Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Meta World Peace.... not so peaceful

illone

The motion that he was making was the same motion that you would make if you are beating your chest. I see the same move done by guys all the time. If you swing wildly and throw caution to the wind, that's one of the things that you run the risk of happening, and in fact that's what happened.

It wouldn't shock me to find out that he did it intentionally based off World Peace's past. However, I can't say with any sense of doubt that he did do it intentionally because it doesn't look intentional from the video.

Please tell me you're just playing Devil's advocate here... He clearly felt Harden there. He may not have been thinking about the consequences, but it looks as intentional as it gets without a written formal declaration.

The motion that he was making was the same motion that you would make if you are beating your chest. I see the same move done by guys all the time. If you swing wildly and throw caution to the wind, that's one of the things that you run the risk of happening, and in fact that's what happened.

It wouldn't shock me to find out that he did it intentionally based off World Peace's past. However, I can't say with any sense of doubt that he did do it intentionally because it doesn't look intentional from the video.

Are you kidding me? This thread is readable except for your posts. What is your "first hand" experience? And where do you see this kind of stuff? It's the same motion you make when you pound your chest? Where is Ron Artest's chest? On his back? He ****ed back, felt Harden touching him, and swung his elbow high (while torquing his torso) to hit him. Of course it was intentional. If it were even 10% accidental, he would of stopped, turned around and helped Harden out. It was planned. Artest/World Peace didn't even flinch afterwards. I flinch more when I almost accidently run into someone with my shopping cart coming out of an aisle in the grocery store (and I apologize).

But please, inform me of your first hand experience in these type of situations and your source of heightened situational awareness (or lack thereof)... And NBA2k12 doesn't count.

Also, based off your logic, a quarterback's pocket presence is pure luck/magic because the QB is not even looking at the defender when he reacts to his pursuit. The QB knows he's there, and could probably throw an accurate, blind backhand punch at the guys facemask if he really wanted to (be sure to go high, QB).

Are you joking? I hope you're joking. This has to be a joke.

Because when I celebrate and feel someone brush up against me, I turn and cold **** the son of a ***** right between the eyes, completely and utterly unintentionally. I do it harder if it's a woman.

19236698.jpg

Any hockey fans in here?

I have seen them defend things that are much more premeditated than this as "part of the game" of hockey. Just curious how they feel.

Not calling hockey fans out or stirring the pot - this is a genuine question.

Any hockey fans in here?

I have seen them defend things that are much more premeditated than this as "part of the game" of hockey. Just curious how they feel.

It's also something that I refer to when the word thug pops up.

Any hockey fans in here?

Big hockey fan. I think Raffi Torres should have been banned for more than 25 games for his hit on Alfredsson. That, like the elbow, was an intentional expression of anger. Similar to the Artest issue, I don't know if Torres intended to hurt Alfredsson at some point in the game, or if it was a crime of opportunity, but the bottom line is that the hit was intentional. Just like Artest -- which is why I think Artest should get a major suspension, if not a banning.

In general, I have no patience for intent to injure in hockey -- except in the case where two willing combatants drop the gloves and square off. In that case, I believe it's a fair fight and what happens, happens.

You know, I was watching that 30 for 30 about the Malice in the Palace. Everyone was shocked at the severity of the punishments for it. It basically buried the Pacers for half a decade. I think the same could happen here. Not that'll bury the Lakers, but that Artest could really be punished more than people are thinking. I could see the rest of this year plus 20 games. It's pretty bad.

Any hockey fans in here?

I'm a huge hockey fan...and I don't see how Artest's elbow is in any way, shape, or form correlated to something "premeditated" that a hockey fan would defend. That was as vicious of an elbow as you'll see.

---------- Post added April-23rd-2012 at 01:33 PM ----------

You know, I was watching that 30 for 30 about the Malice in the Palace. Everyone was shocked at the severity of the punishments for it. It basically buried the Pacers for half a decade. I think the same could happen here. Not that'll bury the Lakers, but that Artest could really be punished more than people are thinking. I could see the rest of this year plus 20 games. It's pretty bad.

I HIGHLY recommend this article:

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/7612311/an-oral-history-malice-palace

Some NSFW language in there...but it's an amazing account of everything that went down that night.

So when you beat your chest, you take your left arm and move it all the way to the outside of your right shoulder and then "pull" your arm to the left? I don't know about you, but all I have to do is move my left elbow to accomplish that. I call shenanigans and you're just making excuses for him and your opinion.

---------- Post added April-23rd-2012 at 01:45 PM ----------

Big hockey fan. I think Raffi Torres should have been banned for more than 25 games for his hit on Alfredsson. That, like the elbow, was an intentional expression of anger. Similar to the Artest issue, I don't know if Torres intended to hurt Alfredsson at some point in the game, or if it was a crime of opportunity, but the bottom line is that the hit was intentional. Just like Artest -- which is why I think Artest should get a major suspension, if not a banning.

In general, I have no patience for intent to injure in hockey -- except in the case where two willing combatants drop the gloves and square off. In that case, I believe it's a fair fight and what happens, happens.

I think it was Hossa, not Alfredsson.

Disillusioned Metta World Peace Changes His Name to Military Industrial Complex

Saying that he has a “new, more realistic outlook on the world,” Lakers forward Metta World Peace officially filed paperwork today to change his name to Military Industrial Complex.

“I am older and wiser today that I was at 31 when I changed my name to Metta World Peace. I am 32 now,” said Complex, who was originally known as Ron Artest. “I no longer have that naive, idealistic viewpoint of the world. True world peace is not realistic. That sounds cold, but it’s the truth. There’s some ugly **** in the world. All we can do is look out for ourselves. For our own safety and wealth. That’s all that matters.”

Complex says he now feels foolish to have called himself World Peace.

“It was a sign of weakness,” he said. “I can’t be weak in a world full of death and war and flagrant fouls.”

Click on the link for the rest

Any hockey fans in here?

Yeah, the Torres hit is very similar to this Artest hit, and it will be interesting to see how the suspensions compare. There is a quote from Jonathan Toews that is along the lines of Predicto's comment about people saying that these are normal hockey plays:

"(Torres) is going to have to live with that," Hawks captain Jonathan Toews said before Game 5. "Maybe he doesn't think it was such a normal hockey play anymore."

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/hockey/blackhawks/ct-spt-0422-side-blackhawks-coyotes-chicago--20120422,0,1741133.story

The NHL is starting to take this a lot more seriously, just like the NBA and the NFL. Every sport has a kind of love/hate relationship with this kind of violence, but I think we're seeing the tide turning in recent years.

I think the major difference is that in Hockey, such a move would be dealt with on the ice if not immediately, then certainly soon thereafter, if not to the perpetrator, then most likely one of his teammates.

Hockey tends to govern itself in that fashion, so the cheap hits are dealt with, and therefor arent as common. Pads and helmets help too.

I think the major difference is that in Hockey, such a move would be dealt with on the ice if not immediately, then certainly soon thereafter, if not to the perpetrator, then most likely one of his teammates.

Hockey tends to govern itself in that fashion, so the cheap hits are dealt with, and therefor arent as common. Pads and helmets help too.

Cheap hits aren't as common in the NHL? Really?

I guess it depends on your definition.

Hockey players police themselves, that's the more important point.

They police themselves by throwing a lot of little cheap hits back and forth (and also by fighting, as noted by PP below). That's not really allowed in basketball.

Any hockey fans in here?

Fighting is a part of hockey, but that is two players deciding to duke it out, and it's on ice so you can't get full force on your blows or you'll just slip and fall. I am against cheap shots and you'll see people calling out the type of player that plays dirty. Up until this season, Matt Cooke has been known for throwing out flying elbows and blind-side hits to the head, and people hated him for it. Sean Avery was hated league-wide because he was a cheap-shot artist who would run away whenever anyone challenged him to a fight following one of his cheap-shots. There's been a lot of head-hunting lately and thankfully the league is trying to crack down on it (Raffi Torres was just recently handed a 25 game suspension). I have no respect for players who just go out there to play dirty with their flying elbows, blind-side hits to the heads, etc., while on the other hand I respect guys who will drop the gloves coming to the defense of their teammates.

Disillusioned Metta World Peace Changes His Name to Military Industrial Complex

Saying that he has a “new, more realistic outlook on the world,” Lakers forward Metta World Peace officially filed paperwork today to change his name to Military Industrial Complex.

Complex says he now feels foolish to have called himself World Peace.

“It was a sign of weakness,” he said. “I can’t be weak in a world full of death and war and flagrant fouls.”

Click on the link for the rest

Military Industrial Complex is much wiser than Metta World Peace. Not foolish at all.

Seriously though what is going on inside of this idiot's head? Only thing I can think of is that he wants attention.

The fact that Torres' hit in the NHL occurred while the puck was in play and Artest's elbow occured during a dead ball probably makes a difference as well. Had Torres hit someone the way he did while people were waiting for a faceoff, you could probably expect a bigger punishment.

Archived