Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Raw Story: GOP Senate nominee: Women don’t get pregnant from ‘legitimate’ rapes

Burgold

He didn't really retract it, that would imply he was wrong in some way.

All he did was say he misspoke and it didn't reflect his 'deep empathy' for victims of rape. He never came close to acknowledging he was wrong in any way about the fact of his original statement. All he did was try to appear slightly more sympathetic to rape victims while maintaining his original stupidity.

The Dems should hope for more continued TP success because for every OK TP person the nominate, they then nominate nutjobs.

They didn't just hope. They spent 1.5 million dollars trying to help him win the primary, because he has a history of saying stupid things and their candidate was in trouble. Looks like it may have worked.

Honestly.. how is it the worst are what rises these days?

See above.

Not exactly straight shooting there. But people still have to vote.

~Bang

Smart politics.

In this case, it was a primary, which tends to only draw out the most passionate (and thus disproportionately those on the extremes), and then it was a three way race, and he only won 36% of that set, which was enough to get him the nomination. I'd imagine the hard right went for him, while the other two split everybody else, which is exactly what the Democrats wanted.

That article I linked in my last post says Brunner was leading him by 16 points in polling before the primary, and this one says Brunner only spent 8 million on the whole primary campaign, so $1.5 million could have a huge impact, especially when

In the final weeks of the campaign, Brunner and Steelman lobbed attacks at each other on the air, but Akin declined to join the fray and stayed positive.

Sounds like the took each other out. This is not the first time he's said something stupid, of course:

“Just a reminder folks, Todd Akin compared student loans to stage III cancer,” tweeted Democratic Senatorial Campaign Committee spokesman Matt Canter shortly after The Associated Press called the race for Akin.

strange that he never said what the thread title says.

he does overstate the obstacle to pregnancy,but admits in the next sentence pregnancies do occur from rape.

it is rare....but not as rare as a honest discussion of abortion

he does overstate the obstacle to pregnancy,but admits in the next sentence pregnancies do occur from rape.

Bull****. How about you just say "Yes, he's wrong for saying what he said."

Someone already posted this article about pregnancies occuring from rape.

Rape-related pregnancy occurs with significant frequency. It is a cause of many unwanted pregnancies and is closely linked with family and domestic violence. As we address the epidemic of unintended pregnancies in the United States, greater attention and effort should be aimed at preventing and identifying unwanted pregnancies that result from sexual victimization.

By a totally independent non-liberally biased site.

You can't have a legitimate discussion about abortion if your stance on abortion is "all abortion is wrong in every case except maybe in the case of a women's health, maybe."

He doesn't "overstate the obstacle to pregnancy", he not only shows an extreme lack of tact, but also a complete and utter lack of knowledge of basic human physiology, while also implying that some rape is "legitimate rape" and that other rape is just...I don't know, rape that happens on Tuesday. Every ****ing rape is a "legitimate rape", and no females body suddenly STOPS doing what it's designed to do just because they are getting raped.

There is one kind of rape. And not only does the bonehead think that there are "legitimate rapes" and illegitimate rape, he would have a woman who has been raped CARRY THEIR RAPIST'S CHILD TO TERM.

Because **** the innocence of the woman who was raped. Nope, the innocence of a child they didn't ask for, forced upon them by a rapist, takes precedence over their own.

What a creepy, disgusting, brutal, slimy world view to have. Present company included.

She is/was losing by 11 points up until today, I wouldn't say she has nothing to worry about.

The sad thing is he probably still wins, and makes it into one of the most exclusive and powerful organizations in the world.

---------- Post added August-19th-2012 at 10:25 PM ----------

This is a perfect example of a dishonest discussion of abortion.

Edit: While this may not kill Akin's chances it certainly does not help the Republican party's standing with women.

I think his mistake wasn't in overstating the obstacle to pregnancy. In seeking to support his position on abortion he suggested pregnant rape victims may not be victims of "legitimate" rape. That is what saying "If it's a legitimate rape, the female body has ways to try to shut that whole thing down," implies fairly obviously.

If he believes rape is murder none of this is necessary. Rape, legitimate or not (whatever that means), does not justify murder of a third party. Prolifers view an unborn child as a innocent third party. He didn't need to question the legitimacy of pregnant rape victims or even comment on any of this. He did and now he gets to feel the sting of TWO emotionally charged issues as a result.

This is a perfect example of a dishonest discussion of abortion.

Did you watch the tape?

NCL...there is more than one kind of rape, I do agree his using the term Legitimate is stupid

consensual sex can be rape

---------- Post added August-19th-2012 at 09:49 PM ----------

Edit: While this may not kill Akin's chances it certainly does not help the Republican party's standing with women.

Which is all that matters to some people

*HEADDESK*

No, no, no, you poor, misguided, daft old man.

Rape is rape. It doesn't matter how it starts. Rape is rape. There is not "more than one kind of rape", nor can consensual sex be rape. By definition consensual sex can't be rape. The two concepts are incompatible with one another.

Did you watch the tape?

NCL...there is more than one kind of rape, I do agree his using the term Legitimate is stupid

---------- Post added August-19th-2012 at 09:49 PM ----------

Which is all that matters to some people

A) yes I did

B) Pot, Kettle, Black..You won't hear me defending Biden's nonsense in Danville.

Kids today....you never heard of statutory rape?

It...is still...RAPE! An adult having sex with a minor is still rape.

And your dumbass argument doesn't even excuse what Arkin says, because that would basically be saying that statutory rape---underage sex with a child---is a less "legitimate" form of rape. (You're going to talk about the 18 year old that has sex with their 16-17 year old boyfriend/girlfriend now, aren't you. Come on. Get it out. I know you want to.)

pregnancy from rape is rare

the highest pregnancy rates from rape are from incest and underage continuing sexual activity

Source?

the highest pregnancy rates from rape are from incest and underage continuing sexual activity

We just need to put republicans on an island and ship them off to the middle of the Atlantic. Bull**** like this is why people think America consists of ****ing idiots. Look at things rationally without religious context, and without an agenda and you'll realize how draconian the **** you are spewing is.

Evolve or degenerate.

And your dumbass argument doesn't even excuse what Arkin says, because that would basically be saying that statutory rape---underage sex with a child---is a less "legitimate" form of rape. (You're going to talk about the 18 year old that has sex with their 16-17 year old boyfriend/girlfriend now, aren't you. Come on. Get it out. I know you want to.)

I will disagree with you. There exist instances within what is considered statutory rape that I will not agree is in par with what is generally thought of as rape.

We just need to put republicans on an island and ship them off to the middle of the Atlantic. Bull**** like this is why people think America consists of ****ing idiots. Look at things rationally without religious context, and without an agenda and you'll realize how draconian the **** you are spewing is.

Evolve or degenerate.

1- Why no religious context? I have one and think the statement made is incredibly stupid.

2- who thinks America consists of idiots? I see this all the time and can't think of any major global player that happens to be highly regarded.

---------- Post added August-19th-2012 at 11:25 PM ----------

If anyone wants to know how these embarrassingly stupid people continue to get elected, your answer is right here in this thread

The two party system? I want to eleven the idiots would lose otherwise. I need to believe it! :)

I will disagree with you. There exist instances within what is considered statutory rape that I will not agree is in par with what is generally thought of as rape.

But does the female body block impregnation in cases of statutory rape vs what is more conventionally thought of as rape? I agree with your assessment, but you're getting into a very grey area. TWA wants to move the discussion from the idiotic statement of a guy who will probably represent the state of Missouri into a discussion of whether the government should have to pay for Lolita's abortion. Or whether she should have a right to one at all.

Source?

Coulda swore my dumbass just said consensual sex can be rape

my source is the NCVS study cited earlier...and common sense

http://cmsac.org/education-safety-reporting/facts-and-statistics/

This calculation does not account for the following factors which could raise the actual number of pregnancies:

Medical estimates of a 5% pregnancy rate are for one-time, unprotected sexual intercourse. Some victimization’s may include multiple incidents of intercourse.

Because of methodology, NCVS does not measure the victimization of Americans age 12 or younger. Rapes of these young people could result in pregnancies not accounted for in RAINN estimates

Pregnancy from rape is rare. But he makes it sound like we should dismiss those cases as unimportant because they're "rare."

Archived