Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Per @chrisrussel... Gano released cundiff added

Missin Meast

Gano misses enough kicks in the regular season that we are not even in a position to let him choke in a playoff game

Maybe I am mistaken but I thought he missed the most kicks last year.

And what was up with his short diagonal kickoffs - was that him or Danny? I dont see other teams bother trying that stunt.

Can anyone speak to Cundiff's kickoffs. This is an undervalued part of the special teams games that does much to support field position. Love/hate Gano as much as you want his directional kickoffs were good (yes' date=' about twice per season he would kick out of bounds...).[/quote']

From Wiki:

"On January 2, 2011, Cundiff recorded his league-leading 40th touchback, which tied the NFL record set by Mitch Berger. Berger performed his feat in 1998 with the Minnesota Vikings, playing at home in the indoor Hubert H. Humphrey Metrodome before the NFL instituted the K-ball rule (where a brand new set footballs had to be used for every special teams play each game). Cundiff currently plays at home in the outdoor M&T Bank Stadium and set the record after the institution of the K-ball rule. He averaged 71.1 yards per kickoff to lead the league and had touchbacks on 51.3% of his kickoffs."

Cundiff: 84 touchbacks combined past two years. Gano: 41.

Have you all considered that maybe Gano has looked like **** in practice? Don't ya think the coaches might know more than us?

I was a Gano fan. Definitely was rooting for the guy. It's been my dream for us to develop a young kicker who then is on the team for the next 15 years. But if Gano ain't getting it done, he ain't getting it done.

After reading this quote, maybe it's not a bad move after all, "The 25-year-old Gano missed an NFL-high 10 field goal attempts last season, but five were blocked. He's made 74 percent of his attempts since joining the Redskins during the 2009 season, the second-worst percentage in the NFL over that span."

I'm also guessing the offense will be so explosive we will not need field goals just extra points and kick offs.

Hail Em Up

With this many Extremeskins poster against the move, it might be the best move possible.

...so what do you then make of the ´we love RGIII deal´ here? XD Has to end bad when we all the majority agrees it was a good move?

Makes perfect sense to me. Ganooooooo gave me a heart attack everytime he came on the field. He had no confidence. He was less than 50%b between 30-39 yds. Just terrible

I love that. Brings so much extra excitement to the game.

Althought Beck and Grossman where a little bit to much excitment for me.

Yup-

On Redskins' kickers: Past 2 years, 53.8 pct of Cundiff's KOs have been touchbacks. Gano, 27.8 percent.

I don't hate this as much as I did at first.

I'd love to see some stats on our kickoff coverage team. To see how big the difference was between the 20 and wherever our opponents avg start position was.

Cundiff is an upgrade. Gano has a stronger leg but he isn't and wasn't consistent. Every time he kicked you didn't know what would happen. This isn't about the blocked Field Goals either, it's about having a good veteran that is a upgrade period. The only reason the Raven's cut him was to save money. The rookie kicker they have now from University of Texas is a monster and it's nothing but cost savings on the Raven's part. They need to get money put a side for Flacco!!

Archived