Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Per @chrisrussel... Gano released cundiff added

Missin Meast

Regarding the blocked kicks, yea, not all on Gano obviously, but what about all the other misses? If I recall correctly, didn't he lead the NFL in missed field goals the year before last as well? I'm sorry, but Gano sucks and has sucked for his entire time here. That kicker up in Baltimore that beat out Cundiff is a rookie. Why is it that he looks like he belongs right now, but we're still making excuses for the "Young" Gano.

This isn't a David Akers situation, where we gave the guy 1 game. We gave Gano ample time to show us something. Outside of having a really, really strong leg, was ANYONE here confident in his ability to consistantly hit FGs? I know I wasn't.

This is a good move. Cundiff is probably the best kicker we've had since...John Hall? (thats depressing in itself) Hopefully, he'll continue his success here.

I was kinda surprised by the outpouring here. I've seen a smattering of stats and a ton of emotional responses from both directions, but I'll say this. The fact that this fervent a debate is happening over a kicker rather than a quarterback is oddly refreshing.

Good perspective. And even with my German heritage, I decided to pass on trying to mentally pronounce your screen name. :ols:

Yup. Don't you think he did something to contribute to six blocked kicks?? Ppl act like he's blameless in that....

Well, accordng to shanahan he didn't.

So I guess you can believe him if you want.

there's a couple videos posted earlier in the thread if you'd like to see it for yourself. it's pretty easy to notice what happens. (Hint. It's the right guard. he gets pushed around like a girl scout. You'll see him, he's the one on his back...)

yep, youre the only one who knows what their talking about. i'm so sorry. on the other hand, it would also help if gano could get some damn arc on his kicks so they werent blocked if the dline just raises their hands and jumps

You really should take a look at the videos of his blocks. he better kick it straight up in the air for as much penetration as they gave up on the right side all season long.

It's just a matter of seeing what is actually the problem. Our special teams suck year in and year out.

Why is that?

~Bang

---------- Post added August-29th-2012 at 12:45 AM ----------

Regarding the blocked kicks, yea, not all on Gano obviously, but what about all the other misses? If I recall correctly, didn't he lead the NFL in missed field goals the year before last as well? I'm sorry, but Gano sucks and has sucked for his entire time here. That kicker up in Baltimore that beat out Cundiff is a rookie. Why is it that he looks like he belongs right now, but we're still making excuses for the "Young" Gano.

This isn't a David Akers situation, where we gave the guy 1 game. We gave Gano ample time to show us something. Outside of having a really, really strong leg, was ANYONE here confident in his ability to consistantly hit FGs? I know I wasn't.

This is a good move. Cundiff is probably the best kicker we've had since...John Hall? (thats depressing in itself) Hopefully, he'll continue his success here.

he had five misses that were not blocked (1 of them was the first kick in the first quarter of the first game. not an excuse,, but 4 more over the next 15 games isn't too shabby.

Without the blocks he's a top ten kicker assuming he makes those kicks. even if he makes only half of them, he has the best FG% of any kicker danny ever had here by far.

don't misunderstand. My argument isn't about Gano or Cundiff. It doesn't matter who it is. Gano isn't the only kicker who missed kicks here. He's also not going to be the only kicker to go on and make kicks elsewhere.

They have a bad special teams coach. 5 kickers in 8 years.. they give him vets, they give him rookies. He fails with all of them.

~Bang

yep, youre the only one who knows what their talking about. i'm so sorry. on the other hand, it would also help if gano could get some damn arc on his kicks so they werent blocked if the dline just raises their hands and jumps
Yup. Don't you think he did something to contribute to six blocked kicks?? Ppl act like he's blameless in that....

How bout we quit throwing empty emotional statements around and go through some real evidence:

2 blocks vs Seahawks:

Now, call me crazy, but it appears to me on the first one that the Bryant is just about on TOP of the ball while it's still set. In the second, he gets just barely gets his fingertips on the ball while standing COMPLETELY BEHIND our line. I'm not trying to sound like a dick, but Bang sounds pretty accurate on saying you don't know what you're watching if you think he didn't put enough "arc" on it.

Again, the guy dove BEHIND OUR LINE and our entire line was also pushed about 5 yards back by my count. Once again, if you blame that on the kicker, Bang is right.

That's the only three I can find. However, if you want to make a claim saying Gano didn't put enough arc in his kicks, it's a good idea to research and make sure that is the case, and have evidence/data to back it up.

I however actually like the move. Gano was my wife's favorite player, so that sucks. (Cooley was her second favorite) I liked Oh no! Gano! too, but as i said before, I believe in Cundiff.

This is the worst move I have seen with the Skins in many years. Cundiff is not a good kicker - Gano has much more upside and I beleive this move may cost Shanny his job when Cundiff misses alot of kicks this year.

Cundiff made 75.7% of his FGs in 2011, and 89.7 in 2010.

Gano made 75.6 of his FGs in 2011, and 68.6 in 2010.

I don't see how you are calling Cundiff a downgrade to what we had in Gano.

Also, you think this move was worse than McNabb!?

And tell me you don't seriously believe a head coach is going to lose his job over a kicker. How many FGs do you think we're going to kick!? And how many does he have to miss to call this the worst move they've made in years!?

If you just want to rag on the man, he's an ex Cowboy so now we have to call the exorcism crew back.

---------- Post added August-29th-2012 at 12:45 AM ----------

[/color]

don't misunderstand. My argument isn't about Gano or Cundiff. It doesn't matter who it is. Gano isn't the only kicker who missed kicks here. He's also not going to be the only kicker to go on and make kicks elsewhere.

They have a bad special teams coach. 5 kickers in 8 years.. they give him vets, they give him rookies. He fails with all of them.

~Bang

Bang, we've had problems with kickers for YEARS. Far before Danny Smith. Remember Eddie Murray? James Tuthill? I chalk up our kickers failures to the fact that we were an AWFULLY run organization for a long time. Look at teams like the Patriots and Ravens. They never have problems with kickers. The inability to find good kickers is just another example of the failure that Vinny Cerrato was.

Bang, we've had problems with kickers for YEARS. Far before Danny Smith. Remember Eddie Murray? James Tuthill? I chalk up our kickers failures to the fact that we were an AWFULLY run organization for a long time. Look at teams like the Patriots and Ravens. They never have problems with kickers. The inability to find good kickers is just another example of the failure that Vinny Cerrato was.

Sorry, but the excuses are wearing way thin after 8 years and five kickers.

everyone else who has failed has been replaced but this guy.

And he most certainly has failed.

~Bang

..... everyone else who has failed has been replaced but this guy.

I'm taking solace in believing this year his unit has to produce on all fronts, or the HC will act.

And I think that goes, within reason, for both coordinators too. His son included.

If he can take it on with better in 2013, I don't think Coach Mike will hesitate not to.

Just a gut feeling that Smith and Haslett in particular, with Raheem sat waiting; are under BIG pressure this year.

Hail.

Sorry, but the excuses are wearing way thin after 8 years and five kickers.

everyone else who has failed has been replaced but this guy.

~Bang

And according to this http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Who_are_the_Washington_Redskins_Kickers_since_1995, in the five year before Danny came, we had 10 kickers. The kicking problem I chalk up to poor personnel decisions. I trust Shanny and I think we'll find that Cundiff is gonna make Danny Smith look a whole hell of a lot better.

You said he cost us BOTH Cowboys games...having a FG blocked in the 2nd quarter does not equal "he cost us the game."

I am glad you brought up a Dallas game, because yu COULD make a case that Danny Smith's special teams did cost us the game in dallas.

In the game Gano got one of the few directional kicks in. He did exactly what Danny always hoped for when he called that stupid play and pinned the Cowboys inside the 5.

And the defense did it's job and forced a quick 3 and out.

And on the punt, you would expect that we SHOULD get pretty good field position, even if we fair catch, which you should instruct the returner to not be shy about doing, since we'll be getting the ball close already..

And you would expect that since you would expect that, you would tell your players to play ultra safe on the play so the strategy can be put to good use by the offense.

And you would expect that when Banks did call for the fair catch at midfield that we'd be finally winning the field position battle, and start a drive a few feet from their territory.

What you would not expct is completely thoughtless block in the back after banks called for the expected fair catch.

that is unless you're watching the Redskins.

and then you expect dopey special teams blunders.

And there was Niles Paul, blocking in the back after the call of afair catch was made, taking ten yards off the field position.

~Bang

Archived