Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Per @chrisrussel... Gano released cundiff added

Missin Meast

Gano actually had a lower average in terms of KO. According to NFL.com, he had an average of 20.8 vs. 30.4 last year.

Gano also has a slightly lower career mark, but last year was the big difference, and I think the most relevant given the rule changes.

Maybe this represents a difference in team philosophy or the quality of special teams play (but it is hard for me to believe we are better at KO coverage than the Ravens).

Gano actually had a lower average in terms of KO. According to NFL.com, he had an average of 20.8 vs. 30.4 last year.

Gano also has a slightly lower career mark, but last year was the big difference, and I think the most relevant given the rule changes.

Maybe this represents a difference in team philosophy or the quality of special teams play (but it is hard for me to believe we are better at KO coverage than the Ravens).

The Ravens were actually one of the worst kick coverage teams in the league, allowing almost 31 yards/return. The Skins were first at 21.8 yards/return. Danny Smith is an isiot and instead of having his kicker boom it out of the endzone, had him directionally kick instead of putting it in the dream seats. And anyone who has watched warmups knows that Gano can EASILY hit the dream seats on demand from the 35.

And according to this http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Who_are_the_Washington_Redskins_Kickers_since_1995, in the five year before Danny came, we had 10 kickers. The kicking problem I chalk up to poor personnel decisions. I trust Shanny and I think we'll find that Cundiff is gonna make Danny Smith look a whole hell of a lot better.

All you're doing is comparing him to failure.

I get it. He's a failure.

~Bang

Regarding the blocked kicks, yea, not all on Gano obviously, but what about all the other misses? If I recall correctly, didn't he lead the NFL in missed field goals the year before last as well? I'm sorry, but Gano sucks and has sucked for his entire time here. That kicker up in Baltimore that beat out Cundiff is a rookie. Why is it that he looks like he belongs right now, but we're still making excuses for the "Young" Gano.

This isn't a David Akers situation, where we gave the guy 1 game. We gave Gano ample time to show us something. Outside of having a really, really strong leg, was ANYONE here confident in his ability to consistantly hit FGs? I know I wasn't.

This is a good move. Cundiff is probably the best kicker we've had since...John Hall? (thats depressing in itself) Hopefully, he'll continue his success here.

He'd (Gano) make about 2 of 3 kicks. Id have to look at his lifetime stats here, but I bet im close. I bit my nails on every one of them. Skins can do better.

~Bang

Nice one...

But, I am not going to let you blame Smith for those Dallas games. Yeah he helped, but the coach who should get the most blame is that bum Haslett. One eight man blitz with the game on the line is crazy, but if you do it twice, AGAINST THE SAME TEAM!!!, then you are an idiot.

Both of them bammas could kick rocks for all I care.

:rant:

~Bang

We've had a couple solid, high effort guys on special teams over the years, but the apology is always lack of depth that leads to poor st play. We already know he can't make a filet mignon out of a turd. This year i think people generally agree that there is greater depth than we've had in a number of years. Given the cap situation, I'll go with new york strip, not the filet you wanted, but still pretty good. If he makes a turd out of that, he's got to be done, right?

We've had a couple solid, high effort guys on special teams over the years, but the apology is always lack of depth that leads to poor st play. We already know he can't make a filet mignon out of a turd. This year i think people generally agree that there is greater depth than we've had in a number of years. Given the cap situation, I'll go with new york strip, not the filet you wanted, but still pretty good. If he makes a turd out of that, he's got to be done, right?

I don't need filet, just something that isn't rancid.

I'd say be careful eating that strip you're ordering.

I hope it's good. but i'm going to have my doubts.

~Bang

I'm surprised by all the Gano support over Cundiff. It always seemed like people were HATING him on this board. I was always pulling for him, but I'm not shocked/dismayed by the move either, he was missing kicks in practice. I'll take a vet at this point. And that FG he missed in the playoff game I'll always put on the coach for not calling a timeout and rushing the squad out there for a critical kick.

Regarding the blocked kicks, yea, not all on Gano obviously, but what about all the other misses? If I recall correctly, didn't he lead the NFL in missed field goals the year before last as well? I'm sorry, but Gano sucks and has sucked for his entire time here. That kicker up in Baltimore that beat out Cundiff is a rookie. Why is it that he looks like he belongs right now, but we're still making excuses for the "Young" Gano.

This isn't a David Akers situation, where we gave the guy 1 game. We gave Gano ample time to show us something. Outside of having a really, really strong leg, was ANYONE here confident in his ability to consistantly hit FGs? I know I wasn't.

This is a good move. Cundiff is probably the best kicker we've had since...John Hall? (thats depressing in itself) Hopefully, he'll continue his success here.

You do know that Cundiff missed the same amount of field goals as Gano last year..... Not including the choke in the AFC championship game!

I don't need filet, just something that isn't rancid.

I'd say be careful eating that strip you're ordering.

I hope it's good. but i'm going to have my doubts.

~Bang

I got low standards. Don't start behind your own 20, don't start them past their own 30, don't miss anything under 40, don't stand there picking your nose while they're kicking a field goal, and don't miss extra points.

You do know that Cundiff missed the same amount of field goals as Gano last year..... Not including the choke in the AFC championship game!

I'm not a Cundiff fan by any means but I have a hard time putting too much of that miss on him. Trying to rush out the FG unit on road when you're sitting on a timeout is moronic. To top it, it was obvious the FG unit came out late because of that whole scoreboard fiasco. Stupid? very much so, but there are a few coaches that deserve to have their necks rung over that.

Our unreliable FG kicking game just got marginally worse or marginally better...what's the big problem?

---------- Post added August-28th-2012 at 08:10 PM ----------

I don't think the K position should ever be used to determine organizational philosophy. With all the key players we have younger than 25, I really doubt we are gunning for a Lombardi due to swapping out kickers.

Honestly, I liked Gano. Young, good leg and factoring out the 5 blocks a pretty good and improving kicker.

Our unreliable FG kicking game just got marginally worse or marginally better...what's the big problem?

---------- Post added August-28th-2012 at 08:10 PM ----------

I don't think the K position should ever be used to determine organizational philosophy. With all the key players we have younger than 25, I really doubt we are gunning for a Lombardi due to swapping out kickers.

I don't think you understand what I'm saying:

Shanahan isn't trying to have a losing season this year. This is not another 6-10, 5-11 campaign he has in mind where players like Gano get to stay because of their "potential". Remember one of the first things he did when he got here was burn the "Cult of Colt" to the ground then cut Marko Mitchell. With Cooley gone and now this, it's simply about production. The only person that's going to be able to play the patience card is RG3, and that's because Shanny's job is on the line if he fails...

Kicker? I don't give a **** who the kicker is, as long as he is making kicks. It's the least important part of football and could easily be replaced eventually.

Cundiff can't even attempt a kick over 50. So remember you said that when a playoff birth hangs in the breeze when it's 4th and 10 with the ball on the 38 yardline, down by 2 with 6 seconds left.

Cundiff can't even attempt a kick over 50. So remember you said that when a playoff birth hangs in the breeze when it's 4th and 10 with the ball on the 38 yardline, down by 2 with 6 seconds left.

Yeah, that's gota' be an accuracy thing as his kick-off's are boomers; yet he's career woeful from 50 out.

Hoping he get's a LOT of kicks tonight to run the rule over him.

Hail.

I'll also remember when brought in a guy who makes around 90% of his field goal attempts inside 50 and realize that Gano had a much higher chance at missing an "easier" field goal and costing us the game.

I can't understand the outrage. Neither guy is good. Our special teams coach stinks. Cundiff is more accurate inside the 50. Gano is more accurate outside the 50. Annnnd waaassshhhhhh.

I'll also remember when brought in a guy who makes around 90% of his field goal attempts inside 50 and realize that Gano had a much higher chance at missing an "easier" field goal and costing us the game.

I can't understand the outrage. Neither guy is good. Our special teams coach stinks. Cundiff is more accurate inside the 50. Gano is more accurate outside the 50. Annnnd waaassshhhhhh.

About where I'm at. It's not like we released a super star in the waiting kicker. We cut a bad kicker who happens to be young.

Don't worry, there will be other bad kickers who we will sign and cut. Some will be young. Some will be old.

Kicker? I don't give a **** who the kicker is, as long as he is making kicks. It's the least important part of football and could easily be replaced eventually.

The Ravens and a super bowl trip came down to the kicker. (against the Pats, who have won 3 Super Bowls on the leg of their kicker.

Kickers are very important. Making or missing your field goas can be the difference between winning and losng, or in Cundiff's case, going to the Super Bowl or staying home.

~Bang

Archived