Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Per @chrisrussel... Gano released cundiff added

Missin Meast

Tell me a lie and tell me you believe for a freaking second that Cundiff has a better shot of making that kick than Gano. Given the evidence and what we know about Cundiff, do you think Cundiff makes the kick?

I'd rather have the guy that will make the 37 yard field goal in the second quarter at a higher percentage.

Sure, Gano is better at 49+ but how many of those do we attempt compared to chip shots that Cundiff is better at? The stats aren't in Gano's favor.

"AND GRIFFIN WITH A 44-YARD COMPLETION TO PIERRE GARCON! And the Redskins call their final time-out with 12 seconds left on the clock! Robert Griffin III has led his team back from the brink of disaster and has gotten his team in field goal range! And now Billy Cundiff comes onto the field to win the game for the Redskins with a 49 yard field goal attempt!"

Tell me a lie and tell me you believe for a freaking second that Cundiff has a better shot of making that kick than Gano. Given the evidence and what we know about Cundiff, do you think Cundiff makes the kick?

We are only in this position because of the 39 yard kick Gano missed in the second quarter. I'll take Condiff for the whole game and hope it doesn't one down o a 50+ at the end.

Are we still talking about a kicker?

Oh well, the kicking carousel continues.. But unless Danny Smith figures out how to get his teams to protect, it's not going to matter who's shanking kicks, they'll all have zero confidence, be worried about everything but making the kick and we'll still lose multiple games due to special teams.. IMO the problem is Danny Smith.. He's the common denominator that continues to have a job year after year..

What stats are telling you he is a good ST coach? Or is that your opinion?

In 2011, Smith’s special teams unit ranked first in the NFC in kick return average allowed (20.8 yards) for the second consecutive season. Additionally, the unit ranked fifth in the NFC in opponents’ average starting position (21.8-yard line on kickoffs).

Also, can people please stop bringing up David Akers. It's a terrible comparison and makes absolutely no sense.

David Akers played *one* (A SINGLE) game for the Redskins, meanwhile Gano was here for 3 years and played in 36 games.

It hasn't just been Akers, it seems like there is a trend where we think a young kicker is no good and release him, someone else picks him up and ends up making them their regular kicker. Nick Novak is in San Diego, Shaun Suisham wasn't good enough for us but Pittsburgh likes him just fine.

well, he was a pro bowler, and has a great percentage... but why did he get released by the Ravens?

He doesn't have a great percentage, he's a 75.7% kicker. He had one good year where he was basically never called on to ever make a hard kick. He missed 9 kicks in 2011, all from distance, with no blocks.

He got cut for the same reason they got rid of Lee Evans. You don't get do-overs when you contribute to losing a conference championship game.

Actually, yes he is better than Gano. I just checked the stats. Gano at 68.5% completion for field goals is dead last in the NFL. Ranked 32nd. He IS the worst kicker in the NFL. Sorry.

Also, the Redskins ST is ranked 13th in the NFL which is not nearly as bad as I thought. So, if the Redskins had a decent kicker, maybe they would have placed higher. Maybe it was just that Gano was bad. -And not the coach.?

What stats did you check because they certainly aren't last seasons. In 2011:

Billy Cundiff ranked 31st 75.6% (28/37, 0 blocked)

Graham Gano ranked 32nd with 75.5% (31/41, 5 blocked)

I'm not sure I like the addition of Cundiff... IIRC he was the kicker that failed the Cowboys several times as well.

With this many Extremeskins poster against the move, it might be the best move possible.

I'm still reading but had to pause here and give BK his dues :ols:

I had just been thinking how fun it usually is to read the first few pages of a thread/move like this where almost everyone is peeing all over themselves, and then (in most cases) you'll see some material introduced pages later that present some sort of rationale (reasonable and still intelligently debatable, generally) for the move, and then (often) by the end of the thread things are more settled, even if disagreement remains (when doesn't it? :pfft:).

It's like watching a well-known three act play, or a familiar dance. I can't wait to get to the end again! :D

I think the touchbacks reason was big, the insides the 50 stat was pertinent, and that Shanahan et al are pretty sure Cundiff has more left in the tank. On the other hand, I thought Gano's being young suggested he could get better (upside) but the coaches have him plenty long enough to make up their mind. As always, time will tell. It's no big deal to me cuz I'm not a Gano fan or a hater. I think Cundiff gives us an improvement if he's healthy enough. His long-range kicks are less important to me in winning throughout a season then the other two areas I mentioned.

well, he was a pro bowler, and has a great percentage... but why did he get released by the Ravens?

The rookie that they have in there performed well, but was also a lot cheaper. I think it was one of those things that when you have two good options, go with the cheaper one.

There was also this:

Tucker was the team's kicker for the entire third preseason game, leaving Cundiff standing on the sidelines. While Harbaugh cautioned the media not to read too much into that, it certainly was a telling decision.

Cundiff probably didn't help matters when he sounded off following the game, saying he did everything asked of him and would be happy to take his talents elsewhere. After possibly costing the team a trip to the Super Bowl last year because he hooked a chip-shot field goal almost to the sideline, that probably didn't sit well with the coaching staff.

http://www.examiner.com/article/ravens-cut-cundiff-o-s-rained-out-trade-for-saunders

And in my opinion, Cundiff was not the only person to blame for missing that field goal in the playoffs last year. He should have made the kick and the miss will be what will be remembered, but it was very rushed because of the clock running down and moron Harbaugh not calling a time out. I was happy when he missed it, but it was not entirely his fault. The situation probably would have been different if they called a timeout. Oh well, what's done is done.

It seems like Billy is fired up and motivated. Let's show Baltimore that they made a big mistake.

"AND GRIFFIN WITH A 44-YARD COMPLETION TO PIERRE GARCON! And the Redskins call their final time-out with 12 seconds left on the clock! Robert Griffin III has led his team back from the brink of disaster and has gotten his team in field goal range! And now Billy Cundiff comes onto the field to win the game for the Redskins with a 49 yard field goal attempt!"

Conversely, I don't change over to the NBC game and automatically assume that Gano makes it, either...

This is a total overreaction. By a mile.

From 40-49, Gano the last three years was 19/25. 76%.

From 40-49, Cundiff the last two years was 14/17. 82%.

I don't understand why everyone is so high on Gano. Because he was young and he was a Redskin? There is no question he had a great power leg on field goals, but he didn't kick the ball as well on kickoffs as Cundiff does and he's more inaccurate from inside 50 yards than Cundiff.

Using the last two years as an example. From inside 50 yards Cundiff is 53/59. 53/59. That's 89.8%.

Gano was 51/67. That's 76%.

The only thing Gano has on Cundiff is a better long distance field goal leg on attempts of over 50 yards.

Also, Gano's trajectory on some of those blocked field goals wasn't as good as people make it out to be. A few were not his fault. I will concede that. But his trajectory was never great.

It hasn't just been Akers, it seems like there is a trend where we think a young kicker is no good and release him, someone else picks him up and ends up making them their regular kicker. Nick Novak is in San Diego, Shaun Suisham wasn't good enough for us but Pittsburgh likes him just fine.

Since we finally cut him in 2006, Nick Novak has played for (in this order) Chicago Bears, Cologne Centurions, Kansas City Chiefs, San Diego Chargers, Florida Tuskers, New York Jets and is now back with the Chargers, yet again. I wouldn't bring him up as a model of how well kickers do after leaving. :)

Shaun Suisham went to the Cowboys and then got cut and ended up with the Steelers at the end of 2010 and into 2011. In his only full season with the Steelers he was a 74.2% kicker, near the bottom of the league.

The one thing I will say about the Cundiff miss in the playoffs is, they whole team was confused about the down and whether or not they were going to kick it. The whole thing was rushed. They could have taken the delay of game penalty and I think he hits it from 37 to tie the game.

Just curious, but who would you replace him with exactly? It's easy to fire someone, but you need to do it knowing there is a better option you can get.

I'm not going to bother arguing with people over Danny Smith, but let's say we let him go. Is there very good coach available right now? Someone out of college maybe?

(I'm not being sarcastic, quite serious)

How about the Steelers special teams coach let go two weeks ago?

How about promoting another assistant?

how about the guy selling ice cream outside the zoo?

Anyone.

fear of replacing a bad coach should never exist.

Whoever it is literally can't be worse..

~Bang

The one thing I will say about the Cundiff miss in the playoffs is, they whole team was confused about the down and whether or not they were going to kick it. The whole thing was rushed. They could have taken the delay of game penalty and I think he hits it from 37 to tie the game.

Exactly. I blame Harbaugh as much as Cundiff there. Take the delay of game or use the timeout you have in your pocket, but don't try and do what they did.

And in my opinion, Cundiff was not the only person to blame for missing that field goal in the playoffs last year. He should have made the kick and the miss will be what will be remembered, but it was very rushed because of the clock running down and moron Harbaugh not calling a time out. I was happy when he missed it, but it was not entirely his fault. The situation probably would have been different if they called a timeout. Oh well, what's done is done.

It seems like Billy is fired up and motivated. Let's show Baltimore that they made a big mistake.

Not sure if they had any timeouts. But what would be funny is, if Cundiff kicks a 55 yarder to beat the Ravens 23-20 this season.

Anyone.

fear of replacing a bad coach should never exist.

Whoever it is literally can't be worse..

~Bang

It seems multiple Super Bowl winning coaches disagree with you.

From everything I've read your opinion of him isn't the same as people who actually run NFL franchises. Maybe you know better, maybe not. It just doesn't look like he's on his way out.

Archived