Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The last movie you saw......GO! (After you read the OP!!!!)

renaissance

I just saw Shang Chi and the legend of the ten rings. Watched it while working out this morning. Loved the soundtrack as it got my heart rate going. The plot, acting and fight scenes we're all good. Only problem I had, not really with the movie but with watching while working out is that I had to keep stopping to read the translations. But that was minor because I really enjoyed the movie. Especially the co lead, his friend from HS. 

• Like 1

Ron’s Gone Wrong- a nice cartoon about a robot that doesn’t quite work the way it should. Saw this B movie, a few weeks ago.

I watched the Netflix comedy Red Notice last night. Stars The Rock, Gal Gadot and Ryan Reynolds.  Also gets a B. It is also playing in movie theaters. It was released on 11/5 and then on Netflix 11/12. Think this is the first Netflix movie getting a theatrical run?

30 minutes ago, Jumbo said:

boy, red notice is a giant stinkaroo and it's three leads, all of whom i generally like, and even like a lot sometimes, are so guilty of bad on so many levels that they shouldn't be allowed to work for a year as penance

Personally, I enjoyed it for what it was. It's a silly buddy implausible action comedy. 

Plus.. Gal Gadot 😍

Edited by The Evil Genius

50 minutes ago, The Evil Genius said:

Personally, I enjoyed it for what it was. It's a silly buddy implausible action comedy. 

Plus.. Gal Gadot 😍

for me it was way worse than that and a relatively silly buddy movie was all i was expecting---it was abysmally stupid even for that genre and i noted i like the stars, esp. gal gadot, who has unfortunately pretty much sucked in her recent outings since ww 1

that aside, like music i find movies can very much be 'in the eye of the beholder' stuff...cases in point, i still think affleck's daredevil was ok inc jennifer's take on elektra in that flick (tho the following solo outing left me 'meh') and i even like affleck's batman, so i do think there's tons of leeway that should be allowed in individual preferences 🤓

plus, i should admit i've willingly watched pacific rim 1 and battleship serval times each 😛

On 11/14/2021 at 10:27 AM, Jumbo said:

boy, red notice is a giant stinkaroo and it's three leads, all of whom i generally like, and even like a lot sometimes, are so guilty of bad on so many levels that they shouldn't be allowed to work for a year as penance

I felt the same way.  I like all three, but the whole movie just seemed like it was so low effort from everyone... the plot was so weak.  It seemed like they started with an idea for a few of action scenes, and the writers were told to fill in a plot to get from one big scene to the next.  But even the action scenes made no sense.  How many prisons have a budget that makes sure the guards have access to shoulder launched missiles... but don't have the budget to build a wall to keep prisoners in?

On 11/14/2021 at 10:57 AM, The Evil Genius said:

Plus.. Gal Gadot 😍

I actually had some trouble following parts of Wonder Woman because of how attractive she is.  I would find myself staring at her, but not processing what she was saying. Kind of like Clark Griswold in Christmas Vacation with the girl behind the lingerie counter.  I would be looking at her talking then be like "Wait... What just happened?"

Edited by Nerm
  • Haha 2

Ghostbuster:Afterlife is in my mind, the real sequel to the original Ghostbusters compared to the actual sequel: Ghostbusters 2.   I'll give the movie a solid B+.   Plenty of nods to the original movie and most of the original cast do make appearances in the movie.  

Spoiler

A very touching scene using CGI to bring us Ghost Spengler- Harold Ramis. The actor died 7 years ago.   Most of the original cast members only make cameos but memorable cameos.

There are 2 credits scenes- one midway thru and one at the end of the credits.   Actually, the 2nd one leaves open the possibility of a sequel.

I really enjoyed this movie. Mckenna Grace was the real star of this movie. I loved the appearances the original cast made.  

Others may have the opposite feeling but for me, I liked the movie. 

Edited by Rdskns2000

On 11/14/2021 at 11:27 AM, Jumbo said:

I watched some of it earlier.  It was bad.  I like all three of the leads but...ugh.  Ryan Reynolds one liners just kept falling flat.

It was one of those movies where I fell asleep on the couch watching it and then was annoyed when I woke up and it was still on.

On 11/14/2021 at 2:07 PM, The Evil Genius said:

Speaking of films that people hated, I think the Thomas Jane Punisher movie with Travolta as the bad guy is an acceptable version. They didn't stick to any Punisher backstory that I know of, but I'll still watch that film any time it's on. 

I agree, it's not terrible and I will still watch it whenever it's on, too.  Hasn't aged particularly well but it's still fun.

It's based off a couple of different backstories, IIRC.  His neighbors, the fat guy and the guy with the piercings who gets them plucked out and stays silent, that's out of a Punisher series I read a long time ago, I think it was Welcome Back Frank.

On 11/14/2021 at 8:41 AM, Thinking Skins said:

I just saw Shang Chi and the legend of the ten rings. Watched it while working out this morning. Loved the soundtrack as it got my heart rate going. The plot, acting and fight scenes we're all good. Only problem I had, not really with the movie but with watching while working out is that I had to keep stopping to read the translations. But that was minor because I really enjoyed the movie. Especially the co lead, his friend from HS. 

Excellent movie and thoroughly well done. Far better than the garbage that was the latest Bond movie. 5 stars for Shang-Chi.

On 11/14/2021 at 12:15 PM, The Evil Genius said:

I think Pacific Rim 1 is a great kaiju movie.

Check out the animated series - it's very good.

Gal Gadot is hot but she can't act.  She is the contemporary Jessica Alba, with a bit more personal magnetism.  She just came up in a more progressive film industry that allowed her to star in a movie that raked in way more money than anything Alba made.  I didn't think WW was actually any good though.  And I think it has become clear that her range is so limited she can never really play characters and only has lizard brain screen appeal, but she's not a bimbo so her role for a film seems more elevated than that.

On 11/14/2021 at 9:41 AM, Thinking Skins said:

Awkwafina carried the movie IMO.  Her part was easier to play though.  I really enjoyed the movie, but I thought it was a little problematic that the central character of the film was not particularly well developed, and he had all of his scenes stolen from him by the people he shared them with.  Sima Liu definitely has the difficult stunt side down pat, he seems super likable, and he's got a calm and understated persona that works so well opposite Awkwafina.  But he really lacks the charisma of the other marvel film leads.  Boseman and Holland and Hemsworth and Mackey and Rudd and Johansson and Olsen and Hiddlesworth and RDJ and Larson and even Evans/Stan can carry a movie/show.  Your eye is drawn to them every single time they are on screen and you pay attention to every word they say.  I'm not sure that's true about Liu.  The other thing is Liu's portrayal of Shang as kind of the normal guy in a wild and mystical world doesn't really work given he's not normal at all.  His hyper militant and magical upbringing clashes with his laid back, well adjusted adult character and makes him incoherent.

I think the director went away from the Marvel formula a bit too much with this movie, to where I'm not sure how they're going to be able to do good sequels.  This one was collaborative and fun and Tony Leung is always incredible, but the main character feels too thin to anchor a franchise.

Just watched No Time to Die.  Great movie. And Daniel Craig is absolutely the best Bond. 

There were things in it that I thought were so terrible that they should have ruined the movie. And still, it was a great film. 

Edited by Larry

22 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Awkwafina carried the movie IMO.  Her part was easier to play though.  I really enjoyed the movie, but I thought it was a little problematic that the central character of the film was not particularly well developed, and he had all of his scenes stolen from him by the people he shared them with.  Sima Liu definitely has the difficult stunt side down pat, he seems super likable, and he's got a calm and understated persona that works so well opposite Awkwafina.  But he really lacks the charisma of the other marvel film leads.  Boseman and Holland and Hemsworth and Mackey and Rudd and Johansson and Olsen and Hiddlesworth and RDJ and Larson and even Evans/Stan can carry a movie/show.  Your eye is drawn to them every single time they are on screen and you pay attention to every word they say.  I'm not sure that's true about Liu.  The other thing is Liu's portrayal of Shang as kind of the normal guy in a wild and mystical world doesn't really work given he's not normal at all.  His hyper militant and magical upbringing clashes with his laid back, well adjusted adult character and makes him incoherent.

I think the director went away from the Marvel formula a bit too much with this movie, to where I'm not sure how they're going to be able to do good sequels.  This one was collaborative and fun and Tony Leung is always incredible, but the main character feels too thin to anchor a franchise.

This was way more movie theoretical than I was ready for. I will say that he's probably a better lead than Captain Marvel. I liked the movie but the character is less charasmatic than mostly anybody in MCU. I think Leung was dripping with it and it made the movie enjoyable. People were saying it was top or top two in terms of origin stories in MCU. 

Sad far as sequels, I didn't think GOTG could have sequels and it did. I just don't put it past them especially with this universe. I thought they did a good job not depending on too many other heroes unlike Spider-Man where he was basically iron man Jr. 

On 11/20/2021 at 11:02 AM, Califan007 said:

Watched this again...probably haven't seen it in like 20 years. Forgot how good it is...👍

(NSFW for language)

Legendary.

A remake was announced for it. No ****ing clue why. I'm sure it will be as embarrassing as most remakes.

• Like 1

On 11/20/2021 at 9:56 AM, stevemcqueen1 said:

Yeah I agree with this. He just doesn't have that all eyes on me charisma that others in the MCU have.

Henry Golding would have been a better choice.