Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The last movie you saw......GO! (After you read the OP!!!!)

renaissance

1 minute ago, JCB said:

My only problem is I can never decide which one I love more. Probably 2 for the historical/DeNiro stuff, but they're both timeless.

It's hard.  I don't like the historical DeNiro stuff that much, except when he takes out the boss in NYC...but the historical stuff, for me, is offset by all the Cuba/Vegas stuff.  Also, the scene where his wife drops that it was an abortion...his reaction, holy ****.  

• Like 1

The House, on Netflix.  One of the weirder movies I've seen in a while.  Anthology (three stories total) about three different people living in the same house at different time periods.

I was expecting Fantastic Mr Fox or Isle of Dogs vibes...I couldn't have been more off.  

The stop-motion was beautiful and eerily lifelike, but the movie leaves its viewers with more questions than answers...which, I think was the point, but wasn't a fan.

683606246_large_the-house-poster(1).jpeg.7851f27e8b668db17f9f1fc198262a98.jpeg

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/17/2022 at 1:15 PM, AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy said:

I’m team Godafther 1. Give me Brando all day, and it’s not that close for me. Not dumping on 2, I just think the original is a much more polished film. Also like the “straight” narrative opposed to flashbacks, etc. 

I think part 2 is a much more modern movie despite being made only like 2 years later. There are scenes in part 1 like Sonny going to answer the phone where it just follows him going into another room and picking up the phone, talking and coming back that could have been cut around. stuff like that. But that’s also one reason why I adore that movie. You spend so much time with the family as they talk and figure things out and plan. It feels like you are in the compound with them. 

Part 2 flows better to me with the juxtaposition of the way Vito built his empire through respect and favors etc with the way Michael is destroying it through lies, power plays, and vengeance. 

That said, Part 2 suffers simply for not having Brando in it. He is such a force multiplier in part 1 and hangs over the entire movie even when he isn’t in the scene. DeNiro is just not Brando’s character. I’d give the edge to part 1 because while there are pros and cons between the two movies, nothing outweighs Brando’s performance. It’s also really unfortunate that Clemenza couldn’t return to take the role of Pentangelli in part 2. If that is Clemenza, part 2 gets a bit boost to me. 

though I think the ending of 2 is even better than the ending of 1 especially with the surprise birthday party scene and return of Caan as Sonny leading into the final shot of Michael old and alone. 

like picking favorite children though, really. Hell it’s probably more difficult, neither of these movies have been little ****s before lol. They’re just perfect all the way through. Part 1 is just more perfect 

• Like 1

What is the best western of all time and why is it 3:10 to Yuma from 2007?

Just a perfect movie with an absolutely magical performance from Russell Crowe as outlaw Ben Wade. It’s impossible to take your eyes off him he’s so good in this. I also love Christian Bale and Ben Foster’s performances too. The dialogue is great. Way beyond what you would normally get for a western. The world feels real, it’s a dirty gritty nasty old west. There are so many memorable characterizations and little details such as Crowe’s ability to recite bible verses during philosophical observations despite only reading it once, or the curse of his gun, the Hand of God, or the weight of responsibility and redemption that Bale’s destitute and shamed rancher Dan carries through the movie. And of course the best thing is the dynamic between Crowe and Bale. 

Soundtrack goes hard too. 

• Like 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

11 minutes ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

Just a perfect movie with an absolutely magical performance from Russell Crowe as outlaw Ben Wade. 

Preach.  Great movie 💪🏽

"They're gonna hang me in the mornin'...."

Spoiler

tenor.png.36c3ee1407044826301b723d35888e48.png

• Like 1

On 1/17/2022 at 5:51 PM, Renegade7 said:

Word on the street is Matrix 4 bombed so bad in the box office that plans for Matrix 5 are tabled.  Thank God, it seems either you love or hate that movie, there is no in between.

The first one was close to perfect.  Re-watched it a few weeks ago and it's still great.

Each one after has gotten progressively worse.  I couldn't even make it past the first 20 minutes of the most recent one.  IMO, they've all been such cluster****s that they've overshadowed how good the first one was.  I don't think people really remember it.

4 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Each one after has gotten progressively worse.  I couldn't even make it past the first 20 minutes of the most recent one.  IMO, they've all been such cluster****s that they've overshadowed how good the first one was.  I don't think people really remember it.

had the same experience. Went back and watched all 3 recently and was blown away by how awesome the first one still is. Even better than I remember. I liked 2-3 more than I did the first time I watched them in high school for sure. I appreciate now what they were trying to do and be and a lot for the philosophical stuff went way over my head the first time that I felt much better about this time. 

I was ok with the most recent one too. I liked the meta/video game aspect. I felt that was a neat way the computers broke Neo again. And the two halves of a whole thing worked well. It had some good stuff to say and left things in a good spot to me a few glaring questions. Some characters like Morpheus and smith tho are completely wasted and pointless imo. I couldn’t tell you what their motivations were which was bad. Overall tho, not a bad follow up that stayed true to the ideas of the trilogy 

1 minute ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

The first one was close to perfect.  Re-watched it a few weeks ago and it's still great.

Real movie facts:

Star Wars had 3 movies give or take

Matrix and Pirates of the Carribean had 1 movie each

Indiana Jones only had 3 movies rounding up

The last dragon is Shonuf the best kung fu movie ever.

1 minute ago, Jabbyrwock said:

The last dragon is Shonuf the best kung fu movie ever.

That's a big genre, but goddamn that is a great movie.  It's in the conversation.

Appropriately cheesy 80s.  Good action.  Vanity was smokin hot.  Sho'Nuff, great bad guy.  Catching the bullet with his teeth, are you kidding me?

I swear to Christ I have been listening to this at the gym for the past three weeks, it gets me so fired up.  Anyone can make fun of me, I don't give a ****.

• Like 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

The Devil To Pay, on Amazon Prime.  "After the disappearance of her husband, a struggling farmer in an isolated Appalachian community fights to save her son when the cold-hearted matriarch of the oldest family on the mountain demands payment of a debt that could destroy a decade's old truce."

At 90% on rotten, one of the things some critics really enjoyed about this film was the accurate portrayal of Appalachian culture.  Law enforcement doesn't really meddle, they have their own rules.  People talked about taking up issues with the area council.  Lots of WV slang and culture that I didn't understand.  

At just 80 minutes, it's a quick, brutal revenge thriller.  It felt very South Korean.  No fluff, no back stories, no bull****.  Just moonshine, double barrels, a 1983 GMC Jimmy, and bloodshed.  

"Find your husband, return what's mine...or I'll murder your boy, and bury you alive right next to him." 

Edited by Chew
  • Like 3

I loved 3:10 to Yuma, but I don't think it is the best Western movie.  For my money, that still goes to Unforgiven.  Unforgiven has the architype of the gun slinger along with a great cast.  It's hard to beat Eastwood as the retired broken down hero along with Morgan Freeman and Gene Hackman.

The plot has everything from the retired gun slingers turned broken down farmers trying to make one last run to right a wrong (cowboy cutting up a whore) and make enough money to get back on their feet.  It has Gene Hackman as the no nonsense sheriff deconstructing many of the myths about gun slingers to a story teller.  Then he meets up with the retired gun slinger...   

96% approval on rotten Tomatoes isn't shabby either.

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/1041911-unforgiven

Edited by gbear
  • Like 2

Days of Thunder.

A movie that's so bad that it's great.  It's fantastic.  And I'd argue that pulling off the terrible movie/but it's great judo move is probably the hardest thing to do.  Anyone can make a **** movie, plenty of people have and it looks like @88Comrade2000went to go see one this weekend.  There are a lot of great movies out there.  But to make a bad movie that people still really enjoy?  Hard to do, man, hard to do.

Days of Thunder is a movie I can watch anytime, anywhere.  It's so ridiculously bad that it's fantastic.  That whole wheelchair scene between Tom Cruise and Michael Rooker?  And then they **** up the rental cars on the way to their meal with the NASCAR commissioner?  Randy Quaid talking about a monkey ****ing a football?  The whole schtick with the stripper dressed up as a cop and then Cruise later thinks that Nicole Kidman is doing the same thing but she's actually the doctor?  

I could go on and on.  It's 1990 cheese at it's finest, Top Gun with NASCAR.  It's the only way I'd watch anything close to NASCAR.  

A+ 

6 hours ago, gbear said:

I loved 3:10 to Yuma, but I don't think it is the best Western movie.  For my money, that still goes to Unforgiven.  Unforgiven has the architype of the gun slinger along with a great cast.  It's hard to beat Eastwood as the retired broken down hero along with Morgan Freeman and Gene Hackman.

The plot has everything from the retired gun slingers turned broken down farmers trying to make one last run to right a wrong (cowboy cutting up a whore) and make enough money to get back on their feet.  It has Gene Hackman as the no nonsense sheriff deconstructing many of the myths about gun slingers to a story teller.  Then he meets up with the retired gun slinger...   

96% approval on rotten Tomatoes isn't shabby either.

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/1041911-unforgiven

That is the answer most will give to my question. I’ll get heat for this but I’m not an Unforgiven fan. I just felt like it was setting up to say something entirely different than what it ended up doing. This was supposed to be an anti-western of sorts where we have some examination and confrontation about the lawless west and violence in general, but Eastwood doesn’t really accomplish that, even a little bit, until Gran Torino. The movie makes you think it will go somewhere in that direction with Munny’s resentment toward violence, but in the end it just follows a traditional Hollywood formula. Eastwood in unforgiven, as the reluctant and retired cowboy out to right a wrong that hates violence and has walked away after his wife’s passing, still just goes in and smokes them in the end, effortlessly saving the day with no remorse or greater thought applied to the matter. It’s almost an affirmation of the west and the violent justice that exclusively belongs to men in that world, even when they allegedly don’t want it. 

It was unsatisfying to me since it was just a typical western. It’s what you’d expect Eastwood to do. It wasn’t justice though.  I also don’t know that killing 75 people is warranted for for cutting up a prostitute, as awful and horrific as that was. The movie goes to great lengths to show the mythologies of the west weren’t what they seemed and in many cases outright lies, and then leaves us with the triumphant showdown 1 vs 10 or whatever it ended up being and Eastwood walks out a celebrated and glorified hero of legend, completely erasing the supposed idea of the film. 

I also really don’t like Gene Hackman in general and did not care for his Little Bill. I understand why people love the movie, but it wasn’t for me. 

Edited by Momma There Goes That Man

Wife and I are breaking up The Dark Knight, and with a straight face an hour in the first night she's asks me if it gets better.

I politely reassure her, but I'm telling you the same thing I plan to tell her when the movie is over, that my astral projection stared at her Sam Jackson style when she asked that.

samuel-l-jackson-mad.gif

And I want to add that she liked Batman Begins, which leaves me even more flabbergasted. 

Edited by Renegade7
  • Haha 4