Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Meta World Peace.... not so peaceful

illone

it actually doesn't seem like that big deal to me... he was chest thumping, and then did roughly brush off whomever was pushed against him, but that was it.

ejection from the game was appropriate, and that is enough. imho.

(for what its worth, i hate the lakers, but actually think the whole Detroit thing was overblown for Artest as well--- although Steven Jackson was on shakier ground in that instance, in my opinion)

Back to hockey real quick, I recently read a thing somewhere that talked about why hockey was the one sport that allowed fighting. The writers answer was, the ice. When you're skating, unlike on a field or court, you really can't set your feet and unload on someone. Thus the fights aren't that vicious. I mean how many people have you seen knocked out cold in a hockey fight?

There is some truth in that. Punching power (like pitching power and pretty much anything else in sports) is mostly generated from the legs. That's why the refs step in as soon as a fight goes to the ground.

Inside the mind of meta world peace:

"man what a play that felt good and the crowd's going nuts, let's give them a little chest pound to let them know we're getting this game back!"

"what?! some guy want's to try and check me while i'm obviously celebrating?!"

"everyone thinks i'm crazy anyway i'll just tell them i was celebrating"

metta world peace's thoughts according to people on here who think it was unintentional:

"man i am so happy and level headed, i should throw my arms around some to celebrate!"

"the air in the stadium is really thick tonight, it almost felt like i made contact with someone during my celebratory arm flail. i also felt the cool breeze of another human being crumpling to the floor beside me, but that's totally unrelated to my elbow driving celebration!"

seriously though, he knocked a man out and this was no small man either. he was pumped after the dunk and felt the guy check him and threw an elbow to clear him off. obviously if it was an accident he would have stopped instead of skipping down the court. as has been pointed out and is blatently obvious, if he didn't know who he hit he would have been concerned he just knocked out one of his teammates.

It was a pretty wreckless play, but it certainly wasn't intentional.

It's pretty hard to tell, but the best angle that we have is the one in the op which is this:

http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/1076137/elbow_medium.gif

He doesn't look at him until after he's already throwing the elbow. Should be suspended at least a game for wreckless behavior, but it certainly doesn't look intentional to me.

By your repeated use of "wreckless" and your interpretation of this incident as an "accident" I am forced to assume that you've been sniffing a lot of glue lately. And no, your other posts in this thread are not helping your cause.

it actually doesn't seem like that big deal to me... he was chest thumping, and then did roughly brush off whomever was pushed against him, but that was it.

ejection from the game was appropriate, and that is enough. imho.

(for what its worth, i hate the lakers, but actually think the whole Detroit thing was overblown for Artest as well--- although Steven Jackson was on shakier ground in that instance, in my opinion)

That interpretation of events is utterly incomprehensible to me. Everything about the sequence of events and MWP's body language points to that being an intentional blow. He may not have wanted to concuss the guy but he very clearly want to hit him in the head once they made contact.

You guys need to stop and remember who you're talking about when you say that the elbow to a guy's head was unintentional...

he didn't even look back to see if the guy was alright, make a "my bad" gesture, or anything. That kinda makes him look guilty IMO. I'm sure he felt his elbow slam violently into another player. If it were truly a mistake, most folks would turn around and see if the guy is alright.

Am I the only one surprised that Stern hasn't acted on this yet? I mean I was checking twitter yesterday waiting for the suspension to come down. Still nothing.

I was thinking the same thing. He is going to have to say or do something about it. What's the hold up ?

You guys need to stop and remember who you're talking about when you say that the elbow to a guy's head was unintentional...

he didn't even look back to see if the guy was alright, make a "my bad" gesture, or anything. That kinda makes him look guilty IMO. I'm sure he felt his elbow slam violently into another player. If it were truly a mistake, most folks would turn around and see if the guy is alright.

I don't agree that in this instance that his past has anything to do with the present. I do agree that it certainly looks worse because he never took a moment to turn around after contact. Harden is a flopper and went to that spot to draw a foul, but Artest should have at least turned around to say 'oops, my bad, you okay?'. I caught an elbow like that once and in the moment it wasn't intentional, but the guy was like 'you okay kid,sorry about that'. I didn't fall to the ground or stop playing though, it was an elbow to clear space. Stunned the hell out of me at the moment though, haha.

I caught an elbow like that once and in the moment it wasn't intentional, but the guy was like 'you okay kid,sorry about that'. I didn't fall to the ground or stop playing though, it was an elbow to clear space. Stunned the hell out of me at the moment though, haha.

Then you didn't catch an elbow like that. You may have caught an elbow, but not an elbow like that.

Then you didn't catch an elbow like that. You may have caught an elbow, but not an elbow like that.

That elbow is not knocking the typical guy down and certainly not out. He did nail him, but if you watch it, he made contact with the shoulder and it slid up to his head. He didn't even get the brunt of the contact to his head. Seriously, it is part flop.

That elbow is not knocking the typical guy down and certainly not out. He did nail him, but if you watch it, he made contact with the shoulder and it slid up to his head. He didn't even get the brunt of the contact to his head. Seriously, it is part flop.

Harden got a concussion and will miss time. That's not how flops usually work. The brunt of the contact was definitely to the head, too.

Lakers fans going to the ends of the earth to explain away a vicious elbow??

Nothing to see here, move along...........

Damn.............

Archived