Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Raw Story: GOP Senate nominee: Women don’t get pregnant from ‘legitimate’ rapes

Burgold

According to the first link in that search, stress (immediate, or otherwise) has more of an effect on ovulation, rather than conceiving...

Edit: And even so, even if stress from rape were to effect conceiving, it wouldn't do so 100% of the time. It's not something you bank on...

what argument?...there is no argument stress affects ovulation,conceiving and pregnancy

BOTH short and long term stress

https://www.google.com/search?q=effects+of+stress+on+ovulation&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=ubuntu&channel=fs

Rape ends up with pregnancy about 5% of the time.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8765248

Which is the same chance you have from getting pregnant without being raped.

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_are_the_odds_of_getting_pregnant_if_you_had_sex_only_one_time

And even though you are wrong there's another thing wrong with this whole statement with Akin to begin with. Why would he even bring that up???

Is he saying that if someone gets pregnant than clearly they weren't raped?

In other news, he just announced he's staying in the race and is going to fight those RHINO'S in Washington. LOL. Keep fighting the good fight Akin.

Rape ends up with pregnancy about 5% of the time.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8765248

Which is the same chance you have from getting pregnant without being raped.

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_are_the_odds_of_getting_pregnant_if_you_had_sex_only_one_time

And even though you are wrong there's another thing wrong with this whole statement with Akin to begin with. Why would he even bring that up???

Is he saying that if someone gets pregnant than clearly they weren't raped?

How is what I said wrong? :)

I already agreed if he was using that as his basis it was foolish to label it as such

btw he never said women don't get pregnant from rape in that interview

add

are you trying to prove Predicto's study wrong? ....one of you must be in error

How is what I said wrong? :)

In reply to AsburySkinsFan saying "The female body has NO reproductive defensive mechanism in the case of rape!"

You (twa) said: The female body does not get pregnant as easy under stress,it also affects the rate of miscarriages.....call it what you wish

Correct me if I'm wrong, but were you not implying that the stress caused by a rape reduces the chance of conception?

If that is true, please prove it. Please show the study/facts that demonstrates clearly that *ACUTE* stress from rape prevents conception. Not that general stress has negative health impacts including conception in all forms (consensual and otherwise).

Edit : Let's be clear, the health impacts of stress aren't a defense mechanism. That's like saying I'm depressed and want to die, so the stress from that lowers my immune system to allow me to catch something that will kill me easier.

In reply to AshburySkinsFan saying "The female body has NO reproductive defensive mechanism in the case of rape!"

You (twa) said: The female body does not get pregnant as easy under stress,it also affects the rate of miscarriages.....call it what you wish

Correct me if I'm wrong, but were you not implying that the stress caused by a rape reduces the chance of conception?

If that is true, please prove it. Please show the study/facts that demonstrates clearly that *ACUTE* stress from rape prevents conception. Not that general stress has negative health impacts including conception in all forms (consensual and otherwise).

I assume a rape causes stress, stress affects ovulation,conception,and a pregnancy...NOWHERE did I say it prevents it

but if you look at the links and general consensus it does appear to in some cases

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17573075

http://www.webmd.com/infertility-and-reproduction/features/infertility-stress

Now, however, the wheel has turned yet again, and doctors are once more looking to the idea that stress -- and sometimes "trying too hard" -- may actually play a role in up to 30% of all infertility problems.

"It's becoming more and more important, in terms of what studies we do, to focus our efforts on the physiological effects of stress and how they may play a role in conception," says Margareta D. Pisarska, MD, co-director of Center for Reproductive Medicine at Cedars Sinai Medical Center in Los Angeles and editor-in-chief of the American Society for Reproductive Medicine News.

While doctors say that right now there aren't enough data to draw a clear and obvious link, many believe it's only a matter of time before we connect all the dots and see the bigger picture.

"What we do know now is that when stress-reduction techniques are employed, something happens in some women that allows them to get pregnant when they couldn't get pregnant before," says Allen Morgan, MD, director of Shore Institute for Reproductive Medicine in Lakewood, N.J.

While the exact pathways between fertility and stress remain a mystery, Morgan believes hormones like cortisol or epinephrine -- which rise and often remain high during times of chronic stress -- play a key role.

Morgan says that it's also possible that reducing stress may help enhance proteins within the uterine lining that are involved in implantation. She says that stress reduction may increase blood flow to the uterus, which also affects conception.

Not an attorney, but obviously there are precedents for doing just that.

Dredd Scott is no longer the law of the land. Neither is "separate but equal".

Now, my suspicion is that no, the SC has never issued a ruling which contained the phrase "we hereby repeal this, other, decision that we wrote a while back"

But there certainly is precedent for the court finding some way to have the effect of reversing a decision.

Lawrence v. Texas is the most prominent recent example I can think of.

Also....when did JMS become an attorney?

I assume a rape causes stress, stress affects ovulation,conception,and a pregnancy...NOWHERE did I say it prevents it

but if you look at the links and general consensus it does appear to in some cases

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17573075

http://www.webmd.com/infertility-and-reproduction/features/infertility-stress

You used stress in response to someone saying the female reproductive system has no defense to unwanted conception.

I questioned your logic behind that.

You respond with the idea that rape causes stress and stress reduces the chance of conception, which is fine in theory. The problem is basically all studies done on this are about long term stress from either pressure to get pregnant to other things in the daily lives of the women. I keep on saying this but the chronic stress of the people in these studies is much different than the acute stress of being raped.

The original point of this thread is a guy who said that the chances of a women getting pregnant from rape is very rare. Link after link and study after study has been posted that prove otherwise. You could simply let it go and acknowledge the facts but instead choose to reply back arguing otherwise.

Then when I ask for facts you say you "assume" things and post two links. The first being a study on sexual behavior and ovulation in female lab rats. The second doesn't have anything to do with acute stress. Yes, we all know that chronic stress can prevent pregnancies, it has no bearing on this argument and it isn't a defensive mechanism.

Don't need to....ask any reputable physician if what I said was true

or google stress +conception

Long term stress. Dang man, give it up already, you've lost and you're wrong, put down the shovel and walk away fom the hole.

---------- Post added August-21st-2012 at 03:48 PM ----------

Yet, you keep defending the doctor who said that a woman's body does work against pregnancy in the cases of "legitimate" rape. Give it up already.

I assume a rape causes stress...

I know you're trying to be a smart ass here, but holy crap, dude...

stress affects ovulation,conception,and a pregnancy...NOWHERE did I say it prevents it.

...You have no idea how reproduction works, do you?

The article you quoted from (that you no doubt spent hours trying to find since what you're saying is so bat **** insane that even the farthest of the far right wing blogs would stare at it and go "seriously dude?") is talking about stress as it pertains to women actively trying to conceive. In that case, then yes, stress can affect ovulation...but the article is talking about chronic stress being a factor in women who have trouble conceiving. The article you're talking about is about fertility treatments.

The way you are talking, you're acting as if ovulation occurs every time a woman has sex. If there is already an ovum in a woman's uterus, then the stress of being raped is not enough to suddenly stop the fertilization process from occurring. You are, in essence, saying THE EXACT SAME THING ARKIN IS SAYING; that the stress of being raped shuts a woman's body down and that...I don't know, a woman's uterus freezes in time and suddenly sperm and eggs just don't do what they're supposed to do just because.

I used to think you were ignorant, but I'm quickly coming to the conclusion that you're just ****ing stupid.

You used stress in response to someone saying the female reproductive system has no defense to unwanted conception.

I'm almost certain you are mistaken and I even said that terming it as a defense would be foolish

Some of you are obviously unfamiliar with twa....

Let me spare you some aggravation. Logic, reason, facts, and sensibility are irrelevant. This is the same guy who went on for page after page extolling/defending the intellectual brilliance of Sarah Palin, Rick Perry, and...what was that third thing....

Would you believe there's more... and another one?

Rep. Steve King: I’ve Never Heard Of A Girl Getting Pregnant From Statutory Rape Or Incest

http://2012.talkingpointsmemo.com/2012/08/steve-king-statutory-rape.php

Rep. Steve King, one of the most staunchly conservative members of the House, was one of the few Republicans who did not strongly condemn Rep. Todd Akin Monday for his remarks regarding pregnancy and rape. King also signaled why — he might agree with parts of Akin’s assertion.

King told an Iowa reporter he’s never heard of a child getting pregnant from statutory rape or incest.

“Well I just haven’t heard of that being a circumstance that’s been brought to me in any personal way,” King told KMEG-TV Monday, “and I’d be open to discussion about that subject matter.”

A Democratic source flagged King’s praise of Akin in the KMEG interview to TPM. But potentially more controversial for King is his suggestion that pregnancies from statutory rape or incest don’t exist or happen rarely. A 1996 review by the Guttmacher Institute found “at least half of all babies born to minor women are fathered by adult men.”

--------------------------

Of course this one seems much more about political games and lawyer speak than the other. Don't know if that makes it worse or better.

Some of you are obviously unfamiliar with twa....

Let me spare you some aggravation. Logic, reason, facts, and sensibility are irrelevant. This is the same guy who went on for page after page extolling/defending the intellectual brilliance of Sarah Palin, Rick Perry, and...what was that third thing....

Bush?

And not the good kind?

“Well I just haven’t heard of that being a circumstance that’s been brought to me in any personal way,” King told KMEG-TV Monday, “and I’d be open to discussion about that subject matter.”

I mean, I haven't either, personally.

But it does happen. Man, why would he even go there? Is he attempting political hari-kari?

In other words, what you said has nothing to do with this thread and there was no real reason for you to post it?

I coulda swore in the post I mentioned it that it was probably what the fool was mistakenly calling a rape defense

in fact I've mentioned the possibility a couple of times,including referencing post 22 ( I believe)

IF it is what he is drawing his conclusion from it seems relevant....but it is speculation on my part

I'm almost certain you are mistaken and I even said that terming it as a defense would be foolish

It's like talking to a rock...seriously...

Ok...

The female body has NO reproductive defensive mechanism in the case of rape!

to which you quoted and replied with.

The female body does not get pregnant as easy under stress,it also affects the rate of miscarriages.....call it what you wish

I do agree it is foolish to label it as a rape defense.....about as foolish as the clump of cells meme.

Yes, you said "call it what you wish" and to "label it as a rape defense" is foolish.

The problem is you have to slip in the whole stress causing conception problems in first as if it somehow has any bearing on this argument. We're not arguing over labels or terms, we're arguing over facts and the facts aren't on your side, yet you continue to reply back like those two ridiculous links you had earlier. You couldn't simply agree, you had to come back with the stress comment as if it somehow invalidates something in what he said. If what you said had nothing to do with the defensive mechanism comment, why did you quote him and mention stress?

I coulda swore in the post I mentioned it that it was probably what the fool was mistakenly calling a rape defense

in fact I've mentioned the possibility a couple of times,including referencing post 22 ( I believe)

IF it is what he is drawing his conclusion from it seems relevant....but it is speculation on my part

You think Akin read that if a woman is 'trying too hard' to get pregnant with her rapist, the stress might make it harder for her to do so?

Again, let me be very clear....I'm perfectly understanding that we're all in agreeance that the phrase he used is wrong. The issue seems to be that you somehow agree with the concept behind it, and that he was simply wrong in the way he phrased or labeled it. If I'm wrong on this, my apologies but that's what I'm getting from this.

I mean, I haven't either, personally.

But it does happen. Man, why would he even go there? Is he attempting political hari-kari?

Meh, that's about the 999th most stupid thing Rep. Steve King has said in his illustrious career. King, Louis Gohmert and Michele Bachman are the three stooges of the House of Representatives.

over 270 posts in this thread and most of them are folks arguing with a guy who's defending a Congressman who's already said he was wrong on this point. You guys are getting trolled out of your shoes here.Apparently he's not dropping out and wants to become some sort of extremist martyr or something.

8-21-2012+5-25-44+PM.jpg

A very useful tool here on ES. Use it if you keep getting sucked in. Hell, use it on me.

Archived