Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Per @chrisrussel... Gano released cundiff added

Missin Meast

We fired Keenan because he didn't do his job and replaced him with Ike Hillard.

We replaced Slowik with Raheem, then made Slowik the linebackers coach, pretty much because he couldn't screw that part of the team up with London there. If Spanos was still here though, Slow would be gone.

Hell, the only reason Haslett is still here is because Spanos went to UCLA.

I don't know what Danny Smith has, but going through kickers and punters the way we have suggests something other than "they must all suck".

It seems multiple Super Bowl winning coaches disagree with you.

From everything I've read your opinion of him isn't the same as people who actually run NFL franchises. Maybe you know better, maybe not. It just doesn't look like he's on his way out.

Holy crap.. PLEASE show me ONE SHRED of evidence to bck this up. it's not like you can't go look up everything they can go look up.

PLEASE go look over the stats in every special teams category for the last seven straight seasons.

PLEASE go show yourself why that isn't a reason to not get rid of a BAD COACH.

5 kickers.

8 years.

Our special teams have done ONE thing halfway decent in the last seven years, and it'/s cover kickoffs. (it is also the thning we've done the fewest number of times.)

Other than that ONE aspect of teams, every other stat category is DISMAL.

Oh, and here's a tip. Coaches LIE. tired of hearing how much they all love and respect him.

Ask yourself one simple question:

Why is it NO ONE has ever made an attempt to actually offer Danny Smith a better job if he's so good?

He's on the BOTTOM RUNG for coordinators. Pretty much ANY move is a step up. He's BEEN on this bottom rung for nearly TEN YEARS.

and yet no one comes' callin' .... they just like to tell you how good he is... in your house.. screwing up your game.

~Bang

Also, Gano's trajectory on some of those blocked field goals wasn't as good as people make it out to be. A few were not his fault. I will concede that. But his trajectory was never great.

It would be easier to agree with you if the blocks hadn't come from defenders that had clearly broken through the the Redskins line. Watch the Bills absolutely destroy an entire side of the protection:

Check out Red Bryant get behind the entire line TWICE in one game to block two short kicks:

---------- Post added August-28th-2012 at 12:53 PM ----------

It amuses me to see so many lament a kicker that everyone was swearing at last year...

Probably has more to do with Cundiff, and his failures, than it does with Graham Gano.

Not sure if they had any timeouts. But what would be funny is, if Cundiff kicks a 55 yarder to beat the Ravens 23-20 this season.

They did have a timeout. Harbaugh botched the situation as much as anybody.

When Ravens coach John Harbaugh was asked why he didn't signal for a timeout, he answered, "That's something we'll have to look at."

This is a pretty good read about the kick and the situation in general: http://deadspin.com/5878329/what-went-wrong-on-billy-cundiffs-missed-kick

Not to exonerate Cundiff, but the play itself looked threatened, if not doomed, from the outset. With the play clock at 10 seconds and ticking, I was stunned, like others, to see Cundiff racing onto the field. I haven't talked to him or seen an explanation for the delay. It's possible that Cundiff normally trots out a bit later than the rest of the field-goal unit. But this looked extreme. Cundiff was running pretty hard to get into position, and the ball was snapped as the play clock expired. You rarely see that on field goals. Then, unsurprisingly and definitely unconsciously, Cundiff rushed. When a kicker rushes, he rotates his hips too quickly, and when he rotates his hips too quickly his leg pushes the ball in the direction of the rotation. In this case, to the left. New England wins, 23-20.

Holy crap.. PLEASE show me ONE SHRED of evidence to bck this up.

PLEASE go look over the stats in every special teams category for the last seven straight seasons.

PLEASE go show yourself why that isn't a reason to not get rid of a BAD COACH.

5 kickers.

8 years.

Our special teams have done ONE thing halfway decent in the last seven years, and it'/s over kickoffs.

Other than thatr ONE aspect of teams, every other stat category is DISMAL.

~Bang

You fail to take something very important into account.

The man chews gum AND screams a lot. He's a rare talent among special teams coaches.

lol

It would be easier to agree with you if the blocks hadn't come from defenders that clearly broken through the the Redskins blockers. Watch the Bills absolutely destroy an entire side of the protection:

As I said. A few were not his fault. You didn't add anything I didn't already concede.

As I said. A few were not his fault. You didn't add anything I didn't already concede.

A question.

If his trajectory can be blamed for some of those blocks, IS this a correctable problem, and is 2 years enough time to teach a kicker how to get more air under the ball?

~Bang

A question.

If his trajectory can be blamed for some of those blocks, IS this a correctable problem, and is 2 years enough time to teach a kicker how to get more air under the ball?

~Bang

Bang,

You ARE aware that I'm on the fire Danny Smith bandwagon, right?

He and Gano both weren't very good, in my opinion.

Bang,

You ARE aware that I'm on the fire Danny Smith bandwagon, right?

He and Gano both weren't very good, in my opinion.

I know you are.. I'm more asking so others can see the answer.

I like Gano. i think his leg is very strong and like all young players he could use some development, for sure. I think we just let a good one get away.

~Bang

‏@espn_nfceast

On Redskins' kickers: Past 2 years, 53.8 pct of Cundiff's KOs have been touchbacks. Gano, 27.8 percent.

HUGE HUGE Factor.

Why? Gano was getting touchbacks last year, just like every other kicker did, because of the stupid rule change. Unless they're reversing this rule change, I don't see 2010 stats as being all that relevant in regards to future kickoffs.

"AND GRIFFIN WITH A 44-YARD COMPLETION TO PIERRE GARCON! And the Redskins call their final time-out with 12 seconds left on the clock! Robert Griffin III has led his team back from the brink of disaster and has gotten his team in field goal range! And now Billy Cundiff comes onto the field to win the game for the Redskins with a 49 yard field goal attempt!"

Tell me a lie and tell me you believe for a freaking second that Cundiff has a better shot of making that kick than Gano. Given the evidence and what we know about Cundiff, do you think Cundiff makes the kick?

I know for damn sure Gano would miss and we would all be saying "GANNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO"

(Oh, and here's a tip. Coaches LIE.

Why is it NO ONE has ever made an attempt to actually offer Danny Smith a better job if he's so good?

The one counter point that sticks out is that Redskins coaches seem to like the guy. Spurrier, Gibbs, Zorn, and Shanahan have all shown their support by allowing him to coach their special teams units. I am not qualified to say that those men were all wrong.

What I can say however is that the results of the kicking game have been bad. They've been bad for a long time despite different kickers, general managers, and head coaches.

Cundiff is good at touchbacks I admit.

Graham Gano is good at actually kicking field goals (when the protection is there, unless you want to surmise he'll miss all those sub-40 yard kicks he had blocked) and considering his leg, the touchback percentage is highly misleading (as if Danny Smith wanted him to, Gano could boot it to the nosebleed seats)

This is a horribly stupid move.

Graham Gano is probably a top 15 kicker RIGHT NOW (again, unless we're gonna assume he can't make 4/5 field goals, 4 of them under 40 yards, and one at 49 yards which is easily within his range) and will only get better.

And even if you argue that Gano is a "choker" for missing a kick that is 50/50 for any kicker, Cundiff literally kicked his team out of the Super Bowl.

Why? Gano was getting touchbacks last year, just like every other kicker did, because of the stupid rule change. Unless they're reversing this rule change, I don't see 2010 as being all that relevant in regards to kickoffs.

They're not. In fact there's the beginning of talk among owners to do away with kickoffs altogether and start drives at the 25.

~Bang

Ask yourself one simple question:

I already pointed out in this thread that John Fox (can we agree he's well respected?) tried to recruit Smith to go with him to Denver most recently.

I know you are.. I'm more asking so others can see the answer.

I like Gano. i think his leg is very strong and like all young players he could use some development, for sure. I think we just let a good one get away.

~Bang

Yes. It's correctable. That said, it's only correctable if the coach and player can both work together to correct it. I don't have faith in Gano or Smith. The only thing positive I have seen anyone say about Gano is he has a strong leg.

I don't think this move will really benefit or hurt us (should help a lot in the touchback department at least). With Gano, I always hoped he would make his kicks but expected the worst. It's just a thing I have grown accustom to with Redskins Kickers for a long time now, and i'm sure it will not change with Cundiff either.

Archived