Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The last movie you saw......GO! (After you read the OP!!!!)

renaissance

Watched the original Matrix trilogy. Not that there is a non original trilogy. Anyways, I almost never re-watch movies. So, I needed to catch up on the series so I know what is going on when the 4th drops this December.

They are still quite good movies. I remember that the second and third weren't as good according to experts. But, I feel that was mainly due to them not bringing more genre defining theatrics/movie making. My wife and I really enjoyed them even though a bit of special effects seem out of date these days. The story still held well IMO.

I can't wait for the 4th..

• Like 1

King Richard. 

Joe Posnanski wrote a blog post about all the things that Hollywood took liberties with, it was pretty illuminating:

Now, make no mistake, Richard Williams IS a larger-than-life figure … but it’s never quite as simple as the movie tries to make it. For instance, the movie starts exactly where you would expect it to start — in Compton, 1980s, a loving father using dead tennis balls to teach his daughters to play tennis on a glass-strewn public court while gang members surround them. This is absolutely an accurate portrayal of what happened and a striking movie scene.

But it does leave something out: Richard Williams purposely moved his family to Compton so that his daughters would grow up in what he called “the ghetto.” When Venus was born, the Williams family was living in a quiet and tranquil neighborhood in Long Beach — they were a block away from the beach — and that is when Richard (against the wishes of his wife) moved the whole family to Compton.

That was part of the plan to raise a tennis champion.

“What led me to Compton,” Williams would write, “was my belief that the greatest champions came out of the ghetto. I had studied sports successes like Muhammad Ali, and great thinkers like Malcolm X. I saw where they came from. As part of my plan, I decided it was where the girls were going to grow up, too. It would make them tough, give them a fighter’s mentality. They’d be used to combat. And how much easier would it be to play in front of thousands of white people if they had already learned how to play in front of scores of armed gang members.”

This complicates the story just a little, doesn’t it?

There’s no question that Richard Williams was every bit as loving as the movie makes him out to be. But he also used to bus in children to surround the court and verbally abuse Venus and Serena in the vilest ways imaginable. That’s not in the movie.

He would make sure his daughters made straight A’s and wrote in their journals nightly. But he also used to break beer bottles behind the baseline so that Venus and Serena would never back up on a ball. That’s not in the movie.

Etc, etc.

But Posnanski also goes on to say that this movie is a love letter from Venus and Serena to him, it's a movie as how they see their father.  Which, IMO, is what really matters.

It was a really good movie.  Will Smith did a great job, so did the girls that play his daughters.  And the woman who played the mother was absolutely fantastic, too.  

Solid B/B+.  I liked it a lot more than I thought I was going to.  

Edited by Spaceman Spiff
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got around to watching the new Candyman last night…

On the one hand, it is a very well made movie.  Excellent cinematography and execution all around.

On the other, as a big fan of the original, the tone was just a bit off for me.  Not so much a hard horror slasher (and the original was certainly that!), more of a highly-styled meditation on modern race-relations with some horror elements fused in.  A bit overstuffed, imo.

Definitely worth a watch tho…let’s say 6/10.  A better than average 90 minutes of horror.

• Sad 1

Saw “Being the Ricardo’s” today. The main plot of the movie is a week in the life of Lucy and Desi, when it was outed that she joined the communist party when she was young and how they responded.

This apparently happened during Season 2 of I Love Lucy and could’ve ended her career.

You also had flashbacks to earlier points in Lucy and Desi’s life. Also, they had older versions of the characters(writers,showrunner)  that worked on the show, doing interviews interspersed throughout the movie.

Nicole Kidman did a great job as Lucille Ball.

Movie gets a solid B.

Edited by Rdskns2000
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

The Professional, watched it with my wife the other night, it was her first time. 

She didn't recognize Natalie Portman at first, she steals the movie, and Gary Oldman is a master at his craft as always.

A+.

I'm not really a movie buff, hubby got me to watch it & I loved it. 

I'll watch anything Gary Oldman does.  Sid & Nancy is one of my faves as well, first thing I saw him in.  Fabulous.

• Like 2

Grosse Pointe Blank. This movie was a lot of fun and Minnie Driver was amazing. I think it's the first time I've seen her acting and it was off the charts, imo. As the movie unfolded I half-expected all of Cusack's high school buddies to all be secretly competing hitmen...both Jeremy Piven's character and the peace officer guy had odd sudden entrances and weird vibes, like a twist was waiting to happen.

The Paper. Michael Keaton, Glenn Close, and Marisa Tomei. This was supposedly a comedy-drama but it was quite mean-spirited and dark. The treatment given to Tomei's character was overly harsh and uncomfortable...I could not relate to (or comprehend) any of the dialogue and situations she was forced to suffer through. It seemed down-right malicious at times :( I actually had to mute the movie during the office in-fighting scene when everyone was yelling at each other at the same time.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Saw “The Kings Man” the prequel to Kingsman movies. I’ll give it a B- .

It was slow for the first half but got better when it picked up. It’s basically an origin story but it also felt like a WW1 movie since the movie was set in that time period.

Edited by Rdskns2000

8 hours ago, Rdskns2000 said:

Saw “The Kings Man” the prequel to Kingsman movies. I’ll give it a B- .

It was slow for the first half but got better when it picked up. It’s basically an origin story but it also felt like a WW1 movie since the movie was set in that time period.

Is it as bloody as the others?  I'm planning on Xmas.

Watching "Don't Look Up", im not done yet, but I'm telling you now, its may be satire, but it is terrifyingly realistic and plausible.  It's like watching Idiocracy, but worse.

Edit: A+ after finishing it, but I'm telling you, it pissed me off so badly because thats so us right now.

Edited by Renegade7
  • Like 1

Don't Look Up - 8/10

LOL I had no clue this movie was basically a movie poking fun at the previous administration and our society as a whole right now. I thought it was like Armageddon or something. It's hilariously true and if you are a Trump fan you will not like the movie. It only got better as it went on as far as it representing what is going in in our society. I will say though, skip the scene like 30 seconds into the credits.

Matrix Resurrections was extremely clever. 

Anyone trying to compare it to the original is a moron and just looking for reasons not to like the movie. Some good social commentary in the movie and Neil Patrick Harris was excellent in his role. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

Watching "Don't Look Up", im not done yet, but I'm telling you now, its may be satire, but it is terrifyingly realistic and plausible.  It's like watching Idiocracy, but worse.

Edit: A+ after finishing it, but I'm telling you, it pissed me off so badly because thats so us right now.

Spoiler

It was quite refreshing to finally see a story where no one saves the day and mankind is just completely destroyed.

59 minutes ago, Hersh said:

Matrix Resurrections was extremely clever. 

Anyone trying to compare it to the original is a moron and just looking for reasons not to like the movie. Some good social commentary in the movie and Neil Patrick Harris was excellent in his role. 

Just watched Matrix 4 on HBOMax. Waiting for the end credits scene.

The first hour was a mess I thought; at least until Neo realized who he really was. The rest of the movie was okay. I don’t think we really needed another Matrix movie.  I’ll give C+. I just thought it was an average movie.

Yeah, me not huge fan of new Matrix. I don't think I'm moran, how ever I fond et messing a bit.

To me there were too many flashbacks. I understand that was part of the story, however, I thought it was forced. Additionally, two main characters were missing and it was noticeable. Didn't know much going into it, but afterwards, I found it really disappointing that Laurence Fishburne wasn't even approached about coming back. Big fail in my opinion. Don't care if that was the point of the story either.

And while I like Jonathan Groff just fine, Hugo Weaving was a huge loss as well. How would we like to remake the Harry Potters with a different Ron Weasley and Severus Snape? It doesn't work no matter the reason.

C to C+

P.S. Neal Patrick Harris was great along with Keanu and the Carrie Anne Moss

Edited by Fan since a Fetus

I think Matrix 4 was a 7.5 out of 10 type of movie.  

"The Matrix" blew my mind.  So much so that I have ignored the 2nd and 3rd movies.  I probably did watch them at some point, but I walled my brain against associating them to the original. So my teenage son wants to see Matrix 4.  

It is true to the story, but lacked the impact of the first one.  Its a good ride, but didn't blow my mind like the first one.

We also saw Spiderman: No Way Home.  Probably the best Spiderman to date, ever.   It's a 10/10 superhero movie... but might only be a 9/10 movie if you are not into that genre.