Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Per @chrisrussel... Gano released cundiff added

Missin Meast

If we didn't want Gano to get the job, we should've given it to Rackers.

Cundiff is average. Last year he had a 75.7 field goal percentage. Gano had a 75.6. Yeah, real big ****ing upgrade there, folks. Cundiff has a career average 76.7% field goal percentage. He had ONE ****ING YEAR when he has a percentage above that in 2010, and then he went back to sucking and helped contribute to his team losing a potential Super Bow berth.

But let's pretend that this is great just because Gano is gone, because CLEARLY replacing a young growing kicker with a guy who has either been mediocre or straight up sucked for the majority of his career has been an upgrade.

People are ****ing stupid.

Y

Well, if a special teams coach has no say in whether or not his kicker stays, then WHY IS HE HERE?

Honestly, what does he DO if not this?

~Bang

Shanahan makes the final decision on who stays and goes on offense and defense, too. So why not cut the entire ****ing coaching staff? I presume Smith had some input. But the final decision was Michael Shanahan....not Danny Smith. Smith has verbally supported Gano regularly. Shanahan has regularly expressed frustration with Gano and the kicking game. My two cents is on Shanahan making this decision, not Smith

Our STs units consistently rank in the top of the league in covering kicks. Our punting and kicking routinely rank in the bottom of the league. He has tried how many punters and kickers over the last 8 years? Yeah, he obviously has nothing to do with that.

Interestingly, in the last 7 years wer'e also one of the worst teams in scoring, so we kickoff fewer times.

Gano averaged nearly 50% touchbacks last year, and when they did come out, the one thing Smith's charges can do is cover a kickoff.

but in every other special teams statistic there is, we're not just bad, we're bottom feeders. EVERY one.

Punting, returns, penalties. Bottom feeders.

But it's the kicker again.

~Bang

Our STs units consistently rank in the top of the league in covering kicks. Our punting and kicking routinely rank in the bottom of the league. He has tried how many punters and kickers over the last 8 years? Yeah, he obviously has nothing to do with that.

Since we all know he has final say on all personnel decisions that makes perfect since.

Look, I know his opinion counts but there are multiple people above him that make moves. We can't/don't know what his choices have been and what have came from the HC/GM. I'm not saying he's perfect but he's had other teams try and steal him away when his contract has expired in the past. John Fox tried to get him to leave and go to Denver most recently and he turned it down.

I'm just saying the idea that he's a bum only exists on this forum, from all accounts he has a great reputation throughout the league.

He's 89% the last 4 years, with no season below 84%.

What makes you say he's lost it? What are you basing that on?

His leg just looks weaker to me. I know he kicked that 54 yarder and it had the distance, but I think maybe his inability to put the ball in the endzone on kickoffs may have something to do with my perception of his leg strength.

Bang, You're right on! Special teams for the 'skins is awful. One of the worst in the NFL I believe. I haven't checked that stat for a while now. But Gano was also nearing the bottom on rankings of kickers last I checked. Not one team in the NFL fear Gano or his leg.

100% disagree. Sebastian Janikowski, David Akers, Morton Andersen, Jason Elam, Matt Stover, and Adam Vinatieri all had statistically worse seasons than Graham Gano at 24 years old. Every single one of them developed over time (some of them into Hall of Fame kickers).

Just because kickers move around teams like assistant coaches doesn't mean that they <i>should</i> be doing that; it just means that teams have a lack of foresight with regards to developing a player at that spot.

Gano's career is far from over. I for one will have an eye on how he develops a year or two down the road, especially if Cundiff doesn't pan out.

you've named like 6 kickers. I'm pretty most teams are fine going with a consistent vet year to year.

I'm admittedly too lazy (college starts soon and I'm not ready to start researching **** again lol) to find numbers but I'm going off sight

OK, how about this, seven of the top 14 leading scorers in the NFL last season were kickers that were undrafted. Is that better? My point is that it does not mean much when someone says "OMG Cundiff must suck because they replaced him with an undrafted rookie!!!!!"

There are a lot of good undrafted rookie kickers in the NFL. It happens fairly often. So the fact that he was replaced by a UDFA does not mean much. They are also cheaper, which I know was a consideration for the Ravens.

Arguing the point that undrafted kickers BECOME top kickers as veterans doesn't prove anything at all. We're talking about how good that kicker is as a rookie, not where he wound up years down the line. Like a guy like Rob Bironas was undrafted, but it was 3 years of kicking in the AFL before he made it to the NFL. Matt Bryant went to NFL Europe first. Robbie Gould's another guy that was undrafted that bounced around before he stuck. Kickers more often than not, have to get their kicking legs under them before they really become worthwhile. But teams aren't gonna throw games away while they figure it out, so they figure it out elsewhere. My point being, undrafted rookie kickers don't usually stick around as rookies. So there aren't a lot of good undrafted rookie kickers, there's just a lot of undrafted kickers. There's a difference.

If we didn't want Gano to get the job, we should've given it to Rackers.

Cundiff is average. Last year he had a 75.7 field goal percentage. Gano had a 75.6. Yeah, real big ****ing upgrade there, folks. Cundiff has a career average 76.7% field goal percentage. He had ONE ****ING YEAR when he has a percentage above that in 2010, and then he went back to sucking and helped contribute to his team losing a potential Super Bow berth.

But let's pretend that this is great just because Gano is gone, because CLEARLY replacing a young growing kicker with a guy who has either been mediocre or straight up sucked for the majority of his career has been an upgrade.

People are ****ing stupid.

There was a time when I enjoyed reading your posts and insight. But now it seems like you do a lot of yelling, cursing and name calling. It isn't necessary. You make good points, go with that and leave out the yelling and name calling. It's a lot easier for someone to see your perspective if they don't think your insulting or being condescending towards them.

Shanahan makes the final decision on who stays and goes on offense and defense, too. So why not cut the entire ****ing coaching staff? I presume Smith had some input. But the final decision was Michael Shanahan....not Danny Smith. Smith has verbally supported Gano regularly. Shanahan has regularly expressed frustration with Gano and the kicking game. My two cents is on Shanahan making this decision, not Smith

If this was the first stupid decision our special teams have made, ok.

but it's not.

5 kickers, 8 years, always near the bottom in FG%.

Always.

shanahan should do himself a favor and get rid of the person who is supposed to be coaching these players.. he is an obvious failure. His players indicate it.

Here he is once again, in week 4 of the preseason deciding that the kicker is not going to cut it.

Shanahan, Smith, friggin' Bugs Bunny,, it doesn't matter who is making it,,, the fact they're making it again, NOW, should say a lot about the coach of these players.

If you had an OL coach who's OL consistently failed you'd replace him. if you had a receivers coach who's players continually dropped passes, and then the players you replace them with drop passes,, you'd get rid of the coach

I have no idea why Smith has such immunity.

All he has on his track record is failure.

~Bang

Bang, You're right on! Special teams for the 'skins is awful. One of the worst in the NFL I believe. I haven't checked that stat for a while now. But Gano was also nearing the bottom on rankings of kickers last I checked. Not one team in the NFL fear Gano or his leg.

thing is, if the RG doesn't get bowled over and get 5 FGs blocked last year, Gano is a top ten kicker in terms of percentage.

With those 5 blocks he's like 27th.

But yeah, it's the kicker again.

~Bang

This. How this man still has a job is beyond me. He can teach how to cover a kickoff and punt, but his return game is HORRENDOUS (Banks makes him look good, look at all the KO/P with everybody else). We should have **** canned this guy 3 years ago and signed Bobby April.

Supposedly Cundiff has a better leg on kickoffs for touchbacks. It will be REAL interesting to see if the genious Danny Smith has him kick a "directional" kick tomorrow or just let's him boom it out of the endzone.

---------- Post added August-28th-2012 at 12:04 PM ----------

Because he is one of the best ST coaches in the league?

The "I hate Danny Smith" crowd is tired at this point. The stats are in his favor and if we fired him he would have multiple offers by the next morning.

Good. Let him go. I'll take my chances.

Also, can people please stop bringing up David Akers. It's a terrible comparison and makes absolutely no sense.

David Akers played *one* (A SINGLE) game for the Redskins, meanwhile Gano was here for 3 years and played in 36 games.

That doesn't go with the "sky is falling" theme though...

Also, that happened in '98 I believe. Jeez, people

Danny Smith strikes again.

I wish i could say i was surprised. But really, when he does something this patently stupid, it's simply par for the course.

What a clown move. really .. Our special teams coach is a ****ing joke, and downright embarrassing.

And his 8 year long search for a kicker continues as it always has... stabbing in the dark.. cerratto style.

~Bang

Wow that was pretty cold wouldn't you say? Funny yes but damn cold....can I now pick my face up now off the floor from laughing so hard......:ols:

Look last year, we have that amazing comeback against Dallas at home. Rex leads us back, we are toe to toe with them. We tie it with seconds left in the game. We get the ball in OT drive down the field line up for the winning FG. And Gano, whom everyone is lamenting around here blows the damn kick. No wind, no weather, no bad snap, no blocks. Just shanked the damn ball.

You do realize the kick was from 52 yards. 50/50 chance with most kickers in the league. Oh and that's your buddy Danny Smith calling directional kicks when he can kick it out of the back of the endzone.

thing is, if the RG doesn't get bowled over and get 5 FGs blocked last year, Gano is a top ten kicker in terms of percentage.

~Bang

granted, I understand your hate for Danny Smith because I have no clue how he has survived so many different regimes but that statement is assuming that Gano would make those kicks...

Good. Let him go. I'll take my chances.

Just curious, but who would you replace him with exactly? It's easy to fire someone, but you need to do it knowing there is a better option you can get.

I'm not going to bother arguing with people over Danny Smith, but let's say we let him go. Is there very good coach available right now? Someone out of college maybe?

(I'm not being sarcastic, quite serious)

~Bang

Are you assuming he makes all 5? That's a big assumption for someone with the consistency record of Gano...

Archived