Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Per @chrisrussel... Gano released cundiff added

Missin Meast

You guys are too funny.

Yesterday its a ****fest that we kept Gano.

Today is a ***** fest that we cut him.

Extremebipolar.

I was thinking the EXACT same thing. This might be one of the most interesting threads I've ever seen. Especially after yesterday's thread for Rackers being cut.

Billy Cundiff?

The dude who choked and cost the Ravens OT and a shot at the SB?

I love him. Great work there Billy. Anything to screw over the Stolen Browns is a good thing. I have no problem paying his salary for a year as a reward.

As for Gano, the ONLY reason anyone gives a damn about him getting cut is because of David Akers back in 1998 and not because of what Gano has done on the field.

thing is, if the RG doesn't get bowled over and get 5 FGs blocked last year, Gano is a top ten kicker in terms of percentage.

With those 5 blocks he's like 27th.

But yeah, it's the kicker again.

~Bang

Not at all. Not blaming the kicker here. Yes Gano didn't cut it and he was one of the worst on rankings etc... but I agree with you. Smith is to blame. ST has been a joke for years. He is the coach and in charge of developing the kickers and ST players. He is not doing his job. Get rid of D. Smith.

Short, sweet, and absolutely correct.

---------- Post added August-28th-2012 at 10:47 AM ----------

I think that may be going a little overboard.

You may be right, but in my defense, my wife and best friend are Ravens fans and I watched every Redskins and every Raven game. The one thing we could all agree on was cundiff sucked. And furthermore, I am an FSU alum. I also liked the idea of having a young kicker and young team to gel together. So forgive me but I was so thrilled yesterday when we cut Rackers and this news today really pissed me off, sorry.

But I will get over it, think this team will be fun to watch.

HTTR!

>cut 76% career young kicker with an amazing leg

>sign 75% old kicker with a mediocre leg who's a choke-artist

great plan guys

easily the second worst move of the shanny regime

So we have drawn absolute conclusions before he has played a game for the Redskins?

---------- Post added August-28th-2012 at 12:12 PM ----------

what was Gano's excuse in 2010 when he had only one kick blocked and still had a 68.6% percentage?

Good question.

---------- Post added August-28th-2012 at 12:15 PM ----------

Also, can people please stop bringing up David Akers. It's a terrible comparison and makes absolutely no sense.

David Akers played *one* (A SINGLE) game for the Redskins, meanwhile Gano was here for 3 years and played in 36 games.

I wish that would happen, but it never will.

Bang, You're right on! Special teams for the 'skins is awful. One of the worst in the NFL I believe. I haven't checked that stat for a while now. But Gano was also nearing the bottom on rankings of kickers last I checked. Not one team in the NFL fear Gano or his leg.

What team in the NFL fears any kicker? Yea Janikowski can kick but his team sucks so who fears him?

Danny Smith is a good special teams coach so I dont know what stats you've been checking

Just curious, but who would you replace him with exactly? It's easy to fire someone, but you need to do it knowing there is a better option you can get.

I'm not going to bother arguing with people over Danny Smith, but let's say we let him go. Is there very good coach available right now? Someone out of college maybe?

(I'm not being sarcastic, quite serious)

Obviously on the eve of the current season I would not make the change, but I would seriously look into making a change after this season if our special teams continue to play poorly.

>cut 76% career young kicker with an amazing leg

>sign 75% old kicker with a mediocre leg who's a choke-artist

great plan guys

easily the second worst move of the shanny regime

If cutting a kicker is the 2nd worst decision shanny makes i think the skins will be ok. Wow it is a kicker.

What team in the NFL fears any kicker? Yea Janikowski can kick but his team sucks so who fears him?

Danny Smith is a good special teams coach so I dont know what stats you've been checking

What stats are telling you he is a good ST coach? Or is that your opinion?

"AND GRIFFIN WITH A 44-YARD COMPLETION TO PIERRE GARCON! And the Redskins call their final time-out with 12 seconds left on the clock! Robert Griffin III has led his team back from the brink of disaster and has gotten his team in field goal range! And now Billy Cundiff comes onto the field to win the game for the Redskins with a 49 yard field goal attempt!"

Tell me a lie and tell me you believe for a freaking second that Cundiff has a better shot of making that kick than Gano. Given the evidence and what we know about Cundiff, do you think Cundiff makes the kick?

If we didn't want Gano to get the job, we should've given it to Rackers.

Cundiff is average. Last year he had a 75.7 field goal percentage. Gano had a 75.6. Yeah, real big ****ing upgrade there, folks. Cundiff has a career average 76.7% field goal percentage. He had ONE ****ING YEAR when he has a percentage above that in 2010, and then he went back to sucking and helped contribute to his team losing a potential Super Bow berth.

But let's pretend that this is great just because Gano is gone, because CLEARLY replacing a young growing kicker with a guy who has either been mediocre or straight up sucked for the majority of his career has been an upgrade.

People are ****ing stupid.

There was a time when I enjoyed reading your posts and insight. But now it seems like you do a lot of yelling, cursing and name calling. It isn't necessary. You make good points, go with that and leave out the yelling and name calling. It's a lot easier for someone to see your perspective if they don't think your insulting or being condescending towards them.

I'm really not trying to pile on here, but I have to agree with this.

NLC, I know you have your own style and you can post however you want to post, but geez man, every other post you make lately you're calling someone a dumbass or talking about how "****ing stupid" people are. I know there's a lot of clueless people out there, but often times your posts are so condescending and downright offensive that your good points get lost.

Tone it down a little man. And this is coming from someone who enjoys your perspective.

-Cheers

"AND GRIFFIN WITH A 44-YARD COMPLETION TO PIERRE GARCON! And the Redskins call their final time-out with 12 seconds left on the clock! Robert Griffin III has led his team back from the brink of disaster and has gotten his team in field goal range! And now Billy Cundiff comes onto the field to win the game for the Redskins with a 49 yard field goal attempt!"

Tell me a lie and tell me you believe for a freaking second that Cundiff has a better shot of making that kick than Gano. Given the evidence and what we know about Cundiff, do you think Cundiff makes the kick?

Actually, yes he is better than Gano. I just checked the stats. Gano at 68.5% completion for field goals is dead last in the NFL. Ranked 32nd. He IS the worst kicker in the NFL. Sorry.

Also, the Redskins ST is ranked 13th in the NFL which is not nearly as bad as I thought. So, if the Redskins had a decent kicker, maybe they would have placed higher. Maybe it was just that Gano was bad. -And not the coach.?

Considering I barely trusted Gano to make game-tying extra points, I'd rather have Cundiff taking the kick

Maybe I have a more faith in Gano from 49, but I have a lot more faith in Cundiff from 18-45 yards...where the majority of your kicks are going to come from. You can't just base your decision on who has the better chance to make long field goals. The grand majority of kicks are not long ones.

Archived