Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Raw Story: GOP Senate nominee: Women don’t get pregnant from ‘legitimate’ rapes

Burgold

I just don't know what to say about this. It's so stupid and almost feels related to the old rapist excuse "She wanted it" Do people actually believe things like this?

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2012/08/19/gop-senate-nominee-women-dont-get-pregnant-from-legitimate-rapes/

Rep. Todd Akin, the Republican Senate nominee in Missouri, claimed in a TV interview this weekend that women who are ‘legitimate’ victims of rape do not get pregnant because their bodies somehow prevent that from happening.

As first reported by TPM, Akin, in an interview with local station KTVI-TV, was defending his staunch anti-abortion stance. When asked if that view applied to extreme instances such as rape—a case some abortion opponents consider an acceptable exception to their otherwise firm opposition—Akin held his ground.

“People always try to make that one of those things, ‘Oh, how do you slice this particularly tough sort of ethical question,” Akin said. “It seems to me, first of all, what I understand from doctors is that’s really where—if it’s a legitimate rape, the female body has ways to try to shut that whole thing down.”

Clearly women have Master Chief and his fellow space marines sitting in their vaginas, waiting for some evil rape sperm to try and march through their first line.

*rubs temples* I thought people this stupid were only supposed to exist in crappy TV shows!

Isn't he a tea partier?

The Dems should hope for more continued TP success because for every OK TP person the nominate, they then nominate nutjobs.

Claire Makaskill should have nothing to worry about now.

She is/was losing by 11 points up until today, I wouldn't say she has nothing to worry about.

I'm not sure if there are any newer studies, but a 1996 study was done by the American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology.

http://www.ajog.org/article/S0002-9378(96)70141-2/abstract

Here are a few quotes :

"RESULTS: The national rape-related pregnancy rate is 5.0% per rape among victims of reproductive age (aged 12 to 45); among adult women an estimated 32,101 pregnancies result from rape each year."

"CONCLUSIONS: Rape-related pregnancy occurs with significant frequency. It is a cause of many unwanted pregnancies and is closely linked with family and domestic violence."

My guess is he's basing his ridiculous opinion on websites like this - http://www.christianliferesources.com/article/rape-pregnancies-are-rare-461

If you look at that website it has a clear agenda and it's very limited citations are from the 1970s.

They include classic lines such as ...

"How many forcible rapes result in a pregnancy? The numbers claimed have ranged the entire spectrum of possibilities. Some feminists have claimed as high as 5 to 10 percent, which is absurd."

"So assault rape pregnancy is extremely rare. If we use the figure of 200, it is 4 per state per year. Even if we use a figure of 500, we're talking about only ten per state, per year"

Now he says he 'misspoke' and by misspoke he realized needs votes from people who care about those floozies.

It's not an apology, it's more of a "no really....I care, but I was right..." statement. He doesn't acknowledge ever being wrong, he just basically says rape is a bad thing, so yeah....that's a bold statement.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/washington/story/2012-08-19/todd-akin-rape/57146944/1

Now he says he 'misspoke' and by misspoke he realized needs votes from people who care about those floozies.

It's not an apology, it's more of a "no really....I care, but I was right..." statement. He doesn't acknowledge ever being wrong, he just basically says rape is a bad thing, so yeah....that's a bold statement.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/washington/story/2012-08-19/todd-akin-rape/57146944/1

He basically says "I may not have been right about the rape thing, I guess. But you should still have to carry that kid you never wanted because that's an innocent life! And you were sort of innocent, but still. The baby is innocenter."

Why is the GOP supporting this guy? is the population of this country really this clueless to the type of people that are being nominated to run for congress now???

Oh, I think there are plenty of people who realize it. The problem is that the GOP is being hijacked by people who agree with this mindset.

I think idiots like this guy must come up with **** like this because anatomically for many women it increases their chances of becoming pregnant if they experience orgasm (is this okay to say on a message board? I don't know, but it should be) which is clearly something that is difficult to achieve if you're being raped. The problem is, that only increases the chances and doesn't mean that if you're being raped some sort of magical rape spermicide is going to materialize in the uterus and save the day. If you get raped you could get pregnant just like you could if you weren't being raped. What is so hard to understand about that?

Archived