his kicks have no arch, too much of a line drive. That is why he had so many kicks blocked last year. Through the preseason, I don't think there was enough to show he had corrected that problem but it worried me. I would have preferred Rackers but there's a reason he has been on team after team over the last several years.

I don't understand the whole hoopla over bringing in Cundiff. Teams do that all the time, bring kickers in during the preseason, during the season, and during the playoffs. They don't add or subtract from team morale and chemistry. He and the punter are together and away from the rest of the team.

Let's go Billy.

But just so we're clear, do you understand the important of those kickoffs that were directed corner end zone for no return? Also these two kicked the same percentage last year, gano has the better leg, yet 5 of his kicks were blocked and there's a ton of evidence to say that it was actually the middle 3 guys that had problems helping him. He's also like 25 years old vs. Cundiff 32

But just so we're clear, do you understand the important of those kickoffs that were directed corner end zone for no return? Also these two kicked the same percentage last year, gano has the better leg, yet 5 of his kicks were blocked and there's a ton of evidence to say that it was actually the middle 3 guys that had problems helping him. He's also like 25 years old vs. Cundiff 32

I dont think age even matters when its comes to kicking.

Ok, this has knocked me sideways.

Cooley was just a matter of when, however much folk buried their head in the sands in outright denial.

This, this is something else. Happy as all heck to see Gano gone. (No need to rehash that argument.) . But Billy 'career average' Cundiff as his replacement? WOW. Guess we'll STILL be lookign for a new kicker next year regardless.

Hail.

I dont think age even matters when its comes to kicking.

so aside from the fact that "you don't think" what else do you think about this? When it comes to age, I guarantee you power is related in there. The other point is we're now dealing with a PTSD kicker. He missed the afc championship CHIP SHOT. If for some reason the Redskins have an important game and he's kicking, you best believe he'll be ****ting just as much as me. Gano was an untouched kicker. Mentally he was all there.

Why Cundiff? What was wrong with Gano? Didn't Cundiff miss a field goal in the AFC Championship game? Isn't this his 3rd or 4th team? I guess we will find out if it was worth it. When I saw the Rackers signing this summer, then his release, then the Cundiff signing just spelled the end of the line for Gano. But it was kind of a strange day today to see all these releases. Even a shocker in Cooley being released. Oh well. I can see that this team had some hard decisions to make and they made them. At least Cundiff is a little more dependable than Gano even though he missed the game winning FG in the AFC Championship game last year. Gano missed too many of them and that is why I think that the Cundiff signing was made.

Well, I thought that Shanahan's reasons to keep Gano and let Rackers go were a little "off", mentioning that Gano had won the statistical battle in TC. From the reports I read, and no I did not read all, it seemed to me that Rackers was actually doing better. I was relieved when Rackers was released, and we kept Gano as I thought Gano had the better upside, and would improve this season. Looking at the career of Cundiff, and recalling his miss last season in the playoffs....I am not sure this is a upgrade. Guess we will see, but I would have preferred to have kept Gano and let Cundiff go elsewhere.

so aside from the fact that "you don't think" what else do you think about this? When it comes to age, I guarantee you power is related in there. The other point is we're now dealing with a PTSD kicker. He missed the afc championship CHIP SHOT. If for some reason the Redskins have an important game and he's kicking, you best believe he'll be ****ting just as much as me. Gano was an untouched kicker. Mentally he was all there.

With all due respect, Rocky, you really don't think that those 5 blocks last year, whether cause solely by the the Special Teams protection or not, had any effect on Gano? Yes, Cundiff missed a chip shot in the AFC championship game, but that is just as much on Harbaugh and his staff for not tracking the situation on their own and not calling a time out. I would expect a 32 year old veteran to shake off that miss more than I'd expect a 25 year old kid to regain complete confidence that his next non-PAT kick wouldn't be blocked. Gano had a 2+ seasons to prove himself. If he'd made the most of it in the eyes of the coaches, we aren't having this conversation. Just my $0.02

Your right, I should have been more clear. I know that age doesnt matter when it comes to kicking field goals based on what I have seen over the years in the NFL. There are good young kickers as well as good old kickers and every kicker seems to have a certain strength they bring to the table. The rest of your points are solid so dont really have anything to debate although Gano always seemed to kick the ball out of bounds late in the game when we couldnt afford it.

Why Cundiff? What was wrong with Gano? Didn't Cundiff miss a field goal in the AFC Championship game? Isn't this his 3rd or 4th team? I guess we will find out if it was worth it. When I saw the Rackers signing this summer, then his release, then the Cundiff signing just spelled the end of the line for Gano. But it was kind of a strange day today to see all these releases. Even a shocker in Cooley being released. Oh well. I can see that this team had some hard decisions to make and they made them. At least Cundiff is a little more dependable than Gano even though he missed the game winning FG in the AFC Championship game last year. Gano missed too many of them and that is why I think that the Cundiff signing was made.

I agree with you about Gano. He was a weekly heart attack waiting to happen. Cundff is more accurate inside 45 years, where a majority of kicks are attempted. Point of clarification though: Cundiff's miss vs. the Patriots would have tied the game.

Archived