Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Per @chrisrussel... Gano released cundiff added

Missin Meast

Gano has cost us many games because of missing easy field goals early or late in games. Look back at the games lost the last few seasons and we have lost many by 2 or 3 points, and in many of those losses, Gano has missed at least one field goal. Our coaches see and know things that us fans don't, and it's obvious they feel we are a better team with Cundiff than with Gano.

Exactly. Heck, I even saw what the coaches saw, a guy who missed FGs he should've made. People are just worried that Gano is going to be the next Akers for another team. If that happens, then that's just the way it is. We have to go by what he's done for us, not what he might do for another team.

:ols:

I have a feeling it has to do with trajectory. I know that sounds ridiculous, but just stay with me for a second. If over 50% of Cundiff's kickoffs end in touchbacks (27% of Gano's), I'd guess that a large part of that is because he kicks at a higher angle, allowing the ST guys to get down to the end zone closer to when the ball is caught (because I don't think any kicker kicks over 50% of their kickoffs through the back of the end zone).

If that's the case, then it makes sense on FGs too, especially when we've had problems with blocked kicks. If he gets the ball vertical more quickly than Gano, then that means less of them are blocked.

Some more comparisons, Gano's career FG% 73.8, Cundiff's 76.7. Cundiff has missed 1 XP in 201 attempts, Gano has missed 2 in 61. Cundiff had 44 touchbacks last year and 40 the year before that, Gano had 32 last year and 9 the year before.

This is all, of course, total horse **** until someone clarifies it, and I'm just trying to make some sense of things because I was as baffled as everyone else. But, let's hope for the best. At least I won't be nervous EVERY time the kicker is on the field (XPs included).

Nice analysis Jflow. Yeah, I picked the wrong morning to sleep in, lol. Woke up to a ****storm. Personally, I was getting tired of the "He's younger and has alot of upside" argument when it came to the PK position.

Looks loke our staff felt the same way after their head-shed meeting. I've gotta say that there is little this front office has done to cause me 'Vinny-type' worry the last 2+ yrs, and I will go with my gut that this is the best choice.

Ravens are just a bunch of thugs anyway. Welcome to D.C. Billy. Make us proud!

Hail

The FG protection was a 1 year anomaly on an otherwise solid special teams unit. I'm sure one of the main things Danny Smith did this offseason was work on correcting that.

Or did Shanahan work on Danny Smith, and is this a Shanny move or a Smith move? I am thinking Danny Smith is getting tweaked himself here.

Was a little surprised to see we signed him. Was shocked to see that Gano was the guy we cut. I thought Gano was the guy and I'm kinda disappointed because I've never really been impressed with Cundiff but whatever. If he makes the kicks we'll all be happy, if not then we'll be pissed. Gano just better not be our next David Akers is all.

See ya Gone-o! Don't let the door hit ya! YES!!!!!!

Absolutely hated this guy, and no, he will never turn into a premier kicker.

Career under 39 yards:

Cundiff: 93 / 105 - 88.6%

Gone-o: 34 / 44 - 77.3%

*note: Cundiff has NEVER missed a FG under 29 yards, IN 101 GAMES!!! Gone-o has missed 3 in 36 games.

It's essentially the same guy but with six more season under his belt who is MUCH more accurate at the average NFL FG distance AAAAANNNNDDDD apparently his touchback % on kickoffs is double....soooooooooooooooooooooo yeah, see ya Gone-o.

Solid move.

Yup-

On Redskins' kickers: Past 2 years, 53.8 pct of Cundiff's KOs have been touchbacks. Gano, 27.8 percent.

I don't hate this as much as I did at first.

But how can a guy who has a booming leg on kickoffs, can only hit on 1 of 6 kicks over 50 yards the last couple of years? That's the baffling part. Does he have a strong leg or not?

cundiff is a good kicker aside from his huge gaf last season. glad we picked him up
Last year: 28-37, 75.7%, long of 51

Career: 132-172, 76.7%, long 56

Gano:

Last Year: 31-41, 75.6%, long of 59

Career: 59-80. 73.8%, long of 59

And Gano was a punter and kicker in college, so if Rocca went down in a game we have a backup with experience on the squad (mock that if you will, but in the last 3 seasons, Gano has had to punt in a game 4 times with a net of 35.8 yds - less than 4 yards less than Rocca's net of 39 yds).

I trust Shanny & Allen, but how anyone can look at career stats and claim Cundiff is an actual upgrade is beyond me.

Gano has cost us many games because of missing easy field goals early or late in games. Look back at the games lost the last few seasons and we have lost many by 2 or 3 points, and in many of those losses, Gano has missed at least one field goal. Our coaches see and know things that us fans don't, and it's obvious they feel we are a better team with Cundiff than with Gano.

I've said it, I'd have kept Rackers over both Gano or Cundiff. If it's about making kicks in actual regular season games, he's better than both of 'em. If it's all about kickoffs, I guess Cundiff is better. But I'd put more weight over putting it through the uprights than putting it out of the back of the endzone. But to each his own.

Yep, there were at least 4 games in 2010 where we lost by 3 or less and Gano missed one (or two) field goals. A good kicker could have been the difference between 6-10 and 10-6.

Still, I wish we were replacing Ganogood with something better than Billy Cundiff.

---------- Post added August-28th-2012 at 09:11 AM ----------

I've said it, I'd have kept Rackers over both Gano or Cundiff. If it's about making kicks in actual regular season games, he's better than both of 'em. If it's all about kickoffs, I guess Cundiff is better. But I'd put more weight over putting it through the uprights than putting it out of the back of the endzone. But to each his own.

Same here, give me Rackers over either of those two.

"But kicker is really an eye-of-the-beholder thing, and Mike Shanahan must see something in Cundiff that he likes. Cundiff was a Pro Bowler in 2010, when he hit 89.7 percent of his field goals. And over the past two years, he's 53-of-59 on field goals of less than 50 yards and leads the NFL in touchbacks. Last year, he was 28-for-37 on field goals -- a more pedestrian 75.7 percent that compares closely with Gano's 75.6 and with Cundiff's career percentage of 76.7. But Cundiff was 1-for-6 from beyond 50 yards while Gano was 4-for-6 from that distance."

"So what to make of this? Cundiff is more reliable inside the 50, which matters more than the ability to boom the occasional 50-yarder. But the main difference is on kickoffs, where 83 of Cundiff's 154 kicks (53.8 percent) have resulted in touchbacks over the last two years while just 40 of Gano's 144 (27.8 percent) have done the same. That's the part that matters most to coaches, who know kickers are eventually going to break their hearts on field goals but really want them to deliver in terms of field position. That's got to be the main reason Cundiff is the Redskins' new kicker while Rackers and Gano are looking for work."

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/62295/billy-cundiff-is-the-redskins-new-kicker

Looked forward to watching Gano grow, improve, and become 'OUR' Kicker, but reading this eases my mind a bit

"But kicker is really an eye-of-the-beholder thing, and Mike Shanahan must see something in Cundiff that he likes. Cundiff was a Pro Bowler in 2010, when he hit 89.7 percent of his field goals. And over the past two years, he's 53-of-59 on field goals of less than 50 yards and leads the NFL in touchbacks. Last year, he was 28-for-37 on field goals -- a more pedestrian 75.7 percent that compares closely with Gano's 75.6 and with Cundiff's career percentage of 76.7. But Cundiff was 1-for-6 from beyond 50 yards while Gano was 4-for-6 from that distance."

"So what to make of this? Cundiff is more reliable inside the 50, which matters more than the ability to boom the occasional 50-yarder. But the main difference is on kickoffs, where 83 of Cundiff's 154 kicks (53.8 percent) have resulted in touchbacks over the last two years while just 40 of Gano's 144 (27.8 percent) have done the same. That's the part that matters most to coaches, who know kickers are eventually going to break their hearts on field goals but really want them to deliver in terms of field position. That's got to be the main reason Cundiff is the Redskins' new kicker while Rackers and Gano are looking for work."

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/62295/billy-cundiff-is-the-redskins-new-kicker

Looked forward to watching Gano grow, improve, and become 'OUR' Kicker, but reading this eases my mind a bit

Yes, that does ease my mind a little bit... Here's hoping for a game winning field goal agains the Ravens this year at FedEX...

Archived