Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Meta World Peace.... not so peaceful

illone

Metta has serious impulse control problems. I doubt he really planned to do anything and after it was over, he wondered why the hell he did it.

well said. i think thats also why he's sticking to his 'unintentional' story, cuz hes wondering why the hell he did it.

him not owning it is maddening and makes it worse. maybe he feels like if he keep repeating 'unintentional' it will make it so.

alot of psychological games going on here.

Artest being Artest.

I've watched this replay and the different angles for two days now and how anyone can say that it wasn't intentional is beyond me. Even if it is "unintentional" because of impulse control issues, it is still intentional, accidents happen when you didn't know someone was there, but clearly the other player is directly in front of Artest, and while a player's track record is not necessarily an indictment of current behavior it certainly does illustrate certain trajectories.

I can't even figure out what happened. Everyone busts on Artest, and he deserves it, but he appeared to be celebrating with the chest-pounding, so that doesn't seem like a moment when he would lose control of some sort of anger, and he wasn't even looking at Hardin (but had to know someone was there given how much their bodies were touching). I could definitely see him getting pissed off about a hard foul or something and doing this, but I really don't have any idea what I'm looking at here. It's like seeing him run down the court clapping, then kick another player in the crotch out of the blue. That seems like something that would fit more with Delonte West's brand of crazy, not Artest's.

That's what I saw. I think he was just being stupid and clumsy here. Artest is a man-child and this is proof of it.

I don't care for basketball. There are very few players I could name based on their face, and the thread used some nickname I was unfamiliar with.

I'm with you, Poker. I really don't care about basketball at all, so I don't know anything about this Artest character. Honestly though, seeing how he changed his name to "Meta World Peace," I'm not surprised he didn't think before he elbowed someone in the face. Judging from the video, he's a scum bag who should be suspended indefinitely.

*shrugs*

jk

but seriously, he's not playing with a full-deck. EVERYONE knows this. He's been a GREAT citizen in the NBA since what happened at the Palace, but to think a man who has mental problems is all of a sudden "cured" because he's gone a while without incident, is foolish.

Unfortunate what happened to Harden (and did yall see the fear in the entire OKC squad when Ron squared up?? LOL...no one wanted any...and for good reason). If it were up to me, he'd be suspended for the rest of the regular season and the 1st round of the playoffs.

He has to get 10 games at least. Lakers only have one more game, and that elbow was intentional. RA15, you're right, he's not playing with a full-deck, and everyone knows that. Glad it didn't get too out of control like the Palace scrum back in 2004.

American football will *never* be the most popular sport in the world. Ever. The rest of the world has made that pretty clear.

Yep that sport is played with a round ball, heck the NFL isn't even the most televised sport in the world. Take Tom Brady and drop him off in any random city in the world (outside of the US) and he's just another American tourist, take Messi or Ronaldo and drop them off in any random city in the entire world (again outside of the US) and they are kings.

---------- Post added April-23rd-2012 at 09:06 AM ----------

Almost feels like something akin to road rage. Sure, he didn't plan to pop Harden, but when Harden got in the way of his celebration he had that momentary surge of anger and responded perhaps without "thinking" but with intent.

Yep, that's what it looked like, and I really want to give him the benefit of the doubt which means I want to say it was road rage, because if it wasn't then what he did was malicious. Seriously, if a player truly accidentally does that then his first move is the OMG moment and then helping the player off the floor...Artest kept trotting. It's almost like he was just in a trance.

My thing is, when you do a gorilla fist to the chest, don't you usually hit the same area of the chest twice. He hit his chest the first time and then his fist went above his shoulder the second time meaning that he obviously adjusted his arm to strike Harden.

With that being said, I don't think he meant to give him a Jon "Bones" Jones bow to the back of the head, but he did hit him and it was a crucial blow...

He needs to be suspended for the playoffs and first 7-10 games of the season next year.

I'll trust that you know more about Krav Maga then I do. I would caution that I don't think Mr. Artest knows Krav Maga.

I really think he had just made a big play, got caught up in his emotions, wasn't paying attention, and elbowed someone. He was hitting his chest before he hit the guy and it looks like he's just trying to perform the same motion as he had before and Harden just got in the way. I've seen stuff like that happen first hand. Not that exact elbow, but arms and legs flying wildly hitting someone and causing a problem.

Bull. He wound up his arm. I don't see how you can't see that. He knew he was there. They made contract "Before" he wound up. Minimum 5 games IMO, but I'd give him 10 because of his reputation.

---------- Post added April-23rd-2012 at 10:28 AM ----------

Now is a great time for people to feel better about themselves.

I always feel good about myself, because I don't go around knocking people out with my elbow maliciously.

I don't know how anyone can defend Artest in this case. It is very clear he intentionally threw the elbow. Whether it was in the heat of the moment or not doesn't matter. Reckless play!

Sit his ass down for at least 5 games.

Almost feels like something akin to road rage. Sure, he didn't plan to pop Harden, but when Harden got in the way of his celebration he had that momentary surge of anger and responded perhaps without "thinking" but with intent.

This is it 100%. He didn't premeditate the elbow. But because Artest is a ****ing nut job, when he felt Harden beside him, he INTENTIONALLY threw the elbow.

You have to be either a blind Lakers homer or a complete idiot to think that the elbow was unintentional.

Artest obviously can't control his rage, despite all of the anger management counseling he has been mandated to receive since the early 2000's. He should be banned from the league altogether. This sort of thing will happen again in some form.

*shrugs*

jk

but seriously, he's not playing with a full-deck. EVERYONE knows this. He's been a GREAT citizen in the NBA since what happened at the Palace, but to think a man who has mental problems is all of a sudden "cured" because he's gone a while without incident, is foolish.

Unfortunate what happened to Harden (and did yall see the fear in the entire OKC squad when Ron squared up?? LOL...no one wanted any...and for good reason). If it were up to me, he'd be suspended for the rest of the regular season and the 1st round of the playoffs.

Lol. What's the deal with your screen name anyway? I think you've told it before but I vaguely remember.

And I agree. It's kind of sad because I like Artest. He doesn't seem like a bad, evil person. I thought his speech after winning the championship where he thanked his psychologist was the greatest post-championship speech ever. He's just ****ed in the head. Shame really because he's a talented guy.

---------- Post added April-23rd-2012 at 10:58 AM ----------

So it's Murder 2, not Murder 1.

You don't swing an elbow with full torso motion like that if you aren't trying to hit something. It is wholly unsatisfying to throw that kind of elbow if you don't make contact with anything. You don't throw an elbow like that into the air in celebration because it doesn't feel good or pump you up like beating on your chest does. There is not an ounce of doubt in me that the elbow was 100% malicious. I don't know who this person is, so I have no preconceived notions as to who he his. All I see is what he did and it is pure malice.

The motion that he was making was the same motion that you would make if you are beating your chest. I see the same move done by guys all the time. If you swing wildly and throw caution to the wind, that's one of the things that you run the risk of happening, and in fact that's what happened.

It wouldn't shock me to find out that he did it intentionally based off World Peace's past. However, I can't say with any sense of doubt that he did do it intentionally because it doesn't look intentional from the video.

People complain to Roger G but he is cleaning the sports because of the health issues that previous players face and making it the most popular sport in the world

In the US. Globally basketball is significantly larger than football. It might be a top three sport by now.

Archived