Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Raw Story: GOP Senate nominee: Women don’t get pregnant from ‘legitimate’ rapes

Burgold

Maybe, but Romney is already mistrusted by a lot of the christian right and especially over abortion.

And he doesn't want to look like he's stabbing a more conservative politician in the back.

Ideally, he should be able to condemn the guy's comments and tell him to drop out.

But I'm not sure it wouldn't hurt him in some circles that might have been already wavering on voting this time around.

I think you're overthinking it. Romney will get his base to come out for him now with Ryan on the ticket. To win, he needs to compel centrists to come out and vote and vote for him.

If the far right wingers don't come out because of him telling Akin to drop out, then I suspect they weren't going to come out anyway because the issue is so stupid and roundly rejected. Can't be many people who would actually get pissed about him for it anyway. Right??

I would really hope so...

I think you're overthinking it. Romney will get his base to come out for him now with Ryan on the ticket. To win, he needs to compel centrists to come out and vote and vote for him.

If the far right wingers don't come out because of him telling Akin to drop out, then I suspect they weren't going to come out anyway because the issue is so stupid and roundly rejected. Can't be many people who would actually get pissed about him for it anyway. Right??

I would really hope so...

The only people who would get pissed about Romney speaking out are already so angry and scared of Obama that they will come out and vote against him anyway, even if Romney pulled down his pants and peed on the American flag during the first televised debate. :)

He should withdraw. And move to China. He is a moron, and anyone attempting to defend him has to be doing some serious mental gymnastics.

And for the record, here is how every GOP candidate should answer ANY question on abortion: "While I do not personally agree with the courts position on abortion, I am committed to upholding established law and will do everything in my power to ensure that my office acts accordingly. Sometimes personal feelings and convictions have to take a backseat for the sake of the locale/state/nation. When I entered this race I was fully aware of the established laws on this topic and even though my personal feelings/convictions run contrary to these laws, I am committed to improving my locale/state/nation and will work to do so in other areas."

It really isn't that difficult. Roe-v-Wade ain't going away. And to be honest, the GOP doesn't want it to. As long as it is there, they can campaign on "overturning this judicial overstep", knowing full well they will never even think about doing so once in office.

He should withdraw. And move to China. He is a moron, and anyone attempting to defend him has to be doing some serious mental gymnastics.

And for the record, here is how every GOP candidate should answer ANY question on abortion: "While I do not personally agree with the courts position on abortion, I am committed to upholding established law and will do everything in my power to ensure that my office acts accordingly. Sometimes personal feelings and convictions have to take a backseat for the sake of the locale/state/nation. When I entered this race I was fully aware of the established laws on this topic and even though my personal feelings/convictions run contrary to these laws, I am committed to improving my locale/state/nation and will work to do so in other areas."

It really isn't that difficult. Roe-v-Wade ain't going away. And to be honest, the GOP doesn't want it to. As long as it is there, they can campaign on "overturning this judicial overstep", knowing full well they will never even think about doing so once in office.

That was a very well reasoned, well thought out response on the question of abortion in this country...

...which is why a politician will never ever say it in a million years.

This absolutely would NOT fly with conservatives. They want to know that you will work to outlaw abortion.

The only people who would get pissed about Romney speaking out are already so angry and scared of Obama that they will come out and vote against him anyway, even if Romney pulled down his pants and peed on the American flag during the first televised debate. :)
The flag was probably made in China ;)

Ya'll are crackin' me up!!

I think this may be wrong. There are a lot of people this year who would normally vote but are so disgusted with both candidates that they are seriously considering not doing so.

I can't say if this is something that would clinch it for some of them or not, but it could very well be the confirmation that some conservatives have been looking for that Romney is not someone they can vote for even against Obama and thus they might as well stay home.

I think this may be wrong. There are a lot of people this year who would normally vote but are so disgusted with both candidates that they are seriously considering not doing so.

I can't say if this is something that would clinch it for some of them or not, but it could very well be the confirmation that some conservatives have been looking for that Romney is not someone they can vote for even against Obama and thus they might as well stay home.

I'm not talking about moderate conservatives. I'm talking about the fringe. Moderate conservatives would understand why Romney was disavowing this guy. And the fringe is going to come out to vote against the Muslim communist Kenyan.

I'm not talking about moderate conservatives. I'm talking about the fringe. Moderate conservatives would understand why Romney was disavowing this guy. And the fringe is going to come out to vote against the Muslim communist Kenyan.

But I think there are some fringe guys who think Romney is just as bad if not worse than Obama, and have been waiting for a confirmation of it.

I'm sure some on the christian right might prefer a real democrat over a 'fake republican' with a 'dangerous religion' as an enemy.

Not that they'd vote for Obama, but they might find it easier to stomach sitting home and doing nothing than voting for Romney.

I'm not sure this would be the trigger for such a decision, but it might add into it.

Especially if some groups they support are defending Akins still.

But I think there are some fringe guys who think Romney is just as bad if not worse than Obama, and have been waiting for a confirmation of it.

I'm sure some on the christian right might prefer a real democrat over a 'fake republican' with a 'dangerous religion' as an enemy.

Not that they'd vote for Obama, but they might find it easier to stomach sitting home and doing nothing than voting for Romney.

I'm not sure this would be the trigger for such a decision, but it might add into it.

Especially if some groups they support are defending Akins still.

Maybe. But I doubt it. For those people, Obama has been demonized for 4 straight years as the spawn of Satan. They may complain about Romney, they may claim they are going to stay home - but I don't believe it for a minute. Fear is the greatest motivator, and they fear "muslims" and "communists" and "gays" (and some of them fear black people) a hell of a lot more than they fear Mormons.

GOP pulled Akin's funding.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/cheats/2012/08/20/gop-pulls-akin-s-funding.html

Great point. If the GOP REALLY wanted Roe overturned, it would have happened by now.

Which is proof that they have been pandering to the Christian Right rather than actually pushing that agenda. Which is yet but another reason why I don't vote for them.

That was a very well reasoned, well thought out response on the question of abortion in this country...

...which is why a politician will never ever say it in a million years.

Would you say the same of the issue of illegal immigration or SSM?

Huckabee weighs in:

http://gawker.com/5936386/mike-huckabee-would-like-to-remind-you-that-rape-has-created-some-extraordinary-people

Mike Huckabee Would Like to Remind You That Rape Has Created Some Extraordinary People

By John Cook

Why is everybody so down on rape? This is what Mike Huckabee wanted to know today, on his radio program, which also featured Rep. Todd "Legitimate Rape" Akin as a guest. For instance, did you know that Ethel Waters was conceived when her mother got raped? Do you know what a world without rape would look like? A world without Ethel Waters, that's what.

This is what Mike Huckabee said today, as transcribed by the Los Angeles Times' James Rainey, about the upside of being raped and then getting pregnant:

"Ethel Waters, for example, was the result of a forcible rape," Huckabee said of the late American gospel singer. One-time presidential candidate Huckabee added: "I used to work for James Robison back in the 1970s, he leads a large Christian organization. He, himself, was the result of a forcible rape. And so I know it happens, and yet even from those horrible, horrible tragedies of rape, which are inexcusable and indefensible, life has come and sometimes, you know, those people are able to do extraordinary things."

Anyway, stop being so racist against rape-babies, everyone.

Maybe. But I doubt it. For those people, Obama has been demonized for 4 straight years as the spawn of Satan. They may complain about Romney, they may claim they are going to stay home - but I don't believe it for a minute. Fear is the greatest motivator.

I have started sowing seeds of future (additional) cognitive turbulence among the sizable contingent of heavily-frothing Obama-hating fundie Christians around where I'm staying these days. :cool:

I have been joining more in their regular self-aggrandizing blather-fests, where they do the Church Lady Superior Dance at the expense of various demographics and individuals.

And I've been using my Bene Gesserit vocal training to chant a message of "calm thy soul---it is so clear, and has been said so often, for so long by so many, that this heathen Obama is so far and away the worst demon-spawn in every imaginable way to ever hold office...that the only way a voting majority of the U.S.A (said 3 times) would give him another term is if all of them had truly been possessed by Satan!"

:evil:

:D

Now I just have to hope Obama wins. :pfft:

Archived