Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Meta World Peace.... not so peaceful

illone

The fact that Torres' hit in the NHL occurred while the puck was in play and Artest's elbow occured during a dead ball probably makes a difference as well. Had Torres hit someone the way he did while people were waiting for a faceoff, you could probably expect a bigger punishment.

most definitely.

---------- Post added April-23rd-2012 at 02:36 PM ----------

if you want a more comparable hockey incident, there was the time Marty McSorely slashed an unsuspecting Donald Brashear in the face. McSorely was expelled from the league and charged with assault. Artest/Peace/Complex/whatever-the-hell-his-name-is should be considered lucky not to suffer the same consequences.

So when you beat your chest, you take your left arm and move it all the way to the outside of your right shoulder and then "pull" your arm to the left? I don't know about you, but all I have to do is move my left elbow to accomplish that. I call shenanigans and you're just making excuses for him and your opinion.

I wouldn't call that the usual series of events, but I could see how emotions could take over and you swing wildly in celebration. Mostly because I've seen it happen first hand when playing both pick up games and in rec leagues. No not with the elbow specifically, but in general yes.

Like I said, I wouldn't be surprised to find out he did it intentionally. Wouldn't shock me. I'm just saying that it's hard to tell from that video. In addition, and maybe I'm missing something here, I don't see why he would throw an elbow at Harden like that. I guess I don't see any motive that would drive him to do that.

if you want a more comparable hockey incident, there was the time Marty McSorely slashed an unsuspecting Donald Brashear in the face. McSorely was expelled from the league and charged with assault. Artest/Peace/Complex/whatever-the-hell-his-name-is should be considered lucky not to suffer the same consequences.

The McSorely slash was assault with a weapon. I think that's worse than Artest's elbow. More like Bertuzzi on Moore.

I Wouldn't shock me. I'm just saying that it's hard to tell from that video. In addition, and maybe I'm missing something here,

I think this is the part that everyone is having a problem with. We essentially agree on what you are saying otherwise, but to say that it's hard to tell from the video is just stubborn to say the least. Everyone else see what you supposedly don't see. He rears back and clocks the guy knowing he's right behind him. It has "Zero" to do with him celebrating. I'm still not sure why you don't see that.

I think this is the part that everyone is having a problem with. We essentially agree on what you are saying otherwise, but to say that it's hard to tell from the video is just stubborn to say the least. Everyone else see what you supposedly don't see. He rears back and clocks the guy knowing he's right behind him. It has "Zero" to do with him celebrating. I'm still not sure why you don't see that.

Because I don't see Artest ever look at James Harden before he elbows him. I see him look at the crowd, but not Harden. I can see why it would seem intentional because it was so sudden, but I have yet to find an angle where he looks at Harden, swings his elbow, and hits him in the face.

If I saw (or someone showed me) an angle where he was looking at Harden, then yeah, I would be easily swayed. But until then, no.

Only on ES would you have to look at someone in order to throw an elbow, and connect.

1.) Peripheral vision

2.) It's Ron Artest, and Ron Artest has had a history of doing stuff like this, and is mentally...not all there sometimes.

3.) He's freaking raising his arm higher to throw the elbow

4.) He didn't immediately tend to Harden, and didn't give off the impression that he did it unintentionally.

5.) If Artest was in a frothing state of euphoria, it doesn't change anything, just that he isn't in his right mind.

I'm a normal person, but even I would be able to stand still, while looking forward, and still be able to make contact with someone, just by using my peripheral vision. I don't have to just be looking at you to see you. I can see you using peripheral vision, or I can feel you, or hear you, using my senses.

Every human has this ability. You wouldn't even be able to drive without it.

I can very easily elbow someone who is pressed up against me without looking at him. When teaching elbows in Krav, the instructor had to specifically teach people to look at their target first (otherwise, naturally people just went through with the elbow without looking) so you know that the person you're elbowing is actually someone you want to elbow and not a friend.

If I saw (or someone showed me) an angle where he was looking at Harden, then yeah, I would be easily swayed. But until then, no.

That's what makes it so bizarre. He just brought his elbow backed and crushed whoever was there. I assume he knew it was a Thunder player, but - in that moment - he didn't care.

I honestly think it was an instinctual protective instinct. And that tells you pretty much all you need to know about Artest. I will say, when the fight afterwards started, he had that "Palace" look in his eye. When he checks out, it is legitimately frightening.

---------- Post added April-23rd-2012 at 04:16 PM ----------

Any hockey fans in here?

I have seen them defend things that are much more premeditated than this as "part of the game" of hockey. Just curious how they feel.

Not calling hockey fans out or stirring the pot - this is a genuine question.

Hockey is like football in that it's a violent, fast-paced game.

Only a small handful of hockey fans are in favor of intentionally hurting someone. What you end up with in hockey is endless debates over "intent" and the meaning of "just part of the game."

Because I don't see Artest ever look at James Harden before he elbows him. I see him look at the crowd, but not Harden. I can see why it would seem intentional because it was so sudden, but I have yet to find an angle where he looks at Harden, swings his elbow, and hits him in the face.

Here is another point to be considered. If Artest sincerely did not know he was there, he would of surely looked back to see who he had just elbowed hardcore. What if it was a teammate? Would he not even look back to apologize to his teammate for elbowing the life out of him??

Answer is moot.. He didn't look back because he knew it was Harden, and it was what he wanted to do. If you can't see/process/understand that, you probably never will.

Hockey is like football in that it's a violent' date=' fast-paced game.

Only a small handful of hockey fans are in favor of intentionally hurting someone. What you end up with in hockey is endless debates over "intent" and the meaning of "just part of the game."[/quote']

Back to hockey real quick, I recently read a thing somewhere that talked about why hockey was the one sport that allowed fighting. The writers answer was, the ice. When you're skating, unlike on a field or court, you really can't set your feet and unload on someone. Thus the fights aren't that vicious. I mean how many people have you seen knocked out cold in a hockey fight?

Just thought that was interesting.

Archived