Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Raw Story: GOP Senate nominee: Women don’t get pregnant from ‘legitimate’ rapes

Burgold

This is what happens when the GOP succumbs to their own stupid ideological propaganda in order to attack/discredit anything they disagree with. I could EASILY see Akin taking the results of a study about stress and translate that into some mechanism against rape :ols: then thinking that if you got pregnant, then you must have made up the story about being raped to begin with.

"This message is hidden because Buford is on your ignore list."

Can someone tell me what he's blathering about now?

Something about hula hoops, a water pump and a blind pit bull. Don't ask me I'm confused too.

over 270 posts in this thread and most of them are folks arguing with a guy who's defending a Congressman who's already said he was wrong on this point. You guys are getting trolled out of your shoes here Apparently he's not dropping out and wants to become some sort of extremist martyr or something.

I am fully aware I am probably falling for Kilmer's joke.

Is this conversation really ****ing happening? WTF is wrong with you people? How the **** are we going to end wars, help the poor, keep ourselves educated and fix our infrastructure if elected officials don't even understand how a woman gets pregnant?

This is ****ing beyond stupid.

Is this conversation really ****ing happening? WTF is wrong with you people? How the **** are we going to end wars, help the poor, keep ourselves educated and fix our infrastructure if elected officials don't even understand how a woman gets pregnant?

This is ****ing beyond stupid.

A few months ago they didn't know how birth control worked. Understanding pregnancy is asking too much.

Again, let me be very clear....I'm perfectly understanding that we're all in agreeance that the phrase he used is wrong. The issue seems to be that you somehow agree with the concept behind it, and that he was simply wrong in the way he phrased or labeled it. If I'm wrong on this, my apologies but that's what I'm getting from this.

there is no evidence it is a rape defence,therefore he is wrong in phrasing and fact.

I mention the stress factor in a effort to understand/demonstrate how he and others have reached that conclusion.

Henry....trying to hard is not necessary for the stress affect from what I gather,though that can be stressful

I would imagine he simply knew something happens that hinders conception and assigned it to rape defence

perhaps he will explain

"This message is hidden because Buford is on your ignore list."

Can someone tell me what he's blathering about now?

Irony.

---------- Post added August-21st-2012 at 06:55 PM ----------

there is no evidence it is a rape defence,therefore he is wrong in phrasing and fact.

I mention the stress factor in a effort to understand/demonstrate how he and others have reached that conclusion.

Henry....trying to hard is not necessary for the stress affect from what I gather,though that can be stressful

I would imagine he simply knew something happens that hinders conception and assigned it to rape defence

perhaps he will explain

It doesn't work that way.

You cited an article that said that women who are actively trying to get pregnant may have trouble conceiving due to chronic stress. CHRONIC stress. As in stress from work and what not compounded with the stress of trying to conceive, and that chronic stress can prevent ovulation and the like from occuring.

What you are implying is that the sudden stress from being raped will stop an egg that's already been released due to ovulation from becoming fertilized. Which isn't true. Like, at all.

Until the men on here and elsewhere get outfitted with women's reproductive organs and know for sure how they work, STFU. I hope I don't get banned for the abbreviation. If I have violated the Rules, let me know and I'll change it. But I'm seriously angry at these continued conversations by men about a woman's reproductive capability and freedom. And I know a lot of women who feel the same way I do. Men might not be hearing what women are saying, but the conversations are happening.

Until the men on here and elsewhere get outfitted with women's reproductive organs and know for sure how they work, STFU. I hope I don't get banned for the abbreviation. If I have violated the Rules, let me know and I'll change it. But I'm seriously angry at these continued conversations by men about a woman's reproductive capability and freedom. And I know a lot of women who feel the same way I do. Men might not be hearing what women are saying, but the conversations are happening.

I think the majority of men on here understand how a females reproductive organs work.

I think I've got the basic gist down. I got an A in health. And, you know, common sense.

I'm not talking to you men that get it. I'm addressing the ones who are deliberately obtuse or woefully uneducated.

These people drive cars, I think they know how a woman gets pregnant.

I think the problem is the comfort level on both sides, at just making up your own facts and truths. Although they do seem to be slipping to absurd levels now.

Are you advocating that men play no role at all in any legislation relating to health matters of women?

It doesn't work that way.

You cited an article that said that women who are actively trying to get pregnant may have trouble conceiving due to chronic stress. CHRONIC stress. As in stress from work and what not compounded with the stress of trying to conceive, and that chronic stress can prevent ovulation and the like from occuring.

What you are implying is that the sudden stress from being raped will stop an egg that's already been released due to ovulation from becoming fertilized. Which isn't true. Like, at all.

I also cited the study showing stress at the moment has been shown affect getting pregnant.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17573075

\

Abstract

Physical or emotional stress can affect the female reproductive physiology and angiotensin II (Ang II) is a hormone that participates in the stress response and also in the control of reproductive hormones. The present study aimed at evaluating the effects of acute stress in the morning and afternoon of proestrus on sexual behavior and ovulation and the participation of Ang II in the stress-induced effects. Female rats with regular estrous cycles were used. Several different stress protocols were tested in the morning and in the afternoon of proestrus: restraint stress 10 min; restraint stress 1 h and ether stress, respectively. The participation of Ang II was evaluated by injecting Ang II receptor antagonists (losartan and PD123319) 15 min before stress. The lordosis quotient was recorded and the number of oocytes was counted. Plasma levels of luteinizing hormone, progesterone, prolactin and corticosterone were measured. All types of stress in the morning of proestrus induced a reduction in the number of oocytes. Restraint stress (1 h) in the afternoon of proestrus induced a significant reduction in the lordosis quotient. Peripheral and central losartan, but not PD123319, injections partly reverted the effects of stress on ovulation in the morning of proestrus. Acute stress in the morning of proestrus also reduced luteinizing hormone, progesterone and prolactin surges later on the same day. In conclusion, acute stress on the day of proestrus can affect female reproductive physiology. Moreover, the angiotensinergic system, through AT(1) receptors, participates in the effects of acute stress in the morning of proestrus.

want to try again?

Archived